• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

DatDude

Banned
I was going on what you were saying, that isn't the point though. The point is you come into a game like TLOU not for the gameplay or the graphics you come for the atmosphere, adventure and the story. So far TLOU has one of those things right and thats the adventure everything else falls by the wayside.

I'm against giving 10/10's non stop its the top of the paradigm that shouldn't be given but to be strived for. The fact a games so seemingly mediocre as TLOU is supposed to be perfect is ludicrous. It isn't even the fact 'the game just isn't for me' that doesn't make sense in my case. The apocalypse is a favoured theme of mine but TLOU just gets it wrong.

I like the voice acting and I like the melee but thats it the rest is mediocre. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but no game is perfect and TLOU certainly isn't perfect nor is it anywhere close.

Do you really care that reviewers gave this game a 10/10

Sounds to me like your playing this game like a reviewer.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
LMAO

Nice little easter egg I just found. (Found it a while ago but am just talking about it now) . Spoilers about a cutscene as well.

When you are in that church environment, about to go look for the truck for the truck with Bill. If you search around where Ellie is standing and looking at stuff - You come across a gay magazine that belongs to Bill. Funny because Bill was insisting that Ellie not touch anything. Never thought much of it at first, but then afterwards in the cutscene after you get into the truck, Ellie starts flipping through that same magazine and makes jokes about it. Awesome that such a little easter egg would get its own cutscene like that.

Little details like that, I love em.

Makes looking around for stuff very worthwhile.

I can't remember what the line was but there was a specific one that made me say "Wait what?" due to the tone and delivery. It was clearly a woman delivering that line, not a girl. Pulled me out of it but that only happened once so far.

It first really bothered me at a part where *barely spoilers*
Ellie breaks a Vase and says Shit! Sorry that was me! not in a young girls voice but clearly in a woman's voice.

The point is you come into a game like TLOU not for the gameplay or the graphics you come for the atmosphere, adventure and the story.

Actually I came to TLOU for all of those things. Gameplay, graphics, atmosphere, exploration, story. And with this game, I'm especially anticipating the gameplay

I'm curious. What games do you prefer and what platform do you usually play on?

Me too. I'm wondering when the installer is supposed to uhm....unlock?

talked with a sony rep and he said it might have been a glitch and that's why some people didn't get the installer. recommend to wait until the game is officially out and to check the store at midnight and see if it's been update with any new info.

matellis

Neo Member
I have no way to the store tomorrow, so I am thinking about just downloading it. If so will the game unlock at midnight tonight my time??

DatDude

Banned
LMAO

Nice little easter egg I just found. (Found it a while ago but am just talking about it now) . Spoilers about a cutscene as well.

When you are in that church environment, about to go look for the truck for the truck with Bill. If you search around where Ellie is standing and looking at stuff - You come across a gay magazine that belongs to Bill. Funny because Bill was insisting that Ellie not touch anything. Never thought much of it at first, but then afterwards in the cutscene after you get into the truck, Ellie starts flipping through that same magazine and makes jokes about it. Awesome that such a little easter egg would get its own cutscene like that.

So I take it Bill is
gay?

Do you really care that reviewers gave this game a 10/10

Sounds to me like your playing this game like a reviewer.

I think its impossible to play a game and not form some sort of opinion on it and thats what a reviewer does so in that case yes I am. The fact of the matter is I came into this game completely blind I watched that first E3 trailer that was it. I played it and got bored quick. I mention though SO FAR, I want it to get better and I will continue to play it but so far the game is poor and my honest expectation is that it wont get better.

The point is you come into a game like TLOU not for the gameplay or the graphics you come for the atmosphere, adventure and the story. So far TLOU has one of those things right and thats the adventure everything else falls by the wayside.
Actually I came to TLOU for all of those things. Gameplay, graphics, atmosphere, exploration, and story.

I'm curious. What other games do you prefer and what system do you usually play on?

Well I play on PC mainly and I am more of a stay for the story kind of gamer with the exception that I play loads of RTS' and grand strategy type games. Thing is TLOU honestly seems exactly like the game I would enjoy (bar it being on a console), it has a lot of the themes I enjoy but it just doesn't deliver on them. Whereas I would say the Metro series does. PC hardware in general is a hobby of mine and I enjoy pushing it to the limit and I always make my games look as good as possible at 60fps 1440p at least and TLOU honestly looks horrible. Graphics aren't a massive thing for me but there is a limit. TLOU has this weird grain effect that makes the game look really horrible.

The thing I find most odd is that I dont get FOV sickness though I do enjoy at least a 90 degree FOV. It is so weird that the first time I feel a bit sick while playing would be a TPS. I think its a combination of the weird filter and motion blur that contribute to that.

LMAO

I wanted to talk about that for ages (well, not really, it felt like ages though)

Bill is the first non-stereotyped gay character in a videogame

LMAO

It was touches like that make this game memorable. I was like "hmm, maybe", then they continue to making subtle references without explaining to people straight up.

I was also wondering if
Shambalas DVD (haha, uncharted reference) was a titillating piece of media for Bill, as well.

