• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

antitrop

Do you go hiking? Colorado looks amazing, would love to hike there one day. I've only hikes around my area, which has tons and tons of mountains and trails
One of my goals of this year has been to become more active in hiking around the state.

Garden of the Gods is the most scenic area I have ever seen in my life, even after living in Hawaii for several years.
Taking some green and walking around Garden of the Gods is easily one of the most enjoyable experiences in the entire country. Even more so if you have a significant other to share the experience with.

SpeedNut

Hope the fire doesn't keep me from playing this tomorrow. Still haven't been placed in mandatory evac, yet, but the zone was moved to a couple hundred feet away a few hours ago, so it's looking almost 100% that I'll have to evac tonight.

I've been sucking on my electronic cigarette constantly for the last 24 hours straight out of nervous habit. I got like 3 hours of sleep last night.

I've just been packing, following the #BlackForestFire hashtag on Twitter, and reading NeoGAF all day. Waiting for the word...

Hopefully everything turns out OK antitrop.

One of my goals of this year has been to become more active in hiking around the state.

Garden of the Gods is the most scenic area I have ever seen in my life, even after living in Hawaii for several years.
Taking some green and walking around Garden of the Gods is easily one of the most enjoyable experiences in the entire country. Even more so if you have a significant other to share the experience with.
Never heard of that area.

*checks it out online*

O_O

Wow

Andrew.

Banned

"I got laid in the Garden of the Gods"

I'd wear that shirt.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Im sure this has been answered multiple times (Sowwy) but any idea of the download size?
Im thinking on grabbing the digital version day one.

AlexBasch

Question for the Europe folks.

You need to be logged in with the profile where you bought the game, or you just launched the game or how the hell does is this gonna work for NTSC people? :p

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Hope I don't need to wait too long for this download to go live. Never buying from the Playstation Store after this nonsense.

Hope the fire doesn't keep me from playing this tomorrow. Still haven't been placed in mandatory evac, yet, but the zone was moved to a couple hundred feet away a few hours ago, so it's looking almost 100% that I'll have to evac tonight.

I've been sucking on my electronic cigarette constantly for the last 24 hours straight out of nervous habit. I got like 3 hours of sleep last night.

I've just been packing, following the #BlackForestFire hashtag on Twitter, and reading NeoGAF all day. Waiting for the word...

Jesus, be safe man. Just take your ps3 with you, and hunker down in a hotel with the last of us for the weekend :p.

Also, Some hotels don't have hdtvs, so bring one.

Priorities man.

wait a minute, parts of this game take place in Colorado... Hmmmm
Antitrop is patient zero.

I had posted this on the official forums two weeks ago, but wanted your opinions as well
----
Us gamers know the truth but it seems the general public still assumes games are for kids. Before you refute that, consider this: all of the studys regarding game violence have been done on young children. Politicians and the media talk about young kids being influenced.

But consider this. I'm 21, being playing games my whole life. Same with my 11 year old brother. My 3 year old cousin is already starting; she's a pro with an iPad and loves Temple Run 2 and Subway Surfer. All this talk in the news, basically demonizing video games, giving parents misunderstood impressions...older generations didnt grow up with the games of today, don't understand how complex and mature the medium can be. Maybe in 20 years, games will be as appreciated and rewarded as movies and literature are now.

But can a game like The Last of Us begin that process now? A game designed to explore dark adult themes in a bleak mature narrative. That seeks to use violence not as a simple way to excite and thrill but to demonstrate how morality has shifted and crumbled. A game that show that the medium is not just for kids but can deliver a narrative suitable for adults as well.
--
I never understood the parental aversion to their kid sitting down and playing games. Especially considering that one also sits for an hour or two to read a book. Sure many books may be more mentally stimulating, but games are unique in their own way. Through online, one can build diverse friendships that span the globe or just meet up with their friends from school. They teach resource management, decision making, and just provide a narrative in a more hands-on engrossing way.
--
It's a real shame that video games are this era's "evil entertainment". Before it was rock and roll, comics, banned books, etc. Guess the good news is that all those mediums have been accepted and praised by the general population now. So maybe once the next generation grows up and have their children, the general consensus will have shifted. And the great thing is that I and the rest of my generation will be around to see that change.
--

DrBo42

Just entered the
hotel area
from that past E3.

-The AI is not that bright, a lot of smoke and mirrors here.

-Pure stealth is not intended in this game. It really wants for you to try it and fail so things can "kick off" or whatever term they like to use. It's really bland and repetitive if you just ghost everything with Ellie constantly giving you some shocked reaction even though this is the 100th enemy I've choked out or shiv'd the exact same way. Edit: Playing on Hard FYI.

-Skipping an area with enemies and returning to it magically has them pop back into the area (I had a clicker pop in 10 ft from me once)

For everything I love about the game, there's something that pulls me back from it. I always want to go back after an hour or a few hours though. It's really strange.

Overall impression so far is that anyone giving this a 10/10 is a victim of that first week hype unless this game REALLY picks up soon.

