• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered MP |OT| For the love of god please stop running.

GAF what makes the multi so good in this game?

Said it the last page:

It's a really, really solid experience. Many MP games are the opposite with how they approach their game: you rush hard. But this is different. Most MP games don't have you utilizing a crouch, or being cautious around turns, or sticking together, or playing a metagame (collecting, building).

Add to the fact that there is no regenerative health, high health, a reviving mechanic, limited lives, and limited ammo (you can easily run out after a stressful firefight due to constantly reviving/downing enemies/missing shots) it makes for an incredible experience. No "hipfiring" so you aren't spraying like a madman, you must aim all your shots... it's thoughtful. It's the best word I can use.

Another word I like to use is "clockwork". Things can happen like clockwork, like rock paper scissors. It's 4 on 4. It's about predicting your opponent's moves. No super moves, no killstreaks, nothing that extreme to destroy the flow of play.

You may move 4 on 4, both teams as a single unit. You may spot an enemy, he may spot you, and you may engage in a good, 7 second firefight where you eventually down your enemy. You go in for the kill (enemies are downed first, and you must finish them off before they are revived), only to realize that their partner is around the corner... you are killed by that partner because you got too excited, sprinted towards the first enemy, eager to finish him off. Now you and the first enemy are downed, crawling for your team to revive you. The second enemy player decides to revive his friend before finishing you off, because it's the smart thing to do. After he revives his teammate, he comes looking for you, as you crawl towards your own partner. Your partner fails to save you, you get executed, but your partner fires a molotov that destroys both enemies instantly. Then your partner immediately dies by a shiv by the third enemy, who was flanking around the building. Just then, your third partner may show up to the scene of the action, only to die with an easy hail of bullets from the third enemy, because your partner is a noob. All the while, your fourth guy is nowhere to be seen, because he has strayed away on the other side of the map, looking for supplies to craft his awesome 2x4. The enemies fourth player is somewhere on a balcony, overseeing the rest of the map with a sniper..

Crafting is the other big thing. There are points in the maps where there are supply boxes where a good team is always moving to find items to craft. In fact, at the start of the game, both teams are rushing their side of two supply points, and then either battle for the middle box (usually supplying the 2x4), or flanking around. This is a constant metagame that helps the game moving, deters camping, and promotes a feeling of survival. It's slow, methodical, but all the while intense and fast.

That "clockwork" scenario is always fast, always deadly, and always well timed and planned. Everything happens as if you are a cog in the wheel, and sometimes, if you are good, you see a counter coming and your team pulls ahead to wipe out the entire 4 man team in that firefight.

I love the firefights that actually feel like drawn out battles as opposed to "one shot, one kill, and run around looking for more enemies", I love the metagame, I love the reviving and teamwork, I love the planning.

I have played 4-5 games online (never played the game before) boy I am not doing very well.. I would stream but I don't want to embarrass myself!

Any starting tips?

Crouch and stick together. Usually, people are either running like crazy (rare to see, people learn quick) or are just jogging with the default push of the stick, but enemies are always listening in with the "listen mode". Always assume you are being watched on listen mode.

Use the booster "Covert Training (level 2)". What this does is, when you crouch and move, you wont show up on the listen mode. This can be especially helpful against new players who rely too much on listen mode to find their enemies. When sticking to a group of players, they may get spotted, and the enemy may pop out for what they think is an easy kill..only to see you are there as backup, which can help you pick up an easy 2 on 1 kill.

Vitanimus

It IS usually better to stick together... in moderation. I was definitely guilty of basically being attached to the hip of the better players when I first started, which is just begging for a molotov to be thrown at you. It's unbelievably satisfying to down 3+ players with a single molotov/bomb.

#TeamCrafter3

AKyemeni

Ok, big Improvement:

When viewing an invite from a friend, It tells you how many people are in the party you are about to join.

