• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

DatDude

Banned
Does turning listen mode off break the game? i.e. was the game designed around listen mode and is incredibly difficult without it?

Nope. You can upgrade listen mode and what not. But the game was not build around this feature. It's more, if anything, a handhold thing for casual players.

Ha yea that place is close to unbearable for me in sheer uneasiness but I would take it any day over games like Dead Space that have me jumping out of my seat and cursing...
It's been a while since I played Demons' Souls. That was the prison, right? With the squid face guards? Yeah the tension there was just insane.

With the Clickers and stealth being preferably compared to outright combat compared to a game like RE4, I can see TLOU having that type of tension and unease

So yeah... from the demo part and onward... WHOA!!!! HOLY SHIT. More impressions to come. :p
Man...from these impressions, it seems like the second half kicks all kind of ass

DukeBobby

So yeah... from the demo part and onward... WHOA!!!! HOLY SHIT. More impressions to come. :p

Bqa1X4Q.gif

ThisOne

Nope. You can upgrade listen mode and what not. But the game was not build around this feature. It's more, if anything, a handhold thing for casual players.

Do we know if you earn anything by turning listen mode off? (trophies, unlockables, upgrades, etc.)

Man...from these impressions, it seems like the second half kicks all kind of ass

I'm not even on the second half yet so take that for what you will. Now at 31 % 3.33 hours. I just did a sequence that had me yelling at the screen "Oh shit, oh shit, OH SHIT"

Do we know if you earn anything by turning listen mode off? (trophies, unlockables, upgrades, etc.)

Yeah playing on hard, not using it. Really doesn't seem needed. No problems without!

For anyone who cares, it appears at least a couple Targets in the Washington, D.C. Area have broken street date on this. I saw it for sale yesterday at my local one, physical copies I could pick up and take to the register...they also have $10 off any game $39.99 and over (presumably thru Saturday), which I assume would apply.

Personally , Ive got way too many games and not enough funds to justify paying launch prices right now, but I'm definitely going pick this up down the road. Looks great.

ThisOne

Amazon says mine is "Shipping Now"!! Should I get my hopes up that it will be waiting for me tomorrow after work??

You do not. Although it is off/unusable in Survivor difficulty and there is a trophy for beating that.

Ah, okay. I wasn't aware it was unusable in Survivor mode.

Linconan

Just got back from getting me Joel Edition from the post office, whoop whoop!

*sigh...
Now i gotto go wait and pick up my kid from the Bus Stop.
And when i get back,

I'LL, do something naughty so I can be sent to my room.
"heheheh, Excellent"

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
You change the difficulty whenever you want. You dont' have to restart a new playthrough.

Same goes for listen mode, turn dat joint off whenever you feel like it.

thanks I ll do that. some parts of this game are ps4 quality holly shit

I have to. He started it in the Tomb Raider thread and I can't shake it.

Where you been Ham? Drinkin that gumbo down by the bayou?

Work by day, E3 craziness and Pinball Arcade with the lady by night. She's playing Animal Crossing right now, gonna let her play through TLoU first also.

I've been stockpiling Mrs. Dash so you won't have any when the fungus destroys society

DatDude

Banned
For anyone who cares, it appears at least a couple Targets in the Washington, D.C. Area have broken street date on this. I saw it for sale yesterday at my local one, physical copies I could pick up and take to the register...they also have $10 off any game $39.99 and over (presumably thru Saturday), which I assume would apply.

Personally , Ive got way too many games and not enough funds to justify paying launch prices right now, but I'm definitely going pick this up down the road. Looks great.

Is that for all of the targets or the one's in the washington dc area?

PrimeRib_

I've got the standard edition lined up via Amazon, but I'm not sure I can wait for release day delivery - drivers usually don't stop at my house until late in the afternoon.

Was thinking about cancelling and pressing my luck on two local Targets tomorrow to see if I can snag one early, or just run to Best Buy at 10AM Friday to scoop one up. Not like they won't have a million copies out on display or anything ...

