• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Cheska

There was literally nothing spoiled besides me being sensitive about something. I didn't specify anything that happens or what it involves.

Some of you are clearly over dramatic about spoilers.

DJ88

Hmmm, sitting here at home, contemplating if I should download the game and just wait the few hours here at home, or drive to the 24 hour Walmart that's like 30 min away and pick it up. Decisions decisions.

I think I would have preferred the regular download management screen that you can keep track of through the xmb rather than this game specific one.

Maybe a dumb question but will it keep going if I click 'quit game' or do you literally need to stay on that screen for it to keep downloading?

I know it'll download quicker if I'm not doing anything else but it would still feel pretty restrictive if that was the case.

I guess I could switch over to my 360 in the meantime if I want to do anything game related... Probably wouldn't matter if it was downloading in a matter of hours but with my hella slow internets I don't really want to be stuck on the same screen for a whole day haha

hlhbk

So I am in a delima guys and want your opinion on what you would do. I have the survival edition being delievered tomorrow from Amazon. My deliveries from UPS usually happen around 6 PM at night. I took off this week for E3 and TLOU. I have checked my local red boxes online and like every redbox around me as it in stock.

I can literally go less than a mile away and pick up the game to have it to play in the morning. In your opinion is it worth spending the gas money and the $2 to be able to play the game during the day while I am waiting for the delivery?

So now that there's a spoiler thread, what do we discuss here? Obviously the spoiler thread is for plot discussion, so the OT is for...what, game sales, general tips, etc.?

Multiplayer is fucking ace, would recommended if you have a buddy to talk to on a mic. So much fun coordinating and flanking people while constructing then throwing a bomb to get them out of a hole like a rat.

So I am in a delima guys and want your opinion on what you would do. I have the survival edition being delievered tomorrow from Amazon. My deliveries from UPS usually happen around 6 PM at night. I took off this week for E3 and TLOU. I have checked my local red boxes online and like every redbox around me as it in stock.

I can literally go less than a mile away and pick up the game to have it to play in the morning. In your opinion is it worth spending the gas money and the $2 to be able to play the game during the day while I am waiting for the delivery?

If it was me I'd go redbox it. Gives you an excuse to return it after the other one has been delivered to get snacks and stock up on redbulls.

Cheska

But let's say I'm two hours in and I want to talk about the beginning or a particular section without spoiling the whole game.

Honestly, the way I think of spoilers is if I want to actually specify what's happening I would just use the spoiler block which is the [ spoiler ] SPOILER [/ spoiler ] (without the spaces of course).

Stampy

This game has such high production value which makes little annoyances easier to spot, because everything else is so good. There are some things that break the immersion, but when I compare this game to all the other games there are on the market, it is not even fair to criticize. I can’t wait to get home from work and play it more today. I am currently 6hours in.

I'm stuck wondering if I should just buy on PSN and then sell my Joel edition when it arrives (still not dispatched) or wait it out and keep the physical copy and play that instead.

AI is a little disappointing. Here is one instance which I posted elsewhere.

AI seems questionable. In one instance I was sneaky around a ******* yard trying to get the jump on the enemies and I was getting close. Then my sidekick just runs straight up to me to catch up. She was standing in plain sight and actually ran (read: clipped) through the enemy to get to my position. Neither NPC or enemy reacted to being close. Kinda took away the atmosphere of that section, but thankfully that was soon forgotten.

Wait, even State of Decay doesn't do this. If your ally in that game gets out of crouch, then they'll be attacked and you'll be spotted too. If that's an actual design decision for AI not to react to the ally in this game, that is awfully dumb.

*make stealth game*
*code AI to find and become alert over bodies*
*impossible to move bodies*

THE LAST OF US

Weird decision there, too.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wait, even State of Decay doesn't do this. If your ally in that game gets out of crouch, then they'll be attacked and you'll be spotted too. If that's an actual design decision for AI not to react to the ally in this game, that is awfully dumb.

Yeah, that's how it works. Even in the demo I had a moment where Ellie ran past a clicker and then back at Joel, then past the clicker again. Ignored completely.

Mogwai

I'm stuck wondering if I should just buy on PSN and then sell my Joel edition when it arrives (still not dispatched) or wait it out and keep the physical copy and play that instead.

I just stuck a cable into my PS3 and downloaded the game rather quickly. It was very convenient. Also, having no disc noise is something I'm very happy about. Uncharted 2's continuous disc loading was very subtle, but I don't know how ND managed on TLOU.

I dunno, in a game like this though, it'd be super frustrating to constantly be discovered be A.I. especially with such limited ammo and what not. SoD gives you a ton of ammo, health, and cars that let you get away. This one seems to be a more linear experience. I think it was a better decision not to have the A.I. react to Ellie.

Man, why is everywhere on the High Street selling it for £42.99.

GAME, for example, why do they feel they should ring out that extra £3. I know it's not a lot, but it makes a difference. I'd rather not get it on launch day than pay that £3 to such a horrible place. It's £39.99 on PSN. It's £39.99 on Game.co.uk. The dude told me a few days ago it would be £39.99 - and yet no, it's £42.99.

At least Argos has it for £39.99.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Omg at the beginning. Whhhhhhyyyy :(
Guys, you have to be even more careful than this with spoilers, please :(
I'm pretty sure that just based on seeing this, and seeing some TV ad for the game, I was able to piece together exactly what the comment is about...

I don't see what's weird about it. It would be stupidly frustrating being discovered entirely not by your mistake, and over something you have no control over. It's a decision that shows they were actually thinking about gameplay and not just doing what's obvious.

Yesterday I watched I am legend. 2 days ago was Children of Men, right now it's Book of Eli. By the time BoE finishes my download should be complete and my poopsockin' can begin.

Guys, you have to be even more careful than this with spoilers, please :(
I'm pretty sure that just based on seeing this, and seeing some TV ad for the game, I was able to piece together exactly what the comment is about...

Exactly my point.

Remember that old demo where the main character guy disarmed some guy and he pointed the shotgun at his face and the guy goes NOOOOOOO! and he shoots?

Is stuff like that in the game or is it scripted scenes only?

Cheska

medium_shockoprah.gif

Anyways, is there no ammo pick up from shooting a human enemy also using a gun?

hlhbk

I am going to pick this up a redbox. Who needs sleep! :) How do you download the day 1 preorder content for the online pass?

MFPSN

Neo Member
So can I play other digital games, while this is downloading? The wait is killing me....

@ 40% with 1 hour left.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I hate to be a debbie downer but I am just really not enjoying it so far, however i'm only about 3 hours in. Maybe I just don't like the genre, maybe I was overhyped. I'll pick it back up tomorrow.

Top Bottom