It IS usually better to stick together... in moderation. I was definitely guilty of basically being attached to the hip of the better players when I first started, which is just begging for a molotov to be thrown at you. It's unbelievably satisfying to down 3+ players with a single molotov/bomb.

#TeamCrafter3

This guy knows what's up.

Why do you always finish your enemies with a shot? Is it just quicker or does it affect the rewards you get?

Quicker. Going in for the execution kill gives you more points (known as "parts"), and you get parts for killing, crafting, reviving, downing, executing, assists...

These parts can help you buy more ammo, upgrade guns, buy armour or buy special weapons (shotgun, Assault rifle, flamethrower, military sniper), which are like power weapons that kill easier (but have very limited ammo).

This is all per-game, meaning you dont keep any upgrades to your gun or anything like that once that single game is over.

Risk vs. reward.

Gbraga

Quicker. Going in for the execution kill gives you more points (known as "parts"), and you get parts for killing, crafting, reviving, downing, executing, assists...

These parts can help you buy more ammo, upgrade guns, buy armour or buy special weapons (shotgun, Assault rifle, flamethrower, military sniper), which are like power weapons that kill easier (but have very limited ammo).

This is all per-game, meaning you dont keep any upgrades to your gun or anything like that once that single game is over.

Risk vs. reward.

This sounds fantastic. I played it a few times on PS3, but never enough to really understand what I was doing. Looking forward to actually getting into it on PS4, I'll try to learn the game.

1080p/60fps for my "dedicated" multiplayer on PS4 sounds great.

Tuesday needs to hurry up. First thing I'm going to do is go straight into the multiplayer.

I still don't have my new internet running >_<

It'll take the whole day to download, which is fine since I'll be working all day, but if for some reason the internet goes down, I won't be able to play it on tuesday >_<

ThisOne

Anyone been in to Gamestop today to try and trade the PS3 version for 50% off this version? I can't see anything about this deal on their website so I don't want to waste my time going in there if they're not doing it.

This sounds fantastic. I played it a few times on PS3, but never enough to really understand what I was doing. Looking forward to actually getting into it on PS4, I'll try to learn the game.

1080p/60fps for my "dedicated" multiplayer on PS4 sounds great.

I still don't have my new internet running >_<

It'll take the whole day to download, which is fine since I'll be working all day, but if for some reason the internet goes down, I won't be able to play it on tuesday >_<

Ha. The other thing is, sometimes it's better to go in for an execution because you want to preserve your ammo. You will always be buying armour (which gets destroyed when you get shot, forcing you to buy more, but keep in mind armour gets more expensive the more times you buy it).

This thread has got me hyped for MP, but I've yet to make the purchase/preorder. I'm thinking of going digital, as I wont trade the game in ever.

Sold my PS3 version but made funds to buy a WiiU, so now I'm contemplating if I should jump in day one or not D:

LoU is my dedicated MP game, and I want to play with the community as one before they mess it up with more DLC.

Vitanimus

You can change the layout to the L1/R1 for shooting. That's what I'll be doing.

Ooh! Neat. It feels a blasphemous to not take advantage of how shooter-oriented Dualshock 4 is.

Anyone else worried that the scoped version of weapons are gonna ruin the balance of the game? I didn't see all the live stream a couple of days ago, but considering that both versions of a the same weapon cost 2 loadout points, while one is more accurate than the other seems a bit iffy. I'm assuming there's a trade off for accuracy in place of damage?

Gbraga

This thread has got me hyped for MP, but I've yet to make the purchase/preorder. I'm thinking of going digital, as I wont trade the game in ever.

Sold my PS3 version but made funds to buy a WiiU, so now I'm contemplating if I should jump in day one or not D:

LoU is my dedicated MP game, and I want to play with the community as one before they mess it up with more DLC.

You know you want it.

Gray Matter

Ooh! Neat. It feels a blasphemous to not take advantage of how shooter-oriented Dualshock 4 is.

