• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered MP |OT| For the love of god please stop running.

Gbraga

I hope to rush through the SP experience because the more I see of the MP the more I want it in my veins.

Don't do it, man.

If you wanna play the MP that much, just go and play it, spend your entire day one playing MP, then go play the campaign once you had your fix.

i-Lo

Query: Is the "Grounded" mode available from get go?

I already played the game on PS3 and if I buy the remastered edition down the line, I don't want to replay the game on normal again.

wowlace

Said it the last page:

It's a really, really solid experience. Many MP games are the opposite with how they approach their game: you rush hard. But this is different. Most MP games don't have you utilizing a crouch, or being cautious around turns, or sticking together, or playing a metagame (collecting, building).

Add to the fact that there is no regenerative health, high health, a reviving mechanic, limited lives, and limited ammo (you can easily run out after a stressful firefight due to constantly reviving/downing enemies/missing shots) it makes for an incredible experience. No "hipfiring" so you aren't spraying like a madman, you must aim all your shots... it's thoughtful. It's the best word I can use.

Another word I like to use is "clockwork". Things can happen like clockwork, like rock paper scissors. It's 4 on 4. It's about predicting your opponent's moves. No super moves, no killstreaks, nothing that extreme to destroy the flow of play.

You may move 4 on 4, both teams as a single unit. You may spot an enemy, he may spot you, and you may engage in a good, 7 second firefight where you eventually down your enemy. You go in for the kill (enemies are downed first, and you must finish them off before they are revived), only to realize that their partner is around the corner... you are killed by that partner because you got too excited, sprinted towards the first enemy, eager to finish him off. Now you and the first enemy are downed, crawling for your team to revive you. The second enemy player decides to revive his friend before finishing you off, because it's the smart thing to do. After he revives his teammate, he comes looking for you, as you crawl towards your own partner. Your partner fails to save you, you get executed, but your partner fires a molotov that destroys both enemies instantly. Then your partner immediately dies by a shiv by the third enemy, who was flanking around the building. Just then, your third partner may show up to the scene of the action, only to die with an easy hail of bullets from the third enemy, because your partner is a noob. All the while, your fourth guy is nowhere to be seen, because he has strayed away on the other side of the map, looking for supplies to craft his awesome 2x4. The enemies fourth player is somewhere on a balcony, overseeing the rest of the map with a sniper..

Crafting is the other big thing. There are points in the maps where there are supply boxes where a good team is always moving to find items to craft. In fact, at the start of the game, both teams are rushing their side of two supply points, and then either battle for the middle box (usually supplying the 2x4), or flanking around. This is a constant metagame that helps the game moving, deters camping, and promotes a feeling of survival. It's slow, methodical, but all the while intense and fast.

That "clockwork" scenario is always fast, always deadly, and always well timed and planned. Everything happens as if you are a cog in the wheel, and sometimes, if you are good, you see a counter coming and your team pulls ahead to wipe out the entire 4 man team in that firefight.

I love the firefights that actually feel like drawn out battles as opposed to "one shot, one kill, and run around looking for more enemies", I love the metagame, I love the reviving and teamwork, I love the planning.

Crouch and stick together. Usually, people are either running like crazy (rare to see, people learn quick) or are just jogging with the default push of the stick, but enemies are always listening in with the "listen mode". Always assume you are being watched on listen mode.

Use the booster "Covert Training (level 2)". What this does is, when you crouch and move, you wont show up on the listen mode. This can be especially helpful against new players who rely too much on listen mode to find their enemies. When sticking to a group of players, they may get spotted, and the enemy may pop out for what they think is an easy kill..only to see you are there as backup, which can help you pick up an easy 2 on 1 kill.

Cheers, sounds very interesting.

I hope to rush through the SP experience because the more I see of the MP the more I want it in my veins.

1386620468500.gif

Mentok

Banned
Do not do that. The SP is very special and a once in a lifetime gaming experience. Soak it all in and enjoy every moment of it. Only then you can fully indulge the MP.

You will miss SO much if you rush. Tiny little things in the environment that can tell stories all on their own. I won't really say what that means but you'll know if you take your time. It's the kind of game where you want to visualize yourself breathing in the air in some of the environments, imagining what it smells/feels like.

awful idea

Don't do it, man.

If you wanna play the MP that much, just go and play it, spend your entire day one playing MP, then go play the campaign once you had your fix.

Make sure you rush in MP too

;P

I apologize to everyone! I will take my time and soak it in, then I will hit up MP GAF for some online fun too.

4qk5qw.gif

Chris_C

I picked up my copy of the game last night and played a little single player (finished the game before). I hope to play a little multiplayer in a couple of hours. People aren't getting banned, are they?

Gray Matter

I picked up my copy of the game last night and played a little single player (finished the game before). I hope to play a little multiplayer in a couple of hours. People aren't getting banned, are they?

If you stream it you'll get banned from twitch.

