• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

DatDude

Banned
It definitely lost its way towards the last third but it wasn't long enough to spoil the experience. The thing is though I am already far enough through to want to finish the game TLOU makes me not want to play any further.

@DatDude

Its not that I dont like the characters its that I am not given a reason to like or care about them in anyway. The game tries to at the beginning but fails. I know what the game is trying to do
Its trying to draw the parallels between Ellie and his own daughter and im sure that comes to play further in but I dont care enough to want to get that far

Well isn't that a reason right there? The spoiler text.

Just seems you don't like that particular reasoning.

I'm a history buff so exploring Revolution-era America was cool, the combat was fun, and I like the free running...but beyond that, AC has lost its way.

Nope, can't even agree there. Combat was FAR too easy and they removed cool shit like picking up weapons mid fight and adding a weird auto lock on that didn't work as well as older versions.

Free running never once worked properly for me. not once. Running along a tree Connor jumps to the ground or a haystack or to another tree I didn't aim at. Running along a boat he jumps over everything instead of just running in a straight line and then he leaps into the sea. Incredibly frustrating

Andrew.

Banned
It doesn't. But I'm sure on Normal, and especially easy you could since there's enough ammo to do so.

I cant possibly see how anyone could get any enjoyment out of that unless they're going on their second or third NG+ run with all of the weapons fully upgraded and equipped.

Didnt the Poly review guy play it like some typical TPS in his vid?

DatDude

Banned
I cant possibly see how anyone could get any enjoyment out of that unless they're going on their second or third NG+ run with all of the weapons fully upgraded and equipped.

Didnt the Poly review guy play it like some typical TPS in his vid?

Well some people hate playing stealth games. I'm sure if they enjoy pew, pew, pew, they can get that enjoyment in tlou.

Just got back from EB. The Joel Edition and statue are mine. Bye GAF!

xCQV6Mi.gif

anyone know the chances of picking this up at walmart at midnight? No midnight releases around me and I've never tried to pick up a new release at midnight from walmart.... Curious if they even will have it stocked.

Nope, can't even agree there. Combat was FAR too easy and they removed cool shit like picking up weapons mid fight and adding a weird auto lock on that didn't work as well as older versions.

Free running never once worked properly for me. not once. Running along a tree Connor jumps to the ground or a haystack or to another tree I didn't aim at. Running along a boat he jumps over everything instead of just running in a straight line and then he leaps into the sea. Incredibly frustrating
The Arkham games still have the best combat IMO, but I thought AC3 was fun. But my main draw was just exploring the world. And I was reading 1776 at the time so I was obsessed with anything American Revolution related

antitrop

anyone know the chances of picking this up at walmart at midnight? No midnight releases around me and I've never tried to pick up a new release at midnight from walmart.... Curious if they even will have it stocked.
Walmart and Target are your best bets for midnight. Start calling your local ones and ask for the electronics department.

Well isn't that a reason right there? The spoiler text.

Just seems you don't like that particular reasoning.

Yeah it is a reason but an extremely cliche one.

What I am trying to say based on my current time played on it the reasoning isn't done well enough. Do I think I will magically care later on? Nope not one bit. Its the typical polar opposites when they first meet and then they have more in common than they think.

spannicus

If not on shelf should be in the stock room, just politely ask an associate or manager to check to put it on shelf.

Okay last AC comment:
I'd love to see a feudal Japan AC. Ninjas, real ninjas not movie ninjas, have such a fascinating history and would fit perfectly into the AC mythos. And it would be the perfect way to reboot the series and refocus on stealth.

Ninjas were basically the Agent 47s of the era. They dressed as commoners, utilized weapons that were fashioned to look like regular tools. They could be the cook, the farmer in the field, the merchant selling wares. And when those methods weren't possible, they had tons of inventive tools and weapons: air bladders and ripe pipes that allowed them to say submerged for extended periods, rope darts, hollowed glass powder eggs to blind and distract, smoke bombs, claws for climbing trees, grappling hooks...

Ninjas were also basically mercenaries, hired by shoguns and samurais to the unhonorable missions. Assassinations, eaves dropping, intimidation, infiltration, etc.

It's such a perfect fit for the series. I really hope we see that setting next gen

DatDude

Banned
Yeah it is a reason but an extremely cliche one.

What I am trying to say based on my current time played on it the reasoning isn't done well enough. Do I think I will magically care later on? Nope not one bit. Its the typical polar opposites when they first meet and then they have more in common than they think.

