• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

vladdamad

Are there any trophies for playing the game with listen mode off?

Also, it probably serves me right for choosing standard delivery on Amazon, but my estimated delivery time is has now been extended from the 17th to the 20th :( Ah well, there have been times when Amazon has been way off with their delivery estimates, so hopefully i'll get the game earlier than expected

Stillmatic

Just inserted it. What's the best way to play this GAF?

Listen Mode off of course, but...

Normal/Hard
Tips on/off
Hints on/off
Speakers are pretty shitty, so headphones?

I don't know what 'show tag popups' are, leave them on?

Well, I can usually download games in the background and the continue playing something else while it downloads, there is no background option for me, so I am not sure it is the same....

How long do you have left?

I'm at 39% with 1 hour 8 minutes left. So a little after midnight for me I should be good to play. It really is a midnight launch. Though, the way I figure it, if I were to get in my car, drive down to gamestop, wait in line, get it at midnight, get back it'd easily be 1245 at the soonest. So it's a win for me.

Just inserted it. What's the best way to play this GAF?

Listen Mode off of course, but...

Normal/Hard
Tips on/off
Hints on/off
Speakers are pretty shitty, so headphones?

I don't know what 'show tag popups' are, leave them on?

Personally, for me I'm going:

Hard
Listen Mode off.
Tips Off
Hints on.

My reasoning for leaving hints on, is that I'd hate to miss a gameplay mechanic because the game never properly explained it to me. Unless, it's in the instruction manual.

Pranay

*make stealth game*
*code AI to find and become alert over bodies*
*impossible to move bodies*

THE LAST OF US

Makes the game more challenging for me though lol.

Killing them at the right place.
Killing other before they notice it or moving away before they find it.

Stillmatic

Personally, for me I'm going:

Hard
Listen Mode off.
Tips Off
Hints on.

My reasoning for leaving hints on, is that I'd hate to miss a gameplay mechanic because the game never properly explained it to me. Unless, it's in the instruction manual.

Cheers, that sounds good to me so I'll go with that. :)

I'm going in.

Hamlet

About 2 hours into it and its great so far and man does this game get intense (fumbling with weapons/running out of ammo as i'm getting attacked )

Cheska

Makes the game more challenging for me though lol.

Killing them at the right place.
Killing other before they notice it or moving away before they find it.

I generally dislike stealth segments in games but I'm having a blast trying to conserve ammo and finding new ways for take downs. Granted, I haven't progressed that far.

MFPSN

Neo Member
I'm at 39% with 1 hour 8 minutes left. So a little after midnight for me I should be good to play. It really is a midnight launch. Though, the way I figure it, if I were to get in my car, drive down to gamestop, wait in line, get it at midnight, get back it'd easily be 1245 at the soonest. So it's a win for me.

Well that worked out well for ya. :) If mine is on track, it should be a bit after 5am for me. Don't know if I can make it. I will try and stay up to at least see it finished.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
The acting is fucking tremendous in this game. Of course, it's helped by the incredible writing and animations; the overall package is just sublime.

It's 5:30am and I've been playing for five hours. Didn't even realize time flew like that. Shit.

Game is terrific. It's so tense. The world is so detailed that it's hard to really appreciate it all the first time through.

leng jai

I hate to be a debbie downer but I am just really not enjoying it so far, however i'm only about 3 hours in. Maybe I just don't like the genre, maybe I was overhyped. I'll pick it back up tomorrow.

Nothing wrong with that. This is definitely a niche title due to the pacing.

Hanmik

I just stuck a cable into my PS3 and downloaded the game rather quickly. It was very convenient. Also, having no disc noise is something I'm very happy about. Uncharted 2's continuous disc loading was very subtle, but I don't know how ND managed on TLOU.

TLOU makes alot of noise with the disc in.. it streams all the time, there is only a load screen at the start of the game..

Bollocks

Played it last night for 4 hours and it is a little bit repetitive/boring, though still a great game and I couldn't put it down for 4h straight but so far gameplaywise it overstayed its welcome.
Hope it spices things up when I continue.

Stampy

It's so tense. The world is so detailed that it's hard to really appreciate it all the first time through.

I think many people will find how this game slowly grows. I didn't feel so imeresed in the first 2 hours, but then slowly every section made me feel more involved and appreciative of the world they built.

Mogwai

There's always one. Or two.

40 more minutes. I can't wait. It's strange with this downloader though. 51% with 40 minutes left. This game is the first one on the PS3 that let's you play it while you download it right?

I haven't seen it before. I'm gladly ND are pushing this specific method for DD. It'll probably become rather common on the PS4.

You will be able to start the game around 67-68%.

Sheroking

I haven't seen it before. I'm gladly ND are pushing this specific method for DD. It'll probably become rather common on the PS4.

You will be able to start the game around 67-68%.

I'm pretty sure it's specifically designed so that every large download can be played before it's completed.

Pretty cool. 35 minutes left for me.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
There's always one. Or two.

40 more minutes. I can't wait. It's strange with this downloader though. 51% with 40 minutes left. This game is the first one on the PS3 that let's you play it while you download it right?

It's fine, but people were getting al ittle too excited. After the intro, the game starts very slowly.

