• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Hope the fire doesn't keep me from playing this tomorrow. Still haven't been placed in mandatory evac, yet, but the zone was moved to a couple hundred feet away a few hours ago, so it's looking almost 100% that I'll have to evac tonight.

I've been sucking on my electronic cigarette constantly for the last 24 hours straight out of nervous habit. I got like 3 hours of sleep last night.

I've just been packing, following the #BlackForestFire hashtag on Twitter, and reading NeoGAF all day. Waiting for the word...

Stay safe, man...

Luckily the rarity of ammo and the option of stealth make the gameplay much more interesting than other AAA chest-high wall shooters.
Why the hate for chest high walls?

Realistically the majority of things to hide behind in an environment are "chest high". Tables, couches, concrete mediums, cars, benches, etc.

Whoa I'm at 44% with 5 hours. No way 7% is going to take me another 4 hours right?!?!. Are you stopping alot just to look at visuals? I'm on hard, not rushing, and trying to find as many items as possible.

Its up to how you play and the difficulty you are playing on. It took me 12.5 hours to finish the game if i remember correctly. On normal difficulty without Listen mode.

nib95

Banned
With the special editions of this game, is the actual game packaging a steelbook? Or a card board box? I don't want all the other bits and bobs, I just want a steelbook version of this game.

Its up to how you play and the difficulty you are playing on. It took me 12.5 hours to finish the game if i remember correctly. On normal difficulty without Listen mode.

Well let me ask you
I just crashed my truck and took out the first group of bad guys there
Would you say I'm almost half way done?

Flek

Banned
holy shit this game :0

the intro whas really great but not as good as tge hype made it - still awesome stuff.

Do you guys have ocasional sound bugs too?

Also if you are using the ps3 sony virtual souround headset which sound settings ingame should i use?

antitrop

Stay safe, man...

0gi03qyg.ydq.gif

Well let me ask you
I just crashed my truck and took out the first group of bad guys there
Would you say I'm almost half way done?

That is
Alone and Forsaken
, which i asked you about before. Did you like it? And no you are not half way done yet. I will check it and be right back with the answer to you.

Hope the fire doesn't keep me from playing this tomorrow. Still haven't been placed in mandatory evac, yet, but the zone was moved to a couple hundred feet away a few hours ago, so it's looking almost 100% that I'll have to evac tonight.

I've been sucking on my electronic cigarette constantly for the last 24 hours straight out of nervous habit. I got like 3 hours of sleep last night.

I've just been packing, following the #BlackForestFire hashtag on Twitter, and reading NeoGAF all day. Waiting for the word...

That's really tense man, hope everything works out

So glad where I live is extremely dull. no fires or earthquakes,tornados,lightning or anything like that. Good old predictable Ireland :)

Alxjn

Does anyone know what the changes between the difficulty levels are? Does it apply to ammo scarcity or do enemies become more 'bullet spongy'?

That is
Alone and Forsaken
, which i asked you about before. Did you like it? And no you are not half way done yet. I will check it and be right back with the answer to you.

Ahhhhh ok. Yes I liked it so far. :D Def had to switch my tactics up a bit. Thanks for checking for me :D

I read someone downloaded like 98% of it and rest unlocks at 12 tonight. Is that even possible?

It's just annoying because I know servers are gonna be hammered so it'll probably take ages to download and I really want to play tonight.

holy shit this game :0

the intro whas really great but not as good as tge hype made it - still awesome stuff.

Do you guys have ocasional sound bugs too?

Also if you are using the ps3 sony virtual souround headset which sound settings ingame should i use?

That the pulse one? It says it's a 7.1 headset so I imagine setting it to 7.1 LPCM if it has it. Uncharted 2 did anyway from what I remember.

Pick any 7.1 setting in game. DTS is a clearer sound and Dolby is a bassier and boomier sound, kind of comes down to what you prefer. LPCM (linear pulse code modulation) is unaltered sound basically, it's uncompressed and should be the clearest and cleanest of the bunch but doesn't have the same sort of cinematic sound or feel to it

I think different options come up for what your headset can do, when I had my AV receiver a while ago it gave me DTS,Dolby and LPCM in Uncharted games so I'm going off that. What do you see in the options menu?

antitrop

That's really tense man, hope everything works out

So glad where I live is extremely dull. no fires or earthquakes,tornados,lightning or anything like that. Good old predictable Ireland :)
It's insane watching the news and they're panning over C-130's dropping slurry on the fire at the exact same time as I'm looking out my window and watching the plane fly over my house.

Sorry it's all so off topic, but this is the most nervous I've ever been since I was in Iraq.

It feels like a Roland Emmerich movie here right now. Which is like... the worst thing ever.

same here man, i think im pretty out of fire range but my friends houses weren't so lucky

stay safe, and i will too

Leeness

Also, totally self absorbed in my excitement, but antitrop, I hope you'll be okay.

