• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered MP |OT| For the love of god please stop running.

hesido

Maybe he was concerned that what downed you 3 would get him also?

It was the beginning of the match, I was downed in a separate location and crawled my way back to him, we seemed to be in good cover, it happened right at the first encounter, he didn't run back or aim at anyone. He also finished with 0 revives which doesn't prove but supports my story :)

Is the EU version still censored in the MP?
Yes.

Anarion07

Is there anyone WITHOUT matchmaking issues?

I just don't get it.
Even in KZ:SF you didn't have to wait for a match, and I bet a lot more people play TLOU

CLBridges

I'm slowly getting back into the MP side of the game. Happened to match up with a few randoms and we dominated several games. One game it was 20-0 for the win, think that was my first time just steam rolling a team like that.

I've been on the other side of it though, and I know it's not fun. That full auto rifle is so dangerous man. I was killing with that thing, it's a beast up close and mid range.

Goddamn this multiplayer is good.

I didn't play much on PS3 because the framerate wasn't the best and I hate the PS3 controller for competitive shooters. I'm digging into it on PS4 now and I really like it. I'm doing pretty damn well, too.

Is there anyone WITHOUT matchmaking issues?

I just don't get it.
Even in KZ:SF you didn't have to wait for a match, and I bet a lot more people play TLOU

Had to wait for 5 minutes or more yesterday evening for a match (GMT+2). I really hate that it isn't giving you a lot of feedback what is going on in the match making/searching. I miss old good PC days when you could see the servers and latency in actual milliseconds (not just green/orange/red bars).

Padinn

Check it isn't muted? Hold down the PS button and go to adjust devices - there is an option to mute the camera mic in there

Idid, it was not muted.Anyway to tell if I am transmitting? I noticed my teammates appeared to be talking in only one round.

Well, wanted to play more over the weekend but the matchmaking blows. Would have a party going and would knock a few of us out. I only got to play a couple maps in a couple hours so I gave up and played the story. They really need to fix this.

Zareka

Am I the only one not having problems with people running? Every single game I've been in has been with randoms, and rarely do I see people actually running everywhere. Every now and then, sure, but never enough to get us killed.

It's the lone wolves that ruin matches for me. And even then most of the teams I've been with crouch around together, say, 80% of the time.

God I love this MP. Best I've played in a long time. Wish it would be enough to convince my friends to get a PS4 but...they're all Halo fans. :(

Is there any way to see player counts on the MP? Just wondering how the count is divided between the modes. Survivors mode is the one that I like the most, but I had some trouble getting in to matches.

Also does choking/takedown work same way in MP as in SP? Get behind a guy and press a button?

drotahorror

Does anyone know why sometimes my connection is grey? It's either 4 bars or grey. I haven't noticed much lag on either connection. On PC I get 20-50 ping on servers, 80 on westcoast. servers.

quickwhips

Is there any way to see player counts on the MP? Just wondering how the count is divided between the modes. Survivors mode is the one that I like the most, but I had some trouble getting in to matches.

Also does choking/takedown work same way in MP as in SP? Get behind a guy and press a button?

I wish they would show player count per mode like gears of war did it. That would be a great feature!

Am I the only one not having problems with people running? Every single game I've been in has been with randoms, and rarely do I see people actually running everywhere. Every now and then, sure, but never enough to get us killed.

It's the lone wolves that ruin matches for me. And even then most of the teams I've been with crouch around together, say, 80% of the time.

God I love this MP. Best I've played in a long time. Wish it would be enough to convince my friends to get a PS4 but...they're all Halo fans. :(

First off, I want to say that I LOVE your avatar.

Second, yeah I get a guy or two every match that run and sometimes even get themselves killed. It sucks ; ;

However, I played some Interrogation and most people were running and gunning. Felt more TDM than the other modes to me.

I hope it's not to late to join TLoUGAF for some multiplayer. I just returned from some backpacking through Thailand and I found a freshly sealed remastered edition in my mailbox. I can't wait to turn my console on.
I think there is this google sheet again - like the Watchdogs one, right?

Zareka

First off, I want to say that I LOVE your avatar.

Second, yeah I get a guy or two every match that run and sometimes even get themselves killed. It sucks ; ;

However, I played some Interrogation and most people were running and gunning. Felt more TDM than the other modes to me.

