• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

antitrop

Well shit, how close are you gonna let it get before you decide you better bail?
Until the lady on the news says that my area is now a mandatory evacuation zone.

My shits all packed, just waiting for the word. I'm not voluntarily going anywhere. I'll be like the old lady in Lake Placid.

smr00

Banned
Actually if you want a better (IMO) book, I'd recommend Tooth and Nail by Craig Dilouie. Think Generation Kill meets zombie outbreak, a grunt on the ground style narrative of an outbreak in Manhattan
Just went and bought it on my kindle.

Generation Kill is one of my favorite books, throw my favorite horror monster and genre in that? Fucking SOLD. Keep the book recommendations coming i got like $60 left in my gift balance from christmas. Been looking for new books to read so i really appreciate the recommendations.

<3 GAF.

We're Alive is fantastic, I haven't listened to it in a while but I plan on having a long catch up soon. Anyone who wants to listen to it it starts off slow but really becomes amazing.

Ill sacrifice a lamb to the fire and wind gods in the name of your cause.
I finished Season 1 last week. Taking a break before jumping to Season 2. It sucks that I got into the series just as it's ending. Season 4 is the last season :(

But yeah, I totally recommend those movies and Dilouie'a Tooth and Nail.

Jedi2016

It shipped today, so who knows when it will get here.

I know I'm going to catch a huge amount of flak for this, but the gameplay didn't really look all that appealing to me, and it's the hype ("best game of the entire f'in generation") and reviews (10/10 across the board) that got me to pre-order it. And a wicked Reward Zone discount, so it only cost me $20.

I wonder if this will be like Bioshock where all the praise comes from the visuals and story?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
E3 was largely boring. I now look forward to The Last of Us again and coming in here to tell ya'll how not great it is.

I finished Season 1 last week. Taking a break before jumping to Season 2. It sucks that I got into the series just as it's ending. Season 4 is the last season :(

But yeah, I totally recommend those movies and Dilouie'a Tooth and Nail.

Man you are in for a treat next season! I think I am half way through 3 so far.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Does anyone know of any livestreamers planning a marathon of the game? Id love to watch a run through from first to last.

DatDude

Banned
It shipped today, so who knows when it will get here.

I know I'm going to catch a huge amount of flak for this, but the gameplay didn't really look all that appealing to me, and it's the hype ("best game of the entire f'in generation") and reviews (10/10 across the board) that got me to pre-order it. And a wicked Reward Zone discount, so it only cost me $20.

I wonder if this will be like Bioshock where all the praise comes from the visuals and story?

The gameplay is actually getting praise. Not for doing anything innovative, but returning back to basics so to speak with health kits (no regen), crafting, alot of old school gameplay that has been nearly wiped away this gen.

Also, the 10/10's pretty much from the narrative, writing, acting, production values, etc.

E3 was largely boring. I now look forward to The Last of Us again and coming in here to tell ya'll how not great it is.

That's an awesome mindset. To dislike a game before even playing it.

Generation Kill is one of my favorite books, throw my favorite horror monster and genre in that? Fucking SOLD. Keep the book recommendations coming i got like $60 left in my gift balance from christmas. Been looking for new books to read so i really appreciate the recommendations.

<3 GAF.
Hope you enjoy it.

TheUnsane1

Neo Member
Why must people compare games I am hype for to RE4.... It makes me hesitant because RE4 is a game that killed my interest in a series I used to love.

I'll just pretend people are saying "One of the absolute best games on the platform" which I assume is what the RE4 comparison is meant to mean.

This way, you are never dissapointed.

There is a difference between going into a game without any previous assumptions and going in saying you can't wait to say how unspectacular it is. If you don't want want disappointment, then you should go in without a bias one way or another. Going in hoping for a game not to be good is just harming your chances of liking it. You're going a step further from just not trying to be disappointed.

Definity

About 5 hours in and wowza what a game. Naughty Dog is simply on another level when it comes to character building and story telling. I'm always excited to see another scene pop up in between game play segments.

Andrew.

Banned
Guys I can't become the new Derrick if I get hype for AAA console games.

Good.

And where have you been? Derrick and Totobeni merged to become one after Derrick showed his true colors when it came to watches.

It was like from The Thing:

vlcsnap-2012-03-11-14h02m21s23.png

Assimilation Complete

The hype is getting to me.

Is there a general consensus on whether or not the game should be played with listen mode? I havent decided what Im going to do about that yet.

I'll be live streaming on Friday. Though, I'll have absolutely no interaction with the chat. I'd suggest the same to anyone who is watching it too. If anyone wants to join me on Friday at 0000 by all means I welcome the company. I'll be playing through on Hard. I can't wait.Link for my stream for when 0000 comes.

Got my PS3 at the start of the week, might call a store tomorrow and see if they have it on shelves but I doubt it, stupid Ireland gets everything last but I will be rocking it on Friday and puttin up a let's play on youtube if anyone would like to watch it :D

In the meantime I finally got Journey and holy shit..... that game is astounding

Actually if you want a better (IMO) book, I'd recommend Tooth and Nail by Craig Dilouie. Think Generation Kill meets zombie outbreak, a grunt on the ground style narrative of an outbreak in Manhattan

<3 GAF.

Sounds kind of like Day by Day Armageddon

Never heard of T&N but it seems like something i'd be interested in checking out. Generation Kill is fucking awesome (both the book and miniseries)

aristotle

Is there a general consensus on whether or not the game should be played with listen mode? I havent decided what Im going to do about that yet.

Just play it how you want. All this talk of "Don't play it with Listen Mode!" just screams of e-peen stroking to me. You can always play it on NG+ without LM.

antitrop

Guys I can't become the new Derrick if I get hype for AAA console games.

we can build him, we have the technology

tumblr_m4se1yHQIV1rwjkcro1_250.gif

we will implant his brain with endless open areas, hardcore stealth mechanics and dialogue trees

tumblr_m4se1yHQIV1rwjkcro2_250.gif

he will have 0 tolerance for any narrow corridor, objective marker, or hand-holding mechanic

tumblr_m4se1yHQIV1rwjkcro3_250.gif

his mission: to hunt down the scum who populate the earth thriving on the new gaming generation, who dare to play games that require less skill and have easy, reachable endings and that, dare we say it.. actually HAVE FUN playing these new, more streamlined videogames. Because.. FUCK FUN

tumblr_m4se1yHQIV1rwjkcro4_250.gif

the Derrick01

.. what have we done

Definity

Play it how you want to. I've been using listening mode on my first play through. Some of the encounters can be a bit tricky and may end up frustrating people. I will play it again on survivor and keep the listen mode off.

DukeBobby

I'm playing with on, but I'm also doing a Hard run for my first playthrough. I want to try to avoid frustration if possible and turning that off for my initial time would more than likely lead to it.

I'm playing it on hard mode with it on, too. Although, I can definitely see how it would be better without.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm playing it on hard mode with it on, too. Although, I can definitely see how it would be better without.

I can definitely see myself doing a playthrough eventually with it off after I've gotten well adjusted to the overall experience, how it plays and how to overthrow AI in the most efficient ways depending on scenario. But for the first run on Hard? Forget about it. That's my "Getting The Layout" run.

Pachimari

All right I'm gonna play this through the rest of the night (it's 3 now and I gotta go at 6) on Survival. Kinda like it on Survival because it fits the theme of surviving - normally I shy away from the hard difficulties.

Top Bottom