• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

smr00

Banned
Meanwhile, the rest of us without it...

homerbadman9.png
Do what i am doing and enjoy some films/books to get you even more hyped.

I suggest The Road, Children of Men, 28 Days/Weeks later and The Walking Dead, The Stand (miniseries, comic version which is AMAZING or book which is also amazing).

Tons of stuff to do while you wait. I highly suggest anyone reading or watching The Road before playing. I don't know if NG took some inspiration from The Road (it looks like it) but it is a fucking deeply depressing book/movie.

Andrew.

Banned

I suggest The Road, Children of Men, 28 Days/Weeks later and The Walking Dead, The Stand (miniseries, comic version which is AMAZING or book which is also amazing).

Tons of stuff to do while you wait. I highly suggest anyone reading or watching The Road before playing. I don't know if NG took some inspiration from The Road (it looks like it) but it is a fucking deeply depressing book/movie.

I already did all of that a week or so ago =D I love the post apocalyptic sub genre. Children of Men gets viewed a few times a year at least.

McCarthy is one of my favorite authors and I read The Road when it first came out. I found the movie to be atrocious in comparison unfortunately.

smr00

Banned
I already did all of that a week or so ago =D I love the post apocalyptic sub genre. Children of Men gets viewed a few times a year at least.

McCarthy is one of my favorite authors and I read The Road when it first came out. I found the movie to be atrocious in comparison unfortunately.
Maybe it's because i watched the film first. I really enjoy both.

But i always make it a point to see a movie before reading the book if i haven't already read it so i can go in with a fresh mind on it. I know The Road is one of those love/hate films but i love it. It's VERY rare a film, book, show or game can put me into a really emotional state and The Road is one of those few.

If you want another good apocalyptic movie to watch, I'd recommend Stakeland

Vampires, not zombies but these are ravenous monsterous zombie-like vampires

But then you have the grizzled experienced mentor, the young innocent who travels with him, a journey across the US, the remaining humans living in guarded communities, evil bandit groups, a bleak violent world and tone

The movie's on Netflix Streaming if you're interested
Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNC2HwAaWWE

smr00

Banned
If you want another good apocalyptic movie to watch, I'd recommend Stakeland

Vampires, not zombies but these are ravenous monsterous zombie-like vampires

But then you have the grizzled experienced mentor, the young innocent who travels with him, a journey across the US, the remaining humans living in guarded communities, evil bandit groups, a bleak violent world and tone

The movie's on Netflix Streaming if you're interested
Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNC2HwAaWWE
I saw Stakeland awhile back and enjoyed it.

I also just watched The Divide which i thought was a fantastic post-apocalyptic type film. No zombies or anything like that, it's from a nuclear blast.

pIVxO8o.jpg

Andrew.

Banned
Maybe it's because i watched the film first. I really enjoy both.

But i always make it a point to see a movie before reading the book if i haven't already read it so i can go in with a fresh mind on it. I know The Road is one of those love/hate films but i love it. It's VERY rare a film, book, show or game can put me into a really emotional state and The Road is one of those few.

Weird thing is I would totally watch it again. I only saw it once and that was when it was in theaters. I'd give it another shot and I've thought about it. Sucks it isnt on Amazon or Netflix though.

edit: Bahahaha smr PERFECTION! lololol

I saw Stakeland awhile back and enjoyed it.

I also just watched The Divide which i thought was a fantastic post-apocalyptic type film. No zombies or anything like that, it's from a nuclear blast.

The Divide was insane. Talk about a bleak ending. Would recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it and is interested in the apocalyptic genre

And I found a really cool novel if anyone's interested, an interesting take on the genre

The Last Policeman by Ben Winters
What’s the point in solving murders if we’re all going to die soon, anyway? Detective Hank Palace has faced this question ever since asteroid 2011GV1 hovered into view. There’s no chance left. No hope. Just six precious months until impact. The Last Policeman presents a fascinating portrait of a pre-apocalyptic United States. The economy spirals downward while crops rot in the fields. Churches and synagogues are packed. People all over the world are walking off the job — but not Hank Palace. He’s investigating a death by hanging in a city that sees a dozen suicides every week — except this one feels suspicious, and Palace is the only cop who cares. What’s the point in solving murders if we’re all going to die soon, anyway? The first in a trilogy, The Last Policeman offers a mystery set on the brink of an apocalypse. As Palace’s investigation plays out under the shadow of 2011GV1, we’re confronted by hard questions way beyond “whodunit.” What basis does civilization rest upon? What is life worth? What would any of us do, what would we really do, if our days were numbered?

smr00

Banned
The Divide was insane. Talk about a bleak ending. Would recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it and is interested in the apocalyptic genre

And I found a really cool novel if anyone's interested, an interesting take on the genre

The Last Policeman by Ben Winters
What’s the point in solving murders if we’re all going to die soon, anyway? Detective Hank Palace has faced this question ever since asteroid 2011GV1 hovered into view. There’s no chance left. No hope. Just six precious months until impact. The Last Policeman presents a fascinating portrait of a pre-apocalyptic United States. The economy spirals downward while crops rot in the fields. Churches and synagogues are packed. People all over the world are walking off the job — but not Hank Palace. He’s investigating a death by hanging in a city that sees a dozen suicides every week — except this one feels suspicious, and Palace is the only cop who cares. What’s the point in solving murders if we’re all going to die soon, anyway? The first in a trilogy, The Last Policeman offers a mystery set on the brink of an apocalypse. As Palace’s investigation plays out under the shadow of 2011GV1, we’re confronted by hard questions way beyond “whodunit.” What basis does civilization rest upon? What is life worth? What would any of us do, what would we really do, if our days were numbered?
The movie really caught me off guard because i figured it was going to be some low-rent cheesy direct to dvd film but gave a shot just because of the love of the genre and the fact that Milo Ventimiglia was in it. I love that dude.