Take the PS3 with you and start a giant gaming session at an evac site :)

Flek

Banned
That the pulse one? It says it's a 7.1 headset so I imagine setting it to 7.1 LPCM if it has it. Uncharted 2 did anyway from what I remember.

Pick any 7.1 setting in game. DTS is a clearer sound and Dolby is a bassier and boomier sound, kind of comes down to what you prefer. LPCM (linear pulse code modulation) is unaltered sound basically, it's uncompressed and should be the clearest and cleanest of the bunch but doesn't have the same sort of cinematic sound or feel to it

I think different options come up for what your headset can do, when I had my AV receiver a while ago it gave me DTS,Dolby and LPCM in Uncharted games so I'm going off that. What do you see in the options menu?

should be the pulse (but not elite) the one with the external mic. But its only virtual sourroud so iam not sure - also what option do i choose for dynamic range?

i see standard, stero, stero headphones, pro logic 2, dolby 5.1 and dts

First time ever I'm attending a midnight launch.. :D
Can't wait.

It may be your last. Shit. Some of the most awkward people you'll ever meet attend those things. They're a big reason I stopped going to midnight releases. Being in the same vicinity as some of those people just made me uncomfortable.

But I'll brave the hordes tonight. I must.

It's insane watching the news and they're panning over C-130's dropping slurry on the fire at the exact same time as I'm looking out my window and watching the plane fly over my house.

Sorry it's all so off topic, but this is the most nervous I've ever been since I was in Iraq.

It feels like a Roland Emmerich movie here right now. Which is like... the worst thing ever.

Jeez that's scary. I would probably freak out at that. Living practically IN a forest I can imagine what it's like but just barely.

I think it's ok to go off topic for this :p Neither f us have the game so what else will we talk about? lol

Ahhhhh ok. Yes I liked it so far. :D Def had to switch my tactics up a bit. Thanks for checking for me :D

You are welcome. Below in the spoiler tag is the number of the chapters left in the game for you and also some little opinion of me about the lenght:

15 chapters left after Alone and Forsaken. You are basically half way according to chapter list but the rest of the chapters from now on will be more combat heavy and will be bigger exploration wise so it will take more than what you played to finish the game.

What left is the awesome-ish parts of the game.

Does anyone know what the changes between the difficulty levels are? Does it apply to ammo scarcity or do enemies become more 'bullet spongy'?
I've asked this a few times. Still getting conflicting answers. There are definitely less supplies on harder difficulties. But some have said that enemy health stays the same while others have said otherwise

And I'm still curious about whether there are better equipped enemies or remixed enemies on Hard and Survivor

antitrop

It may be your last. Shit. Some of the most awkward people you'll ever meet attend those things. They're a big reason I stopped going to midnight releases. Being in the same vicinity as some of those people just made me uncomfortable.

The only GameStop midnight launch I've ever attended was Final Fantasy XIII and I have to admit I had an absolutely wonderful time. It was in a shopping mall here, there were tons of people playing BlazBlu, watching Advent Children on BluRay, tons of free pizza, some of the female store managers were cosplaying as Lightning and shit.

Real cool atmosphere, I had a great time when I expected it to be as you said. Didn't smell, either.

Ended up having a nerf-gun shootout in the closed mall, which was AWESOME.

Even the security guard was in it with us.

Can't imagine how you feel. The possibility of impending doom. Not to mention it could delay your playtime! I'll shut up now.

That's ok I'm with one of my friends.
BBq+wine+smoked salmon+scotch SO It won't matter :D

should be the pulse (but not elite) the one with the external mic. But its only virtual sourroud so iam not sure - also what option do i choose for dynamic range?

Dynamic range is just how wide you want the sound to be. Narrow means the sound is all on top of you, wide means it stretches out into the environment. Choose wide for a game like this, it will give you that feeling of being there or in a cinema.

Also what are your settings for audio on the PS3 home screen? You might have to change stuff there to your headphones and all its available settings. Then more audio options will open up in game.

This is basing off nothing really though except past experience with Uncharted 2 so I'm only guessing it's the same. Only so much I can do from here

You are welcome. Below in the spoiler tag is the number of the chapters left in the game for you and also some little opinion of me about the lenght:

15 chapters left after Alone and Forsaken. You are basically half way according to chapter list but the rest of the chapters from now on will be more combat heavy and will be bigger exploration wise so it will take more than what you played to finish the game.

What left is the awesome-ish parts of the game.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! Sounds great to me! :D

Jeez that's scary. I would probably freak out at that. Living practically IN a forest I can imagine what it's like but just barely.

