• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

The came out here in New Zealand and Australia today. I'm in NZ, gonna go pick it up in a few hours :D

BTW if there are any other Kiwis reading this, the game is only $79 at The Warehouse. I think at JB Hi-Fi too.

Andrew.

Banned
Downloaded 60% so far, wasn't this supposed to be playable after downloading 50% ?

Nothing is happening, apart from the download continuing.

GdYrMj1.png

Phenomic

I feel kind of stupid and I'm running around like a goon, but I'm near the very beginning, Very minor spoiler I guess.

I need a door key and I see nothing shimmer or shine or anything that indicates that a key is anywhere in the area.

What obvious thing did I miss? Thanks

Shady859

Seriously considering going to midnight release but then i'd be up all night. It can wait till morning and have a nice long gaming marathon tomorrow. Pumped

Shoyz

I feel kind of stupid and I'm running around like a goon, but I'm near the very beginning, Very minor spoiler I guess.
I need a door key and I see nothing shimmer or shine or anything that indicates that a key is anywhere in the area.

A key or a shiv?

The_Monk

It started out fast for me but it has slowed down. I can't wait.

By the way, any GAFfers got the Survival Pack DLC? Is it really worth it? I wish I could have grabbed both. :/

DrBo42

You're at the docks? Check the bodies or surfaces or drawers

Andrew.

Banned
How long left for you, Andrew?

Picking it up tomorrow on my break during work (Survival Ed). Already cleaned my place up and got everything all ready to go. It's the first time in awhile that I havent taken the day off for a major release.

Work tomorrow is going to suck the big one.

Phenomic

A key or a shiv?

It specifically asks for a key. It's in the area where I'm with Tess fighting the thugs for the 2nd go around. I stealth around and try to take them out without being noticed.

You're at the docks? Check the bodies or surfaces or drawers

I looked near everything that died in the area and found nothing, but no I haven't gotten quite that far yet. Let me go make sure I double check what you suggested. One guy did die in the wall... I wonder if I could have glitched it.

Okay, so I know it's a long shot, but can anyone give me some impressions of how the multiplayer is? Is it better than it looks? Worse than it looks? Do you think it could keep someone like me interested for the rest of the summer? I really liked MGO, the multiplayer for Ghost Recon Future Soldier, the multiplayer for Mass Effect, but I found the multiplayer for Uncharted 3 a little too hectic and spastic. I only played it recently, so all of the players on it were really really good.

How does it compare to the multiplayer on Tomb Raider? I hated that multiplayer.

I hope someone can help me out lol

For those downloading on PSN how does it work. I was under the impression that it was an app you download from the store and then, at unlock it starts the download. I bought it but don't see the app anywhere. Ideas?

DrBo42

It specifically asks for a key. It's in the area where I'm with Tess fighting the thugs for the 2nd go around. I stealth around and try to take them out without being noticed.

I looked near everything that died in the area and found nothing, but no I haven't gotten quite that far yet. Let me go make sure I double check what you suggested. One guy did die in the wall... I wonder if I could have glitched it.

You might need to "Restart encounter".
99% sure it was on someone

The_Monk

Already cleaned my place up and got everything all ready to go

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this! I mean I have always my space clean but I like to have all things in it's place, all stuff cleaned, for a gaming session.*

*I'm also a fan of a simple/minimalistic setup so maybe that's why I like it this way.

I'm in the same boat. Freaking GameStop strikes again :/

I'm downloading the PSN version fellow GAFfer and they had two different option which was a shame because it would be nice to have both.

For anyone who was worried (and if you are, I absolutely appreciate it, of course), it seems that they are beginning to gain control of the Colorado Springs fire.

The Sheriff and Mayor were just on television saying that the fire is now 5% contained and they're considering it a draw and, in turn, a small victory.

The winds have shifted to the northeast and I am a few miles northwest of the fire, so... awesome? Northeast of where the fire is is also the least residential area that the fire could go towards.

