• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

TEH-CJ

Banned
This game . . . Is ok. Definitely not the "Citizen Kane" of gaming. It's starting to wear thin and get repetitious after about 6 hours in. I hope it picks up a bit.

If I had to give it an honest score, I'd think it would be around. 7/10. All these 9s are mind-boggling.

Edit: I'm more of an 'open world' and MP gamer, so I like my SP experiences short and sweet. I guess I should add that disclaimer. This feels extremely linear and slow paced to me.

lol.

Superflat

Immensely enjoyed day zero of E3, and only served to make me more excited to play this game on Friday when it's over. E3 will make the days go faster and it'll be Friday in no time!

Question: I checked the PS store and it said the game will available to download at 12:01 PST. That's 3:01 EST for us New Yorkers. So there's no midnight release for the East Coast?

Hopefully their next games on the PS4 bring back all the fun costumes and such that Uncharted 1/2 had. Only real bummer so far that I've heard, although I suppose unlike Uncharted 3 it would totally clash with the tone in a much more noticeable way. Still, would have been fun to play fat Joel.

DatDude

Banned
Hopefully their next games on the PS4 bring back all the fun costumes and such that Uncharted 1/2 had. Only real bummer so far that I've heard, although I suppose unlike Uncharted 3 it would totally clash with the tone in a much more noticeable way. Still, would have been fun to play fat Joel.

I might be crazy for wanting this...but I so much want Naughty Dog to do a Crash Reboot.

I respect all that they do with Jak and Daxter, to Uncharted, and potentially The Last of Us. But I'm really yearning for that more "simpler" type of experience from them.

OwlyKnees

ShopTo have dispatched my copy, should have it tomorrow assuming Royal Mail don't let me down.

Other ShopTooers - check your orders!

Most of the user gaf impressions say the beginning is slow but begins to pick up really quick.

But if you like open world/mp games than I'm not sure what you were thinking getting this game. Especially when you knew it's a linear 15-22 hour game, that's very narrative heavy set in mostly linear environments.

That Internet hype machine, plus I'm a fan of post-apocalyptic films and books.

It's not the fact that the game is linear that's annoying me, it's the fact that I'm realizing how linear it is as I'm playing it, you know what I mean? One of my favorite games of last year was Spec Ops. It didn't overstay it's welcome, it moved at a brisk pace and kept me engaged the whole way through. Again it's subjective, but there's something about this game that feels distant and hasn't grabbed my interest yet, although I hope I can say the opposite by the end. I'm hoping its a good slow burn.

I think there is going to be a lot of interesting discussion in the next few weeks regarding this game and it's bloated review score.

Can't wait. I am praying to the postal gods that my order manages to get from the UK to Austria within the next few days so I can shut the blinds the weekend and play until monday.

Edit: After reading a bit more through the thread it seems there is an awfull lot of people playing with a headset. Is there any dedicated thread to this matter? I just have a super flat LG TV which sounds even more flat. Can I just buy a decent pair of headphones (with mic so I can use it for BF4 aswell) and have "surround" sound or something like that? I can't afford a 5.1 speaker/recciever setup.

OwlyKnees

That Internet hype machine, plus I'm a fan of post-apocalyptic films and books.

It's not the fact that the game is linear that's annoying me, it's the fact that I'm realizing how linear it is as I'm playing it, you know what I mean? One of my favorite games of last year was Spec Ops. It didn't overstay it's welcome, it moved at a brisk pace and kept me engaged the whole way through. Again it's subjective, but there's something about this game that feels distant and hasn't grabbed my interest yet, although I hope I can say the opposite by the end. I'm hoping its a good slow burn.

I think there is going to be a lot of interesting discussion in the next few weeks regarding this game and it's bloated review score.

Uh huh.

You seemed reasonable enough until that last statement. Who are you to proclaim the review scores are bloated? Your opinion might not match, but it is just that, an opinion. If you want your own to be respected then respect others, rather than pass them off as 'bloated'.

Uh huh.

You seemed reasonable enough until that last statement. Who are you to proclaim the review scores are bloated? Your opinion might not match, but it is just that, an opinion. If you want your own to be respected then respect others, rather than pass them off as 'bloated'.

Yeah, you won't find the words "respect" and "gaming journalism" used very often in the same sentence by a lot of people.

Yeah, you won't find the words "respect" and "gaming journalism" used very often in the same sentence by a lot of people.
This has nothing to with your comment and his response

May I ask what type of game you were expecting? A branching narrative? Hub areas? I'm curious

----
And, wow I wasn't expecting NeoGaf to actually shut down yesterday. I couldn't even access the forums, kept getting the Under Maintenance screen. Not sure if that was intentional or not, but at least I got through the press conferences without any spoilers

----
Anyone else here live on the East Coast and preordered the digital version? I checked the PSN store and TLOU will be available 12:01 PST. That's 3:01 EST. So does that mean there won't be a midnight release for us New Yorkers?

