• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

DatDude

Banned
I can't help but shake the feeling that this game has had the most street dates broken in gaming history. I mean christ, it's as if 50% of GAF have already gotten and played the game, when it's still technically by law, not supposed to be released yet. Ridiculous.

Pachimari

Last 2 hours are interesting story-wise, but gameplay does not change in any way and it gets stale after 17-18 hours.

Still, I really liked the game and it is in top 5 this gen for sure.
I read Polygon/Gamespot reviews again after finishing the game and I agree with what they are saying. However, I cannot agree with scores given.

The
twist (you suddenly controlling Ellie in that wonderful hunting chapter
is nice though.

bitoriginal

Well it cheapens the game. All of a sudden you have adam jensen x-ray vision, just really cheaps the believability of this world naughty dog crafted. Plus knowing where some of the enemies are just cheapens the tension as well.

I actually agree with you, and I'm definitely more of a purist when it comes to tension in games, however, I can also totally understand why someone would like to have the option of using it. I was actually totally unaware of it's existence when I started playing so I didn't realise I could turn it on or off. I think for a majority of people, it's something they're going to use on their first playthrough, considering this is reaching out to a wider audience than a typical horror game.

Just finished the game.
It is great, but last 2-3 hours did get a bit boring.

Now I can read this topic and not fear that someone will spoil the ending.
Don't spoil anything but is boring to you because of gameplay or narrative?

I mean, look at RDR. Most of the ending is you with your family, doing stuff with them. Sure it might be "boring" gameplay-wise, but it suits the narrative and completes the character arc.

That's not boring, that's good storytelling

DatDude

Banned

I mean, look at RDR. Most of the ending is you with your family, doing stuff with them. Sure it might be "boring" gameplay-wise, but it suits the narrative and completes the character arc.

He said gameplay when he replied to me.

It doesn't switch things up.

Which I don't really understand as an issue. Which game just radically changes it's gameplay formula 3/4th of the way through?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Just watched a 2v2 match http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xvj3Gtk4t0
Looks like it can get super tense. Now if only there were some kind of hardcore mode
One of the videos shows that there's a KDR leaderboard.

WHY!!?

It's a MP game about team work. Why would anyone bother to revive their team mate now!? It already feels like it's too risky to even revive your own team mates because it takes a long time and leaves you exposed.

The more I see MP footage the more I become less interested in it. It just doesn't look like something that will grab my attention for very long.

Andrew.

Banned
ONE....MOAR.....DAY...

homerbadman9_thumb.png

I've been stockpiling Mrs. Dash so you won't have any when the fungus destroys society

You leave my collection of fine, inexpensive seasonings out of this.

Pachimari

The locations get more interesting the further you get. If he thinks the game is boring, then it must be that the gameplay doesn't changes but it don't need to. It's even interesting on a gameplay level in the last parts of the game but I won't go into detail.

The game is most boring right after the opening.

Is TLOU going to be coming out on PS4, too?
Don't bet on it.

ButchCat

Just got my Joel Edition a couple of hours ago. Very disappointed that the game doesn't come in a proper box but instead I'm greeted with cheap cardboard box, you guys in the US win this round. I so wanted that steel box edition.

Been playing the multi with the The Perfect Dark for the last half our or so. Its really good. Hardcore, unforgiving... Stealth and team-work is a must. Its just so raw and brutal.

The_Monk

I said that after E3 I was going to pre-order the PSN version and I just did it fellow GAFfers. Got the option with the OST, Dynamic theme and the Avatars.

The Sony E3 got me so hyped for the PS4 that I've been saving and reducing my PS3 collection in order to keep my favorites only but I had to get this game. I choose the Digital version because I still had some funds + PSN Codes for my wallet so it was cheaper this way.

I really can't wait to play this, the hype for this game and the PS4 is huge but, one thing at a time. Later today, at midnight I'll be downloading it, can't wait!

I said that after E3 I was going to pre-order the PSN version and I just did it fellow GAFfers. Got the option with the OST, Dynamic theme and the Avatars.

