• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

antitrop

All this talk of Generation Kill keeps reminding me of my most wanted game of all time.

A true modern military survival horror game. No, not Spec Ops: The Line. That's not what I'm thinking about.

The concept for the now-cancelled 'Six Days in Fallujah' is probably the closest game developers have come to attempting to achieve my vision. A game that shows the true horrors of war. Something that makes Spec Ops look like Viva Pinata.

A game that represents the thoughts that go through my head every single day.

And that would truly be a scary game, indeed.

I'll probably just start with it on, and then turn it off later in the game if I feel its really taking me out of the experience. My 2nd play-through will definitely be with it off, though.

DatDude

Banned
I can't tell if there's alot of hype for this game or not.

This thread is basically the same 5-10 members posting...not seeing alot of new faces.

Either people are still in the e3 phase..or alot of people have forgotten about this game in the mean time.

Andrew.

Banned
All this talk of Generation Kill keeps reminding me of my most wanted game of all time.

A true modern military survival horror game. No, not Spec Ops: The Line. That's not what I'm thinking about.

The concept for the now-cancelled 'Six Days in Fallujah' is probably the closest game developers have come to attempting to achieve my vision.

A game that shows the true horrors of war. Something that makes Spec Ops look like Viva Pinata.

Sounds like Six Days in Fallujah though I completely understand the controversy in releasing something like that.

It was way too soon they announced developing it after it occurred. A Fallujah game/recreation would be more feasible later next gen or even after, when more time has passed.

I always thought Hollywood jumped the gun on United 93 and WTC.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

This thread is basically the same 5-10 members posting...not seeing alot of new faces.

Either people are still in the e3 phase..or alot of people have forgotten about this game in the mean time.

I am deliberately avoiding this thread so time can go faster and I won't get spoiled.

antitrop

Sounds like Six Days in Fallujah though I completely understand the controversy in releasing something like that.
I'm glad Six Days was cancelled, though. Not because of the controversy, but because I actually had very little faith in the developers of that game to make anything good.

Considering that after Six Days was cancelled they followed it up with Breach, which is sitting at a 50-something on Metacritic.

I want a more competent developer to tackle that concept, because it's a fucking GOLD MINE.

Pachimari

I noticed this as well. It were like, there were lots of people when the reviews popped up and then it dwindled down. Yes, I believe there's a huge hype, and those many people are keeping out of the thread because the street date has been broken and there's lot of spoilers (fake also) going around on the internet. I think they just want to be on the safe side of things - and fair game. :)

The concept for the now-cancelled 'Six Days in Fallujah' is probably the closest game developers have come to attempting to achieve my vision. A game that shows the true horrors of war. Something that makes Spec Ops look like Viva Pinata.

A game that represents the thoughts that go through my head every single day.

And that would truly be a scary game, indeed.
It's shame that Six Days got cancelled. Nowadays it probably would have been developed. A military game, with survival horror trappings? I'd snatch that up in a heartbeat

If you're into military nonfiction, I highly recommend the memoirs Joker One by Donavan Campbell and House to House by David Bellavia. And I highly highly recommend the documentary Restrepo. That is a must see

I'm sure there are a ton of people that are checking it, but, we all know that not much new is going to be talked about until release.

DrBo42

VERY INITIAL THOUGHTS:

- Cool intro, of course over hyped and therefore lessening the effect (thanks mouth breathers) but cool
- Damn look at all these jaggies
- #TLoUPS4NoJaggies
- Great ambiance
- AI already taking me out of the experience by running through a room I'm crouch-walked in
- Damn at these jaggies
- Sound design is fantastic (hope the sound for stepping on mounds of dirt or rock isn't the constant shifting brick sound from the demo)
- Slow burn at this stage is much to the game's benefit

Once the game officially releases, rising a tidal wave of hype and critical acclaim, this thread is going to be packed

Only ~27 hours to go!!

antitrop

If you're into military nonfiction, I highly recommend the memoirs Joker One by Donavan Campbell and House to House by David Bellavia. And I highly highly recommend the documentary Restrepo. That is a must see

Restrepo was absolutely fantastic! Made me a bit disappointed I never got to go to Afghanistan. My two Iraq deployments were sandwiched in between 2 Afghan deployments, but I didn't have enough time to do more than 2 deployments without extending my contract.

In hindsight I wish I would have, but at the time all I wanted to do was GTFO back to civilian life.

Surprisingly I just bought a game called Quell Memento for my vita for £3 I've been playing it for 3 hours now. Anybody that is dying of the wait try it out :p

DatDude

Banned
All right I'm gonna play this through the rest of the night (it's 3 now and I gotta go at 6) on Survival. Kinda like it on Survival because it fits the theme of surviving - normally I shy away from the hard difficulties.

It's unfortunate it can't be played from the get go. This is the ultimate feeling i'm trying to capture on my first play through.

How would you say the ammo and crafting options are handled?