Oublieux

I apologize to everyone! I will take my time and soak it in, then I will hit up MP GAF for some online fun too.

4qk5qw.gif

Haha, amusing .gif. But, yeah, totally take your time exploring TLOU. There are some dialogue bits that only happen when you interact with certain objects. They make for interesting conversations that really flesh out the world and characters.

GavinUK86

Console banned? No. Streaming on twitch, yes. You could stream it via ustream and you won't be banned.

AKyemeni

The PS3 and PS4 Multiplayers currently are not working. Something is happening on ND's side and I can't connection to the multiplayer

depward

Brother and I are unsure about this. Looking primarily for a mp experience. We:

-both played through the sp on ps3. Both liked the game but didn't love it.
-both never played mp of tlou.
-both liked uncharted and uncharted mp.

We like tactical games versus "twitchy" games, hence why we are really thinking if it's worth picking this up to play mp.

Gray Matter

Brother and I are unsure about this. Looking primarily for a mp experience. We:

-both played through the sp on ps3. Both liked the game but didn't love it.
-both never played mp of tlou.
-both liked uncharted and uncharted mp.

We like tactical games versus "twitchy" games, hence why we are really thinking if it's worth picking this up to play mp.

TLoU MP is completely different compared to uncharted MP. Give it a try.

Chris_C

Console banned? No. Streaming on twitch, yes. You could stream it via ustream and you won't be banned.

Oh yeah, should have mean more clear, I meant I don't want my twitch account banned. I can't really be bothered to set up a Ustream account, not that my stream would be worth watching, I have terrible upload speed, less than 1mbps

The PS3 and PS4 Multiplayers currently are not working. Something is happening on ND's side and I can't connection to the multiplayer

Well, that's a shame.

Chris_C

I hear TLoU multiplayer is comparable to Gears of War (which I loved). Any truth to this?

TLoU MP is the best multiplayer I've played last gen, alongside Gears 1 MP. There are definite similarities in terms of the tension they both bring, but TLoU is more measured. You get messed up real quick if you try to tank the enemy. Hunting in packs is usually well rewarded, and strategy plays a larger role because sometimes you just need to run and hide, get some medkits and ammo, and bide your time.

I love playing in a well organized group (that doesn't take itself too seriously). It's a truly fantastic experience.

On a side note: After seeing the OP gifs, I realized that the version I played on PS3 was censored (HK). Likey to be the same as I got the PS4 HK version

Gray Matter

TLoU MP is the best multiplayer I've played last gen, alongside Gears 1 MP. There are definite similarities in terms of the tension they both bring, but TLoU is more measured. You get messed up real quick if you try to tank the enemy. Hunting in packs is usually well rewarded, and strategy plays a larger role because sometimes you just need to run and hide, get some medkits and ammo, and bide your time.

I love playing in a well organized group (that doesn't take itself too seriously). It's a truly fantastic experience.

On a side note: After seeing the OP gifs, I realized that the version I played on PS3 was censored (HK). Likey to be the same as I got the PS4 HK version

I was watching a MP live stream earlier today and the gore censorship just took me out of it. It might be a small factor but it's so rewarding when you go for a special execution and you see the opponents head burst.

Mullah88

They have their similarities, but the TLoU is much slower, which is a good thing. It can get really intense at times.
The 1v3 scenarios gets the blood flowing. It's as intense as Socom was back in the day. Just wish they had a mode with listening mode off. Let us use our headsets and sixth sense lol

Crumbtiny

I never dipped into the multi on the PS3. Excited to give it a try and hope to find a good group of folks to run with (none of my friends have the PS4, all on XB1).

Stoked to check out the Left Behind DLC as well. Thanks got getting me excited for this GAF! I'm hoping it'll be a great go-to multi experience until Destiny!

Nvzman

So, are the DLC Weapons + perks already in Remastered? Or are they still purchasable and carry over to the PS4 if you bought them on PS3?
I bought that DLC stuff a few days ago on PS3 and I'm wondering if it will transfer to PS4.

Gray Matter

So, are the DLC Weapons + perks already in Remastered? Or are they still purchasable and carry over to the PS4 if you bought them on PS3?
I bought that DLC stuff a few days ago on PS3 and I'm wondering if it will transfer to PS4.

Yes, if you bought them on PS3 you can download them on PS4 for free

Chris_C

I was watching a MP live stream earlier today and the gore censorship just took me out of it. It might be a small factor but it's so rewarding when you go for a special execution and you see the opponents head burst.

I can understand that, but gore has never been a driving factor for me when it comes to entertainment.

Palpable

Forgive me if this has been posted before, but will our PS3 TLoU save game data carry over to the PS4 remastered version? I'd love to be able to play a new game + right off the bat.

CLBridges

I see the words after OT but do not comprehend. No running lol? Depends on my load-out because sometimes I equip the Shorty and Shotgun along with full Brawler. Once I do that, bum-rush mode is engaged lol. It's very fun to do as long as your team is notified prior. High risk/High reward.

Top Bottom