The Sony E3 got me so hyped for the PS4 that I've been saving and reducing my PS3 collection in order to keep my favorites only but I had to get this game. I choose the Digital version because I still had some funds + PSN Codes for my wallet so it was cheaper this way.

I really can't wait to play this, the hype for this game and the PS4 is huge but, one thing at a time. Later today, at midnight I'll be downloading it, can't wait!
Just so you know, it's only a midnight release PST (if you live in the US). For those on the East Coast like me, download is available at 3:01am :(

Andrew.

Banned
Should get some of this:

aMxks0y.gif

It's pronounced Sa-sher-ee

No, that doesn't make sense to locals either

I bet that it's awesome but I don't think Ive ever seen it. Then again, Ive never actively looked for it. Will do the next time I hit up the grocery store.

And for TLOU multiplayer goodness my PSN is TestSubject15

s-bojan

Banned
The
twist (you suddenly controlling Ellie in that wonderful hunting chapter
is nice though.

Believe it or not, I really hated
killing a deer.
I did not mind killing people, though.

Gameplay only.
Narrative is superb, from the beginning to the end.

I did not enjoy RDR as much as most people did.
I really liked the last few hours of that game, but did not care about the rest.
The way that I felt while playing the end of RDR ... there are many situations in this game that made me feel as involved.

Colorado Springs.

This forest fire isn't nearly as bad as the one last year. I have pictures from last June that look like the apocalypse.

This fire is far closer, though. Last year's fire never put me in any danger.

719 represent!

yeah its not as bad, tho I've had a few friends evacuate their homes

Just got done playing a few more hours
About to leave the church with Bill, saw the Tree thing from a billion miles away as soon as that encounter started

Having lots of fun and it feels more survival horrorish then i thought it would be. I'll hold my 10/10 till the end that

The_Monk

Just so you know, it's only a midnight release PST (if you live in the US). For those on the East Coast like me, download is available at 3:01am :(

Europe here fellow GAFfer. The PS Store page says I can start downloading on the 14th. Hope it's midnight but now I guess there is only one way to find out.

If not, oh well... I'll be on a two-day vacation with the lady on sunday so I'll have to wait.

hal9001

Banned
My copy arrived this morning. I played about an hour, and I can honestly say this is the best game of this Gen for me and one of the best of all time. I have never seen this level of storytelling in a video game before. It will change gaming forever. The opening was so unexpected and absolutely jaw dropping. The graphics are out of this world for a console and YouTube videos don't give it justice.

doYrqeO.jpg

Andrew.

Banned
I hear if you sprinkle some of this..

aMxks0y.gif

Onto some of this...

the_last_of_us___clicker_by_thomaswievegg-d5vitz1.jpg

It tastes great and isn't the least bit infectious. It has a delightful crunch to it and is also good with melted butter on the side.

Just played through the first 15 minutes.

That opening... Damn that opening. The reviews were not kidding. This is the first time a game had me in such an emotional rollercoaster.

My copy arrived this morning. I played about an hour, and I can honestly say this is the best game of this Gen for me and one of the best of all time. I have never seen this level of storytelling in a video game before. It will change gaming forever. The opening was so unexpected and absolutely jaw dropping. The graphics are out of this world for a console and YouTube videos don't give it justice.

doYrqeO.jpg

It looks like you cut out that IGN thing yourself :p

I just put it in to see if there were any updates and so far there is aliasing out the arse. I guess I have been spoilt with my 8x SGSSAA downsampling. Also I haven't used a controller in a shooter in ages I feel vulnerable.

hal9001

Banned
It looks like you cut out that IGN thing yourself :p

I just put it in to see if there were any updates and so far there is aliasing out the arse. I guess I have been spoilt with my 8x SGSSAA downsampling. Also I haven't used a controller in a shooter in ages I feel vulnerable.

Yeah. I ordered it from GAME and they had stuck the IGN score sticker.

Top Bottom