• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

DatDude

Banned
doea anyone know here how long it takes redbox to get the game delivered to the kiosk?

I saw that The last of Us will be there on the 14th. I just wonder what time it'll get there?

I would love to buy the game honestly. But I just don't have that kind of money right now. Will definitely buy it down the line if I really like it though.

webkatt

for me the game starts off a littler slower than I would like. (the opening sequence is amazing!) however the point I am at now is pure awesomeness. It's still near the beginning but I can say stealth is a Huge part of the game.

Survival horror done right

to clarify:
if you thought you were going to be nathan drake in this game, you are mistaken

for me the game starts off a littler slower than I would like. (the opening sequence is amazing!) however the point I am at now is pure awesomeness. It's still near the beginning but I can say stealth is a Huge part of the game.

to clarify:
Thanks for the impressions. Were you on info blackout before starting or was anything spoiled for you?

Absolutely fiending for this game. So happy that I randomly decided to buy a PS3 on ebay one Sunday morning a few months ago. Perhaps I subconsciously knew I would have ended up buying one for this game sooner or later.

Have only watched trailers and short gameplay videos (from E3 2012) so I can be somewhat in the dark going into it. The little bit that I have seen looks amazing right down to the smallest details.

Preordered on PSN about a week ago. I'm in Australia but used the US PSN since it's 30 bucks cheaper there but if I'd known that all the non-US playstation stores allowed you to preload the game I probably would have happily paid $89.95 for it on the Aus store. (Not 100% sure if the Aus one does allow preloads but I recently read that all but the US one will)

It will take at least 24 hours for me to download so I probably won't get to play it till late Saturday/early Sunday (12:01 PST = 3pm Friday where I am) but I'm trying not to focus on how much I desperately want to play it right now and just occupy myself with other things in the meantime.

I've been intentionally lagging behind by like 10 pages on this thread thinking that if any serious spoilers get posted, they'll hopefully be seen to by the time I catch up... so I missed the boat on the listing your top 5 of this gen and would like to add mine, because listing things is the bestest.

1. Bioshock
2. Dishonored
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Bioshock Infinite
5. Arkham Asylum or Arkham City, can't currently decide.

Honorable mentions: Uncharted 2 (only played last week! UC3 is coming in the mail today...), Borderlands, Condemned, Silent Hill Downpour (I know it's not really up there technically but it has a special place in my heart despite its numerous significant flaws...). Fuck it, Deadly Premonition too despite it feeling downright unplayable to me some days.

I really need to check out Dark Souls considering it appears on 90% of the top 5's in this thread...

Bonus top 5 of previous generation :D

1. San Andreas
2. Silent Hill 2
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Metroid Prime
5. Bully

Super-awesome-funtime-bonus top 5 of PS1/N64 gen

1. Silent Hill
2. Super Mario 64
3. Ocarina of Time
4. Resident Evil 2
5. Castlevania: SOTN

*resists violent urge to list top 5 of snes generation*

Yes go to Settings > System settings > System information

Are you preordering to download at midnight? Just so you, if you live in the US and not on the Pacific side, then the game won't be available at midnight. I live in NY and TLOU won't be available to download till 3:01 am (12:01PST)

Thanks! I live in Vancouver, so I'll be dowoading at midnight.

DatDude

Banned

to clarify:

does it ever get repetitive like one user impression believes?

antitrop

There should be a spoiler thread by then. If not, create one yourself.

Walking into the spoiler thread before you finish the game with the intention of only discussing the opening seems like a disaster waiting to happen. :p

Discussing it in this thread with appropriate spoiler tags is perfectly acceptable.

DatDude

Banned
Thanks! I live in Vancouver, so I'll be dowoading at midnight.

So wait is it only possible to start downloading the game at midnight of thursday (or 3am estern which it'll be for me), you can't pre download it beforehand?

Also, how long would a game like this take to download?

DukeBobby

Walking into the spoiler thread before you finish the game with the intention of only discussing the opening seems like a disaster waiting to happen. :p

Discussing it in this thread with appropriate spoiler tags is perfectly acceptable.

Yeah, but you always get that one prick who can't use spoiler tags properly.

If I get spoiled in this thread, there's gonna be hell to pay.

antitrop

Spoiler threads are specifically intended for people who have completed the game already or have absolutely no opposition to learning every explicit detail of the game without a spoiler tag in sight.

The OT is always the best place to discuss the game as you're playing it.

DukeBobby

I admit that I occasionally poked my head into the Bioshock Infinite spoiler thread before finishing the game.

I had no idea what the fuck anyone was talking about.

antitrop

1. San Andreas
2. Silent Hill 2
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Metroid Prime
5. Bully

You know, the thing is, when that generation ended I decided that Resident Evil 4 was the clear winner for me, but I never thought about an entire Top 5 list for the DC/PS2/Xbox/GC gen.

Misewell...

1. Resident Evil 4
2. Counter-Strike (PC HL mod technically counts since I most actively played it from 2000 to 2004, which is actually my Freshman year of high school to my Senior year of high school)
3. Grand Theft Auto III
4. Silent Hill 2
5. Shadow of the Colossus

Making this^ list is impossible, it's like a 20-way tie for #1 because that generation was fucking amazing.

be sure to give some non spoiler impressions when you get the chance!

