• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
^ Sessler said it's been almost 3 weeks since he finished The Last of Us and he still can't stop thinking about it.

Finished it last night.

I was a little apprehensive going in because of all the overwhelming praise potentially setting it up for a fall, but while there are dips and inconsistencies, it's very, very good indeed, at times exceptional. I did feel towards the end that it was entirely the narrative that was driving me on rather than how it plays - while the combat's got a frantic, tense feel that reminded me in places of Resi 4, there are a couple of encounters where you're really going through the same motions but in different settings/contexts. Also, there's a lovely natural ending where I thought the game was going to finish - and would arguably have been better for doing so - and then it goes on a little further. That said, the final scene is really well judged, even if I think it will prove divisive.

Characterisation and acting are pretty much second to none. Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson deserve all the plaudits that will come their way. Gustavo Santaolalla's soundtrack is sublime.

It's very good. Some of you will adore it, others will have a few misgivings. Looking forward to reading all the reactions.

vladdamad

Finished it last night.

I was a little apprehensive going in because of all the overwhelming praise potentially setting it up for a fall, but while there are dips and inconsistencies, it's very, very good indeed, at times exceptional. I did feel towards the end that it was entirely the narrative that was driving me on rather than how it plays - while the combat's got a frantic, tense feel that reminded me in places of Resi 4, there are a couple of encounters where you're really going through the same motions but in different settings/contexts. Also, there's a lovely natural ending where I thought the game was going to finish - and would arguably have been better for doing so - and then it goes on a little further. That said, the final scene is really well judged, even if I think it will prove divisive.

Characterisation and acting are pretty much second to none. Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson deserve all the plaudits that will come their way. Gustavo Santaolalla's soundtrack is sublime.

It's very good. Some of you will adore it, others will have a few misgivings. Looking forward to reading all the reactions.

I don't really care much about the gameplay, so would you say the story is really that great? Also, what's your opinion on the intro? Is it really as incredible as everyone else is saying?

DatDude

Banned
Finished it last night.

what difficulty did you play on?

darkwing

oh man, watch out for E3 streaming sights with live comments, I think I saw a TLoU spoiler after being on media blackout , it sucks :(

DatDude

Banned
hopefully what I saw wasn't legit :( some people can be pricks

and why did Sony have to release this on E3 week??

Will be remembered more so, than being released before e3.

Sony can do a nice brief presentation on the acclaimed reviews, and the job well done of Naughty Dog, and remind people that alot of the games are still a ways off from now, but you can go pick up this awesome, highly acclaimed game this friday.

It's pretty much advertisment.

rikichi

Finished it last night.

Sweet! Can't wait to play and post my impressions as well.

Does anyone know if this has shitty DRM like Tomb Raider had on PSN? I have two PS3s in the house and would like to be able to go back and forth without much fuss.

I don't really care much about the gameplay, so would you say the story is really that great? Also, what's your opinion on the intro? Is it really as incredible as everyone else is saying?

The intro's very good indeed. I'd dial down expectations, though - it's striking but not mind-blowing. It's no match for Resi 4's village set-piece and it's the most guided the game gets. The story is very restrained - it's a road movie, really, more about character than plot. There's a destination, but you'll keep playing because you want to see how Joel and Ellie develop. I think Ellie in particular is a high watermark in terms of performance and characterisation.

Oh, and I played it on Normal difficulty. I imagine I'll get some flak for that, but my leisure time's short, and I'm not the most skilled player in the world. Felt like a tough but fair challenge for the most part, though the difficulty spiked at a handful of points, one of which wasn't a whole lot of fun. It's a game that feels longer than it is - because it really puts you through the wringer, a five minute encounter can seem like half an hour, especially where the mutants are concerned.

vladdamad

The intro's very good indeed. I'd dial down expectations, though - it's striking but not mind-blowing. It's no match for Resi 4's village set-piece and it's the most guided the game gets. The story is very restrained - it's a road movie, really, more about character than plot. There's a destination, but you'll keep playing because you want to see how Joel and Ellie develop. I think Ellie in particular is a high watermark in terms of performance and characterisation.

Oh, and I played it on Normal difficulty. I imagine I'll get some flak for that, but my leisure time's short, and I'm not the most skilled player in the world. Felt like a tough but fair challenge for the most part, though the difficulty spiked at a handful of points, one of which wasn't a whole lot of fun. It's a game that feels longer than it is - because it really puts you through the wringer, a five minute encounter can seem like half an hour, especially where the mutants are concerned.

Thanks for the impressions! Really looking forward to actually playing the damn thing now haha

DatDude

Banned

Thanks for the impressions.

What did you enjoy more the opening sequence, or the end sequence?

Definity

Week is off to a good start!

PAkgNrF.jpg

Thanks for the impressions.

What did you enjoy more the opening sequence, or the end sequence?

Hard to say without venturing into spoiler territory. Let's just say they're both good in their own ways. I think there'll be more of a consensus about the opening, but we'll see.

