• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

I didn't enjoy the Uncharted series that much (even if I bought all 3 of them lol), and I know nothing of the game, is it a survival-horror game ? Is the gunplay more satisfying than Uncharted ?
What I mean is, do I have a chance of liking TLoU if I didn't like Uncharted that much ?

I didn't enjoy the Uncharted series that much (even if I bought all 3 of them lol), and I know nothing of the game, is it a survival-horror game ? Is the gunplay more satisfying than Uncharted ?
What I mean is, do I have a chance of liking TLoU if I didn't like Uncharted that much ?

There was a thread answering that very question somewhere on gaf. The result:

Your opinion of Uncharted will have no bearing on if you enjoy TLOU. The majority of people seem to love it so its a safe bet.

Dennis

Banned
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I just realized the thread has been moved to Community. Now no one will ever see my screenshots.

rekameohs

Banned
Made it through Fall now.

I enjoyed the sequence at the end, but I still think the end of Summer was more powerful. My favorite section of Fall was
landing in the room full of clickers in the college.

Winter looks fantastic so far.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I just realized the thread has been moved to Community. Now no one will ever see my screenshots.

I saw and was amazed by your screenshot Dennis.
Yeah I might be the only one.

LuuKyK

I love your screenshots. Keep them coming. :D

just got the game and the animations keep skipping/freezeing. the frame rate drops n spots and the fan is 3x louder on my ps3.

the game is unplayable.

does not ahppenw ith other games

any help?

Still waiting for numbers, but in the NPD thread it's been revealed that TLoU had the second highest launch for a PS3 first party title behind GoW3. It blows my mind that it actually topped the Uncharted games.

RoKKeR

Can't believe the numbers for TLoU, so amazing. New IP, late in the gen, June, and it still fucking dominates. Shows that quality and vision sell just as much as a big name or sequel. Seriously, beating Uncharted 3? Speechless.

Huge congratulations to the team at Naughty Dog and Sony. Incredible job and thanks for my favorite game of all time.

Get ready for a new The Last of Us game, friends.

Can't believe the numbers for TLoU, so amazing. New IP, late in the gen, June, and it still fucking dominates. Shows that quality and vision sell just as much as a big name or sequel. Seriously, beating Uncharted 3? Speechless.

And hopefully we won't be hearing about how you can't launch a new IP late into a generation anymore. That was the excuse from many publishers as to why we were just seeing sequel after sequel instead of new IP's.

And hopefully we won't be hearing about how you can't launch a new IP late into a generation anymore. That was the excuse from many publishers as to why we were just seeing sequel after sequel instead of new IP's.

That and you remember how many morons we had on this board proclaiming a June launch for a game as being "sent to die". I wish I was taking notes during that because some serious crow should be had.

Voidance

DUDE. YES.

It's an excuse to rest on one's laurels. Kudos to Sony for green lighting an IP for a late gen release and to ND for showing everyone how it's done.

The Last of Us ~ 985K (2 editions)

19jszw.gif

Biggest debut for a new Sony IP ever, and second biggest month for a Sony IP (only trailing GoW3). Take into account the digital sales and it almost certainly did over a million in June.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
19jszw.gif

Biggest debut for a new Sony IP ever, and second biggest month for a Sony IP (only trailing GoW3). Take into account the digital sales and it almost certainly did over a million in June.

Crazy. Doesn't even include digital, right?

Nope, NPD only tracks retail releases at the moment. Nintendo has recently started releasing combined numbers on their own. So, i'm guessing that could become a trend going forward for publishers since day one digital is now a big thing.

Edit: Also worth pointing out that TLoU is had the biggest first month release of any game so far this year. Bigger than Infinite, Tomb Raider, GoW:A, GoW:J etc.

RoKKeR

Nope, NPD only tracks retail releases at the moment. Nintendo has recently started releasing combined numbers on their own. So, i'm guessing that could become a trend going forward for publishers since day one digital is now a big thing.

Edit: Also worth pointing out that TLoU is had the biggest first month release of any game so far this year. Bigger than Infinite, Tomb Raider, GoW:A, GoW:J etc.

Damn, amazing. So happy to see the game doing so well. I was a bit nervous about the potential of more The Last of Us but I think I've come to terms with it, especially after seeing these numbers. And it's Naughty Dog, they clearly know what they're doing.

Kenobi

I just beat this game. I have to say within the first 35 minutes I decided, that, I can't go w/out a Naughty Dog game next gen. I'm getting a ps4, but only when Naughty Dog announces what they are doing.

Back to the game. Amazing, amazing experience. I can't think of a time when, character and story wise, I saw thru all sides of each character in this beautiful game. lol, I'm still on the "high" of beating the game, but I was blown away. The ending? I'm still soaking that in.

taizuke

Don't know if this is old or has been mentioned before but i was looking through character concept art in the Bonuses section of the game and saw this. Pay close attention to character D which looks like Michelle Rodriguez a lot:

IMG_3642.jpg

Character A in the next picture makes me think of Michelle too.

IMG_3644.jpg

Could Michelle had been the first choice for Marlene? Or is she in the upcoming SP DLC?

Also, character G makes me think of Jamie Chung a little bit and some of those faces makes me think of other actresses as well.

Don't know if this is old or has been mentioned before but i was looking through character concept art in the Bonuses section of the game and saw this. Pay close attention to character D which looks like Michelle Rodriguez a lot:

IMG_3642.jpg

IMG_3644.jpg

Could Michelle had been the first choice for Marlene? Or is she in the upcoming SP DLC?