As for the book i will buy it for my kindle and start reading tonight. 336 pages shouldn't take me that long to read, i am a fairly quick reader and i have nothing to do for the next few days, any other book recommendations?

The movie really caught me off guard because i figured it was going to be some low-rent cheesy direct to dvd film but gave a shot just because of the love of the genre and the fact that Milo Ventimiglia was in it. I love that dude.

As for the book i will buy it for my kindle and start reading tonight. 336 pages shouldn't take me that long to read, i am a fairly quick reader and i have nothing to do for the next few days, any other book recommendations?
Actually if you want a better (IMO) book, I'd recommend Tooth and Nail by Craig Dilouie. Think Generation Kill meets zombie outbreak, a grunt on the ground style narrative of an outbreak in Manhattan

All I can say is as far as the PS3 goes, I have only felt like this playing Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain.

This game is up there. And so beautiful I can't get over it sometimes.

antitrop

Actually if you want a better (IMO) book, I'd recommend Tooth and Nail by Craig Dilouie. Think Generation Kill meets zombie outbreak, a grunt on the ground style narrative of an outbreak in Manhattan
Generation Kill is the only dramaticized fiction I've ever watched about Iraq and didn't think "This is completely made up bullshit".

Great mini-series. Probably the second best I've seen after Band of Brothers, in general.

There is always the book of Metro 2033.
That's another awesome book. Very gritty and atmsopheric, just my style. There's a sequel Metro 2034, but it's not available in English yet

If anyone's planning a zombie movie marathon before TLOU, here are some good movies

- The Horde (French, on Netflix)
- Mutants (French, on Netflix)
- The Dead (first zombie filmed on location in Africa, zombie makeup isn't that good, but it's entertaining)
- Exit Humanity (zombie movie set during the Civil War, surprisingly good, on Netflix)

And if you're really like the zombie genre, I'd recommend the We're Alive serial radio drama.
http://www.zombiepodcast.com/the-story/
The acting is not always the best, but it's a story of long term survival and establishing a community a la The Walking Dead. Available on iTunes or on the site. There are three "seasons", seaosn four starts in August

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

antitrop

And you're posting on NeoGaf instead of fleeing for your life?

Right now it's only a voluntary evacuation for my neighborhood. May or may not become mandatory this evening, depends on the wind and the firefighters/Army National Guard.

What the fuck. How close is it?
Could probably drive from where I'm sitting now into the flames in less than 20 minutes. If the roads weren't blocked off, obviously.

Right now it's only a voluntary evacuation for my neighborhood. May or may not become mandatory this evening, depends on the wind and the firefighters/Army National Guard.

Could probably drive from where I'm sitting now into the flames in less than 20 minutes.
So I'm going to take a wild guess and say you live in California

antitrop

So I'm going to take a wild guess and say you live in California
Colorado Springs.

This forest fire isn't nearly as bad as the one last year. I have pictures from last June that look like the apocalypse.

This fire is far closer, though. Last year's fire never put me in any danger.

That's another awesome book. Very gritty and atmsopheric, just my style. There's a sequel Metro 2034, but it's not available in English yet

If anyone's planning a zombie movie marathon before TLOU, here are some good movies

- The Horde (French, on Netflix)
- Mutants (French, on Netflix)
- The Dead (first zombie filmed on location in Africa, zombie makeup isn't that good, but it's entertaining)
- Exit Humanity (zombie movie set during the Civil War, surprisingly good, on Netflix)

And if you're really like the zombie genre, I'd recommend the We're Alive serial radio drama.
http://www.zombiepodcast.com/the-story/
The acting is not always the best, but it's a story of long term survival and establishing a community a la The Walking Dead. Available on iTunes or on the site. There are three "seasons", seaosn four starts in August

We're Alive is fantastic, I haven't listened to it in a while but I plan on having a long catch up soon. Anyone who wants to listen to it it starts off slow but really becomes amazing.

There is literally a forest fire bearing down on my residence at the moment.

The forces of nature are conspiring against my ability to play The Last of Us on time. And uh... having a place to live. https://twitter.com/search?q=#BlackForestFire

Ill sacrifice a lamb to the fire and wind gods in the name of your cause.

Blinck

Just got it about 3 hours ago. A store here in Portugal broke the street date and me and a friend hurried up and got the game :D

Played for around 1h and 30 mins. Aside from a very few minor glitches with the A.I., it's absolutely phenomenal so far. Beautiful art direction, sound design, acting...they all just make such a fucking great atmosphere..it's really amazing. The opening was also incredible, and at least for me, unexpected.

Can't wait to devour it this weekend :)

Colorado Springs.

This forest fire isn't nearly as bad as the one last year. I have pictures from last June that look like the apocalypse.

This fire is far closer, though. Last year's fire never put me in any danger.
Well, good luck

Hopefully fate will rule in your favor and you'll be able to play TLOU

And I thought nor'easters were bad (I live in New York), Having to worry about forest fires must be fucking scary.

Top Bottom