• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered MP |OT| For the love of god please stop running.

Gxgear

Am I the only one who can't connect to multiplayer currently?

It's just sitting on the 'Please Wait...' screen spinning forever.

EDIT - Finally connected after rebooting the game for the third time.

Don't reboot, just exit out of the queuing menu a couple times to the multiplayer menu.

Superflat

Been looking at higher level skills I unlocked recently.

What is the difference between Crafter 2 and Crafter 3? The description given is identical.

Looked at the diff between First Aid Training 2 & 3, and the only difference stated is that you heal 20 health instead of 10 health. That's a raw deal for 2 whole loadout points, lol

edit: answered my own question, you can craft a gift after making 2 items instead of 3. That doesn't seem worth the extra points either :U

Mentok

Banned
Crafter 2 and 3.....yeah you answered the question. If you are playing team strat, crafter 3 is worth it.
If anyone plays late nights, add me PSN: Berzerk-O.

sense

At week 10 now. I find myself playing then seeing a mission pop up and I think, "I could probably knock that out now." then once that's done, "Might as well finish this week." and then, "Another mission?!"

Two hours later I come out of my trance.

you are not alone i did the same....

on a side note this is utter bs that we have to play like 84 matches as both hunter and firefly to get the platinum. i don't even play for trophies that much but this game i did and now i want to complete because i got all the single player stuff. mp is a lot of fun but it still is ridiculous.

Grinchy

Banned
Starting up a party to play for a few hours. Have 2/4. Maybe have 3/4. We all use mics but I don't kick you out of bed for not having one.

Just add me (Grinchy)

Cubed

you are not alone i did the same....

on a side note this is utter bs that we have to play like 84 matches as both hunter and firefly to get the platinum. i don't even play for trophies that much but this game i did and now i want to complete because i got all the single player stuff. mp is a lot of fun but it still is ridiculous.

I'll back this sentiment about "one more match." Extremely addictive MP.

I'll also support the sentiment that 168 matches for 2 trophies is ridiculous. Mainly because I already did it on PS3.

Fair point. Yeah if you're aiming for a high clan size then I can see that being an problem.

Actually no. It doesn't count. You get supplies towards your unlocks but that's it. So if you have the luck of getting dropped into nothing but in progress games you're stuck playing the same day 5 games straight.

When I finally got pissed off and quit I get to the menu and see I have 40 hungry people.

It gives you more days to complete missions at least.

BadHand

I love this MP but it seems to often devolve into people equipping the bow and running off in different directions.

Played a match earlier where everyone of my teammates went it alone with the bow and we got crushed. It seems to be way overpowered too, people soak up bullets like crazy but two arrows will down anyone.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I love this MP but it seems to often devolve into people equipping the bow and running off in different directions.

Played a match earlier where everyone of my teammates went it alone with the bow and we got crushed. It seems to be way overpowered too, people soak up bullets like crazy but two arrows will down anyone.

It really isn't.

"Bow is OP because I don't know where the shots are coming from and it hits so hard!"

See, if you don't know where the shots are coming from, that means you've been flanked. Noise or no noise, you're at a severe disadvantage and will likely go down no matter what. Hell, some noisy weapons outperform the Bow when flanking. Hunting Rifle users get all the time in the world to line up a headshot (and it's far easier to do so with it than the Bow) while Burst Rifle users, already major threats in direct firefights, will laugh as they score up to three easy headshots on you (as if they don't get enough of those when not flanking). Nevermind the purchaseables which'll wreck anyone faster than the Bow ever could.

"The Bow is just too fast! I don't stand a chance in a firefight!"

No, you do stand a chance and that's because it's not very fast. At least, it's not fast on the first shot. It has a slower draw time than all of the firearms and is more difficult to aim due to the lack of a scope or reticule, forcing Bow users to spend more time than the average player to line up their shot. You, on the other hand, can spend less time. If you realize they haven't drawn yet, draw first. They try to draw, you shoot. Bow users suffer from much more damage wobble than others, making it nearly impossible for them to win if they've been shot.

