• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Danny-Boy

Cancelled the survival edition to get the regular edition. I hate steelbook cases and I can't stand the dark horse oversized books. Not sure why I pre-ordered it. Couldn't be stuffed scalping.

dermann

Banned
my good lord.

This game is such a WIN!

played around 90 min. Changed into hard setting.
Its more realistic. I hate this grey view where you can see your enemies.

Morue

Ok, I managed to get a copy yesterday and played for 4 hours and a half (normal mode and listening mode on, want to avoid any kind of frustration for my first playthrough). Haven't checked the percentage of completion but got to the point where
I'm gonna meet Bill, got 5 fireflies medallions.

Will give raw impressions :

- game is dark, brutal, not really scary but extremely tense, awesome atmosphere
- really loved the intro
- like uncharted, story is not particularly original, what sets it apart is writing, acting, character development and interactions
-molotovs are overpowered (got 3 or 4 runners and clickers with one shot, felt great)
-take my time to explore, love scavenging items, crafting system is good, easy and intuitive
-sound design is fantastic, the sounds made by the infected are horrifying
-human foes are a much bigger challenge to me than the infected ones (much more unpredictable, good ennemy AI, ally AI not perfect though, got caught once or twice because of Ellie running in a room when I was hiding)
-got a few glitches (such as a bucket flying on its own and getting stuck under fire escape stairs lol)
-but so far so good!!!

destrudo

Alrights thanks!

I assume you finished the game? What did you think of it overall?

I don't think it's gaming's Citizen Kane moment, whatever that means, but it's probably the best thing ND has done and one of the better stories that I've experienced in the medium. I spent the entire day playing it through to the end (a rarity for me) and I'm actually having a bit of trouble getting to sleep since I finished it.

I haven't touched MP yet though, mainly because I want to give the story some breathing room before I start running around killing people for points, lol.

I want to suggest that people play it on hard with listen mode turned off though. It really makes the intentions of the developers come though a bit stronger I think (high stress, thinking of your feet, struggling to survive, etc.). It's really not that difficult if people are worried, especially with the generous check points.

Alright 41% and 5 hours in. Damnmmmmm fighting humans is completely different then the infected. So my thoughts on the game def improved from my first hour or so. Loving this and can't wait to play more but further more can't wait till it's out and we can all start talking about it.

destrudo

Alright 41% and 5 hours in. Damnmmmmm fighting humans is completely different then the infected. So my thoughts on the game def improved from my first hour or so. Loving this and can't wait to play more but further more can't wait till it's out and we can all start talking about it.

I think this is one of those rare games that gets better the further you get.

So I just finished it...

What a great game.
Some pretty dark themes, I mean - it's not the cheeriest of settings anyway, but they go a LOT darker than I thought they would do.
Some sections are a bit samey and drawn out, but the game overall is excellent.
Really loved watching the relationship between Joel and Ellie grow, I think it was a more believable pairing than Booker and Elizabeth.
Some of the stuff early on is quite predictable, but they throw a few cool change ups in later on to keep things fresh. Great stuff.
I really liked how you can go about situations in whatever way you want, and the environments are open enough to allow this.

Joel is a pretty interesting protagonist, as far as his moral code goes there's a lot of grey.

Final playtime clocks in at 13 hours, 30 minutes. Normal difficulty.

DatDude

Banned
So I just finished it...

What a great game.
Some pretty dark themes, I mean - it's not the cheeriest of settings anyway, but they go a LOT darker than I thought they would do.
Some sections are a bit samey and drawn out, but the game overall is excellent.
Really loved watching the relationship between Joel and Ellie grow, I think it was a more believable pairing than Booker and Elizabeth.
Some of the stuff early on is quite predictable, but they throw a few cool change ups in later on to keep things fresh. Great stuff.

Final playtime clocks in at 13 hours, 30 minutes. Normal difficulty.

Not sure if it was because the difficulty you played on, but so far your the quickest reported playtime!

plenilune

-human foes are a much bigger challenge to me than the infected ones (much more unpredictable, good ennemy AI, ally AI not perfect though, got caught once or twice because of Ellie running in a room when I was hiding)

Do you have to protect Ellie? or is she invulnerable like Elizabeth in Bioshock Infinite?

Not sure if it was because the difficulty you played on, but so far your the quickest reported playtime!

Ha, didn't know that...
I tried to take my time with it as much as possible as well. I was pretty thorough with exploration, don't think I missed many collectibles on my way through...

Bauer91

Is the game really scary? I don't like horror games and probably wouldn't consider it if it wasn't a Naughty Dog game. The listen mode should probably help?

Sheroking

Just pre-ordered it on PSN, cause I ain't waiting for a store to open. Never done that before, am I going to be able to start the download at midnight in my region?

Want it to be 22 hours from now.

