• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Remnant |OT| of DON'T LISTEN TO REVIEWERS!

Aeana

chespace said:
Where's the "dominator" monster?

The guild says he's in Blackdale, but nope.

It's a rare spawn. I had a heck of a time getting it to spawn, and then I got wiped out when I did. :(

Chrange

Banned
IGN said:
However, it does have serious limitations. The fact that you're not giving direct commands and only get a choice of a few general options can be amazingly frustrating. If you choose to heal, The Last Remnant might not pick the target that needs it the most. Sometimes it didn't give me the option to heal at all when I wanted to. Not having complete control over your unions speeds up the process of fighting smaller battles, but made me despise the game during tough fights.

You can always, in my experience, heal if you've taken any damage at all - and usually if another union has taken damage...IF YOU HAVE CHARACTERS THAT CAN USE HEALING.

I'm guessing IGN GENIUS put together a union that didn't include anyone able to use any form of restoration. And not being able to choose the right target gets a big WTF from me.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I just had unions healing other unions in this boss fight (WHICH I LOST GODDAMMIT!) so, I have no idea what that guy is talking about. Really a shame some people are using that review to make decisions.
Okay, I am putting in McLady this time and hopefully I will win!

Macstorm

It depends on morale, I guess, because you cannot always heal if you've taken damage... even if you have healers in your union.

EDIT: But like rk said, other unions can heal... if they're not dead or engaged... or will die if you disengage or in need of healing themselves.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I just had a union set to heal and it was locked with a nearly dead enemy union.
It attacked, killing the enemy, then had two characters set to heal. One healed, restoring the party full and the next got a "RETHINK" message and then passed on healing to save stuff and AP. Totally awesome!
Game isn't dumb at all!

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Holy shit, I'm on the southwest backroads area and just linked 5 enemy unions in an encounter and now I'm facing 7 groups of enemies, totally 16 units each.

I am fucked!

I will win.

Llyranor

Yeah, I'm pretty sold on this based on overwhelmingly positive impressions of the gameplay, which really sounds like it's something that'd appeal to me. Still waiting on PS3 details re: dual-audio and performance (not crossing fingers over latter, though if it allows installing, that might be better, since I have very little space on my 360).

Now that more people are playing it, can other people comment on what they think about
1) The pacing of the battles
2) The pacing of the dungeons
3) How much grind is actually required (though it seems like it's easily avoidable and most people are just doing it for the fun of the combat)

Cheers.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Your mother.

Your mother is a disaster.

They were too busy learning your mother to learn how to use UE3.

Your mother is sloppy at best.
well this is obviously not a good way to make this game appealing to more rpg gamers being mislead by the reviews

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jonsoncao said:
well this is obviously not a good way to make this game appealing to more rpg gamers being mislead by the reviews
I am raising the level of discourse in the media about TLR!

Really, the GameTrailers review is all you need to see.

RevenantKioku

TAKE THAT YOU FIREY FUCK!

I'd say the battles tend to go along smoothly, although boss fights can be TENSE.
The dungeons tend to have a good number of enemies as well.
Dunno about grinding, but I died to a boss, changed up my unions and then had a better chance the next time. So while I can't say anything definite, it's not just a case of you only need to have your stats high to win.

Y2Kev

RevenantKioku said:
TAKE THAT YOU FIREY FUCK!

I'd say the battles tend to go along smoothly, although boss fights can be TENSE.
The dungeons tend to have a good number of enemies as well.
Dunno about grinding, but I died to a boss, changed up my unions and then had a better chance the next time. So while I can't say anything definite, it's not just a case of you only need to have your stats high to win.
If you're talking about the idol, I did the same thing. Died once, changed tactics, and then wiped the floor with him. I think the battles are so intense...they are frequently very close.

alanias

IGN said:
By completing side-quests you can unlock new leaders to add to the mix offering even more customization options.And then the game designers rendered this setup rather pointless. Near the start of the game you get five leaders plus your main character. By the end, you can only have six in the active party at once. And, of course, the six you start with are the main side-characters in the game that can do things like limit breaks and offer unique powers. The entire idea of swapping them out for lesser leaders is just pointless. The game then becomes a matter of filling out your unions with lame, generic soldiers which can just be recruited by paying a small fee. There is absolutely no reason to care about anybody other than the group you start with.

Is this part true? The optional leaders sound really cool, I would hate for them to be useless in practice.

Aeana

The Great Sand Sea is so ridiculously large. Wow.

alanias said:
Is this part true? The optional leaders sound really cool, I would hate for them to be useless in practice.

I find some of the optional leaders to be ridiculously good -- moreso than the actual storyline ones. Baulson and McGrady, for instance, are way better than anybody I have.

