• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

stufte

To update this post from a few days ago, Best Buy gave me a $50 credit over the phone about two hours ago to use towards the PS+ combo version of the game. It's not the Survival Edition that I was hoping for, but for less than $20 I'll take it.

lol, I love how you blurred out your email address, but physical addy is there for all to see. You might want to... change that.

*edit* oh, durr. that's the best buy addy. I R DUM.

DukeBobby

It's a silly prediction, but just for fun I could see my top 5 being something like this by the end of the year:

1. The Last of Us
2. Bioshock Infinite
3. Grand Theft Auto V
4. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (no fucking joke)
5. Tomb Raider

I'm not buying a next-gen console at launch, so I will not have the opportunity to play any of those launch exclusives.

Great list. My prediction:

1. The Last of Us
2. Grand Theft Auto V
3. Watch_Dogs
4. Bioshock Infinite (Despite what I said, I still think it's a very, very good game)
5. Beyond: Two Souls

EDIT: Shit, how did I forget about Metro? I'd put it third, and knock Beyond off the list.

Am I the only one that thinks the new Tomb Raider was downright awful?

Not awful, but my opinion on it soured really quickly. After completing it, I gave it a 9. Now, a few months later, I'd probably give it a 6 or so.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If there ever was an example of a current generation game with fantastic art direction, but so goddamn dense and busy with assets and textures that 720p with dick all texture filtering do more harm than good, this would be it. Coupled with the spotty framerate, The Last of Us is begging for a PS4 port.

SRTtoZ

Bioshock Infinite was made by 3 things.

1) Elizabeth
2) Beginning
3) End.

Everything in between was okay.

Back onto point! Cant wait for the midnight people to start giving more impressions.

Tunic

So excited to get my copy tomorrow. First I must get through a day of work but I'll have the weekend to play. Hopefully works goes by fast.

If there ever was an example of a current generation game with fantastic art direction, but so goddamn dense and busy with assets and textures that 720p with dick all texture filtering do more harm than good, this would be it. Coupled with the spotty framerate, The Last of Us is begging for a PS4 port.

From what I've read, is that it has a pretty solid 30 fps. Which from a console this old, seems like a damn blessing. Also, I wish Sony would let some of their games come to the PC. Seeing TLOU in 1080p with some cool mods, would blow my mind bone.

DukeBobby

Could not have put it better myself. A beautiful game, let down by the limitations of dated hardware.

Pandemic

Just picked up my copy, also pre-ordered GTA V special edition. In return, I was stuck in traffic for 2 hours because someone committed suicide beside the road....

SoulClap

I'm totally down for PS4 remakes. 1080p/60 FPS titles with a less craptacular AA methods would make my day.

Umi88

Wasn't the psn version meant to be playable as soon as it hits 50% for the download? :(

z0CWnCV.jpg

Seems like i'll need to wait more ;_;

Adr1an

Got my shipment email from BB. Should be here tomorrow. Sadly I work all weekend and won't have time to play it till Monday.

It's a silly prediction, but just for fun I could see my top 5 being something like this by the end of the year:

1. The Last of Us
2. Bioshock Infinite
3. Grand Theft Auto V
4. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (no fucking joke)
5. Tomb Raider

I'm not buying a next-gen console at launch, so I will not have the opportunity to play any of those launch exclusives.

Watch_Dogs may knock Tomb Raider out, but I'm honestly expecting only a slightly above average game for that one. Ubisoft usually disappoints me with open-world shit like Assassin's Creed and Far Cry 3.

In my eyes, it'll be this:

- The Last of Us
- BioShock Infinite
- Beyond: Two Souls
- Tomb Raider
- One of the following: Grand Theft Auto V or Watch Dogs.

My game actually arrived today (from Amazon) - was pretty surprising that it came a day earlier than the release date, lol.

Anyways, I'm enjoying it so far. Maybe it's because I've been playing nothing but PC games recently, but the framerate in some areas was a little disappointing. I mean, it's fine, but it's definitely not 30 fps all the time. Kind of reminds me of Uncharted 3 which also had some framerate drops at times.

Fjordson

Played the first two hours this morning. Opening is brutal. Darker than I though it would be.

Writing and atmosphere is top notch. Infinitely more appealing to me than Uncharted.

Combat is good, also much better than Uncharted, though I need to get used to it. Not all that difficult for you to get overwhelmed with limited ammo. Can't just rush in without caution.

Phionoxx

sure it has been asked countless times, but do we know if the PSN / digital download edition unlocks at 1200 based on a specified timezone, or is it rolling and unique to each region?

antitrop

Thinking back, it's been about ~10 months or so since I've played a really dark, depressing game like The Walking Dead and Spec Ops.

It's really something that I need right now, The Last of Us is going to scratch a proper itch like a boot to the head.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have 2 questions:

- To download game from PSN, do I have to wait until midnight in my time zone or in some other time zone? I'm in EST, so midnight is in few minutes.
- In Canada, is it only EB games that sells two special editions of the game?

Umi88

Can you report back to us about how the download/installation works? And confirm what Krappadizzle said about playable at 65%

sure.

You download "the game's client" ( around 170MB). Then you launch it, got to choice a language and it starts to download the game itself.

The client got unlocked for me at midnight GMT.

As for the playable thing, i'll confirm when its playable, will take a while.. 54,4% and not playable ath the moment

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Bwahaha, I just started PS Store, went to TLOU page, and saw a big DOWNLOAD button, with what I assumed was the 1.5MB downloader for the game. A click later, I had a 1.5MB static theme download to my PS3 and a sad look on my face.

Well, one more minute till midnight!

sure.

You download "the game's client" ( around 170MB). Then you launch it, got to choice a language and it starts to download the game itself.

The client got unlocked for me at midnight GMT.

As for the playable thing, i'll confirm when its playable, will take a while.. 54,4% and not playable ath the moment

Im not sure why people got the digital pre order? I mean living in the UK means we get pretty competitive prices. Preordering physical pretty much guarantees you get the game early now.

Fjordson

Soundtrack is great by the way. It's use in game is perfect. On point, but never overbearing. Never shatters the dark atmosphere. And the twangy guitars are awesome.

Soundtrack is great by the way. It's use in game is perfect. On point, but never overbearing. Never shatters the dark atmosphere. And the twangy guitars are awesome.

On that that point I don't know if its just me but the menu sounds sound EXACTLY like something out of Resident Evil or Silent Hill.

Jeramii

Banned
I'm waiting at the Redbox machine right now hoping its available at midnight, wish me luck

yeah.... I doubt you're going to have much success with that.

Truthfully, your best bet is to just go home and keep refreshing http://www.redbox.com/games/last-of-us-ps3 and when it's actually available to rent, you can reserve it to pick up from your computer.

I always assumed Redbox didn't actually stock the movies until an employee loaded them up on the day of release.

edit:

Maybe you have a chance since DTLIONS1013 had success. That's good. :)

Wait, how are people already downloading TLoU? Is it up on the store?

PSN in Asia allows pre-loading according to a bunch of blog posts I read.

Got mine from Redbox!!! Was up at 12:02

yeah.... I doubt you're going to have much success with that.

Truthfully, your best bet is to just go home and keep refreshing http://www.redbox.com/games/last-of-us-ps3 and when it's actually available to rent, you can reserve it to pick up from your computer.

I always assumed Redbox didn't actually stock the movies until an employee loaded them up on the day of release.

edit:

Maybe you have a chance since DTLIONS1013 had success. That's good. :)

urm

Chris_C

Just got my copy (steel case) from the local game store, a little bummed the Pulse headset profile isn't available yet. Diving in now!

Top Bottom