Coward! lol

Haha, I always do my first playthrough on normal. I find that's usually the way the devs intended the game to be experienced. I'm going to go through this again on Survivor next.

Is the game really scary? I don't like horror games and probably wouldn't consider it if it wasn't a Naughty Dog game. The listen mode should probably help?

They don't do any stuff to make you jump or whatever, but there are some really, really tense moments. Don't want to spoil anything but it definitely puts you on edge.

destrudo

It's not really scary (although there certain times where it becomes a bit unsettling) it's more about survival than scares. The worst it gets is tense situations where you're scrambling to keep yourself alive. As for listen mode, it might stop you from getting into some surprise moments where you run into an enemy by accident, but generally it just makes the gameplay easier.

I don't even think I'd classify it as a horror game.

Fezan

Ok, I managed to get a copy yesterday and played for 4 hours and a half (normal mode and listening mode on, want to avoid any kind of frustration for my first playthrough). Haven't checked the percentage of completion but got to the point where
I'm gonna meet Bill, got 5 fireflies medallions.

Will give raw impressions :

- game is dark, brutal, not really scary but extremely tense, awesome atmosphere
- really loved the intro
- like uncharted, story is not particularly original, what sets it apart is writing, acting, character development and interactions
-molotovs are overpowered (got 3 or 4 runners and clickers with one shot, felt great)
-take my time to explore, love scavenging items, crafting system is good, easy and intuitive
-sound design is fantastic, the sounds made by the infected are horrifying
-got a few glitches (such as a bucket flying on its own and getting stuck under fire escape stairs lol)
-but so far so good!!!

Enemy don't react to ally AI so this should not happen.

largan

Neo Member
Got a copy of the game yesterday here in Germany.
Played around 5 hours and I'm about to meet
Bill
Really loving it so far but there is one thing that totally annoys me.

Some slight spoilers ahead:
I was just entering the town where Bill lives when i accidently alerted a clicker hiding in a shed just outside of a building.
He starts to roam and i quietly sneak into the nearest building. So far so good.
And then it happened.
"PFFFFFFT" "PFFFFFFT" I'm like WTF is this.
Turns out Ellie was trying to whistle! WHILE A CLICKER IS ROAMING JUST OUTSIDE OF THE BUILDING!
Totally broke my immersion -.-

Gonna stay up late and sleep through a lot of the day so I can have all night to play this at midnight, I still feel unprepared for what I'm about to experience :D

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Game has a few bugs though. 3/4 into the game, and have encountered at least two that forced me to reload an earlier checkpoint because it was impossible to advance. Once where Ellie got stuck, and once where scripted AI got stuck.

Pachimari

Am I the only one who thinks there's nothing special about those collectibles
(not the comics, but the amulets) ? Are the names on those amulets the same as those people who have written those notes?

Blinck

Some more impressions:

- Listen Mode or whatever is called isn't really necessary, which is great.

- Enemy A.I. seems like a hit and miss. Sometimes they seem really smart, other times you are strangling an enemy right next to another enemy but the other guy won't notice you if he is facing the other way, even if the sounds that his dying friend is making are pretty loud - this was quite a bit immersion breaking tbh.

- The sounds of gunshots are the absolute best I've ever heard.

- Game looks breathtaking. There are some framerate hiccups here and there, but until now never in a combat situation. Overall the game holds 30fps.

- The first loading of the game was gigantic. Not sure if it was installing something to the HDD or something like that, but it took me around 10 minutes to start playing after putting the disc in. No loadings during the game so far.

- Music is amazing * . *

- The first loading of the game was gigantic. Not sure if it was installing something to the HDD or something like that, but it took me around 10 minutes to start playing after putting the disc in. No loadings during the game so far.

Yeah, that's how ND does it. You could play the whole thing without seeing another loading screen if you don't reset the system.

Morue

Yeah, that's how ND does it. You could play the whole thing without seeing another loading screen if you don't reset the system.

Yeah, and that's a good thing!! More developers should do the same cause loading times really break the immersion... ('cough' mgs4 'cough')

DrBo42

There is nothing more horrifying than a clicker alerted to your movement stopping 2 feet in front of you while you have no shivs. Holy-fucking-tense.

Blinck

So what is the recommended difficulty setting?

I played Uncharted 2 on Hard the first time and it was very frustrating. I hate artificial difficulty increase.
I'm playing TLOU on Normal so far, should I change to hard?

Pachimari

Writing my review now.

And I can't wait to complete it on Survival. I have never had an urge in any game to complete it on its hardest difficulty as I have with The Last of Us.

So what is the recommended difficulty setting?

I played Uncharted 2 on Hard the first time and it was very frustrating. I hate artificial difficulty increase.
I'm playing TLOU on Normal so far, should I change to hard?
Start with Hard. You got too many resources on Normal.

Top Bottom