• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Artex

Banned
I'll be away on a business trip and home late Friday. I have coworkers picking up my Post Pandemic edition and putting it in my cube. On my way home from the airport im having the driver swing by the office so I can get it. Gonna be a rough five hour flight.

Man, I can't believe it's almost here. Been looking forward to this game ever since it was revealed at the VGAs way back when. Nice OT btw.

Phreak47

Damn why is there is so little trophies? Don't games usually have around 40-50 trophies?

Either way I can't wait to platinum it. Plus I can't wait to try out the mulitplayer and join the GAF clan.

I was listening to the IGN no spoiler thingy yesterday and they were commenting on this... they said they were glad there were so few, because the immersion in the game is so great, the constant "pling" would actually be jarring and annoying.

And I can totally see that.

So what are you guys more excited for...E3 or the release of the game?

The Last of Us has actually made me almost not even care for E3! O__o

E3 no question. I can't wait for this game, but this E3 is going to be absolutely insane with hype. All 3 companies will drop bombs + PS4 deets, and Microsoft trying to crawl out of their PR garbage dump.

antitrop

So what are you guys more excited for...E3 or the release of the game?

The Last of Us has actually made me almost not even care for E3! O__o
Since I'm not buying a next-gen console, I'm really only interested in potential PC ports of games being shown off.

So, my hype for E3 is pretty whatever.

The Last of Us, however...

excitement-o.gif

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
My impressions (no story spoilers but if you want to go in fresh without knowing gameplay details, best not to read on):

7 hours in and it's easily my favorite Naughty Dog game this generation. So much less handholding and I haven't experienced any obtrusive set piece moments yet. The combat is tight and often times tense, leaving you wondering how else the scuffle could have played out (reloaded a few checkpoints to try to get over certain parts in different ways). Level design is wide and varied where you'd often find yourself wandering around a room full of enemies before moving forward with a specific strategy. Throwing bottles at unsuspecting enemies and sprinting to grab and shiv a motherfucker is so intensely satisfying. Everything from the animations to the way the AI reacts to your actions is brilliantly done. I usually try to avoid combat if possible since, obviously, resources are scarce and really make you think about what your next move should be (managed to get past the E3 demo part without alerting anyone which was great). The real time item management adds a level of tension that makes certain scenarios exciting. I also love little touches like when you read a note like in any other game, Joel would react to the contents of the note once you've put it away with whoever's around.

Loving the hell out of this so far. You guys are in for a treat.

Vire

Since I'm not buying a next-gen console, I'm really only interested in potential PC ports of games being shown off.

So, my hype for E3 is pretty whatever.

The Last of Us, however...

excitement-o.gif

You say that now,

But when Naughty Dog shows off their next game....

Fixed1979

Well E3 this year is too big to not be excited for. All I can say is that this week is gonna an amazing week for games.

Yeah, E3 is going to be pretty silly this year. It's going to be nice to settle down with this next weekend once it's all over.

So I found a 1080p video on YouTube. Thankfully it's a little bit in and in Russian. Spoilers abound obviously.

Nothing major... although I don't speak Russian so who knows what's being said.

The attention to detail in this game is borderline obsessive. Unreal the time and effort that went into this.

It really puts in perspective how much of a difference there is between Naughty Dogs and other studios developing for the PS3. (Aside from Sony Santa Monica).

Thanks for posting this. I wanted to watch some new gameplay, but didn't want to spoil any of the story. And this is obviously from the tutorial on Easy. The funny thing is I recognized the scene, because someone on GameFaqs was trolling about how bad the AI was, how the enemies would just stand there with their back to doorways. LOL

Anyway, details that stood out:

As Joel's choking the guy, the other starts shooting and the bullets hit the enemy he's choking

Blood stain spreading on the Joel's shirt

How open a simple tutorial area is, different rooms and ways to go. Can't imagine what that means for the later areas

antitrop

You say that now,

But when Naughty Dog shows off their next game....
I've already committed to upgrading my GPU next year instead of getting a new console.

I can see myself picking up a PlayStation 4 in 2015, probably. Xbone is pretty much out of the question.

Loudninja

My impressions (no story spoilers but if you want to go in fresh without knowing gameplay details, best not to read on):

7 hours in and it's easily my favorite Naughty Dog game this generation. So much less handholding and I haven't experienced any obtrusive set piece moments yet. The combat is tight and often times tense, leaving you wondering how else the scuffle could have played out (reloaded a few checkpoints to try to get over certain parts in different ways). Level design is wide and varied where you'd often find yourself wandering around a room full of enemies before moving forward with a specific strategy. Throwing bottles at unsuspecting enemies and sprinting to grab and shiv a motherfucker is so intensely satisfying. Everything from the animations to the way the AI reacts to your actions is brilliantly done. I usually try to avoid combat if possible since, obviously, resources are scarce and really make you think about what your next move should be (managed to get past the E3 demo part without alerting anyone which was great). The real time item management adds a level of tension that makes certain scenarios exciting. I also love little touches like when you read a note like in any other game, Joel would react to the contents of the note once you've put it away with whoever's around.

Thanks for the great impressions.

Can you share some cool moments with the enemy AI? I want to hear how smart, dynamic, etc. the AI is.
Balance of Power FTW

Just no spoilery stuff like locations...

Awesome work on the OT. Can't wait to play this! Went from a kinda interested to a insta buy after the reviews started pouring out.

Shady859

Oh my just noticed the friday release date I quit keeping up with this awhile ago waiting till release. Kinda glad since i've been without proper internet all week and just now getting to pick up State of Decay over on 360. Seeing all these reviews I wish i'd pre-orders the Survival Edition, looks sold out everywhere.

Was looking through my Newegg purchases and apparently Ive had this preordered at Newegg since 6/4/12 for $48 I may have to wait til the following week to get my copy o_O Idk if I can handle the additional wait

antitrop

I am absolutely a person that typically plays games on Normal, or even sometimes Easy, but for this game I am committing to Hard for my first playthrough.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Was looking through my Newegg purchases and apparently Ive had this preordered at Newegg since 6/4/12 for $48 I may have to wait til the following week to get my copy o_O Idk if I can handle the additional wait

I have the same dealio, cept I think I have it for $45. Either way I'm probably going to get a copy from gamestop (If I cant score a survival edish) and return the one from newegg.

Darknight

Why the fuck where preorders cut so early for the LE/CE of this game. Why the hell this game of all games? I want a Survival Edition but its gone from all places near me and online.

Dumbest shit ever. Guess ND will lose a sale from me. Oh well, used it is.

Top Bottom