Still hoping for the best, it's looking like I won't have to evacuate tonight after all. That said, the mandatory evac zone is literally a block away. If I threw a rock really hard I could probably land it in the evac zone.

Wish you the best, seriously. Evacuating fucking sucks.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this! I mean I have always my space clean but I like to have all things in it's place, all stuff cleaned, for a gaming session.*

*I'm also a fan of a simple/minimalistic setup so maybe that's why I like it this way.

Me too. But I like having my place especially clean when I know I'll be poopsockin it all weekend. All that take-out can get messy.

Phenomic

You might need to "Restart encounter".
99% sure it was on someone

Yeah it was after all. I know I'm not completely inept haha, but I doubted myself there for a minute. It must have just not activated the drop or something because of where it fell.

Thanks for the quick responses all.

The_Monk

For those downloading on PSN how does it work. I was under the impression that it was an app you download from the store and then, at unlock it starts the download. I bought it but don't see the app anywhere. Ideas?

Check you Download List fellow GAffer. It should be there an installer. 200Mb give or take. Get that and from there you will download the full game.

Me too. But I like having my place especially clean when I know I'll be poopsockin it all weekend. All that take-out can get messy.

That's me! Oh man that's amazing, here I was thinking I was the only one who likes to do that.

I'm in my mid-30s, I have been playing games since I first got my C64. Games have definitely taken a step back, and have definitely become less of a tradition 'game' and more of an interactive hand-holding show-and-tell. That's my big problem with this "game," its a dull affair as you're being dragged from story element to story element, required to fight or stealth to get to the next predictable plot point. This shit is Dragon's Lair with more buttons.

Thankfully, the indie scene is taking of the mantle of the old SSIs, Mindscapes and Microproses. Modern AAA gaming just sucks. Still, I want to see how this ends, but I just got involved in State of Decay . . . is Pittsburg about where people say it starts to pick up? I'm just past the old hotel.
Did you read my other posts? By complexity, I meant narrative depth and themes, not gameplay.

Comparing any game to Dragon's Lair is offensive, I don't care how old you are.

State of Decay sucks!
How dare you blaspheme against my dream game made reality, the most auethentic tense zombie game ever made!

Comparing any game to Dragon's Lair is offensive, I don't care how old you are.

State of Decay sucks!

It really doesn't. It has shitty performance, but the game itself is a ton of fun. I'd say it's one of the better XBLA games released. I was playing it last night and was having a great time, even on my second playthrough. For a single-player zombie survival game, it's pretty much in a league of it's own.

That aside. I want my unlock for TLOU. The wait is killing me.

It really doesn't. It has shitty performance, but the game itself is a ton of fun. I'd say it's one of the better XBLA games released. I was playing it last night and was having a great time, even on my second playthrough. For a single-player zombie survival game, it's pretty much in a league of it's own.

Yeah it's one of my favorite games ever. The unscripted moments and sense of danger and tension is up there with Dark Souls
If you got time to kill and want to see why the game is so good, http://forums.undeadlabs.com/showthread.php?17553-The-quot-Oh-Shit-quot-Moments-Thread
25 pages of nothing but unscripted moments of utter panic

Here's one of my recent:
"Damn I feel like an asshole...but I had to survive.

I'm doing my no cars playthrough and was heading over to rescue Jacob. Along the way, I came across a scavenger Anna holed up in the McCready farmhouse. So I agree to help her for half her supplies. But by this point, both melee weapons were yellow and I only had a few bullets left. As we begin gathering supplies, a horde shows up. They breach the fence and come over the wall. I use my last few bullets to take out a few that were attacking Anna. We fight together and attempt to gather supplies

But our fighting only attracted more and soon at least thirty zombies were within the walls. I hear Anna screaming. I peek out the window and most of those 30 have surrounded her, clawing at her. I have no more painkillers and only three zombies are approaching.

I can try and help or I can run. She would be my distraction. It takes a minute for me to decide. Then I turn and climb over the wall. I crouch in the bushes. It's night now and Anna calls for help on last time on the radio. Then silence.

