• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Fuck PSN, game comes out in two days and there is no preload? Should have just ordered it from Shopto.

so I missed the boat on the listing your top 5 of this gen and would like to add mine, because listing things is the bestest.

Yes, yes it is.

I don't honestly know if I could list my top 5 this gen. I dearly love LBP and Wipeout HD, for instance, but comparatively I haven't actually played them all that much. Demon's Souls would be top and I guess Uncharted 2 would be up there and probably Batman: Arkham Asylum. Hmmm. I don't know - stop putting all this pressure on me! Okay, I'm out; this is too stressful and the doctor told me to keep my blood pressure down.

------------

EDIT - anyway, the reason I came into this topic was to say that I checked my order for this and it's not yet been dispatched :( Tesco have never let me down in the past, so I hope it's here by Friday. At least one guy on the Eurogamer forum has had his order cancelled under pretence of a pricing error, but I've had no such comeback and that was a couple of weeks ago.

Grudy

Could you talk about your experience on hard?

Were there fewer items to craft? Where there fewer ammo for your weapons? Did you feel more under powered at all, and did that leave you resorting to more stealthy options?

Well I didn't try the game on normal or survivor so I can't really compare the amount of supplies. However, around 90% of the time I am usually on extremely limited ammo, I think the most I've seen on any gun were 10 bullets on my revolver and they run out fast. The fact that you can hold all your weapons all the time helps a lot though; so I always had a few bullets to fight with in case stealth didn't work. The bow was usually my go to weapon since there's a chance to retrieve your arrows if they didn't break on impact.

Most of the time I tried to rely on stealth to take down a few guys like the one's with shotguns and stuff because they really hurt. If I get caught I fight or run away and go stealth again, depending on my health.

DatDude

Banned
Well I didn't try the game on normal or survivor so I can't really compare the amount of supplies. However, around 90% of the time I am usually on extremely limited ammo, I think the most I've seen on any gun were 10 bullets on my revolver and they run out fast. The fact that you can hold all your weapons all the time helps a lot though; so I always had a few bullets to fight with in case stealth didn't work. The bow was usually my go to weapon since there's a chance to retrieve your arrows if they didn't break on impact.

Most of the time I tried to rely on stealth to take down a few guys like the one's with shotguns and stuff because they really hurt. If I get caught I fight or run away and go stealth again, depending on my health.

How much ammo does it take to kill a human enemy? Is it 1 for the head? They don't become bullet sponges do they?

What about the infected, and the other creatures? Do they ever become ridicoulous bullet sponges?

dB5i6Ni.jpg

Grudy

To those who have played it, what's the ratio of combat/stealth to slow, meandering story moments when you're just exploring? I loved some of the footage of Joel and Ellie just walking around without enemies, taking in the world, so I was wondering if that's representative of the game as a whole

It's actually a pretty good portion of the game.

How much ammo does it take to kill a human enemy? Is it 1 for the head? They don't become bullet sponges do they?

What about the infected, and the other creatures? Do they ever become ridicoulous bullet sponges?

Yep, 1 shot to the head. Guns deal different amounts of damage but in general they'll take 2 to 3 bullets before they drop dead, perhaps 4 if your shot glanced through 'em or they have armor. As for the infected, runners are same as regular humans 2 to 3 bullets but clickers I think take a 1 or 2 more to die. Not really sure what bullet sponge is, sorry :[

AJ_Wings

To those who have played it, what's the ratio of combat/stealth to slow, meandering story moments when you're just exploring? I loved some of the footage of Joel and Ellie just walking around without enemies, taking in the world, so I was wondering if that's representative of the game as a whole

The game does an excellent job with pacing itself and mixing exploration, stealth, combat and storytelling. There are quite a lot of moments when you're simply just on your own exploring punctuated with sudden and intense combat. The game rarely throws enemy waves after waves. The one moment it did, I thought it kinda stumbled but thankfully it doesn't do a lot.

DatDude

Banned
The game does an excellent job with pacing itself and mixing exploration, stealth, combat and storytelling. There are quite a lot of moments when you're simply just on your own exploring punctuated with sudden and intense combat. The game rarely throws enemy waves after waves. The one moment it did, I thought it kinda stumbled but thankfully it doesn't do a lot.

Is the beginning as slow as most people are saying?>

AJ_Wings

Yes it is. Personally I really liked the first couple of hours and at how the game eased me in into the mechanics.

I'm interested at how long I'm gonna take the first couple of chapters in subsequent playthroughs.

DatDude

Banned
Still in my first playthrough, 15 hours and 20 minutes. Nearly at the end so I guess it's 16 to 18 in total.

Definitely one of the longer non-RPG single-player games I've played in a long time.

I heard the 2nd half of the game is much more quicker paced, and feels very "impactful", do you sense that as well?

Andrew.

Banned
doea anyone know here how long it takes redbox to get the game delivered to the kiosk?

I saw that The last of Us will be there on the 14th. I just wonder what time it'll get there?

I would love to buy the game honestly. But I just don't have that kind of money right now. Will definitely buy it down the line if I really like it though.

All these posts and you're not even fucking buying it? Jesus H Christ.

DatDude

Banned
All these posts and you're not even fucking buying it? Jesus H Christ.

Honestly I'm in a dire financial situation where I can't just go out spending 60$ plus tax for a video game.