As an older generational gamer I radically deny this statement.
My parents, grandparents, many other older people I know, many many politicians...I guess you could be part of the minority of older gamers. Did you grow up playing early systems, cause that could be a major variable?

But by older generation, I'm talking 40,50+

antitrop

wait a minute, parts of this game take place in Colorado... Hmmmm
Holy shit, if The Last of Us has post-apocalypse Garden of the Gods I'm going to freak the fuck out. Didn't even think about that, even though I knew that parts of the game took place here.

j-wood

It's insane watching the news and they're panning over C-130's dropping slurry on the fire at the exact same time as I'm looking out my window and watching the plane fly over my house.

Sorry it's all so off topic, but this is the most nervous I've ever been since I was in Iraq.

It feels like a Roland Emmerich movie here right now. Which is like... the worst thing ever.

I'm with you man, here in COS as well. I'm close to the fire, but not in any zones. Stay safe.

24GB is fuckin' insane for a console game.

Max Payne 3 on PC was like 30GB and I thought that was ridicuous.

I think UC3 was around 40GB or something.

Reminder for those going digital: Correct me if im wrong, you have to have TWICE the amount on your HDD in order to even download the thing. Meaning you probably need about 48gb free.

Andrew.

Banned
My parents, grandparents, many other older people I know, many many politicians...I guess you could be part of the minority of older gamers. Did you grow up playing early systems, cause that could be a major variable?

But by older generation, I'm talking 40,50+

Im in my early thirties, but it's old enough to realize most games nowadays have actually lost complexity compared to titles that I grew up with as a kid. You know what a major part of the complexity was? No internet, no tutorials and no hand holding which are three major factors which make up the medium today in order to appease the masses. You had to crawl before you walked. Learn the ropes and fail a bunch while doing so. In 1988 the only way you were gonna beat that big boss was if Randy in class had the same game and had already passed that part. And you better hope Randy was your buddy.

1371165418580.jpg

Here we go, marathon!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The only GameStop midnight launch I've ever attended was Final Fantasy XIII and I have to admit I had an absolutely wonderful time. It was in a shopping mall here, there were tons of people playing BlazBlu, watching Advent Children on BluRay, tons of free pizza, some of the female store managers were cosplaying as Lightning and shit.

Real cool atmosphere, I had a great time when I expected it to be as you said. Didn't smell, either.

Ended up having a nerf-gun shootout in the closed mall, which was AWESOME.

Even the security guard was in it with us.

Damn son

Just entered the
hotel area
from that past E3.

-Pure stealth is not intended in this game. It really wants for you to try it and fail so things can "kick off" or whatever term they like to use. It's really bland and repetitive if you just ghost everything with Ellie constantly giving you some shocked reaction even though this is the 100th enemy I've choked out or shiv'd the exact same way. Edit: Playing on Hard FYI.

-Skipping an area with enemies and returning to it magically has them pop back into the area (I had a clicker pop in 10 ft from me once)

For everything I love about the game, there's something that pulls me back from it. I always want to go back after an hour or a few hours though. It's really strange.

Overall impression so far is that anyone giving this a 10/10 is a victim of that first week hype unless this game REALLY picks up soon.

Derrick and I knew all along.

delta25

Banned
Holy shit, if The Last of Us has post-apocalypse Garden of the Gods I'm going to freak the fuck out. Didn't even think about that, even though I knew that parts of the game took place here.

ND has a knack for making sure real world locations in their games feature a popular landmark or place relative to that area in which the game takes place.

Im in my early thirties, but it's old enough to realize most games nowadays have actually lost complexity compared to titles that I grew up with as a kid. You know what a major part of the complexity was? No internet, no tutorials and no hand holding which are three major factors which make up the medium today in order to appease the masses. You had to crawl before you walked. Learn the ropes and fail a bunch while doing so. In 1988 the only way you were gonna beat that big boss was if Randy in class had the same game and had already passed that part. And you better hope Randy was your buddy.
Also by complexity, I mean narrative-wise. Half the time you hear video game violence brought up, you hear Mortal Kombat, GTA, etc. And they seem to assume that games are all about the thrill of virtual killing. But we've seen game narratives mature so much and develop into so many genres with endless possibilities. Flower, Journey, LittleBigPlanet? Even TLOU, a very violent game, is violent for a narrative and atmosphere reason not just mindless violence

kasane

Just entered the
hotel area
from that past E3.

Not sure which is which anymore

Andrew.

Banned
ND has a knack for making sure real world locations in their games feature a popular landmark or place relative to that area in which the game takes place.

Yeah in the demo, my buddy who grew up in Boston immediately recognized a couple of the buildings and started freaking the fuck out. It was pretty cool.

Interesting points, please tell me that you have completed Spec Ops: The Line.

Of course. What a twisted dark narrative. As someone who is fascinated by modern combat as well as psychology (I'm a psych major), it was a treat to see a game that had such a mature story without sacrificing good gameplay

Top Bottom