Well from what I understand..reading reviews.

This is a CLICHED story. Telling you right now, this isn't Bioshock Infintie, where it goes balls to the walls with it's narrative. If you've seen apocalyptic films or shows YOU WILL KNOW what will happen next.

What reviewers have been praising this game is the EXECUTION. The voice acting, the performance of the characters, the writing, the dialogue, the atmosphere. Just the pure execution of all these elements. From what I understand the story is predictable, but the execution is far and above from what most developers are able to achieve.

Okay last AC comment:
I'd love to see a feudal Japan AC. Ninjas, real ninjas not movie ninjas, have such a fascinating history and would fit perfectly into the AC mythos. And it would be the perfect way to reboot the series and refocus on stealth.

Ninjas were basically the Agent 47s of the era. They dressed as commoners, utilized weapons that were fashioned to look like regular tools. They could be the cook, the farmer in the field, the merchant selling wares. And when those methods weren't possible, they had tons of inventive tools and weapons: air bladders and ripe pipes that allowed them to say submerged for extended periods, rope darts, hollowed glass powder eggs to blind and distract, smoke bombs, claws for climbing trees, grappling hooks...

Ninjas were also basically mercenaries, hired by shoguns and samurais to the unhonorable missions. Assassinations, eaves dropping, intimidation, infiltration, etc.

It's such a perfect fit for the series. I really hope we see that setting next gen

Technically Ninjas are Samurais ;)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

This is a CLICHED story. Telling you right now, this isn't Bioshock Infintie, where it goes balls to the walls with it's narrative. If you've seen apocalyptic films or shows YOU WILL KNOW what will happen next.

What reviewers have been praising this game is the EXECUTION. The voice acting, the performance of the characters, the writing, the dialogue, the atmosphere. Just the pure execution of all these elements. From what I understand the story is predictable, but the execution is far and above from what most developers are able to achieve.

Well how could you not give it a 10 at this point. No game has ever had great story telling before.

Reviewers are wrong then, are you trying to tell me a perfect game has a cliched story? No way. To me anyway the execution is sub par also. Im sitting in my room in the dark at 2am I know I am supposed to be scared but im not the atmosphere doesnt make me feel anything and then I see the chest high wall and I sigh as I know its time to stealth/shoot my way through the section. The Voice acting is great though (im not sure Ellie sounds as old as she is but I can overlook that).

Technically Ninjas are Samurais ;)
I've done a lot of personal research on the subject. They're two distinct groups. The Samurai were the honorable soldiers, on the frontlines. Ninjas were usually groups or families who passed the trade through generations. They were hired by shoguns or samurais themselves to the missions samurais wouldn't. Like assassinations, kidnapping, infiltration, infomation gathering, tracking, etc.

I've done a lot of personal research on the subject. They're two distinct groups. The Samurai were the honorable soldiers, on the frontlines. Ninjas were usually groups or families who passed the trade through generations. They were hired by shoguns or samurais themselves to the missions samurais wouldn't. Like assassinations, kidnapping, infiltration, infomation gathering, tracking, etc.

Holy shit guys please stop.

DatDude

Banned
Reviewers are wrong then, are you trying to tell me a perfect game has a cliched story? No way. To me anyway the execution is sub par also. Im sitting in my room in the dark at 2am I know I am supposed to be scared but im not the atmosphere doesnt make me feel anything and then I see the chest high wall and I sigh as I know its time to stealth/shoot my way through the section. The Voice acting is great though (im not sure Ellie sounds as old as she is but I can overlook that).

There wrong? An I assume your right?

Isn't there a thing called opinions?

Last time I checked we aren't robots who have universal opinions, and are affected all the same way.

My parents, grandparents, many other older people I know, many many politicians...I guess you could be part of the minority of older gamers. Did you grow up playing early systems, cause that could be a major variable?

But by older generation, I'm talking 40,50+

I'll be 37 this year. All I can say is that when I see an 8 or16 bit pixel art background, it sorta kick-starts my imagination. I'm instantly transported somewhere farther away and more mysterious than any current gen environment, narrative, or characters have ever taken me. The connection I feel with a character I'm in direct control of is always deeper than the connections most cinematic games want me to feel with them. The narrative I build through doing almost always feels more personal than the narrative I'm told. There's nothing inherently immature about play.

As for older than me, my folks always thought RPGs were interesting. Still, they like the gamey games mostly. My Dad is 75 and loves Tetris. I'm giving him an NES with it for his birthday this year.