I think it's ok to go off topic for this :p Neither f us have the game so what else will we talk about? lol
I live in upstate New York so the worse we get up here is nor'easters. Although we got hit pretty hard by the hurricane, lost power for a week

But I can never imagine living in a fear of forest fires. I love hiking and being out in the wilderness, but damn...how do you prepare for a disaster like that? I've seen footage from inside a forest fire and it looks like hell on Earth.

I mean, blizzard and hurricanes, you can proof your house, get a generator, supplies, etc. But you can't protect against a fire. Sounds so fucking scary

NekoFever

I played just over three hours, as far as
the woods
. So far it's very impressive and the only criticism I can level at it is the same as I do for Uncharted: I think the combat's a bit janky. But it's graphically stunning, the story and performances are as good as we expect from Naughty Dog these days, and it's really atmospheric. I won't say any more than that I've already had a couple of really intense sequences and can't imagine that will be the end of them given how little I've progressed.

The soundtrack is part of the preorder DLC so I'm listening to that now. I wish more games would bundle them like that.

Flek

Banned
Dynamic range is just how wide you want the sound to be. Narrow means the sound is all on top of you, wide means it stretches out into the environment. Choose wide for a game like this, it will give you that feeling of being there or in a cinema.

Also what are your settings for audio on the PS3 home screen? You might have to change stuff there to your headphones and all its available settings. Then more audio options will open up in game.

This is basing off nothing really though except past experience with Uncharted 2 so I'm only guessing it's the same. Only so much I can do from here

thx a lot man iam going to try this out i switched to dolby 5.1 and wide range lets see how this feels :). Iam also going to chrck the ps3 settings.

The only GameStop midnight launch I've ever attended was Final Fantasy XIII and I have to admit I had an absolutely wonderful time. It was in a shopping mall here, there were tons of people playing BlazBlu, watching Advent Children on BluRay, tons of free pizza, some of the female store managers were cosplaying as Lightning and shit.

I think a lot of it really depends on the game. The midnight launch I went to for Borderlands 2, maybe a dozen people showed up. Ugh. But if it's something with a lot of hype like a Halo or a Call of Duty, there may be enough diversity in the crowd that you end up having a good time. Gamestop does midnight launches for almost every goddamn game, now. So I'm sure a lot of them are just a half-dozen socially inept guys standing around waiting until midnight.

ive lived in colorado springs for 13 years now, i hope fires like this and last years don't happen every year, i want more people to see this awesome city that i love. luckily I'm a bit more south of the fire this year so i feel more safe.

----

amazon has shipped my copy :)

I think a lot of it really depends on the game. The midnight launch I went to for Borderlands 2, maybe a dozen people showed up. Ugh. But if it's something with a lot of hype like a Halo or a Call of Duty, there may be enough diversity in the crowd that you end up having a good time. Gamestop does midnight launches for almost every goddamn game, now. So I'm sure a lot of them are just a half-dozen socially inept guys standing around waiting until midnight.

my borderland 2 launch was completely different, 40+ people, a kid was cosplaying as Claptrap, it was pretty cool

I live in upstate New York so the worse we get up here is nor'easters. Although we got hit pretty hard by the hurricane, lost power for a week

But I can never imagine living in a fear of forest fires. I love hiking and being out in the wilderness, but damn...how do you prepare for a disaster like that? I've seen footage from inside a forest fire and it looks like hell on Earth.

Fires like that also move freakishly fast. you hear people say that but seriously they move so fucking quickly it would really frighten you.

antitrop

ive lived in colorado springs for 13 years now, i hope fires like this and last years don't happen every year, i want more people to see this awesome city that i love. luckily I'm a bit more south of the fire this year so i feel more safe.

----

amazon has shipped my copy :)

Ah, nice. I moved here from PA back in 2000, too. New Jersey before that, which is where I was born.

I'm an East Coaster at heart, I always have been. There are definitely many things I love about Colorado, but the East Coast is my home.

thx a lot man iam going to try this out i switched to dolby 5.1 and wide range lets see how this feels :). Iam also going to chrck the ps3 settings.

No problem my man ;) keep me updated

Is it possible to transfer the soundtrack from my PS3 to my laptop? Probably using a USB, right?

It should be just that easy, you did buy the soundtrack after all and it's yours to do with and move wherever you want

Andrew.

Banned
Ah, nice. I moved here from PA back in 2000, too. New Jersey before that, which is where I was born.

I'm an East Coaster at heart, I always have been. There are definitely many things I love about Colorado, but the East Coast is my home.

Scranton for life yo =P

GAF will ease those nerves

Woohoo, East Coast for life

Was born in Westchester Medical Center. Lived in the Bronx for 15 years, then my family moved upstate

Been living in Yorktown Heights for the last 6 years.

Do you go hiking? Colorado looks gorgeous in all the magazines and shows I've see, would love to hike there one day. I've only hikes around my area, which has tons and tons of mountains and trails

Top Bottom