This has nothing to with your comment and his response

May I ask what type of game you were expecting? A branching narrative? Hub areas? I'm curious

Please explain, I don't understand what he means by 'respect.'

I was expecting a tighter game to be honest. The pacing seems REALLY off, and it's taking me out of the experience. I'm finding myself thinking, "Oh look, another section where I have to move a ladder. I just did this 10 minutes ago, and another 10 before that."

You know when you play games and you don't notice the flaws because they just have that intangible thing that draws you in? Again, I'll bring up Spec Ops as an example. That game was flawed to hell and back, but they got a lot of things right in terms of pacing and story. With this, I feel like I'm being allowed to participate in action scenes just to advance to the next plot point.

There's one section in the game
right before Pittsburg
where it does open up and has branching paths to your destination, and to be honest, it was amazing. But then they lost that momentum and quickly went back to typical corridors and narrow paths. It they threw in more sections like that, I'd be playing the game more and not participating in this thread :)

I will give it credit though . . . the "zombies" are creepy as hell an the sound design is fantastic. I'm not saying it's a bad game, it's good, but I do think it's reeaaaalllyy overrated at this point.

Again, I want to stick through to the end, and I hope it suckerpunches my disrespectful opinion 180 degrees.

I was expecting a tighter game to be honest. The pacing seems REALLY off, and it's taking me out of the experience. I'm finding myself thinking, "Oh look, another section where I have to move a ladder. I just did this 10 minutes ago, and another 10 before that."

You know when you play games and you don't notice the flaws because they just have that intangible thing that draws you in? Again, I'll bring up Spec Ops as an example. That game was flawed to hell and back, but they got a lot of things right in terms of pacing and story. With this, I feel like I'm being allowed to participate in action scenes just to advance to the next plot point.

right before Pittsburg
where it does open up and has branching paths to your destination, and to be honest, it was amazing. But then they lost that momentum and quickly went back to typical corridors and narrow paths. It they threw in more sections like that, I'd be playing the game more and not participating in this thread :)

I will give it credit though . . . the "zombies" are creepy as hell an the sound design is fantastic. I'm not saying it's a bad game, it's good, but I do think it's reeaaaalllyy overrated at this point.

Again, I want to stick through to the end, and I hope it suckerpunches my disrespectful opinion 180 degrees.
Well I haven't played the game yet so I'll be able to give a better informed opinion on Friday. But when you mean pacing, do you mean like the ratio of combat to exploration and traversal? Or narrative pacing? Personally I like games that are slow burn, take their time, allow you to soak in the atmosphere and world. And from what I've read, the second half raises the stakes considerably and is more action focused.

And I personally don't mind "linear" level design either. I've seen some footage of the tutorial and the E3 demos and the Pittsburgh dev walkthrough and IMO I don't consider them linear. The area have multiple rooms and hallways, allowing you to flank and outmaneuver. Branching paths are always a plus, but as long as an area has some space to move, I'll be satisfied.

I forgot all about this thread.

It's good to be back.
We're discussing the game's pacing and linearity (based on preview footage and reviews, cause I haven't played yet). Join in

And only 2 more posts till I'm a member! Woohoo

----
Imporant question: Anyone else here live on the East Coast and preordered the digital version? I checked the PSN store and TLOU will be available 12:01 PST. That's 3:01 EST. So does that mean there won't be a midnight release for us New Yorkers?

Andrew.

Banned
We're discussing the game's pacing and linearity (based on preview footage and reviews, cause I haven't played yet). Join in

And only 2 more posts till I'm a member! Woohoo

----
Imporant question: Anyone else here live on the East Coast and preordered the digital version? I checked the PSN store and TLOU will be available 12:01 PST. That's 3:01 EST. So does that mean there won't be a midnight release for us New Yorkers?

Dude you're quickly becoming the second coming of RPGCRazied in the original Xenoblade thread.

Plasmid

Guys i'm looking for some PS3 headsets that are cheap but effective, i would assume they exist? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Found an adapter for my turtlebeach.

3 days!

God dammit, Friday. Get here faster!

I'm already planning to pick up the Season Pass, not sure whether the guide is worth getting or not. I'm in full-on hype mode, so if they make it, I'll buy it.

Well I haven't played the game yet so I'll be able to give a better informed opinion on Friday. But when you mean pacing, do you mean like the ratio of combat to exploration and traversal? Or narrative pacing? Personally I like games that are slow burn, take their time, allow you to soak in the atmosphere and world. And from what I've read, the second half raises the stakes considerably and is more action focused.

And I personally don't mind "linear" level design either. I've seen some footage of the tutorial and the E3 demos and the Pittsburgh dev walkthrough and IMO I don't consider them linear. The area have multiple rooms and hallways, allowing you to flank and outmaneuver. Branching paths are always a plus, but as long as an area has some space to move, I'll be satisfied.