Edit: Damn, this thread is truckin

Everyone should play The Void while they're waiting. It's nothing like this game in any way, but more people should play it <3 If you want a incredibly unique structure and story there's your game.

Is there any special game setting for this through the pulse headset?

DatDude

Banned
Is this your shtick?? Debbie downer, rain on rainbow ronny?

Just ignore him.

I doubt he even wants to play this game. I just think he saw all of the perfect review scores, and saw gameplay and went "HOW THE FUCK CAN THIS GET A 10!?!?."

Probably wants to prove how much critics are wrong..I'm assuming at least.

When will I be able to download the game from the store? I pre-ordered it and the theme is there. I'm assuming since i'm on the east coast that it will end up being 3 in the morning.

Herbert Moon

Neo Member
To those of you who already had a chance to play the game, what's the verdict on the difficulty? Medium or Hard for a first playthrough?

Does medium swamp you with ammunition, items, and crafting materials like most games? Seeing as how this is dubbed a "survival" game, I would hope they are relatively scarce, and always feel valuable.

Linconan

Just got back from EB. The Joel Edition and statue are mine. Bye GAF!

xCQV6Mi.gif

Enjoy dude ;)

When i'm not playing the game, i'm looking at the Statue.
When i'm not looking at the Statue, i'm playing the game.

Looks like this thread should be going quiet soon, everybody will be enjoying themselves with the Last Of Us, LOL
GIFSoup

DatDude

Banned
To those of you who already had a chance to play the game, what's the verdict on the difficulty? Medium or Hard for a first playthrough?

Does medium swamp you with ammunition, items, and crafting materials like most games? Seeing as how this is dubbed a "survival" game, I would hope they are relatively scarce, and always feel valuable.

Play with Hard, listen mode off. That's been the verdict.

Walmart and Target are your best bets for midnight. Start calling your local ones and ask for the electronics department.

If not on shelf should be in the stock room, just politely ask an associate or manager to check to put it on shelf.

Just had to share this...

One of the walmarts I called, I got a nice (sounded young) lady... I asked her if they would be stocking it at midnight... She told me if the game comes out tomorrow, they would be launching it midnight TOMORROW.. They would stock it midnight the day it comes out. I politely explained technically midnight the day of is tonight, I was curtly told thats not right and she explained that is their policy. I just sat there for a moment not really knowing what to say to that and finally settled on 'well thank you for the information, that is news to me. Thanks for your time.'

Wow? Haha. I'll probably stroll up there around 12:30 and take a peek anyway and ask in person (politely of course).

antitrop

One of the walmarts I called, I got a nice (sounded young) lady... I asked her if they would be stocking it at midnight... She told me if the game comes out tomorrow, they would be launching it midnight TOMORROW.. They would stock it midnight the day it comes out. I politely explained technically midnight the day of is tonight, I was curtly told thats not right and she explained that is their policy. I just sat there for a moment not really knowing what to say to that and finally settled on 'well thank you for the information, that is news to me. Thanks for your time.'

Wow? Haha. I'll probably stroll up there around 12:30 and take a peek anyway and ask in person (politely of course).
Shaking my head... call a different store. I work retail, but sometimes the sheer incompetence of retail associates blows my mind.

DrBo42

I can't remember what the line was but there was a specific one that made me say "Wait what?" due to the tone and delivery. It was clearly a woman delivering that line, not a girl. Pulled me out of it but that only happened once so far.

There wrong? An I assume your right?

Isn't there a thing called opinions?

Last time I checked we aren't robots who have universal opinions, and are affected all the same way.

I was going on what you were saying, that isn't the point though. The point is you come into a game like TLOU not for the gameplay or the graphics you come for the atmosphere, adventure and the story. So far TLOU has one of those things right and thats the adventure everything else falls by the wayside.

I'm against giving 10/10's non stop its the top of the paradigm that shouldn't be given but to be strived for. The fact a games so seemingly mediocre as TLOU is supposed to be perfect is ludicrous. It isn't even the fact 'the game just isn't for me' that doesn't make sense in my case. The apocalypse is a favoured theme of mine but TLOU just gets it wrong.

I like the voice acting and I like the melee but thats it the rest is mediocre. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but no game is perfect and TLOU certainly isn't perfect nor is it anywhere close.

spannicus

She got confused with midnight the 15th, yea i would go up there too.

Top Bottom