• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Andrew.

Banned
Also by complexity, I mean narrative-wise. Half the time you hear video game violence brought up, you hear Mortal Kombat, GTA, etc. And they seem to assume that games are all about the thrill of virtual killing. But we've seen game narratives mature so much and develop into so many genres with endless possibilities. Flower, Journey, LittleBigPlanet? Even TLOU, a very violent game, is violent for a narrative and atmosphere reason not just mindless violence

I believe most Baby-Boomers will always view videogaming as a mindless toy with no benefits and no artistic value or merit.

My pops is 68 and loves old noir films and crime dramas. I tried sitting him down to watch me do a case of L.A. Noire to see what he thought. It was in one brain cell and out the other. He couldn't have given a shit really. I was amazed. He didnt even say a word about the facial technology and this guy is a big film buff like me. Pretty sad, yet understandable.

I stealthed pretty much every encounter so far, over 5 hours in. Used my guns maybe four or five times. Playing it Manhunt style is the only way for me.

delta25

Banned
Derrick and I knew all along.

Yet he's played the game and has giving it its fair shake and provided reasonable criticism based on his opinion from actually playing the game, you on the other hand seem to be going into it with an already pessimistic attitude towards the game from the get go.

I'd wager you're going to do your best to try and tear this game apart at any chance you get.

Andrew.

Banned
Yet he's played the game and has giving it its fair shake and provided reasonable criticism based on his opinion from actually playing the game, you on the other hand seem to be going into it with an already pessimistic attitude towards the game from the get go.

I'd wager you're going to do your best to try and tear this game apart at any chance you get.

Someones gotta pinch hit for Derrick. Totobeni hasn't made a cameo yet either to piss in everyones cereal so just wait.

Moozo

Anyone just get bumped with patch 1.01? God knows what it does. General clean up I guess. No changelog to be seen. Hopefully it fixes the autosave bug

P.s. did loading screens always have percentages on them?

antitrop

For anyone who was worried (and if you are, I absolutely appreciate it, of course), it seems that they are beginning to gain control of the Colorado Springs fire.

The Sheriff and Mayor were just on television saying that the fire is now 5% contained and they're considering it a draw and, in turn, a small victory.

The winds have shifted to the northeast and I am a few miles northwest of the fire, so... awesome? Northeast of where the fire is is also the least residential area that the fire could go towards.

Still hoping for the best, it's looking like I won't have to evacuate tonight after all. That said, the mandatory evac zone is literally a block away. If I threw a rock really hard I could probably land it in the evac zone.

Gurkog

Banned
Overhyped game is overhyped. I seriously doubt the game is perfect. Just like over the last 25 years every gamed hyped that I have played has never been 10/10. Oh well, such is life. Every generation of gamer has to learn it the hard way.

I am not saying that it won't be a good game, but it is probably highly stylized in a niche that not everyone will enjoy, which immediately invalidates every perfect review. A 10/10 game should resonate as a masterpiece with players who prefer other genre. 8/10 at best is what I would imagine.

Overhyped game is overhyped. I seriously doubt the game is perfect. Just like over the last 25 years every gamed hyped that I have played has never been 10/10. Oh well, such is life. Every generation of gamer has to learn it the hard way.

I am not saying that it won't be a good game, but it is probably highly stylized in a niche that not everyone will enjoy, which immediately invalidates every perfect review. A 10/10 game should resonate as a masterpiece with players who prefer other genre. 8/10 at best is what I would imagine.

I think that has more to do with your biases against "hyped" games than it does with the actual quality of those games. But yeah, keep saying a game you've yet to play is overhyped lol.

Andrew.

Banned
For anyone who was worried (and if you are, I absolutely appreciate it, of course), it seems that they are beginning to gain control of the Colorado Springs fire.

The Sheriff and Mayor were just on television saying that the fire is now 5% contained and they're considering it a draw and, in turn, a small victory.

The winds have shifted to the northeast and I am a few miles northwest of the fire, so... awesome? Northwest of where the fire is is also the least residential area that the fire could go towards.

Still hoping for the best, it's looking like I won't have to evacuate tonight after all. That said, the mandatory evac zone is literally a block away. If I threw a rock really hard I could probably land it in the evac zone.

efe84_ORIG-predator_handshake.gif

stufte

Or maybe wait to play the game yourself before making such claims.

"A game I've never played is getting good reviews, my keen video game intellect tells me it must not be as good as they say."

Drencrom

Shit, the reason it doesn't work is because i didn't have automatic funding on. Can i just cancel the current preorder and order it again and pay?

ezekial45

Banned

The winds have shifted to the northeast and I am a few miles northwest of the fire, so... awesome? Northeast of where the fire is is also the least residential area that the fire could go towards.

Stay safe, man.

Flek

Banned
ok been playing this since 2.33h and i really really like it so far - time to stop for today (its 1.30 am here

enjoy the game guys :)

Gurkog

Banned
Or maybe wait to play the game yourself before making such claims.

"A game I've never played is getting good reviews, my keen video game intellect tells me it must not be as good as they say."

GAF quickly forgets its history of overyhyped AAA games. Not my fault.