DatDude

Banned
I think its impossible to play a game and not form some sort of opinion on it and thats what a reviewer does so in that case yes I am. The fact of the matter is I came into this game completely blind I watched that first E3 trailer that was it. I played it and got bored quick. I mention though SO FAR, I want it to get better and I will continue to play it but so far the game is poor and my honest expectation is that it wont get better.

Most GAF impressions say the 2nd half is the highest point of this game.

DrBo42

So I take it
Bill is gay?

Very, but still is presented as a semi-normal dude just trying to survive. The lack of some sort of stereotype is cool.

Edit: Another thing I'm kinda upset by is the game's focus on you looking at the ground. I'm not sure why so many action games this generation have to include some mechanic (Batman detective mode) or player trained behavior to completely miss the beautiful world you're walking through. While you're playing this constantly looking for an item to get the upper hand in a situation you're in or about to be in, remember to look up every once in a while. Stop and take in the sights, as jaggy as they may be, they're quite beautiful at times.

Well I play on PC mainly and I am more of a stay for the story kind of gamer with the exception that I play loads of RTS' and grand strategy type games. Thing is TLOU honestly seems exactly like the game I would enjoy (bar it being on a console), it has a lot of the themes I enjoy but it just doesn't deliver on them. Whereas I would say the Metro series does. PC hardware in general is a hobby of mine and I enjoy pushing it to the limit and I always make my games look as good as possible at 60fps 1440p at least and TLOU honestly looks horrible. Graphics aren't a massive thing for me but there is a limit. TLOU has this weird grain effect that makes the game look really horrible.

The thing I find most odd is that I dont get FOV sickness though I do enjoy at least a 90 degree FOV. It is so weird that the first time I feel a bit sick while playing would be a TPS. I think its a combination of the weird filter and motion blur that contribute to that.
Did you play The Walking Dead? Exceptional story, apocalyptic theme...

I really want to have a discussion with you about the game because you seem honest about your opinions (rather than trolling) but I haven't played the game yet so anything I say is just hearsay and guessing. Tomorrow and the weekend, I can go in more depth about TLOU

talked with a sony rep and he said it might have been a glitch and that's why some people didn't get the installer. recommend to wait until the game is officially out and to check the store at midnight and see if it's been update with any new info.

That's strange. Have you tried deleting it and going back to the store? The theme that is. I haven't yet, I was wondering if it was even worth doing.

Stuart444

Any tips to kill these damned
bloaters (I'm in the hotel just now and just turned on the generator)
? They seem damned overpowered with the amount of shots to kill them and their instant death kills
(and ranged attacks)

Doesn't help that there is so many other normal infected coming at me either.

I had to back up an extra 3-4 feet to continue playing. Everything looks more pretty, too.

? They seem damned overpowered with the amount of shots to kill them and their instant death kills
(and ranged attacks)

Prep the keycard and get ready to run to the door! Or you can continue to run away from it. Kiting is super effective. The runners also exist before the generator. LAter on you meet bloaters again in settled environments, and you can easily lure them with a bottle and throw a bunch of mollies and nail bombs at them. Super easy.

Moozo

I'm either absolutely dreadful at this game, doing it wrong or it's just difficult. I'm only on medium but it's skin of my teeth stuff every time I come up against infected. What's the technique? Half stealth then all guns blazing, or what?

Also I'm really bad at sneaking because the ai is so unpredictable

mackaveli

(and ranged attacks)

I ran away from the bloater and killed all runners first etc., so it's 1 on 1. I then used all grenades (forget their names but the nail and fire one) then use all bullets lol. I don't even think you need to kill him to get the key to the locked door. It's on a desk in a room but I forget which one. I'm not positive on this.

edit - Also when you turn on the generator I go up the ramp to the top and go against the corner. So you are standing on the top of the ramp. There's a doorway to teh right. Two runners should come by kill them first. Then the bloater should appear. And then just kite him.

DrBo42

I'm either absolutely dreadful at this game, doing it wrong or it's just difficult. I'm only on medium but it's skin of my teeth stuff every time I come up against infected. What's the technique? Half stealth then all guns blazing, or what?

The infected? LOL. You're fucked when humans show up.

I'm not saying this in any snide kind of way but, I think that's kind of the point.

Did you play The Walking Dead? Exceptional story, apocalyptic theme...

I really want to have a discussion with you about the game because you seem honest about your opinions (rather than trolling) but I haven't played the game yet so anything I say is just hearsay and guessing. Tomorrow and the weekend, I can go in more depth about TLOU

Sadly no I wish I knew how good it was before I watched a playthrough on YouTube (this was before everyone was raving about it as well). I thought it would be like the TV show so I avoided it and watched it in my spare time. It was great though, I enjoyed it. It was the first real zombie game where I feel the characters act like actual people (mostly).

Well Ill be here so ill gladly discuss it with you. Im honestly interested to see if anyone else agrees with me. Not even my brother agrees with me and we like pretty much the exact same games :p

I think that tension, skin of your teeth survival, is how it's meant to be. It's not you

smr00

Banned

Bump it down to easy/very easy?