Anyone else worried that the scoped version of weapons are gonna ruin the balance of the game? I didn't see all the live stream a couple of days ago, but considering that both versions of a the same weapon cost 2 loadout points, while one is more accurate than the other seems a bit iffy. I'm assuming there's a trade off for accuracy in place of damage?

I'm with you. They said that the only difference is better accuracy, but I'm not feeling the scoped weapons.

chaosaeon

I honestly can't rely on this MP for fun very reliably. I have unarmored enemies run up to me and start punching me, and I smack them with a 2x4 at the same time. I hit them twice with hit confirmations, but they down me with just bare hands after taking the 2 hits, and then they either go down 2 seconds after, or sometimes not at all. Then I get 1 hitted by a normal 2x4 (not modded, different kill animations and sound etc). Sometimes it makes no sense. I also appear to have either a 1 foot radius on molotovs, or mine are actually Osaka Orange Aid. I splash one right at somebody's feet and they take off fine, right before I get insta killed by one that hits a wall on the other side of the room. And I'm in a city with good connection speed and the right system settings.

thenexus6

I am sticking with other team mates, slowly getting the hang of it.. Its very good fun!

Not many people are playing with headsets on. I am able to get into Supply Raid games but not Survivors or Interrogation - I guess no one is playing those two. I am 614th in the world on Supply Raid; all downhill from there!

Vitanimus

I honestly can't rely on this MP for fun very reliably. I have unarmored enemies run up to me and start punching me, and I smack them with a 2x4 at the same time. I hit them twice with hit confirmations, but they down me with just bare hands after taking the 2 hits, and then they either go down 2 seconds after, or sometimes not at all. Then I get 1 hitted by a normal 2x4 (not modded, different kill animations and sound etc). Sometimes it makes no sense. I also appear to have either a 1 foot radius on molotovs, or mine are actually Osaka Orange Aid. I splash one right at somebody's feet and they take off fine, right before I get insta killed by one that hits a wall on the other side of the room. And I'm in a city with good connection speed and the right system settings.

They might have Brawler 2 or 3, where they have increased damaged with melee and restore a bit of health with each hit. Same with molotovs, I think the skill is called Explosives Expert or something, but that also increases the radius for things like molotovs and bombs.

The loadout points are what baffles me. Scoped seems so much more reliable, and it has less negative effects on the user... and it downs enemies faster. Seems like it will throw the whole pace of the game in a bad direction, like with what happened with Uncharted's health patch.

Can you maybe upload the footage? I'm curious if you were maybe getting shot at by other players? Or maybe it's likely lag

Cannot wait! It is going to be shiv kills all day for me.

I don't know if there is anything more satisfying in this game than having a great partner and using team work. I sneak around with a couple of shivs and when I give my friend the word I say open fire to distract them while I shiv the whole team one after another.

AKyemeni

The loadout points are what baffles me. Scoped seems so much more reliable, and it has less negative effects on the user... and it downs enemies faster. Seems like it will throw the whole pace of the game in a bad direction, like with what happened with Uncharted's health patch.
Don't forget the scoped weapons major drawback: Forced zoom.

It takes some time to aim scoped weapons and the maps in TLoU don't really have that many long range areas for scoped weapons to really dominate.

I'm sure everything will be fine. People said the same thing when the last batch of weapons arrived.

Vitanimus

Cannot wait! It is going to be shiv kills all day for me.

I can't remember ever getting a shiv kill without the assistance of a smoke bomb
emofish.gif

It takes some time to aim scoped weapons and the maps in TLoU don't really have that many long range areas for scoped weapons to really dominate.

I'm sure everything will be fine. People said the same thing when the last batch of weapons arrived.

That's pretty reassuring. I couldn't stomach the hunting rifle cos I sucked, so I usually just stuck with the semi auto and didn't really play about with the purchasable items.

chaosaeon

Can you maybe upload the footage? I'm curious if you were maybe getting shot at by other players? Or maybe it's likely lag

ND has, or at least stated that they had tested various different ping based matchmaking and other things to try to reduce lag but I still see it more than I should be. Things like enemies 'zoom sliding' with modded 2x4s to hit from 10foot+ distances are a bad giveaway.