Also, character G makes me think of Jamie Chung a little bit and some of those faces makes me think of other actresses as well.

F looks alot like Penélope Cruz too.

lmpaler

I've been buying games during the Steam sale. Games I've wanted forever, then I come home and say I'll play a little TLoU, then I play some more of my Survivor run and then the MP stay up all night and lose sleep lol. Sigh. I love you Naughty Dog.

Also the making of video with the season pass was fantastic.

rafaelr

minnesota public radio classical did an interview with gustavo santaolalla about the music of TLoU. searched this thread, found nothing so:
mp3: http://download.publicradio.org/pod...gustavo_santaolalla_extended_20130709_128.mp3
article:http://minnesota.publicradio.org/di...stavo-santaolalla-the-last-of-us-on-top-score

Gustavo won back-to-back Oscars in 2006 and 2007, for Brokeback Mountain and Babel, respectively. And those films are indicative of Gustavo's use of space in music - silence can be one of the most effective "sounds" to use in a piece of music.

The Last of Us is no exception, as Gustavo gives the compelling story room to breathe.

He's somewhat of a pioneer on a South American instrument called the "ronroco", on which he wrote the theme for The Last of Us. We discuss the instrument at great length in our extended interview.

IMG_3642.jpg

IMG_3644.jpg

Also Jennifer Lawrence.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=69173186&highlight=#post69173186

lmpaler

No word on the DLC yet? Not even when we can expect a sneek peak?

It's only been a month since release. Let them revel in their success a moment and take their time on the single player DLC.

I have so many theories on what it could be. Two biggest ones are..

Playing as Tommy and seeing what he went through post Sarah.

Playing as Joel post Sarah, but within the 20 years before he meets Ellie. Covering how he handled the loss of his daughter, how it affected him. How he met Tess, what happened between him and Tommy, etc.

They could do a post credits DLC, but I don't think they want to.

It's only been a month since release. Let them revel in their success a moment and take their time on the single player DLC.

Playing as Joel post Sarah, but within the 20 years before he meets Ellie. Covering how he handled the loss of his daughter, how it affected him. How he met Tess, what happened between him and Tommy, etc.

I'm so used to games having DLC after a week of release. So the DLC is gonna be single player focused?

I'm so used to games having DLC after a week of release. So the DLC is gonna be single player focused?

Some multiplayer DLC and 1 single player DLC. Neil has mentioned that it's a side story and that it's still in the early days. So, I wouldn't expect to hear or see anything about it anytime soon. It's one of those DLC's where the developer didn't chop off a section to sell to us later.

Dennis

Banned
I couldn't believe my eyes when I started up Fall.

I never imagined such graphics could be possible on a console.

I swear, resolution and AA aside, the graphics surpasses most modern PC games.

raindoc

(3) Playing as Joel & Tess pre-TLoU, leading to the "Robert-problem".

I also hope for a horde mode.

Jup, the game is absolutely stunning.
I played some Crysis3 recently on a friends PC, it has similar themes. Nature reconquering urban places. And of course, the resolution is much higher and there are no jaggies, but TLoU is just more beautiful, it looks incredible and Crysis3 almost looks steril and generic in comparison.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Have you finished the game yet, and seen the other seasons? Imo... it just gets better and better. I love the final area. You must post screens of it!

Dennis

Banned
I played some Crysis3 recently on a friends PC, it has similar themes. Nature reconquering urban places. And of course, the resolution is much higher and there are no jaggies, but TLoU is just more beautiful, it looks incredible and Crysis3 almost looks steril and generic in comparison.

They are realistic yet beautiful.

Have you finished the game yet, and seen the other seasons? Imo... it just gets better and better. I love the final area. You must post screens of it!

No, still on Fall.

RoKKeR

Love this exchange:

Ellie: "So, why don't we just fix up one of these cars?"

"Oh, oh my god you're right! This whole time I've been..."

"Ohhhhh k, don't be a dick.

Ellie really becomes quite hilarious when we
get to Bill's Town.

And Dennis, please keep posting your shots, especially considering you haven't gotten to the best parts yet. ;)

Love this exchange:

Ellie: "So, why don't we just fix up one of these cars?"

"Oh, oh my god you're right! This whole time I've been..."

"Ohhhhh k, don't be a dick.

Ellie really becomes quite hilarious when we
get to Bill's Town.

Haha I just got to that part again. Love it.

So after beating it again and now going for my third attempt I feel I can safely conclude this is my

GOTG

My top 5:

1)TLoU
2)Dark Souls/Demon Souls
3)UC2
4)SMG2/1
5)Journey

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
God, just thinking about this game gets me happy. So good. Shame that I don't think I'll play anything as good in a good amount of time.

My top 5:

1)TLoU
2)Dark Souls/Demon Souls
3)UC2
4)SMG2/1
5)Journey

If you had a number six, I bet you'd choose RDR! Or well at least in the top 10.

iNvid02

look at this, its impressive but at the same time it looks so artificial and soulless

you just cant say that about tlou

unshackling these guys from current gen restraints is gonna be something

kyubajin

Beat game in two sittings, 22.7 hours, Hard mode. Can't stop thinking about it now :/ Thinking about doing a Survivor run and go for the plat and then dabble into MP.

Top Bottom