• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Superflat

Goddammit why even compare the two. Ign why are you so shit?
Plenty of reviewers at least mentioned Infinite. They're both wide-linear single player campaigns that completely revolve around a AI partner. And they're two blockbuster games with universal acclaim. It didn't seem that cray to me that it would be brought up.

antitrop

Plenty of reviewers at least mentioned Infinite when comparing. They're both wide-linear single player campaigns that completely revolve around a AI partner. And they're two blockbuster games with universal acclaim. It didn't seem that cray to me that it would be brought up.
And that's how the games are being compared in that clip, not directly.

They even start talking more about Uncharted after a few minutes than Bioshock. And then Tomb Raider multiplayer comparison.

Phreak47

Was gonna get those, how are they?

They're quite excellent, and a big plus for me that they fit because I have a pretty large head and some headphones won't fit me because of it.

Sound is great... the "rumble" effect is gimmicky but can be increased/reduced/disabled as you see fit.

They also work on a PC (albeit without virtual surround support, that's only on PS3)... and they're essentially my Counterstrike:GO headphones.

Also... better than the original ones with the discreet mic (no boom to break or annoy you)

My eyes almost rolled out of my head when I saw that link title, but watching the clip it's really not so bullshit. It's mostly comparing abstract ideas or gaming tropes.

Eh, it's fairly bullshitty all the same. I mean TLOU isn't even out long enough for proper discussion yet and everyone loved Infinite at first before proper discussion happened to break apart certain sections of it and now opinions are very split on it.

I think the honeymoon period has to wash off TLOU more before comparing both games. I have no doubt it's good but you get what I mean

And that's how the games are being compared in that clip, not directly.

They even start talking more about Uncharted after a few minutes than Bioshock. And then Tomb Raider multiplayer comparison.

I do like that point they brought up about MP actually. They said TLOU would have been fine without it and I'd agree. But they almost went as far as to say it shouldn't be counted in the reviews

Loakum

Banned
The Last of Us: Post Pandemic Edition box art looks purdy. *hurry up friday*

2oreIu6.png

Darknight

So why show TlOu at E3? Like Im on blackout mode and Sony is gonna spoil some shit for alot of gamers?

Like I hope its on the show floor but not do a live demo of the final build. I've seen enough to know what it is and dont need to be spoiled at the live Sony presser.

antitrop

I do like that point they brought up about MP actually. They said TLOU would have been fine without it and I'd agree. But they almost went as far as to say it shouldn't be counted in the reviews
I'm sure a lot of reviewers do consider the single player campaign to be a 10, which is not hard to believe.

That fact that we're getting what appears to be an above-average multiplayer component on top of what is potentially the best narrative campaign of the generation is too much for me to handle.

Loudninja

Love this quote from Edge:
While this is not an open-world game in the textbook sense, it feels remarkably dense for employing such spacious environments. A typical slice of unbroken space might incorporate a street, several alleys and a variety of multistorey shops or dwellings. This approach to level design gracefully serves the game’s narrative context: when an apocalyptic event knocks out the structured routine of law-abiding society, you’d expect there to be more latitude in your decision-making.

The world of The Last Of Us is big enough to get lost in, and without the aid of a minimap, we did on several occasions. Whereas Uncharted often felt like walking down a scenic but clearly delineated hiking trail, The Last Of Us prizes deep, meaningful exploration. You’re constantly looting for supplies, not just for ammo and upgrades.
http://www.edge-online.com/review/the-last-of-us-review/

Amir0x

Banned
man if this game has real exploration on top of being genuinely challenging I will definitely be on board for Naughty Dog games again

I get the strange feeling that The Last of Us will be a game like RDR, where I become obsessed and play it over and over again. Between State of Decay, and this next Friday(?!), I'll have my post-apocalyptic quota filled. It's a great time to be a gamer.