They might have Brawler 2 or 3, where they have increased damaged with melee and restore a bit of health with each hit. Same with molotovs, I think the skill is called Explosives Expert or something, but that also increases the radius for things like molotovs and bombs.
Brawler is possible, though exact damage and how bare hands match with a 2x4 I'm not entirely sure. Sadly I've used explosive expert 1 and 2, and all it seems to do is make my laughs louder when enemies casually walk out of the explosions/flames. Same with smoke bombs that will actually stun ME but not the enemy it lands next to, lol.

Oh, and side note THE most rage inducing, controller breakingest thing that can happen :
Sneaking up or throwing a smoke bomb after downing 1 or 2 enemies, running up to Shiv another, and the multipurpose triangle button decides to execute one of the guys you downed instead as the intended Shiv victim laughs and blows you away during the animation and revives everyone else you downed.

Gray Matter

Oh, and side note THE most rage inducing, controller breakingest thing that can happen :
Sneaking up or throwing a smoke bomb after downing 1 or 2 enemies, running up to Shiv another, and the multipurpose triangle button decides to execute one of the guys you downed instead as the intended Shiv victim laughs and blows you away during the animation and revives everyone else you downed.

I fucking hate that too. And another thing, if I interrupt an enemy from completing a special execution on a teammate, the teammate should still be alive. It looks stupid when he's getting punched by a ghost.

I can't remember ever getting a shiv kill without the assistance of a smoke bomb.

Oh believe me it used to be the same for me. After the latest dlc on ps3 came out with the new skills, I jumped back on and played for a bit. I made a new stealth loadout centered on the executioner 3 skill which would net bonus parts for shiv kills plus two extra shiv uses for crafted shivs. So every game I would have like five shiv uses right after going to the first supply box. And since rushing seemed to be popular at the time, I would usually get behind a doorway or something and let the enemy team rush by me where I could sneak up behind them and usually shiv at least two of them.

I dont know... the lack of recoil upsets me, and I feel that there are enough scenarios where the scoped weapons will have successful use. Presumably, sidearms are formidable enough for the versatility. I'm also curious how much better the weapon gets with the upgrades.

Business

It's even more pathetic when one of the downed guys is yours and you try to revive him. Sucks but doesn't happen very often, plus now that you know, you can shoot the stunned guy instead of going for the shiv kill.

^ If ND is intent on making more maps to sell, I hope they fix up the MP issues like triangle priority too.

PS3 version has the annoying issue of hackers, and I don't know if that will persist on PS4... Sony needs to ban hackers, and since PS+ requires $50, I hope it deters the jerks that ruin the MP.

Gray Matter

^ If ND is intent on making more maps to sell, I hope they fix up the MP issues like triangle priority too.

PS3 version has the annoying issue of hackers, and I don't know if that will persist on PS4... Sony needs to ban hackers, and since PS+ requires $50, I hope it deters the jerks that ruin the MP.

I've never played with any cheaters, as far as I know.

Quick question regarding DLC. I've beaten the game on PS3 but never played the DLC. Does anything carry over from the main game or is the DLC entirely separate? I'll be replaying the main game first anyway but just wondering

Gray Matter

I hope to rush through the SP experience because the more I see of the MP the more I want it in my veins.

Do not do that. The SP is very special and a once in a lifetime gaming experience. Soak it all in and enjoy every moment of it. Only then you can fully indulge the MP.

chaosaeon

I hope to rush through the SP experience because the more I see of the MP the more I want it in my veins.

You will miss SO much if you rush. Tiny little things in the environment that can tell stories all on their own. I won't really say what that means but you'll know if you take your time. It's the kind of game where you want to visualize yourself breathing in the air in some of the environments, imagining what it smells/feels like.

Top Bottom