BTW, anyone order this sweet Brady hardcover guide?
41VEOlTTycL._SY346_.jpg

Amazon says it won't be ready until June 18th, was kind of hoping to snag this with the game on Friday.

TEH-CJ

Banned
God damn stupid street dates. I have never for the life of me understood street dates. Whats the god damn point of them?

I've got the standard edition lined up via Amazon, but I'm not sure I can wait for release day delivery - drivers usually don't stop at my house until late in the afternoon.

Was thinking about cancelling and pressing my luck on two local Targets tomorrow to see if I can snag one early, or just run to Best Buy at 10AM Friday to scoop one up. Not like they won't have a million copies out on display or anything ...

BTW, anyone order this sweet Brady hardcover guide?
41VEOlTTycL._SY346_.jpg

Amazon says it won't be ready until June 18th, was kind of hoping to snag this with the game on Friday.

I was tempted but I bought Persona 4 instead :p

katkombat

Banned
I'm back, but only to say this: the wait is breaking me inside. I haven't eaten very much this week...anxiety...HYPE

nah just kidding but I really haven't eaten hardly anything...god damn it naughty dog...i love thee

Its just gone 7am here... I was supposed to get an early night! The wait today is going to be awful because no matter when it arrives I have to wait until my brother gets back from school at 4pm.

I know Best Buy has the "Buy The Last of Us and Pulse Elite headset for $160" this week, but I heard from some people that Gamestop and some other stores will have the normal wireless headset with The Last of Us for $110. Anyone heard anything about that?

Ponn

Banned
Pssst, guess who has two thumbs and his survival edition just shipped from Amazon with delivery for friday? This guy right here!

FUCK. SO CLOSE.

Walked into Big W (Australia). Saw a bunch of copies of The Last of Us on the shelf. Took one to the counter, got my money ready. Confused old lady says "We can't sell this, there's an embargo. Sorry". She then took them all away and told me to come back tomorrow.

35hhk6p.gif

Had to switch to State of Decay. A fantastic, janky ass survival game not yet released on PC. Stream the survival. Only a few more hours until we can play TLOU. It feels so far away.

spats

FUCK. SO CLOSE.

Walked into Big W (Australia). Saw a bunch of copies of The Last of Us on the shelf. Took one to the counter, got my money ready. Confused old lady says "We can't sell this, there's an embargo. Sorry". She then took them all away and told me to come back tomorrow.

35hhk6p.gif

Brutal. I feel sorry for you.

My Joel Edition is still sitting at "Sent to fulfillment" with Tesco, don't think I will be receiving it tomorrow! As long as it's with me by Saturday I don't mind too much. If it's not then I will be grabbing the nearest brick and heading to the store!

Persona7

Banned
FUCK. SO CLOSE.

35hhk6p.gif

This happened to me at Kmart when I saw Bayonetta out 3 days early.

I bricked my pants when it was denied.

Linconan

Got me game.
Played alittle.

Dear god Naughty Dog.. You really are Legends.

10/10
I don't know what else to say..I love it.

Masturbation worthy

Pachimari

If I take my time, is 25 hours out of the question? I really want to make this game last. Especially when REALLY good games (which I assume this is one) are very rare in a gaming year.
I already took my time and looked at the smallest of details but you probably can get a few more hours out of it. It really depends on your pace.

What is the edition called with the Joel/Ellie figure?

destrudo

If I take my time, is 25 hours out of the question? I really want to make this game last. Especially when REALLY good games (which I assume this is one) are very rare in a gaming year.

If you play it on hard and spend a lot of time scavenging for resources and taking in the view, probably. There's also some hidden collectables that will take up a bit of time if you want to look for them. It's a long game but most people seem to beat it in under 20 hours, though you'll probably want to go through it again on survival mode once you unlock it.

DatDude

Banned
If you play it on hard and spend a lot of time scavenging for resources and taking in the view, probably. There's also some hidden collectables that will take up a bit of time if you want to look for them. It's a long game but most people seem to beat it in under 20 hours, though you'll probably want to go through it again on survival mode once you unlock it.

Alrights thanks!

I assume you finished the game? What did you think of it overall?

Top Bottom