• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
In my experience single discs just get posted through by the normal postman, not Royal Mail. So it might take until around 3pm, but at least it will definitely turn up.

Looks like its dispatched via Royal Mail first class delivery (I'm on Amazon Prime). This will most likely be a day late. My postman is terrible.

bitoriginal

I played for about 5 hours yesterday. Playing on Hard with Listening mode turned on. Initial impressions:

- Intro is tense and emotional, really sets up the atmosphere for the rest of the game. Graphics are superb.

- Animation and voice acting are some of the best I've seen in a game. Feels far more mature than Uncharted.

- AI is surprisingly good, each enemy type has distinct behavior. Clickers are fucking terrifying.

- Fights can get out of hand quickly due to limited resources/ammo, which leads to some really intense moments.

- Some areas have been genuinely difficult, and this was pleasantly surprising. There was one area I played for about an hour because I was trying to stealth my way through and figure out how to take down all enemies silently.

- Atmosphere has been surprisingly oppressive. I kinda assumed because it was an ND game that it wouldn't be very scary, but I have been surprised that it really feels like a big budget survival horror game at times.

- Game play is top notch (shooting, traversal, stealth), but very by the books. There's not really much new here in terms of groundbreaking mechanics.

Blinck

Writing my review now.

And I can't wait to complete it on Survival. I have never had an urge in any game to complete it on its hardest difficulty as I have with The Last of Us.

Start with Hard. You got too many resources on Normal.

Does hard setting make the enemies more bullet sponges or does it add more enemies to the areas or shit like that? I really don't like artificial difficulty increases.

Thanks!

DatDude

Banned
Does hard setting make the enemies more bullet sponges or does it add more enemies to the areas or shit like that? I really don't like artificial difficulty increases.

Thanks!

Nope. Regardless of the difficulty it's still 1 shot to the head for the humans to kill them, and 2 shots for the solider enemies (1 to knock off the helmet, the other for there head).

The only increase in health comes to the infected, and the other zombie like creatures. But they never become bullet sponges, just takes a few more good shots to take them down.

Sickbean

You mean the normal postman that works for Royal Mail? :p

Yeah sorry I was thinking of Royal Mail Parcel Force, who are truly useless. I'm lucky enough to have a fairly decent postman.

Since I've got prime I intentionally order single discs at a time, just to avoid Parcel Force. I've caught them posting a sorry we missed you card through the door without even knocking loads of times - their excuse is always 'oh sorry there was no car in your drive so I though you were out'.

Diks.

So what is the recommended difficulty setting?

I played Uncharted 2 on Hard the first time and it was very frustrating. I hate artificial difficulty increase.
I'm playing TLOU on Normal so far, should I change to hard?

I'm playing on hard and so far it feels just right.

Jinjo

One more day. Ugh. Thankfully E3 kept me entertained this week. Will do a run to the store after work to see if there is a store sneakily selling it early.

s-bojan

Banned
Just finished the game.
It is great, but last 2-3 hours did get a bit boring.

Now I can read this topic and not fear that someone will spoil the ending.

DatDude

Banned
Just finished the game.
It is great, but last 2-3 hours did get a bit boring.

Now I can read this topic and not fear that someone will spoil the ending.

boring how? as in it became repetitive? because most here are saying the last half is the games high points.

JJust played my first MP match. Really enjoyed it, the slow pace and scarce ammo are refreshing. My k/d was 8/3 so I did pretty well. Reviving is risky, got several kills thanks to sneaking up on enemies that were reviving each other.
I can see myself playing this a lot.

s-bojan

Banned
boring how? as in it became repetitive? because most here are saying the last half is the games high points.

Last 2 hours are interesting story-wise, but gameplay does not change in any way and it gets stale after 17-18 hours.

Still, I really liked the game and it is in top 5 this gen for sure.
I read Polygon/Gamespot reviews again after finishing the game and I agree with what they are saying. However, I cannot agree with scores given.

Lumine

Damnit, waiting for the e-mail that says my copy has been sent out so it'll arrive tomorrow. They said they would deliver on release day, but no e-mail yet. Starting to worry I might not see my copy until next week... :(

Anyway, this has probably already been asked, but for the lucky people who got it early: what difficulty do you recommend playing this on for the first time? I like a challenge, but I usually play games on normal so I don't get stuck on sudden difficulty spikes or frustrating parts. If hard doesn't feel cheap, I think I'll start with that this time. What about listening mode? On or off?

DatDude

Banned
Damnit, waiting for the e-mail that says my copy has been sent out so it'll arrive tomorrow. They said they would deliver on release day, but no e-mail yet. Starting to worry I might not see my copy until next week... :(

Anyway, this has probably already been asked, but for the lucky people who got it early: what difficulty do you recommend playing this on for the first time? I like a challenge, but I usually play games on normal so I don't get stuck on sudden difficulty spikes or frustrating parts. If hard doesn't feel cheap, I think I'll start with that this time. What about listening mode? On or off?

hard, listen mode off.

Game doesn't suffer from any spikes from what i'm aware of.

bitoriginal

Personally, I'd go hard with listen mode on. Hard isn't particularly hard, you just have less resources. Listen mode means you can avoid any annoying unexpected encounters which may lead to frustration.

Shark Gun

Neo Member
I started playing yesterday and couldn't put down the controller for several hours. There were a few moments where my jaw literally dropped and I got goose bumps. It's extremely powerful and executes a believable world with relatable protagonists. The ratings are really justified so far and I can't wait to get back in.

Visually it's stunning and after all the next gen talk it's really amazing what Naughty Dog is getting out of this ageing hardware. The voice work is fantastic and don't get me started on the music. It's used subtle but when it's there you can't help but be amazed at the quality and engrossing manner of it. Could well be the title of the generation.

ced

Don't hang and flay me, but what's the consensus on easy with listening disabled? As long as it doesn't dumb the AI I think I'm going to go this route.

OwlyKnees

Me too.

Usually when he's this late it's not going to come. WHY OH WHY DO YOU SUCK, ROYAL MAIL.

Oh. It came.

greetings.gif

DatDude

Banned
Don't hang and flay me, but what's the consensus on easy with listening disabled? As long as it doesn't dumb the AI I think I'm going to go this route.

If all your interested is experiencing the narrative then sure. But the game will give you want to many ammo and resources, and will really lessen the believability that you are a survivor simply trying to survive.

Really? It's a resource that you can use as much or as little as you want. Dude said he played on normal difficulty for most games, so I suggested it on the basis that it would avoid frustration.

Well it cheapens the game. All of a sudden you have adam jensen x-ray vision, just really cheaps the believability of this world naughty dog crafted. Plus knowing where some of the enemies are just cheapens the tension as well.

Top Bottom