Their advantage comes in once they've drawn and lined up their shot. If you've fought Hunting Rifle / Military Sniper users, you'll know that trying to fight one who set their sights on you is just like asking them to blow your brains out. Same applies to Bow users. Popping out is just asking for trouble. Not as much trouble as they aren't as likely to score a headshot, but it does happen. Even if not a headshot, once you're hit, you'll only stand a chance if you're using a rapid-fire weapon and that's if they're sufficiently out of cover. They have no need to adjust their aim anymore. They just need to ready the second arrow.

Point is, learn when to back off and learn when to stand your ground. If you learned against standard firearms, I don't see why you can't learn against the Bow. When you back off, you can heal or, hell, if you're not hit, you can simply wait for their arm to tire and force them to back off after.

BadHand

It really isn't.

Am I supposed to take that quote as some sort of gospel truth?. It is far more damaging than say, a 9mm. Arrows shouldn't kill people like some golden gun.

I've literally been destroying people with the bow because it's so fantastically accurate. Was playing at my friends all day and the style of play is just not my thing

The problem with the bow is it seems to encourage people sneaking off on their own and it makes the game (in my opinion) boring. I'm just not very good at this game when my teammates disappear into the four corners of the map.

Cubed

Finally made it to week nine in my first journey. If I'm completely honest, this is already starting to feel like a slog.

Again, I think it's because I played through all of this to get the platinum on PS3.

Oh well; it's not like I am hating the game. I'm just not into it as much as I thought I would be.

I really do think playing 168+ games on the PS3 sort of wore me down heading into the PS4 version.

Superflat

Finally made it to week nine in my first journey. If I'm completely honest, this is already starting to feel like a slog.

Again, I think it's because I played through all of this to get the platinum on PS3.

Oh well; it's not like I am hating the game. I'm just not into it as much as I thought I would be.

I really do think playing 168+ games on the PS3 sort of wore me down heading into the PS4 version.

I rarely play any MP on consoles and I've been surprised at how much I enjoy the MP in this game, and I've played a lot of matches. But 168 rounds is like, a lot. Completing a match and getting to a new one is roughly 10-15 minutes, which means it'll be about 30-40 hours of multiplayer to complete both campaigns.

And that's if you survive all the 100% risk missions, which most people would need to plan for (I didn't and failed a high risk mission halfway through a Hunter campaign and had to start over). I play TLOU MP consistently but I usually just play a handful of rounds per day because it gets draining quick. It's gonna take forever to reach my plat -- just hope I don't get burned out on the gameplay before then.

hesido

I decided that I hated the "Clan Member" meta-game. Sure, some missions to choose are easy but you run out of the easy ones after a few times. It forces you to alter your play-style, not for reward but to save your clan's ass. And I think that might have caused a loss for my team a couple of times, between you and me (e.g. trying to take out with knife instead of a clean shot was a failure and through a mini-butterfly effect, it changed the game's course, we lost)

It's a method to lessen the amount of quitters (at least through the game menu's), as quitting devastates the clan status, and for a 4vs4 game, the less quitters the better, but I feel it could be more reward based than punishment.

What do I lose by ignoring it completely? My max population ever was 74. Will I miss anything if I ignore that?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I decided that I hated the "Clan Member" meta-game. Sure, some missions to choose are easy but you run out of the easy ones after a few times. It forces you to alter your play-style, not for reward but to save your clan's ass. And I think that might have caused a loss for my team a couple of times, between you and me (e.g. trying to take out with knife instead of a clean shot was a failure and through a mini-butterfly effect, it changed the game's course, we lost)

It's a method to lessen the amount of quitters (at least through the game menu's), as quitting devastates the clan status, and for a 4vs4 game, the less quitters the better, but I feel it could be more reward based than punishment.