I will buy it down the road though when it's cheaper, but I unfortunately cannot afford a new game right now.

But I'm still hyped as fuck to experience this.

Linconan

EB Online (AU) has sent my Joel Edition.
Once my tracking updates in the morning, i'll be driving to there like it's the end of the world!

whoop whoop!

It is slow but its not a bad thing. People's comments may make it seem like something it is not. Its not boring, it just lets you soak the state of the game world is in.

If i could change one thing about the game, i would make human encounters much more in the game instead of the infected.

Edit: Still it doesn't change the fact its the game of the decade in my eyes.

Linconan

Will EB even give it to you a day early?

Unfortunately I have to wait till after work on Friday to get mine.
Apparently,lol.
EB are usually the most tight arse people, but i'm starting to warm up to their Online site. LOL

It's already on the way (Mailbox) So yeah.
Expessed, and tracking..
=
*austin powers*
Tomorrow baby, yeeah

But once the Tracking updates in the morning saying it's at my local Postoffice. I'm gone! LOL

Apparently,lol.
EB are usually the most tight arse people, but i'm starting to warm up to their Online site. LOL

It's already on the way (Mailbox) So yeah.
Expessed, and tracking..
=
*austin powers*
Tomorrow baby, yeeah

But once the Tracking updates in the morning saying it's at my local Postoffice. I'm gone! LOL

Lucky, they are usually the strictest place in the whole country haha.

Friday can't come fast enough!

vladdamad

Sounds perfect, exactly what I wanted from this game. Thanks!

Linconan

Lucky, they are usually the strictest place in the whole country haha.

Friday can't come fast enough!
I know.
I remember years ago i showed them proof Halo2 was already being sold, and they still didn't want to budge and wanted to keep their midnight launch,lol.

But sometimes we (the gamers) get lucky ;) even "IF" it just a day early.
Because that one extra day, can kill us. Sometimes. LOL
I was doing laps and flipping tables (dramatized of course), once the Last of Us demo came out, and i thought i can wait.
Plus then people getting the full game early, and posted up vids (intro) and whatnot..*sigh
Tempting
I thought no no no, i can do this, i can hold off lol.

And,..I survived yes...barely,lol.

Tomorrow, the gaming gods will have shined on me, and the gates are opening.
And, my body is ready.
*wipes tear*

I love the sound of this. I know some have being saying the game's actually quite linear but the E3 demos and Pittsburgh video indicate more open ended combat scenarios. Would you say that most combat is open (like multiple paths and room to flank, etc)?

flattie

Shopto have shipped my copy this morning :) God I cannot wait to get my teeth into this bad boy. Metroid Prime 3 might be the last time I was this excited for a new release.

crispyben

My Amazon.fr order status is "shipping soon" now, and since I have Amazon Premium (French equivalent of Prime), it might be here tomorrow... Woo!
It shipped, but it's still scheduled to arrive on Friday, and they sent it via the postal system, not a transporter like they usually do for 24-hour delivery :( It's not far from Orléans to Paris, come on La Poste, you can do it!

synce

When I realized this wasn't your ordinary game:

Watching Ellie walk over to the toy Ben dropped, waiting for me to turn around, then stuffing it in her backpack as I'm not looking.

And the moment the game became a 10/10 for me:

Taking control of Ellie, stabbing grown dudes in the neck.

Finished it two days ago, already halfway through Survivor mode.

AJ_Wings

Finished @ 16 hours. Loved it.

Looking forward to hearing people's opinions on the ending. When does the spoiler thread usually be up?

When I realized this wasn't your ordinary game:

Watching Ellie walk over to the toy Ben dropped, waiting for me to turn around, then stuffing it in her backpack as I'm not looking.

And the moment the game became a 10/10 for me:

Taking control of Ellie, stabbing grown dudes in the neck.

Finished it two days ago, already halfway through Survivor mode.

Did you play on Normal or Hard mode first? And how does Survivor mode compare?

I know me and a few others were curious what the differences are between Survivor and the other difficulties. Is it just less player health, more enemy health and damage? Or there less supplies, better equipped enemies, remixed enemies, etc.?

And any spoiler-free impressions?

I'm at 25% in 2.5h.
What I find weird is the fact how brutal everyone is. Most of the times the situation is not that difficult yet you only have the possibility to kill everyone to continue.
It sort of suffers from the same problem as Naughty Dog's Uncharted.

Hooray, mine is on its way - so I'll get it tomorrow most likely.

The actual enemy design scares the crap out of me, so I'm going to be in for a tense ride.

synce

I know me and a few others were curious what the differences are between Survivor and the other difficulties. Is it just less player health, more enemy health and damage? Or there less supplies, better equipped enemies, remixed enemies, etc.?

Finished it on Normal first without playing any demo or seeing any videos, took me 14 hours and I died 50+ times... Compared to that though Survivor isn't too hard, in fact I'm holding up better in some parts. Enemies/HP/damage seem the same, but there are almost no crafting items or ammo and you can't use listen mode.

Stampy

Got the game, will play in about an hour. Any advices what is the best way to play it. Haven't followed much of the news regarding this game. Listen mode on /off, difficulty, etc?

Andrew.

Banned

Take a breath or two. Youve already got part of the game spoiled for you right? Why do you need to know every single minute detail? Do you not want ANY surprises? You're like an 8 year old on a damn sugar bender with this.

Top Bottom