Solidino

get my copy yesterday

the game is absolutley wonderfull and stunning

JZ5XA.gif

thanks "Cagnacci" (italian term for Naughty Dogs)

DatDude

Banned
It's fine, but people were getting al ittle too excited. After the intro, the game starts very slowly.

I truly don't understand why you want to play this game.

It's obvious you don't WANT to play it. Honestly, it's as if someone made you play this game as a bet.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
this intro / beginning section is one of the best ever

This is what I'm talking about lol. How is it one of the best ever? Please, enlighten me.

I truly don't understand why you want to play this game.

It's obvious you don't WANT to play it. Honestly, it's as if someone made you play this game as a bet.

I said it's fine. I have played a lot of games that were just fine. Anyway, I've only played like a couple hours.

Listening to "Please Mr. Postman" didn't help. It seems I am out of luck and my copy will arrive on monday. I did not plan for this case to happen and now every other game I could play is "meh".

At the moment this is my game of the generation along with Uncharted 2. Game mechanics are a step forward from previous Naughty Dog games. Stealth is the best and most intuitive stealth system i have ever played. And shooting feels sooooo satisfying this time...

Dr Dogg

I get the feeling the chaps at Naughty Dog were channeling The Wizard of Oz, to the point you could start a new trope called 'The Yellow Ledge' in the vain of all red barrels explode, all yellow ledges are climbable (also in every Uncharted as well). Seeing as I'm getting turned around whilst on the rob for materials it's dead handy to just look for something yellow and I'm on track again.

vladdamad

All this talk of the 'slow-burn' start is getting me even more hyped. So many games these days are all about shoving set-piece after set-piece in your face - that's not how narrative in games should work imo, unless all you're aming for is pure action. I think I'm really going to love ND's approach here, can't wait to see how it turns out

DatDude

Banned
I said it's fine. I have played a lot of games that were just fine. Anyway, I've only played like a couple hours.

No, it's not about that. Based off your other posts, it seems like you don't want to play this game. You think it's a "wall high AAA cover shooter"

Again, why are you getting this game?

hlhbk

Thatta boy. :)

You and me both my friend, you and me both.

:D Game on! I never pull being up for 24 hours anymore unless its for work. I have been up since Noon yesterday and plan to keep going until I crash! :D

To verify I should be able to just pick off where my last save was at when I get the survival edition right? Nothing in that package should make me start over?

Footos22

I hate to be a debbie downer but I am just really not enjoying it so far, however i'm only about 3 hours in. Maybe I just don't like the genre, maybe I was overhyped. I'll pick it back up tomorrow.

Played up until you meet Ellie, Then it was ridiculously late and i fell asleep :(

The intro was amazing, Really tense.
Everything else up until that point has been pretty slow going as expected. Love the graphics though. Blew me away when stepped out into the daylight for the first time. Even after all the amazing shit we have seen this week.

dermann

Banned
This is what I'm talking about lol. How is it one of the best ever? Please, enlighten me.

its so intense. and since i havent watch or read anything about the game before everything was new for me. Had no idea what is going to happen. the graphic is superb. once you got the control i thought : what!?

than the scene with the daughter...

i really really enjoyed it!!!!!

its only my opinion

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
No, it's not about that. Based off your other posts, it seems like you don't want to play this game. You think it's a "wall high AAA cover shooter"

Again, why are you getting this game?

I love chest high wall AAA corridor shooters

My Joel Edition just arrived. Tesco didn't even send me an email confirming its dispatch, but whatever... WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOJNGIJGBNDJIFDNSGFIDBNGO!!!!111!

This is a moment to cherish. It's not often you get to play a brand spanking new Naughty Dog game. See you all on the other side folks.

OwlyKnees

I am not that person.

However, for me, the intro
was the only triple-A game I've played that provided an emotion of utter hopelessness and sadness.
I find it difficult to take a lot of big-budget games seriously, but that section was meticulously calculated to provide the feedback I listed above and it was highly, highly impressive.

:D Game on! I never pull being up for 24 hours anymore unless its for work. I have been up since Noon yesterday and plan to keep going until I crash! :D

To verify I should be able to just pick off where my last save was at when I get the survival edition right? Nothing in that package should make me start over?

tumblr_mik111gUcv1qhfjjuo6_r2_250.gif

I can't see why your saves would conflict. It'd be news to me. I'd wager your good.

ryz

Game is terrific. It's so tense. The world is so detailed that it's hard to really appreciate it all the first time through.

Exactly my thoughts. I've finished the game and although i did explore A LOT, i still feel I've overlooked so much. It's so detailed it's ridiculous (in a very good way)

At the moment this is my game of the generation along with Uncharted 2. Game mechanics are a step forward from previous Naughty Dog games. Stealth is the best and most intuitive stealth system i have ever played. And shooting feels sooooo satisfying this time...

Yeah, the guns sound and feel amazing. I can't wait to get into the multiplayer if the combat's as enjoyable as in the campaign.

Also, best voice acting ever in a game? Easily.

dermann

Banned
i have played for around 5 hours and got only 20% of the game.
why?

because i explore every square of this lovely world nd created.
i try to listen to every dialog and look at every poster graffiti etc.
and of course i try to get never spotted (playing on hard)
once i got spotted i reload

watching me playing would be very boring i guess :)

but i like it

Top Bottom