Haha, thank you! You're the second person to say that. :p I'm not responsible for making it, though! So please don't direct any undeserved praise towards me.

I haven't played any other gametype than Supply Raid now that I think about it, so maybe it's just there that people aren't so gung-ho about everything (ironically).
So I need a shiv to perform a takedown? That explains why I couldn't do anything when I snuck up on one guy.
Yup, otherwise you're just patting them on the back to let them know you're a free kill. :p

Played a fair bit of this over the last couple of nights. It's not bad, certainly not as good as I was hoping it was going to be, but not bad.

Unfortunately 3 of my friends also bought the game and tried multiplayer with me and they all HATE it. Normally they like this sort of stuff, as we had a pretty tight Battlefield 4 squad, and also enjoyed Gears a fair bit - but none of them are taking to this at all.

Most of it comes down to taste - they either don't like the shooting mechanic or don't like how slow it can progress.

In terms of what I think is actually 'flawed', I'd say:
- Bow is OP as fuck. Seriously, if you doubt it - use it. 2 shot kill, fast as fuck, perfectly silent.
- I feel like the Covert perks (specifically, the one that lets you crouch walk without being heard) break the flow of the game. It's not that I think everyone should be able to wallhack you, but it tends to take the game into 'frustrating' territory - particularly against a team of 3+ using it.
- Is it just me (never played this on PS3) or are the supply boxes completely random? I feel like the purpose of locking them down, opening, collecting and ultimately covering teammates while they quickly craft is all but wasted, if the items are randomised and often quite useless. While they obviously all contribute to items, I feel like the person who gets the 2x4 and melee upgrade has a better hand that if I manage to get half way to a med kit or smoke bomb. In any case, randomness in games that involve weapon/supply drops is not ideal.
- Matchmaking is terrible. The game just came out and you're telling me that you couldn't find players anywhere close to my level/skill? No, instead it flies through 'optimal' and 'close', and jumps to 'any' before throwing me against a team much, much higher.
- Lag is terrible. I wish I had kept my share footage of some of the shit I was seeing. Game can feel completely broken at times, particularly during some melee/close encounters.
- Perks the game. Seriously. Of all the multiplayer games I've put time into, this one feels like a grind most of all. In COD, Battlefield, Halo 4, Ghost Recon, Gears etc I felt like the default options (or the first couple of unlocks) allowed me to build a suitable class that was fun and effective. Not 100% of the time, but most of the time. In TLoU - I get none of that. Even with 1300+ supplies or whatever it is I've unlocked, I still don't feel like I have adequate loadout points or choices to make an effective class. I found some fun in using a silenced semi-auto rifle & covert op 2, but even that was a very recent unlock.
- Purchasable weapons. Do these unlock only via microtransactions? I mean, I can select a preset class and enjoy the game, but when trying to create a custom loadout, I'm not seeing purchasable weapons available?

So I don't sound too negative, these are the things I am really enjoying:
- Tense matches. When the matchmaking works, the game is really fun and heart racing. One of the more memorable matches was when a very close match went into sudden death and it was 2v2 left. Me and a friend had to sneak around, slowly taking out nail bombs before quickly healing, armouring and taking on two camping bow users. Was extremely tense and felt like we earned a good victory.
- Shooting mechanics. Feels very weighty and intimidating while firing. When a shot goes past your head it's scary and you know to run/hide.
- Some really cool weapons. The silenced enforcer, spectre, military sniper, hunting rifle etc all feel fantastic.
- Map design. Not amazing, but definitely alot better than I've come to expect from Uncharted, Gears etc.
- Single Player mechanics. I like that everything carries over. Listen mode, crafting, shivs, healing etc. It would have been very easy to make the multiplayer feel tacked on and undercooked, but the fact that it utilises most of the single player elements makes it feel very 'complete'. The only glaring oversight is the lack of a strangle or human shield option.

This ended up being a lot longer than I had initially planned! But overall, I'm finding it okay. Between the single player and occasional MP match, this should hold me over until Destiny blows my socks off.

- Matchmaking is terrible. The game just came out and you're telling me that you couldn't find players anywhere close to my level/skill? No, instead it flies through 'optimal' and 'close', and jumps to 'any' before throwing me against a team much, much higher.

This is the only thing I agree with you on for the cons. Everything else they have thought about and there is a reason for them. Did your friends play a lot of the single player campaign before multiplayer? I found that helped a lot (kind of like practice) before going against other players that have an idea of what they are doing.