DrBo42

The infected are a joke unless you get swarmed. Even then you can just sprint away. When you learn how much shit you can get away with in this game, the combat is far too simple.

Stuart444

Thanks for the tips guys, I didn't think about running before (seriously, the amount of infected at that point) but this time, I took a look at my route,
generator -> ramp -> door
and got through it no problem.

Beowulf28

Most GAF impressions say the 2nd half is the highest point of this game.

If you have to "push through" to get to the enjoyable parts of a game is it really worth it? Not say TLOU is gonna be shit (gonna pick it up at midnight myself) but if a game fails to impress me half way into it I'll probably won't finish it or just return it.

Sadly no I wish I knew how good it was before I watched a playthrough on YouTube (this was before everyone was raving about it as well). I thought it would be like the TV show so I avoided it and watched it in my spare time. It was great though, I enjoyed it. It was the first real zombie game where I feel the characters act like actual people (mostly).

Well Ill be here so ill gladly discuss it with you. Im honestly interested to see if anyone else agrees with me. Not even my brother agrees with me and we like pretty much the exact same games :p
Or maybe you're Tom Chick's and Philip Kollar's long lost relative? They seem to share your opinions

Thanks for the tips guys, I didn't think about running before (seriously, the amount of infected at that point) but this time, I took a look at my route,
generator -> ramp -> door
and got through it no problem.
Running like hell is actually one of their tips in-game. I was like, huh, and took their advice. The sacrifice there is
that you may miss resources, hidden stuff, or collectibles if it's on the spur of the moment.

edit: The tension of
opening that door with a keycard and then opeing it slowly as a bloater reaches towards you slowly is fantastic.

DatDude

Banned
If you have to "push through" to get to the enjoyable parts of a game is it really worth it? Not say TLOU is gonna be shit (gonna pick it up at midnight myself) but if a game fails to impress me half way into it I'll probably won't finish it or just return it.

No the 1st half is great.

But the 2nd half just takes it up even a notch higher.

According to impressions that is on GAF.

antitrop

Running like hell is actually one of their tips in-game.

CJ24lKy.png

From what I understand, it's not the first half isnt good. It's that the game has a slow burn narrative. Building up in a subdued and subtle fashion before erupting in some kind of climax in the second half and then keeping the pedal to the metal. Nothing wrong with that, just different

Or maybe you're Tom Chick's and Philip Kollar's long lost relative? They seem to share your opinions

I've never really read their reviews though we certainly seem to agree on this one :p

I honestly the past year have found it hard to enjoy games because of my depression I find it hard to enjoy anything really so when something gets me play for more than an hour or two I know its special. Infinite and Crusader Kings 2 were the latest examples of this.

Thats just a disclaimer though on my part :p

DatDude

Banned
I've never really read their reviews though we certainly seem to agree on this one :p

I honestly the past year have found it hard to enjoy games because of my depression I find it hard to enjoy anything really so when something gets me play for more than an hour or two I know its special. Infinite and Crusader Kings 2 were the latest examples of this.

Thats just a disclaimer though on my part :p

Well most here have said that the beginning 4-6 hours are very slow, and really attempt to introduce you to the world in a slow methodical fashion.

It's a build up.

Your bro doesn't agree with you about TLOU? I'm interested to see how I feel about narrative. I'm a little sick of post apolocalyptic zombie like stuff so plot and characters it will have to work a little extra to pull me in. I'm mainly in it for stealth gameplay. Hope I'm not disappointed.

Filth

i havent used my ps3 in a while and my system is updating. i noticed all 3 of my ps3 controllers the analog sticks are sticky and no matter what i do i cant get it off. any idea how i can fix this issue? it really makes playing a game uncomfortable.

Well most here have said that the beginning 4-6 hours are very slow, and really attempt to introduce you to the world in a slow methodical fashion.

It's a build up.
So the game is 15 to 20hrs and the first 4-6 hours is the "slow" section?

That implies to me that the game narrative is split into some kind of three act design. The first part is the beginning, the second is when the pieces begin to fall into place and the climax occurs, the final part is the head-long rush to the finale.

Everything I've read on 'Gaf points to that kind of plot structure

It's a build up.

I know don't worry I will finish it and I will come back with full impressions. My current thoughts are more of a WTF by Totalbiscuit rather than a bonafide review type deal.

DukeBobby

The one thing that bugs me is that using listen mode takes you out of crouch mode. Been caught a few times because of this.

EDIT: Not during listen mode, I mean after using it.

Your bro doesn't agree with you about TLOU? I'm interested to see how I feel about narrative. I'm a little sick of post apolocalyptic zombie like stuff so plot and characters it will have to work a little extra to pull me in. I'm mainly in it for stealth gameplay. Hope I'm not disappointed.

My brothers opinion is very similar to mine, we always play coop games or watch eachother play singleplayer games. He has watched me play a lot of games in the past I can't remember one where we have had such a different opinion as TLOU. The game definitely feels like a marmite situation.

Top Bottom