• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Sendari

Neo Member
Taking a pause after the first hour of the game

just got to the part where I meet the girl, the games is grittyer than I thought it would be

I am not really used of the controls yet, not that it is bad, but more like I am more used of a kb+m.

Not sure how to reload yet :p

Taking a pause after the first hour of the game

just got to the part where I meet the girl, the games is grittyer than I thought it would be

I am not really used of the controls yet, not that it is bad, but more like I am more used of a kb+m.

Not sure how to reload yet :p

R1 when not aiming.

calder

Wtf just preordered it off PSN but there's no installer, it just has a (mediocre) theme. I was hoping it would let me at least start the download a couple of hours early, but I guess that won't be an option until midnight? And does it release at midnight in my timezone?

DatDude

Banned
I distinctly remember tetsuo comparing Tomb Raider to Resident Evil 4 in the OT for that game, so I always take those comparisons with a grain of salt.

Especially after seeing that very same person's comments in this thread.

I know.

But if anyone can do it, than it would be naughty dog.

Sendari

Neo Member
dont know if it's a spoiler or not so I will put it in spoiler code

One thing that I really love, is the stats of your game, really detailed, it's a really nice touch

delta25

Banned
No but it sounds your not expecting it to be. YOu sound very..well "un-hyped". An waiting for the game to prove you wrong.
Just based off your posts of course.

"The game tore itself apart as soon as it entered my arena"

Based on this comment alone proves that hype or a lack there-of has anything to do with him and his negativity thus far, this is something that has been prominent since the first game play reveal according to him, he clearly has no interest in this game what so ever.

I think its best we ignore him, he's clearly out to shit all over TLoU at any chance he gets.

My brothers opinion is very similar to mine, we always play coop games or watch eachother play singleplayer games. He has watched me play a lot of games in the past I can't remember one where we have had such a different opinion as TLOU. The game definitely feels like a marmite situation.

Is he playing it or watching you play?

The pacing in this game
untitled1o2yc04kjnd.gif
with a touch of sighing.

I distinctly remember tetsuo and Tricky I Shadow comparing Tomb Raider to Resident Evil 4 in the OT for that game, so I always take those comparisons with a grain of salt.

Especially after tetsuo's comments in this thread.
A guy like Tetsuo seems to be predisposed and wants to dislike the game and will cavil about anything just to show that "he's right" and everyone else is caught up in the hype. Yea right.

Tomb Raider is a great game but that doesn't compare to RE4. This game does in so many ways, you have to play it to see why I say it. It's like I just few a few hours in and I'm like, "This game feel like how I felt when I first played RE4 back on Gamecube." except it has the better feeling mechanics and the production values of a ND game.

No the 1st half is great.

But the 2nd half just takes it up even a notch higher.

According to impressions that is on GAF.

Eh, a lot of impressions also suggested Bioshock Infinite's intro was like the best ever, whereas I felt the game really didn't get going till almost the middle and then ramped up.

GQman2121

Banned
Well Best Buy fucked me late last night with their Survival Edition listing. I was preordered with Amazon, but cancelled to take advantage of Best Buy's $20 gift card deal on preorders. They emailed me to let me know it was a mistake and that my order was cancelled. It's of course out of stock at Amazon now too.

Just all around shitty. Best Buy basically said oh well when I tried to follow up.

Never. Again.

To update this post from a few days ago, Best Buy gave me a $50 credit over the phone about two hours ago to use towards the PS+ combo version of the game. It's not the Survival Edition that I was hoping for, but for less than $20 I'll take it.

DukeBobby

I distinctly remember tetsuo and Tricky I Shadow comparing Tomb Raider to Resident Evil 4 in the OT for that game, so I always take those comparisons with a grain of salt.

Especially after tetsuo's comments in this thread.

What? How? I-I...what?

How is that even possible?

antitrop

Eh, a lot of impressions also suggested Bioshock Infinite's intro was like the best ever, whereas I felt the game really didn't get going till almost the middle and then ramped up.

This is how Bioshock Infinite went for me.

X is time and Y is the amount of blood flowing to my penis.

SOnEmzVl.png

What? How? I-I...what?

How is that even possible?

The OT is still up in community, feel free to go back and look.

DukeBobby

On reflection, Bioshock Infinite was nowhere near as good as I originally thought it was.

The opening is still one of the best in gaming history, though.

DatDude

Banned

The intro was really great.

Though it slowed down a shit ton when you got into the Fink stage and had to do those fetch quest.