What do I lose by ignoring it completely? My max population ever was 74. Will I miss anything if I ignore that?

only meaningful thing is unlocking all 13 of your loadout points. You should manage that naturally through play though. 3825-ish points to unlock the 13th loadout point

tbh the metagame is fairly ignorable - even the 100% failure missions you can just pick something like healing and the support class and you should breeze through.

I decided that I hated the "Clan Member" meta-game. It forces you to alter your play-style, not for reward but to save your clan's ass.

This is by far my biggest issue with the Clan Member meta-game, combined with the severity of the 100%-loss events. You can't lose less than 20% even if you go way over the requirements which kills my interest in increasing my clan.

When you have to focus on one specific activity instead of solely playing to help your team, it undermines what makes the MP compelling in the first place.

Jinjo

hesido

Thanks guys. I have all 13 loadout points. Cosmetics I don't care. So think I'm going to relax about it. That said, the game still could do without 100% risk missions and the mandatory 20% loss (it does keep unchecked clan growth but that growth is already limited by the amount you can salvage every round as people become sick and pass away) so why the extra frustration?

I think the missions add a good amount of flavour to the game. I prefer to think of it as potentially adding to the breadth of your playstyle. For example, I thought the shorty was terrible so I took the 3 shorty downs missions. Turns out its freaking great to have for close quarters encounters and now my sneaky loadout is bow + silenced shorty.

I kept my experimenting to the missions that grant you new clan members. Nothing wrong with screwing those up. For the 100% ones there are some really easy ones you can do like getting downs, executions and healing (thanks for the tip). Gift boxes are really easy too. You can repeat the down and execution ones and they're still pretty easy. Also you can go for 3 downs with your preferred weapon. There are only 5 full wipe challenges.

$30 for hats when I paid $25 for the entire game. I know some people like this stuff, but I will never understand it.

I think the missions add a good amount of flavour to the game. I prefer to think of it as potentially adding to the breadth of your playstyle

I can understand this, but it's not how I approach the game. I'm already going to experiment with everything and find my favorite stuff, so I don't like being influenced into playing other ways, especially when it can conflict with the team's interests.

For the 100% ones there are some really easy ones you can do.

I know all this stuff and have never had an issue completing the events, but I don't think they are integrated well into the main MP. Team play is the heart of the experience, so anything that can potentially detract from that is bad design to me. The "20% minimum tax" is just silly imho.

Footos22

That's both journeys done. Officially Fi ished with last of us mp until new maps. The final 2 weeks were awful netcode wise. Had invisible ppl. Hit detection lag in the seconds been like this since .017. Glad that's over wit. No quits. Almost 100% survivors took me nearly 3 weeks. Which was 44 hours altogether. Now to start the sp.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Am I supposed to take that quote as some sort of gospel truth?. It is far more damaging than say, a 9mm. Arrows shouldn't kill people like some golden gun.

I've literally been destroying people with the bow because it's so fantastically accurate. Was playing at my friends all day and the style of play is just not my thing

The problem with the bow is it seems to encourage people sneaking off on their own and it makes the game (in my opinion) boring. I'm just not very good at this game when my teammates disappear into the four corners of the map.

No, it just gives a good explanation as to why it isn't overpowered. And of course it's more damaging than a 9mm, it's a handgun. It isn't some golden gun. It's quite easy to down a bow user one on one. Once you're pumping bullets in them, it's really hard for them to get a shot off that's even close to on target. And if they go under cover / start shooting around a corner? Don't peak out, wait till they go down for a second and draw your weapon, once they pop out they're dead. You could make the sneaking off complaint about any weapon, silenced or not. It's covert training that allows them to not be detected by listen mode.

The bow is fine. It downs in two shots. So does the hunting rifle. Hunting rifle has 'more' range (scope makes it easier to kill at long range, no arc). Bow has better close quarters game. Bow = 3 lp, hunting rifle = 2. Bow is silent, but draw speed is slow. Bow fires in succession faster than hunting rifle, but you can unscope with hunting rifle, whereas bows draw speed hinders unscoping. This matters because of movement speed while scoped.