I leave the farmhouse behind, heading for Jacob. I am alive, but at a great cost."

Sorry if this has been answered before. Don't want to read the while thread to not spoil me.

How shareable is this game? The online pass is a "download" (the game is shareable) or a "service" (others users on my console can't play online)?

raphanum

The came out here in New Zealand and Australia today. I'm in NZ, gonna go pick it up in a few hours :D

BTW if there are any other Kiwis reading this, the game is only $79 at The Warehouse. I think at JB Hi-Fi too.

I just went to JB to pick mine up! YAY! By the way, at JB it's $89.

Carl

I'm downloading in the UK. It basically destroyed by internet xD I'm struggling to load anything now and the estimated time remaining is shooting up by the second. Woohoo xD

Did you read my other posts? By complexity, I meant narrative depth and themes, not gameplay.

Oh no, I agree, depth and themes have their place, but the game needs to be, well, a 'game.' It needs to have character interactions that make a difference. Or else it's just doing the motions. And if you are just doing the motions, it needs to wrap you in and make you NOT realize that you are going along a set path. That's my big problems in the games ND makes, I feel like I'm just an actor in a movie they want to direct with no ability to ad-lib. I keep going back to Spec Ops, and that totally made me not realize I was going along a set path with that one. It sold itself convincingly.

Not to cross-post, but for example in SoD, I lost Marcus just to a bad decision I, the player, made. I spent hours building him up, only to loose him to something I could of handled back at base. That had more emotional resonance with me than anything in this game up to this point. Decisions have consequences.

LOL you probably hate me by this point, but thank you for introducing me to SoD. It's great :)

Dragon

Banned

Your opinion != my opinion. The game is boring and soulless in my opinion.

And I must say the intro was very good and it felt like I was watching some golf my favorite. Movies like 28 days later. It does slow down after the awesome beginning but the pacing is good. Graphics are awesome IMO and as many have said before lighting is top of the line. Combat and gameplay is great. Al is also good. In one scenario i was caught off guard from behind and Ellie stabbed the infected in the back.

Mp is different but a fresh change of pace. I wouldn't call it the best mp out there but it doesn't feel tacked on. Love the fact that there is limited ammo and things. No weapon really feels op for me which is good. And my god the mp hraphics are so crisp and clean. As i played i judt keo thinkimg "how do tjhey make it look so good" If youepr worried itfeels like Uncharted mp, it does not, at least imo.

Im loving the game so far and got it early from J and L electronics in Chinatown but i already shared tht info earlier.

LOL you probably hate me by this point, but thank you for introducing me to SoD. It's great :)
You're welcome. I had been following the game for months and it's the type of game where word of mouth is critical to its success. And it's just an incredible game.

And I'm always up for a nice debate. Most forums are nothing but trolls and annoying comments without substance, mixed with good posts. NeoGaf and Undead Labs are the exceptions

DatDude

Banned
Doesn't metacritic have a rule where if a reviewer scores a game much below the average it can be taken off?

I'm looking at Quarter to Three average, and they have the highest percentage for lowest score given. On average he scores 10 points lower than the average metacritic reviewer.

I'm gonna try to email metacritic and see if that 6 can be taken off.

Doesn't metacritic have a rule where if a reviewer scores a game much below the average it can be taken off?

I'm looking at Quarter to Three average, and they have the highest percentage for lowest score given. On average he scores 10 points lower than the average metacritic reviewer.

Seriously? It's one review and it's just a Metacritic score. It doesn't affect our opinions and impressions of the game in any way

Lol that's a funny rule. So metacritic just silences reviewers that go against the consensus opinion?

Dragon

Banned
Im loving the game so far and got it early from J and L electronics in Chinatown but i already shared tht info earlier.

I went all the way down to Chinatown to find that they wouldn't sell me the game. You better not just be advertising that store and lying the whole time!!

Top Bottom