Ok guys I'm still really early, game says I played 1 hour and 27 minutes, 18% through and just got to the start of the demo. Playing on hard with no sight shit turned on. Hasn't seemed too hard. So far it's been very linear, very simple in terms of go here, hide, kill, repeat. Not a lot of platforming, or items to find. As for the cutscenes, graphics, and sound/dialog... fucking awesome. Great performances, very life like at times in both visuals and voice acting and very dank feeling.

So far really enjoying it but I do hope it picks up a bit. It's a fantastic movie like experience so far, but I've not seen a whole lot of depth at the moment. Not that that's a bad thing. I don't mind linear experiences so it's not a big deal but I can see some people really dis-liking that aspect if it stays throughout. Well gotta play some more! Hope this helped a bit. Not trying to downplay the reviews and by all means the story/characters is what I'm guessing is really going to put this above some others much like Walking Dead, but also trying to check peoples expectations.

So wait is it only possible to start downloading the game at midnight of thursday (or 3am estern which it'll be for me), you can't pre download it beforehand?

Also, how long would a game like this take to download?

From what others have told me, you have to wait until it releases to download it. It'll probably take a LONG time depending on your connection speed, but supposedly the game lets you start playing once you've got 12 of the 25 gigs downloaded. My plan is to start downloading before I go to bed, then hopefully be good to go Friday morning.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I'm so weak. I just had to rent GOW Acension to play the demo. My life feels like it's on hold until this game comes out :p

vladdamad

My Amazon pre-order says that it'll be dispatched on the 14th, and will arrive sometime around 17th-18th... Is there a chance that it'll arrive early or am I stuck waiting another couple of days?

My Amazon pre-order says that it'll be dispatched on the 14th, and will arrive sometime around 17th-18th... Is there a chance that it'll arrive early or am I stuck waiting another couple of days?

It won't arrive on Sunday no matter what you do so you might have to do one day shipping to get it Saturday.

If it is an option.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
What are the chances if I go by a Super Walmart (the 24 hour one), at 12 am on thursday, do you think they would let me get a copy than?

It depends really. At my walmart, they close the electronic section off at 10 p.m.

Anyways, I just tried out the demo, and it really deflated my hype, pretty badly :(

The ending where you had to kill like 6 infected, really felt like the game was throwing me to the sharks and I felt so helpless, dying at least 5 times. I really want to like this game.

DatDude

Banned
It depends really. At my walmart, they close the electronic section off at 10 p.m.

Anyways, I just tried out the demo, and it really deflated my hype, pretty badly :(

The ending where you had to kill like 6 infected, really felt like the game was throwing me to the sharks and I felt so helpless, dying at least 5 times. I really want to like this game.

It's been said my multiple reviewers that the demo section poorly represents the actual game.

Besides, might want to consider perhaps playing on easy in that case maybe?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
It's been said my multiple reviewers that the demo section poorly represents the actual game.

Besides, might want to consider perhaps playing on easy in that case maybe?

I figured that much, I jist hope when you get up to that point you are much better equiped to fight, or rather trained a little better in tutorials.

And I refuse to play on easy :p

I figured that much, I jist hope when you get up to that point you are much better equiped to fight, or rather trained a little better in tutorials.

And I refuse to play on easy :p

I played the demo on normal and just used stealth to do that section, didn't fire a shot all demo. Did you try stealth or action?

Was at E3 all day long and got to pick up Last of Us right after....

The opening 15 minutes was the most immersive experience I've ever had playing a video game. Truly games are taking on a whole level of story telling and I completely applaud Naughty Dog.

Is there ANY chance of one of the retailers having off the shelf Survival Editions if I get there first thing? I had asked someone to pre-order it for me given I was out of town for nearly a month but lo and behold they didn't bother.

vladdamad

It won't arrive on Sunday no matter what you do so you might have to do one day shipping to get it Saturday.

If it is an option.

Good call, thanks. Might give that a go. Do you know if it's possible to edit existing orders? I'm at work at the mo and amazon is blocked, so I can't check

DatDude

Banned
Is there ANY chance of one of the retailers having off the shelf Survival Editions if I get there first thing? I had asked someone to pre-order it for me given I was out of town for nearly a month but lo and behold they didn't bother.

maybe. i'd say walmart or best buy is your closest possible bet

Grudy

This game is easily the best I've played in the last 4 years maybe. Absolutely stunning from narrative to game play. Very, very brutal and I loved it.

Grudy

Yep, just over an hour ago and my head is still spinning from how good the experience was. Took me 18.5 hours on hard in case anyone needs to know.

DatDude

Banned
Yep, just over an hour ago and my head is still spinning from how good the experience was. Took me 18.5 hours on hard in case anyone needs to know.

Could you talk about your experience on hard?

Were there fewer items to craft? Where there fewer ammo for your weapons? Did you feel more under powered at all, and did that leave you resorting to more stealthy options?

crispyben

My Amazon.fr order status is "shipping soon" now, and since I have Amazon Premium (French equivalent of Prime), it might be here tomorrow... Woo!

vladdamad

To those who have played it, what's the ratio of combat/stealth to slow, meandering story moments when you're just exploring? I loved some of the footage of Joel and Ellie just walking around without enemies, taking in the world, so I was wondering if that's representative of the game as a whole

Top Bottom