9mm requires 5 hits to down but costs 0 lp. Also fires quickly, and quick to scope. Revolver = 3 shots to down. Slower fire. 0 lp.

Personally I admit the bow is good. I use the hunting rifle 99% of the time in my classes though. If teammates run off, thats more of a problem with their playstyle. I know people who run bow and stick with the team.

Bow is not OP.

This is by far my biggest issue with the Clan Member meta-game, combined with the severity of the 100%-loss events. You can't lose less than 20% even if you go way over the requirements which kills my interest in increasing my clan.

When you have to focus on one specific activity instead of solely playing to help your team, it undermines what makes the MP compelling in the first place.

There are only 5 100% wipes. Use downs/kills/marks for those. You should be doing all those every game anyway. All other missions where you lose clan members, chose downs with your prefered weapons. All other missions, experiment or just don't care. Of course healing and gifting are easy too, but im specifically telling you ones that won't affect your play style. Easy.

how do i always end up missing my throws or end up hitting myself with molotovs and grenades..

and fuck teammates who don't revive.

This, the throw arc will show a full arc going through a window or door and damn if it doesn't explode on me when i throw it. This has happened a few times while being the last one standing and it's embarrassing because you know everyone saw it. LOL

kubus

Can someone tell me if this is correct? Any mission that doesn't outright say "#% Population Risk" can be ignored as the only thing they're good for is increasing clan members?

I've been using "downs using [weapon]" and "mark enemies" so far for these but I get the feeling I'm better off choosing something impossible for these missions and save the easier objectives for the real population risk missions. I don't care about clan numbers, I just wanna get to the end without worrying.

andycapps

But isn't the argument that people who rage quit are still able to progress a day and thus move through levels more quickly than those who persist through the match? That's what I'm referring to as being an "advantage" for those who quit out early.

Closing the application is good for people who only carely solely about their KDR. If people want to just gain levels, they can just quit the match and move to the next day (I think).

Depends. If you close the application there's no penalty, but if you just leave the game there's a pretty severe penalty and you can lose a lot of your clan.

Superflat

Depends. If you close the application there's no penalty, but if you just leave the game there's a pretty severe penalty and you can lose a lot of your clan.

As long as it doesn't make you lose all your clan members, I don't think people with the single-minded focus of preserving a K/D ratio and getting high levels will care too much about that.

Can someone tell me if this is correct? Any mission that doesn't outright say "#% Population Risk" can be ignored as the only thing they're good for is increasing clan members?

I've been using "downs using [weapon]" and "mark enemies" so far for these but I get the feeling I'm better off choosing something impossible for these missions and save the easier objectives for the real population risk missions. I don't care about clan numbers, I just wanna get to the end without worrying.

I just choose a fairly difficult mission that I may or may not get done for the regular no-risk missions, so if I get it, great -- but if I don't, no skin off my back. Stuff like "kills with a molotov/shiv", where it's not something I can do consistently.

I just want the meta game to be as hands off as possible with my online matches (but I obviously still care somewhat because I equip Collector 2 so I can get more supplies/clan members, lol).

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Welp, just got kicked out of a match with 15 seconds left. I had well over the amount of supplies I needed.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

You miss a fedora or two. Max population (for PS3) is 115 for all hat unlocks. But when the game starts wanting 80+ junk per match to get an increase, it's pointless to care since the rest of your team has to be idiots, the enemies have to be idiots, and you have to be extremely good to reach that amount of junk per match unless you're getting a shit ton of parts.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

5yMrR.gif

TyrantII

This is my biggest gripe too. It shouldn't take more than 2 shots for a downed person to be finished, especially in a game with limited resources.

Shooting a downed person is balanced against special executing them. I like the trade offs depending on the situation.

