• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

I can't tell if there's alot of hype for this game or not.

This thread is basically the same 5-10 members posting...not seeing alot of new faces.

Either people are still in the e3 phase..or alot of people have forgotten about this game in the mean time.

Avoiding spoilers and busy with E3 stuff. I was very active in the review thread but the game is out so soon I'm not staying around this thread very long

Mupod

My copy shipped and will be here tomorrow...but the PS3 I ordered might not be! That'd be torture.

Avoiding spoilers and busy with E3 stuff. I was very active in the review thread but the game is out so soon I'm not staying around this thread very long

Correct. I'm not even reading anything, I even tabbed out of the trailer Sony showed at their conference.

Umi88

Aww.. 1st time I preorder something on PSN and you cant do a proper preload or so it seems :( .. 21h to start downloading it and lots of people already with early copies playing it out ;_;

At least the wait will be worth it :p

Not sure if you guys have looked into Gustavo Santaolalla's music before, but it's fantastic. This has been a favorite track of mine for a few years. You can def. hear why he was asked to score for The Last of Us.

Andrew.

Banned
In some other news, my brother bought a PS3 yesterday mainly for this game, so now I'm extra hyped because I can finally play some multiplayer with my brother on the PS3! This game really does seem to be a system seller.

tumblr_mjjpgh8fFd1rjxj9ko1_500.gif

So what would be the best game to play to get ready for TLOU? I Am Alive? Enslaved?

It's funny you bring this up. I actually plan on playing and streaming I am Alive in a few hours. I was also, no joke, unsure whether I'd play Enslaved or I am Alive. But, since I've yet to actually beat IAA, I decided to go with that.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
It's funny you bring this up. I actually plan on playing and streaming I am Alive in a few hours. I was also, no joke, unsure whether I'd play Enslaved or I am Alive. But, since I've yet to actually beat IAA, I decided to go with that.

both games are great despite some poor reviews but for the mood of the the last of us i think i am alive fits more the profile

Knowing my copy is only approximately 8 hours away (going on usual posty times) is playing havok with my attempt to sleep. Im just sitting in bed watching The Apprentice You're Fired.

Definity

Damn, Joel can really
carry a bunch of shit in that backpack. I gotta find me one like that.
, lol.

*not story related at all

DatDude

Banned
If there's any backlash, it will definitely be towards the intro. Early impressions/reviews definitely overhyped it.

But other than that, I cant see this getting much backlash, its all stellar.

Nah the intro is great. Some might not like it, but that's opinions for you. You can't please everyone ya know.

Ugh speaking of spoilers, I actually was spoiled on the game thru Gametrailers' chat section of all places. Just glanced over briefly while this Borderlands demo was being shown and a couple asshats were spamming the ending in the feed. So be careful guys :(

Ugh speaking of spoilers, I actually was spoiled on the game thru Gametrailers' chat section of all places. Just glanced over briefly while this Borderlands demo was being shown and a couple asshats were spamming the ending in the feed. So be careful guys :(
Thank God Twitch allows you to hide the chats, so I was able to watch the E3 conferences live. I've been avoiding comment sections and other forums

NeoGaf seems safe and strictly moderated. And N4G is good for gaming news and reviews, just avoid the comments.

antitrop

Yup, I had GameTrailers on the GDex the entire time instead of the chat for precisely this reason.

Not because I gave a shit about the GDex.

So I know some people were talking about it a few pages back but is this as scary as Dead Space? I get freaked out easy over games and couldn't get more then 30 minutes into that game. Is it as bad as that or just tense?

DatDude

Banned
So I know some people were talking about it a few pages back but is this as scary as Dead Space? I get freaked out easy over games and couldn't get more then 30 minutes into that game. Is it as bad as that or just tense?

from what users are saying it's primarily more tense. Though there are "Scary" moments, but it's not the primary focus of the game. Tension is.

Stuart444

My copy should be here tomorrow. I've just not been in this thread because I don't want to see any black lines of spoilers incase I accidentally highlight them >_>

DukeBobby

Yup, I had GameTrailers on the GDex the entire time instead of the chat for precisely this reason.

Not because I gave a shit about the GDex.

The chat was awful. Everyone just posted swastikas.

One guy even said that you shouldn't buy the PS4 because of Pearl Harbor.

Oh boy, he sure convinced me!

from what users are saying it's primarily more tense. Though there are "Scary" moments, but it's not the primary focus of the game. Tension is.
I hate jump scares. Dead Space has nice atmosphere but every scare was either telegraphed or a jump scare.

Few games can actually create an atmsphere of tension. Manhunt did it (Pigsy!). Silent Hill did it well by obscuring your vision. So i TLOU is all about tension and unsettling atmosphere rather than jump scares, I'm even more hyped

LMAO I did the same shit. I am being extra cautious. Just over 24 hours to go....
So is there going to be a countdown on the thread tomorrow?

I hate jump scares. Dead Space has nice atmosphere but every scare was either telegraphed or a jump scare.

Few games can actually create an atmsphere of tension. Manhunt did it (Pigsy!). Silent Hill did it well by obscuring your vision. So i TLOU is all about tension and unsettling atmosphere rather than jump scares, I'm even more hyped

So is there going to be a countdown on the thread tomorrow?

Yea I'm with you. I can deal with demon/dark souls tension where atmosphere just creeps you out with freaky monsters but its not really scary or at least "makes you jump" scary. Hopefully this is case with LOU. Still debating on getting it but slowly leaning toward quick redbox rental to make sure and then a purchase. I'm a huge uncharted fan but thought this wouldn't be my cup of tea... We'll see...

ZeroRay

So for those fortunate enough to have beaten the game already, how is Survivor mode?

From what I understand, higher difficulties increase damage received as well decrease the amount of salvageable items. I really hope survivor makes crafting decisions more important as a few normal difficulty vids I watched show supplies to be plentiful.

Yea I'm with you. I can deal with demon/dark souls tension where atmosphere just creeps you out with freaky monsters but its not really scary or at least "makes you jump" scary. Hopefully this is case with LOU. Still debating on getting it but slowly leaning toward quick redbox rental to make sure and then a purchase. I'm a huge uncharted fan but thought this wouldn't be my cup of tea... We'll see...

If TLOU has a section even approaching the atmosphere and disgusting creepiness of the Tower of Latria, then it's GOTY.

So for those fortunate enough to have beaten the game already, how is Survivor mode?

From what I understand, higher difficulties increase damage received as well decrease the amount of salvageable items. I really hope survivor makes crafting decisions more important as a few normal difficulty vids I watched show supplies to be plentiful.

If TLOU has a section even approaching the atmosphere and disgusting creepiness of the Tower of Latria, then it's GOTY.

Ha yea that place is close to unbearable for me in sheer uneasiness but I would take it any day over games like Dead Space that have me jumping out of my seat and cursing...

ThisOne

Does turning listen mode off break the game? i.e. was the game designed around listen mode and is incredibly difficult without it?

quaere

Companion AI isn't quite as good here as in Infinite. Elizabeth never got in my way, period. Here the AI sometimes blocks me in areas you'd expect in a game such as doorways etc.

DatDude

Banned

What a gaf user has said about Survival Mode:

All right I'm gonna play this through the rest of the night (it's 3 now and I gotta go at 6) on Survival. Kinda like it on Survival because it fits the theme of surviving - normally I shy away from the hard difficulties.

Fixed1979

Paid for release day shipping from Amazon.ca but they haven't shipped it yet...starting to think I won't have this for the weekend.

Top Bottom