That is what definetely game is. It lets you soak the atmosphere, let you understand what kind of world it is. Slowly lets you get to know characters and their personalities, etc... Basically prepares you for the second part's long sprint. The game feels so mature. Its exceptional how Naughty Dog went from sweet platformers to a game with much maturity in it. This game basically destroys every other game in the survival genre.

DukeBobby

I kind of regret pre-ordering from Green Man Gaming, as I've never ordered a console game from them before. Hopefully, they deliver the game on time.

That is what definetely game is. It lets you soak the atmosphere, let you understand what kind of world it is. Slowly lets you get to know characters and their personalities, etc... Basically prepares you for the second part's long sprint. The game feels so mature. Its exceptional how Naughty Dog went from sweet platformers to a game with much maturity in it. This game basically destroys every other game in the survival genre.
Can't wait then.

Slow burn games are rare. Usually they're sandbox games like Skyrim or GTA, where I love just walking across the game world, people watching, taking in the sights. But that's at the expense of narrative and story pacing

Very few narrative focused games are "slow burn". Heavy Rain and "slow" stealth games like Splinter Cell, Dishonored, and Hitman are the only ones I can think of. I think that's why I love the stealth genre, you can take your time, listen and watch, you're not being rushed. And now I guess we can add The Last of Us to that list.

I'm an avid hiker and love jaw dropping natural vistas. So I cant wait to soak in the atmosphere of overgrown cities and the natural areas we'll probably encounter once the duo travels west.

DatDude

Banned

right before Pittsburg

Have you ever played an Uncharted game? For us this is nothing new.

An also, there's nothing wrong about disliking a game..but there is alot of wrong about making an opinion about the OVERALL game (and don't say you haven't, you have.) when your so incredibly early on.

That's just as bad as saying I hate a film, after watching just 20 minutes of it.

Just finish the game, and give your total impressions than.

iNvid02

I'm going to watch the Jack Tretton used games/DRM announcement for the next 3 days.

I got chills, man.

yeah it was a great feeling but the more i thought about it i realized this might backfire. although first parties will keep the status quo, the other pubs are free to what they want. i dont see any one of them diving in first and announcing DRM restrictions on their game(s) as the backlash would no doubt effect sales. but if the 3 biggest pubs conspire and agree they will all use the same DRM for their games on PS4 its gonna be a massive blow. add to that the PS+ paywall for MP now and the only good thing left would be $399.

worst case scenario i guess, E3 and no TLOU making me crazy

I'm talking about pacing in terms of 'stuff happening,' meaning combat, narrative elements, etc. There's a lot of walking around and snippets of 'move this ladder over there . . . .' dialogue between the more interesting segments. It's feels really repetitive. Like the segment I mentioned earlier in the spoiler text, there was one section that did it perfectly, but that was once in 7-8 hours. Well discuss it more after you get a chance to play.

And to the poster who said this is the best survival-horror, I strongly but respectfully disagree. Metro LL and Spec Ops (yeah I consider that 'survival horror' based on the plot :) ) are two recent examples that have done it better in recent memory.

Finally, I'm a full member!!!

Okay, back on topic...that launch trailer was awesome. Didn't think my hype could increase any more, but that trailer did it.

Was hoping for an Uncharted 4 teaser to close out the conference, like they did with TLOU last year, but I think Sony got the cheers it was looking for with that used game announcement...

Anyway, only two and half more days to go. Can't believe I'm finally going to be able to play the game this week. Still remember seeing that first gameplay reveal last E3 and my jaw just dropping.

I'm talking about pacing in terms of 'stuff happening,' meaning combat, narrative elements, etc. There's a lot of walking around and snippets of 'move this ladder over there . . . .' dialogue between the more interesting segments. It's feels really repetitive. Like the segment I mentioned earlier in the spoiler text, there was one section that did it perfectly, but that was once in 7-8 hours. Well discuss it more after you get a chance to play.

And to the poster who said this is the best survival-horror, I strongly but respectfully disagree. Metro LL and Spec Ops (yeah I consider that 'survival horror' based on the plot :) ) are two recent examples that have done it better in recent memory.
What constitutes survival horror for you? Is a creepy narrative? Twisted enemy design? Atmosphere? On-edge combat? What you consider survival horror might not be what he or I consider survival horror

Even so, ND has said many times that The Last of Us isn't survival horror. It's survival action and I think that's a critical difference. You're not supposed to be scared, you're supposed to be tense.

DatDude

Banned

But this game isn't meant to be survival horror.

It's survival action.

Am I the only one who's having trouble getting onto the site? Most of times I try, I get a Neogaf Maintenance screen and then on rare occasion, I can reach the site.

Is that because it's E3 week or something?

Top Bottom