Magnus

The in-game weather about 2-3 hours in is giving the entire display a pretty washed out, faded look instead of making it just seem foggy. Kind of distressing. =/

It should tell you a lot that that's the only thing I can find to complain about. Haha.

RoKKeR

Good news! My friend is letting my borrow his PS3 for the summer before I go off to college, so I will be able to play The Last of Us, along with every other PS3 exclusive I've missed over the years.

I'm pretty pumped.

antitrop

I would add the season finale of Game of Thrones. *I love that show*

OH SHIT, IT IS. I'm not sure that I've fully recovered from last week, yet.

No specifics, but I think that one episode alone might have thrown GoT over the top of Breaking Bad for my favorite show on television.

jett

D-Member
I don't know why I even bothered going on media blackout for this fucking thing. What's the point when I see a lot of people crying about being spoiled, and then Naughty Dog themselves saying
how sequels would require new casts
(See Nirolak, this is called being a pal). OH I WONDER WHAT THE SPOILER IS ABOUT.

I haven't technically been spoiled but I'm not a fucking idiot. Maybe I'll still enjoy this game despite what I can only imagine is an obviously emotionally manipulative ending.

Can't wait! Hope to get the game on Friday... (chile, latin America) this is the fist time I see an ad campaign in the local media, TV ads, billboards, the works. Hype train full speed ahead!

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Should get my copy today. Hopefully can finish it before E3 begins, but that would mean rushing through the game which I don't want to do.

Loakum

Banned
OH SHIT, IT IS. I'm not sure that I've fully recovered from last week, yet.

No specifics, but I think that one episode alone might have thrown GoT over the top of Breaking Bad for my favorite show on television.

me neither! I literally just sat there starring blank faced at my tv screen, way after the credits was over...I think one man-tear ran down my face. I was in shock.

I hope I'm not the only one who notices similarities between zombiU and TLOU.

Not in copying concepts or graphics, etc, but the desolate nature and vulnerability, not to mention the way the the scares are presented.

I haven't played it yet, of course, but from reviews and podcasts, it sounds exactly the same for all the reasons I really enjoyed zombiU and that is pretty exciting.

Shallwhat

Banned
So it's been confirmed that TLOU will be shown at E3.

What should we expect? Just the launch trailer? Or a short gameplay segment?

And what's the likelihood of Sony ending its conference with an Uncharted 4 for PS4 reveal?

TLOU is going to be one hell of a swan song for the PS3 and Uncharted 4 would be an incredible way to jumpstart the PS4

I think I would rather have a brand new Crash Bandicoot. If they showed that, I'd be throwing my money at the screen.

antitrop

I am a man of weak will. I haven't been on a blackout for this game, but I'm relatively uninformed about it (I just found out what listen mode was like, what, half an hour ago?).

I haven't watched the intro on YT, yet, but I have a feeling I will end up doing so before I actually play the game.

hlhbk

I am a man of weak will. I haven't been on a blackout for this game, but I'm relatively uninformed about it (I just found out what listen mode was like, what, half an hour ago?).

I haven't watched the intro on YT, yet, but I have a feeling I will end up doing so before I actually play the game.

Be strong! Hold the line!

Preordered the Sights and Sounds pack on PSN.

Looking forward to Friday :)

Wait, how?

When I preordered on PSN, I finalized my checkout, it took me to download the preorder static theme, and that's it. Never got to choose between the two packs

Phreak47

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! I've got chills in my spine watching the first minutes of the game!

I would so absolutely NOT watch that and I won't.

Free country/world though.

Mostly.

(off topic note: my throat is still scratchy from screaming my head off that the Kings tied the Blackhawks with 9 seconds remaining...)

vilmer_

Don't do it man. Take a deep breath, it will be worth it in the end.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! I've got chills in my spine watching the first minutes of the game!
Glad I'm not the only one. No other game has ever done this to me. That is one of the reason why I want to buy it day one now. The first 15 minutes are definitely one of the best in gaming history in my opinion.

Top Bottom