Plus a headshot will instant kill them anyways with anything but the 9mm.

andycapps

As long as it doesn't make you lose all your clan members, I don't think people with the single-minded focus of preserving a K/D ratio and getting high levels will care too much about that.

That is true. The only way to discourage that would be other behavior like making them wait a few minutes to search for a new match.

I actually stuck it out when it was only me and one other guy playing against 4 on the other team when our teammates quit and the game didn't add anyone else. Sucked but I went 6 and 6 even being outnumbered that badly. He went something like 1-9 though.

Playing survivors is so annoying when the other team has people quit to the point you play against one or two people. Screwed if you quit, screwed if you play.

BadHand

The bow is fine. It downs in two shots. So does the hunting rifle. Hunting rifle has 'more' range (scope makes it easier to kill at long range, no arc). Bow has better close quarters game. Bow = 3 lp, hunting rifle = 2. Bow is silent, but draw speed is slow. Bow fires in succession faster than hunting rifle, but you can unscope with hunting rifle, whereas bows draw speed hinders unscoping. This matters because of movement speed while scoped.

9mm requires 5 hits to down but costs 0 lp. Also fires quickly, and quick to scope. Revolver = 3 shots to down. Slower fire. 0 lp.

Personally I admit the bow is good. I use the hunting rifle 99% of the time in my classes though. If teammates run off, thats more of a problem with their playstyle. I know people who run bow and stick with the team.

Bow is not OP.

What I'm saying is it doesn't make sense that an arrow is more than twice as damaging than a bullet, regardless if it came from a handgun or not. These are your bog-standard post-apocalypse grunts running around with basic weapons that are cobbled together with broken bits of scissor and sticky tape - yet, give them a bow and arrow and they turn into Legolas.

What your talking about is the bow being balanced in contrast to the other weapons (which makes sense), rather than arguing it not being over powered or not. It's just a matter of getting used to the damage points assigned to each weapon, in the beginning, if I go up behind a person and put a shorty or revolver to the back of their head I don't expect them to turn around and down me with an arrow to the torso.

andycapps

What I'm saying is it doesn't make sense that an arrow is more than twice as damaging than a bullet, regardless if it came from a handgun or not. These are your bog-standard post-apocalypse grunts running around with basic weapons that are cobbled together with broken bits of scissor and sticky tape - yet, give them a bow and arrow and they turn into Legolas.

What your talking about is the bow being balanced in contrast to the other weapons (which makes sense), rather than arguing it not being over powered or not. It's just a matter of getting used to the damage points assigned to each weapon, in the beginning, if I go up behind a person and put a shorty or revolver to the back of their head I don't expect them to turn around and down me with an arrow to the torso.

One arrow to the torso won't take anyone down unless your health is at about half. If you come up behind someone and you have a shorty at point blank range, and they take you out with a bow, then that's an issue with you and not the weapon balancing.

The bow takes two shots to torso to take someone down. Same as hunting rifle. Hunting rifle doesn't have range drop off. They both can take someone down with a headshot in one shot. I don't see what everyone's problem is with the bow. It's a high risk, high reward weapon. If you're good at it, you can do pretty well, same with anything else in the game.

BadHand

One arrow to the torso won't take anyone down unless your health is at about half. If you come up behind someone and you have a shorty at point blank range, and they take you out with a bow, then that's an issue with you and not the weapon balancing.

The bow takes two shots to torso to take someone down. Same as hunting rifle. Hunting rifle doesn't have range drop off. They both can take someone down with a headshot in one shot. I don't see what everyone's problem is with the bow. It's a high risk, high reward weapon. If you're good at it, you can do pretty well, same with anything else in the game.

Headshots are not instant death with revolvers or shortys but they are with arrows. Doesn't make sense.

It doesn't seem high risk when the entire match is compromised of expert archers and nothing else. And I've done it, I had my fun with the bow, but the fun wears very thin quickly.

Top Bottom