Gave in and pre-ordered it. I was about to buy it at the store but I don't have 27gb of free space. I have the original 80gb which I never bothered to upgrade HD. A shame too, I still haven't used my free $10 credit. Look forward to playing it but can't play it all weekend, only Friday.

I believe most Baby-Boomers will always view videogaming as a mindless toy with no benefits and no artistic value or merit.

My pops is 68 and loves old noir films and crime dramas. I tried sitting him down to watch me do a case of L.A. Noire to see what he thought. It was in one brain cell and out the other. He couldn't have given a shit really. I was amazed. He didnt even say a word about the facial technology and this guy is a big film buff like me. Pretty sad, yet understandable.
It's funny. My dad's 48. He actually had Pong when he was younger but didnt really play any games after that. Ironic, once I was born, he played a lot more. Actually beat RE2 and had his prized Viper in Gran Turismo A-Spec, and we used to play Tekken together.

But he still considers games as "games." I showed him the trailer for TLOU. Wasn't very impressed.

With the growing mainstream appeal of games, the shift in Hollywood's opinions of games (look at Beyond; many actors play video games), and the fact that my generation and my brother's generation will have grown up with games, I think that within 20 years, videogames would be considered on the same level as movies and shows

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

The game tore itself apart as soon as it entered my arena. The arena was filled with chest high walls and there was only one way out of it.

gate777

Picking this up tomorrow! Between this, GTA5, GT6 and Disgaea D2, I'm set until next year sometime when I'll pick up a PS4.

Can't wait to sink into it.

Off topic question: is bumping prohibited on NeoGaf?
I had created two threads a few days ago but they got washed away by the flood of E3-related threads

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Originally Scheduled For Delivery On:
Monday, 06/17/2013, By End of Day

Scheduled For Early Delivery On:
Friday, 06/14/2013, By End of Day

WG6xyIh.gif

antitrop

Off topic question: is bumping prohibited on NeoGaf?
I had created two threads a few days ago but they got washed away by the flood of E3-related threads

Ya, I think that's a pretty fair excuse.

Your bump is likely to get ignored and the threads will quickly fall to the second page and get ignored once again.

Just saying, that's usually how it goes. Feel free to give it a shot, though.

Bumping threads that are several months old is usually a bannable offense, though.

7 more long ass hours until I can start the download. I'm going to go get snacks and red bulls and tell my wife to not come into the man room.

If she tries and make me do chores:

tumblr_mjxcmtrjpQ1r91cn2o5_250.gif

DukeBobby

Been playing for an hour and a half, and I'm really enjoying it.

As many have said, it starts slow, but I don't see a problem with that. Seriously impressed with the graphics too (PC gamer here), but man, the jaggies...they hurt.

Looking forward to playing more tomorrow.

Andrew.

Banned
You know the hype is high when the .gifs start pouring in of all variables.

God forbid this thread when Tricky wakes up in a couple hours lol

Dragon

Banned
Whoever told me that J and L in Chinatown sold the game early to them: it did not work for me. I asked them like five times and they finally got pissy at me and I could tell they wanted to throw me out.

Im in my early thirties, but it's old enough to realize most games nowadays have actually lost complexity compared to titles that I grew up with as a kid. You know what a major part of the complexity was? No internet, no tutorials and no hand holding which are three major factors which make up the medium today in order to appease the masses. You had to crawl before you walked. Learn the ropes and fail a bunch while doing so. In 1988 the only way you were gonna beat that big boss was if Randy in class had the same game and had already passed that part. And you better hope Randy was your buddy.

I'm in my mid-30s, I have been playing games since I first got my C64. Games have definitely taken a step back, and have definitely become less of a tradition 'game' and more of an interactive hand-holding show-and-tell. That's my big problem with this "game," its a dull affair as you're being dragged from story element to story element, required to fight or stealth to get to the next predictable plot point. This shit is Dragon's Lair with more buttons.

Thankfully, the indie scene is taking of the mantle of the old SSIs, Mindscapes and Microproses. Modern AAA gaming just sucks. Still, I want to see how this ends, but I just got involved in State of Decay . . . is Pittsburg about where people say it starts to pick up? I'm just past the old hotel.

Dommel

Downloaded 60% so far, wasn't this supposed to be playable after downloading 50% ?

Nothing is happening, apart from the download continuing.

Dragon

Banned
I'm in my mid-30s, I have been playing games since I first got my C64. Games have definitely taken a step back, and have definitely become less of a tradition 'game' and more of an interactive hand-holding show-and-tell. That's my big problem with this "game," its a dull affair as you're being dragged from story element to story element, required to fight or stealth to get to the next predictable plot point. This shit is Dragon's Lair with more buttons.

Thankfully, the indie scene is taking of the mantle of the old SSIs, Mindscapes and Microproses. Modern AAA gaming just sucks. Still, I want to see how this ends, but I just got involved in State of Decay . . . is Pittsburg about where people say it starts to pick up? I'm just past the old hotel.

Comparing any game to Dragon's Lair is offensive, I don't care how old you are.

State of Decay sucks!

Top Bottom