And, yes, I definitely agree with them, it's not an FPS shooter you can just pick up and play. Very tense.

Rodelero

You still get a lot of extra points by killing attackers when defending. You see no one wants to end the match prematurely because they need to farm supplies ;)

I always hated when someone rushed in and unlocked the safe when there was still so much time left. The ''right'' way of playing it is unlocking the safe 2/3 and then camp near it and start killing incoming defenders.

Interrogation mode is best for farming supplies and completing missions.
But now that I unlocked everything I don't care anymore about supplies and when the match ends :)

So many objective gamemodes in so many games are entirely ruined by this kind of attitude.

This is the only thing I agree with you on for the cons. Everything else they have thought about and there is a reason for them. Did your friends play a lot of the single player campaign before multiplayer? I found that helped a lot (kind of like practice) before going against other players that have an idea of what they are doing.

And, yes, I definitely agree with them, it's not an FPS shooter you can just pick up and play. Very tense.

We have all progressed quite far in single player.
I should clarify - it's not that we can't aim, we're fine with that. It's the fact that between the lag, some of the weapons (bows) and close encounter jankiness - being a crack shot is the least of our problems when wielding a gun.

Would also like to see your opinion on microtransaction weapons, lag issues and the lead time on building/unlocking a decent custom loadout.

andycapps

Played a fair bit of this over the last couple of nights. It's not bad, certainly not as good as I was hoping it was going to be, but not bad.

Unfortunately 3 of my friends also bought the game and tried multiplayer with me and they all HATE it. Normally they like this sort of stuff, as we had a pretty tight Battlefield 4 squad, and also enjoyed Gears a fair bit - but none of them are taking to this at all.

Most of it comes down to taste - they either don't like the shooting mechanic or don't like how slow it can progress.

In terms of what I think is actually 'flawed', I'd say:
- Bow is OP as fuck. Seriously, if you doubt it - use it. 2 shot kill, fast as fuck, perfectly silent.
- I feel like the Covert perks (specifically, the one that lets you crouch walk without being heard) break the flow of the game. It's not that I think everyone should be able to wallhack you, but it tends to take the game into 'frustrating' territory - particularly against a team of 3+ using it.
- Is it just me (never played this on PS3) or are the supply boxes completely random? I feel like the purpose of locking them down, opening, collecting and ultimately covering teammates while they quickly craft is all but wasted, if the items are randomised and often quite useless. While they obviously all contribute to items, I feel like the person who gets the 2x4 and melee upgrade has a better hand that if I manage to get half way to a med kit or smoke bomb. In any case, randomness in games that involve weapon/supply drops is not ideal.
- Lag is terrible. I wish I had kept my share footage of some of the shit I was seeing. Game can feel completely broken at times, particularly during some melee/close encounters.
- Perks the game. Seriously. Of all the multiplayer games I've put time into, this one feels like a grind most of all. In COD, Battlefield, Halo 4, Ghost Recon, Gears etc I felt like the default options (or the first couple of unlocks) allowed me to build a suitable class that was fun and effective. Not 100% of the time, but most of the time. In TLoU - I get none of that. Even with 1300+ supplies or whatever it is I've unlocked, I still don't feel like I have adequate loadout points or choices to make an effective class. I found some fun in using a silenced semi-auto rifle & covert op 2, but even that was a very recent unlock.
- Purchasable weapons. Do these unlock only via microtransactions? I mean, I can select a preset class and enjoy the game, but when trying to create a custom loadout, I'm not seeing purchasable weapons available?

So I don't sound too negative, these are the things I am really enjoying:
- Tense matches. When the matchmaking works, the game is really fun and heart racing. One of the more memorable matches was when a very close match went into sudden death and it was 2v2 left. Me and a friend had to sneak around, slowly taking out nail bombs before quickly healing, armouring and taking on two camping bow users. Was extremely tense and felt like we earned a good victory.
- Shooting mechanics. Feels very weighty and intimidating while firing. When a shot goes past your head it's scary and you know to run/hide.
- Some really cool weapons. The silenced enforcer, spectre, military sniper, hunting rifle etc all feel fantastic.
- Map design. Not amazing, but definitely alot better than I've come to expect from Uncharted, Gears etc.
- Single Player mechanics. I like that everything carries over. Listen mode, crafting, shivs, healing etc. It would have been very easy to make the multiplayer feel tacked on and undercooked, but the fact that it utilises most of the single player elements makes it feel very 'complete'. The only glaring oversight is the lack of a strangle or human shield option.