The intro to the game was very good but the people comparing it to God of War 3 and Bioshock Infinite's seem to be off the mark. Not to say it's not good AS those, more so that it's not anyway similar to them. This one just quickly gave you a glimpse of what the game could be about and then the game starts.

Oh and I hope ND makes a PS4 version of this game because the world and setting is done a disservice with the inconsistent IQ and framerate dips during the gameplay. Despite that the game is amazing so far and I ain't seen nothin' yet.

katkombat

Banned
This is how Bioshock Infinite went for me.

X is time and Y is the amount of blood flowing to my penis.

SOnEmzVl.png

The OT is still up in community, feel free to go back and look.

I remember people comparing the two as well. I thought it (Tomb Raider) was one of the best games in the genre. Flash to now, I can't remember anything about the game except the twist I saw coming from a mile away... :/

I still like it however.

antitrop

On reflection, Bioshock Infinite is nowhere near as good as I originally thought it was.

I think the story falls apart a bit upon inspection and a lot of the interesting ideas weren't properly capitalized on. Especially anything regarding the Vox Populi.

Bioshock Infinite is my game of the generation for the gameplay on top of the atmosphere, though.

Primarily the gameplay. I am aware of how out of the ordinary this opinion is, but I think Bioshock Infinite is one of the better FPSs of the generation on its gameplay mechanics alone. Add everything on top of that and you have my GOTG, or at least until this weekend.

Okay so I'm not sure if I've come across a bug or not.. Im in the area where Tess and Ellie are waiting on the level above me and there are three runners and one infected. I've killed the runners, but can't kill the infected so I can move on. I have the metal pole, but tapping square wont invoke the melee attack. Any ideas?

katkombat

Banned
I think the story falls apart a bit upon inspection and a lot of the interesting ideas weren't properly capitalized on. Especially anything regarding the Vox Populi.

Bioshock Infinite is my game of the generation for the gameplay on top of the atmosphere, though.

Primarily the gameplay. I am aware of how out of the ordinary this opinion is, but I think Bioshock Infinite is one of the best FPSs of the generation on its mechanics alone.

NOT SPEC OPS!?

Nah just kidding. Bioshock is up there with Uncharted 2 and about 10 others. This gen has been so good to me. <3
mainly with PS3 exclusives as well. (not being a fanboy)

EDIT: and I agree wholeheartedly with the gameplay standpoint. it was mechanically perfect IMO

I remember people comparing the two as well. I thought it (Tomb Raider) was one of the best games in the genre. Flash to now, I can't remember anything about the game except the twist I saw coming from a mile away... :/

I still like it however.

I loved Tomb Raider it was one of the games I played loads on the PS1 but the new one was just awful so many QTE's.

antitrop

On reflection, Bioshock Infinite was nowhere near as good as I originally thought it was.

In the last three months I have dropped my opinion of Bioshock Infinite from a 10 to a 9.5 upon reflection of the plot, but it still remains my pending Game of the Generation.

Primarily the gameplay. I am aware of how out of the ordinary this opinion is, but I think Bioshock Infinite is one of the better FPSs of the generation on its gameplay mechanics alone. Add everything on top of that and you have my GOTG, or at least until this weekend.

You. I like you.

Okay so I'm not sure if I've come across a bug or not.. Im in the area where Tess and Ellie are waiting on the level above me and there are three runners and one infected. I've killed the runners, but can't kill the infected so I can move on. I have the metal pole, but tapping square wont invoke the melee attack. Any ideas?

Find a bottle or try crafting a shiv?

katkombat

Banned
I loved Tomb Raider it was one of the games I played loads on the PS1 but the new one was just awful so many QTE's.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed TR 2013 a lot. It was great. I just can't remember anything about it now... it must've been a forgettable game (which goes against saying it was great, I know)

Agree with all of this, except I'm not sure if it'll even be in my top 5 this year :p

Lol it definitely is a bug. I let the clicker get close to me to see if it would invoke the triangle button, but he just swings his arms at me and doesn't hurt me at all while I just stand there next to him.... Dodgy!

antitrop

Agree with all of this, except I'm not sure if it'll even be in my top 5 this year :p
It's a silly prediction, but just for fun I could see my top 5 being something like this by the end of the year:

1. The Last of Us
2. Bioshock Infinite
3. Grand Theft Auto V
4. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (no fucking joke)
5. Tomb Raider

I'm not buying a next-gen console at launch, so I will not have the opportunity to play any of those launch exclusives.

Watch_Dogs may knock Tomb Raider out, but I'm honestly expecting only a slightly above average game for that one. Ubisoft usually disappoints me with open-world shit like Assassin's Creed and Far Cry 3.

Top Bottom