VERY INITIAL THOUGHTS:

- Cool intro, of course over hyped and therefore lessening the effect (thanks mouth breathers) but cool
- Damn look at all these jaggies
- #TLoUPS4NoJaggies
- Great ambiance
- AI already taking me out of the experience by running through a room I'm crouch-walked in
- Damn at these jaggies
- Sound design is fantastic (hope the sound for stepping on mounds of dirt or rock isn't the constant shifting brick sound from the demo)
- Slow burn at this stage is much to the game's benefit

Are there any jaggies?

:p

At least it has a ton of ambiance. I'm mostly looking forward to the immersion. Which I've heard is stellar. I've read that it's one of the most immersive games that some have ever played.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Nowhere around me is doing a midnight launch... have to find someone willing to break street date around here. Would like to really dig into the singleplayer before jumping on MP with friends during the weekend.

DrBo42

Are there any jaggies?

:p

At least it has a ton of ambiance. I'm mostly looking forward to the immersion. Which I've heard is stellar. I've read that it's one of the most immersive games that some have ever played.

The immersion is absolutely there. There's something I did in the game that I'm still thinking about. It's a minor thing in the context of gameplay this generation and not story related but it still makes me a little sad thinking about it at work.

Restrepo was absolutely fantastic! Made me a bit disappointed I never got to go to Afghanistan. My two Iraq deployments were sandwiched in between 2 Afghan deployments, but I didn't have enough time to do more than 2 deployments without extending my contract.

In hindsight I wish I would have, but at the time all I wanted to do was GTFO back to civilian life.
By far my favorite military documentary and personally one of favorite documentaries ever. It was just so raw. That footage when the unit learn that their friend and fellow soldier was killed...heart breaking
---

Okay back on topic
So how big a backlash should we expect? That always happens with highly received games like this

Nowhere around me is doing a midnight launch... have to find someone willing to break street date around here. Would like to really dig into the singleplayer before jumping on MP with friends during the weekend.

h1DF660C7

It's gonna be the only way you'll get away with it.

Az

24 hour WalMart is your friend. How I got Killzone 2.

Pachimari

By far my favorite military documentary and personally one of favorite documentaries ever. It was just so raw. That footage when the unit learn that their friend and fellow soldier was killed...heart breaking
---

Okay back on topic
So how big a backlash should we expect? That always happens with highly received games like this

It shouldn't get a backlash. Yes, I can imagine some will wonder why all that praise in the first half of the game when it's basically the same design again and again gameplay-wise but it gets smart in the second half. The story will probably disappoint some people who thinks it's going to be an epic one, while it's the narrative and acting that carries it.

I'm also gonna award this game a 10/10 - writing my review today.

I'm setting my alarm for 4 or 5, starting the download, and going back to sleep. 12GB will take at least 5 hours so I'll be able to play 10am.

I hope it doesn't take me that long to download 12GB. I fortunately get to start downloading at 9 p.m. Hoping that I can play by 11 p.m. My internet speeds are so inconsistent though.

What are your speeds?

DatDude

Banned
It shouldn't get a backlash. Yes, I can imagine some will wonder why all that praise in the first half of the game when it's basically the same design again and again gameplay-wise but it gets smart in the second half. The story will probably disappoint some people who thinks it's going to be an epic one, while it's the narrative and acting that carries it.

the 2nd half is better than the 1st?

I love subdued slow burn narratives. Those are so rare in games so I can't wait to play TLOU.

I hope it doesn't take me that long to download 12GB. I fortunately get to start downloading at 9 p.m. Hoping that I can play by 11 p.m. My internet speeds are so inconsistent though.

What are your speeds?
Well when I downloaded Just Cause 2, which was around 6GBs, it took me about 2.5 hours. So 12GB would probably take around 5 hours, give or take. But I think Sony said that the download is through ND's servers, which supposedly speeds up the download.

DatDude

Banned
24 hour WalMart is your friend. How I got Killzone 2.

I have a 24 hour walmart as well right next to my house.

If I stop by there around 12 am , and say there's this game I want that releases today you think they'll get it for me?

Az

I have a 24 hour walmart as well right next to my house.

If I stop by there around 12 am , and say there's this game I want that releases today you think they'll get it for me?
Call ahead and ask. They sold me Killzone2 like that right at midnight, no problem.

antitrop

I just called the Walmart by my house, they said they have the game and will have no problem selling it to me at 12:01am on Friday morning.

Macsta

So far the game is a little slow.... lots of glitches too which is strange for a naughty dog title. Stuff like clipping and bodies that are already downed just shooting back up again with their hands extended. Grabbing enemies from behind also causes the enemy to glitch out of your grasp then reappear In your hands.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
If there's any backlash, it will definitely be towards the intro. Early impressions/reviews definitely overhyped it.

But other than that, I cant see this getting much backlash, its all stellar.

If the review thread is anything to go by we shouldn't worry. A lot of people aren’t posting at the moment in fear of being spoilt. Give it a few more days when it releases and E3 settles down. This thread will erupt with orgasms!

In some other news, my brother bought a PS3 yesterday mainly for this game, so now I'm extra hyped because I can finally play some multiplayer with my brother on the PS3! This game really does seem to be a system seller.

Top Bottom