This ended up being a lot longer than I had initially planned! But overall, I'm finding it okay. Between the single player and occasional MP match, this should hold me over until Destiny blows my socks off.

I disagree with most of your conclusions after putting a lot of time into the PS3 version of this and some time into the PS4 version.

IMO, the game is very well balanced. Having the right perks can help, of course, but a good player can really shift the game and almost win the game on their own. I haven't even gotten the bow yet this time around and my KDR is usually 2:1 or 3:1. Granted if we were playing a GAF match with good players on each team my KDR wouldn't be quite that high. I'd suggest just to keep going if you're struggling. The game seems very simple, and it is, but there's a lot of room for players to improve their skills.

The supply boxes are random to an extent. If your team is dominating the other, you're not going to get many supplies, and the other team will get more supplies to give them a better chance of making it a good game. There's probably more info in the wiki about the strategy you should use with supply boxes.

Matchmaking is obviously bad, wasn't like this on PS3, but it's been out less than a week. I think they'll get it patched up pretty quickly.

Would also like to see your opinion on microtransaction weapons, lag issues and the lead time on building/unlocking a decent custom loadout.

MHO on microtransactions is yeah they suck, but buying these doesn't change the game. Most people are doing just fine without them. Lag issues; I've come across it during one game and I'm sure it was someone's connection or maybe even mine, but it's only been one game out of the 15-20 I've been in so far. Custom loadouts are pretty decent from the start and if you keep using a few you can build the perks up pretty quick.

Like I said before, it's definitely different from the military shooters which is why I think a lot of us like it. But hey, if it's not their cup of tea, I don't blame 'em.

Wow, the MP is broken.

- Matchmaking is a mess
- Invisible players
- No respawn after death, everyone just lying on the ground (time does not stop and I got disconnected because of inactivity, fuck this! I lost all my supplies)
- Kills don't count
- Bombs not exploding

It's not my connection. Everything works fine.
I loved the MP on Ps3 but this is unacceptable

Zareka

Really shouldn't have said anything about not having problems with sprinters. Last couple matches have been full of people sprinting, not reviving and afking. :|

Still won tho.

425.gif

Loomba

I'm in the UK and bought the US PSN version.

Does that mean I need to buy the add-ons from the US store? will that work when playing on my UK account?

pronk420

wow the MP is really fun. it feels very different from Uncharted 2.

i don't know if its just because i don't aim good but the full auto/burst/semi weapons seem to do nothing and then i get one hit.. i've shot people like 3 or 4 times as they ran around and then they kill me in one shot, like almost every encounter

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm in the UK and bought the US PSN version.

Does that mean I need to buy the add-ons from the US store? will that work when playing on my UK account?

yes and 'I think so'

When I'm logged into my UK account, I can't purchase any weapons/perks directly from within TLoU. I would expect you to be able to buy them directly from the store using your US account, and then play with them with any account just fine (assuming your PS4 is your 'primary' console for your US account which it will be)

Loomba

I would expect you to be able to buy them directly from the store using your US account, and then play with them with any account just fine (assuming your PS4 is your 'primary' console for your US account which it will be)

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for, I just bought some anyway; I'll update if it works or not later.

I will never understand corpse humping/tea bagging. When I down an enemy the furthest thing from my mind is "hey, I should run over to that dude asap and mime sexual acts". Shit is just bizarre to me.

Quite frankly, I prefer to use the taunts. They're way better... except they don't work 90% of the time, and can't break animation so people will kill you while you're taunting.

You still get a lot of extra points by killing attackers when defending. You see no one wants to end the match prematurely because they need to farm supplies ;)

I always hated when someone rushed in and unlocked the safe when there was still so much time left. The ''right'' way of playing it is unlocking the safe 2/3 and then camp near it and start killing incoming defenders.

Interrogation mode is best for farming supplies and completing missions.
But now that I unlocked everything I don't care anymore about supplies and when the match ends :)

Yeah of course I do that too, but my team doesn't get to that point if no one else is attacking. They just hang back while I keep the other team busy defending. Sometimes those guys who hang bang don't see action for the last half of the match, and they still don't move.

Top Bottom