DatDude

Banned
2 more perfect scores added to metacritic today, creating a total of 32 perfect scores currently.

Eurogamer Germany

Cutting your teeth on astonishingly good-looking and immaculately presented fluff pieces and then going ahead to produce arguably the darkest game of this generation – that's the sort of trick only the real heavyweights can pull off. Naughty Dog's game ain't begging for sympathy, it doesn't care if you like it or not. As such, it's a wake-up call for the medium, determined that the line isn't drawn between good and evil or right and wrong, but between you and the others.

10/10

gameover.gr

Yeah, well you saw. The rating is below 10. And to be clear, 10 does not mean the game is perfect-not exist, nor will there perfect game. Contrast, is far from perfect and has his subjects. But as I mentioned at the beginning of the article, I like to think the experience (the forest) and not get bogged down with details (the trees). The experience of The Last Of Us is intense, full of emotion, with moments of extreme and shocking images. Neither is it the next Uncharted, nor any game the "killer". It is a beautiful creation, who speaks little and do much. Unfortunately, I'm sure the title will be loved by all. Many will find it boring, many will say indifferent, many will quit in the middle because "player" is not Uncharted, there are boss fights, there are no impressive set pieces, there are explosions and "American." But there are two pairs of eyes, who can speak and say what they can not say 20 games together ...

10/10

Also another score was added from AusGamer (not perfect), racking up 67 total reviews so far on Metacritic to date!

AusGamer

As the credits rolled, I found myself missing my time with Joel and Ellie, yet completely comfortable with the thought that Naughty Dog has forged a new IP where there doesn’t need to be The Last of Us 2.

9.5/10

I'm generally curious if it has the potential to hit 97 or not? I know it's about what site is weighted more? I'm curious if eurogamer germany had any leverage or not...

Sony intentionally delayed the shipment to retailers in germany to avoid an early sell. Most retailers are expecting shipment on Wednesday at the earliest. Not joking.
I'm still hoping for tomorrow...

So haven't kept up with this at all until this week. Usually I'd wait a few months for price to come down but rave reviews and the fact that its supposedly a stealth game interested me. I'm a huge stealth fan, but is this supposed to be legit stealth gameplay or like Uncharted stealth? Usually not a zombie horror fan but I'm intrigued...

Definity

Just finished the opening. Yeah, it's bad ass. Tough call if it's better than gow3 but it IS awesome. One of the best out there. Presentation so far in this game is phenomenal. I've got a feeling I'm going to sit here and play this all night. Might have to call in sick tomorrow.

Any word as to when NA PSN pre-orders can preload? I took Thursday and friday off for this game. Thursday to watch the road and Children of Men again, and then start playing.

antitrop

I skipped The Last of Us trailer in the press conference.

Was blown away by everything else, though. Made my opinions clear on Twitter while GAF was down, but suffice it to say I will be going PC + PS4 next-generation.

The $399 price tag has convinced me to pick it up probably somewhere along the line in 2014, instead of 2015 like I originally planned. My prediction for the price was $499 for both consoles. I'm obviously happy to have been wrong.

Sony dropped some bombs tonight, they took some names. They provided one of the greatest E3 moments in history.

DatDude

Banned
Now that we had that conference, I can happily march off to play LAST OF US on Friday

Thank you based Sony :D

I'm really curious if xbox fanboys are going to start to jump ship early in light of this Microsoft fiasco, and maybe pick up a ps3 before the ps4 gets here?

Would really be nice for as many people to play the last of us as possible. Not so they can support naughty dog, but so they can experience and support the wealth of extraordinary titles that Sony's first party studio work hard on.

Any way, I can say that there's ALOT of goodwill for sony right now, and I predict this will only fuel the hype/and potentially sales for the last of us even more so.

This game . . . Is ok. Definitely not the "Citizen Kane" of gaming. It's starting to wear thin and get repetitious after about 6 hours in. I hope it picks up a bit.

If I had to give it an honest score, I'd think it would be around. 7/10. All these 9s are mind-boggling.

Edit: I'm more of an 'open world' and MP gamer, so I like my SP experiences short and sweet. I guess I should add that disclaimer. This feels extremely linear and slow paced to me.

DatDude

Banned
This game . . . Is ok. Definitely not the "Citizen Kane" of gaming. It's starting to wear thin and get repetitious after about 6 hours in. I hope it picks up a bit.

If I had to give it an honest score, I'd think it would be around. 7/10. All these 9s are mind-boggling.

Edit: I'm more of an 'open world' and MP gamer, so I like my SP experiences short and sweet. I guess I should add that disclaimer. This feels extremely linear and slow paced to me.

Most of the user gaf impressions say the beginning is slow but begins to pick up really quick.

But if you like open world/mp games than I'm not sure what you were thinking getting this game. Especially when you knew it's a linear 15-22 hour game, that's very narrative heavy set in mostly linear environments.

iISpHZPVKUI5I.gif

Top Bottom