Matchew

I was thinking of buying TLR or Infinite undiscovery. To those that have played both what would you recommed as far as storyline and gameplay.

SFGamer said:
I was thinking of buying TLR or Infinite undiscovery. To those that have played both what would you recommed as far as storyline and gameplay.

While I haven't played TLR yet, I CAN tell you that IU's story, or lack there of, made me quit half way through

I can also certainly tell TLR has WAAAY better VA that IU too....

zoku88

So how is this game (preferably not from Rev)? Im thinking about getting it for PC or PS3 if/when it comes out for them.

MrDaravon

SFGamer said:

I can't speak for TLR, but I just finished Infinite Undiscovery, and the game is almost completely a fucking joke. I only finished it because I was pissed I paid full price for it. Except for most of the combat and the soundtrack, the game is pretty shitty, I already did an enormous rant on it. And I like some shiiiiity games too. You could make an argument for the gameplay in IU, but the story is laughable.

alanias

SFGamer said:
I can't say I've played both, but a big question is do you prefer turn-based or real time battles? I played IU and couldn't get into it, but I didn't like the real time battle system, I always prefer turn based.

Matchew

alanias said:
I can't say I've played both, but a big question is do you prefer turn-based or real time battles? I played IU and couldn't get into it, but I didn't like the real time battle system, I always prefer turn based.

I prefer turn based. Reading the thread it sounds like TLR storyline is shit. To someone that as played more then 10 hours does the story get better or not. Thanks for the replys I dont think I will be getting IU.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
SailorDaravon said:
I can't speak for TLR, but I just finished Infinite Undiscovery, and the game is almost completely a fucking joke. I only finished it because I was pissed I paid full price for it. Except for most of the combat and the soundtrack, the game is pretty shitty, I already did an enormous rant on it. And I like some shiiiiity games too. You could make an argument for the gameplay in IU, but the story is laughable.
The whole game is shite. I'm playing Star Ocean 3 (yeah, still) and it shits all over IU in terms of customization, battle system and depth... well it shits on it from such high place when it comes to gameplay that I think even tri-Ace must feel fuck embarrassed with IU. VP2 is another highly customizable game, playing other tri-Ace games and you can't tell how shitty IU actually is.

Story being ass doesn't mean anything to me, but IU failed in the gameplay department. There's no way I can forgive that, specially given that I love the crap out of tri-Ace games.

Phloxy

dumb question alert, but, how do you increase the leaders you can have in a party? I'm stuck with 3 right now and I'd really love the fourth.

Aeana

Phloxy said:
dumb question alert, but, how do you increase the leaders you can have in a party? I'm stuck with 3 right now and I'd really love the fourth.

Progress the main story. The limit is increased after certain events.

Brofist

zoku88 said:
So how is this game (preferably not from Rev)? Im thinking about getting it for PC or PS3 if/when it comes out for them.

I haven't really played enough to give a decent opinion, but the poster with the most objective impressions of the game is probably Zefah. Track down his comments in the earlier pages.

RevenantKioku

zoku88 said:
Well first, thanks, but uh, ignore the rest of the thread much? Christ.

Aeana said:
This is pretty much what I was thinking earlier today. :\

I'm so tired of graphics dorks who are unable to appreciate any game because of minor things like texture pop-in and occasional slowdown during uninteractive sequences.

Besides the squad based battle system, this game doesn't really seem "risky" in any way...all the characters I see seem lifted from other games, and the plot feels cliche. So tell me again why a lackluster RPG deserves my support...or is this another case of "Infinite Undiscovery" hype leading to later disappointment? At least the FF games are actually awesome in each incarnation.

RevenantKioku

Death_Born said:
Besides the squad based battle system, this game doesn't really seem "risky" in any way...all the characters I see seem lifted from other games, and the plot feels cliche. So tell me again why a lackluster RPG deserves my support...or is this another case of "Infinite Undiscovery" hype leading to later disappointment? At least the FF games are actually awesome in each incarnation.
Besides the entire battle system being awesome, uh what's there to comment on? Some may enjoy the story, some may not. The game is fun to play. What more do you want?

zoku88 said:
Because I'm sure you read through ever in every thread...

Well, I haven't gotten the game yet, but two of the posters I respect most on the board are saying this is one of the best turn based games released, and is an excellent game.

Search for Aeana and ethelred's posts.

Diablos

I'm taking IGN's review with a grain of salt.

Technical issues aside, the game really does look interesting from what I've seen, and outside of the mainstream gaming press I am noticing a good amount of praise.

It has to be better than Infinite Undiscovery.

zoku88

Dragona Akehi said:
Well, I haven't gotten the game yet, but two of the posters I respect most on the board are saying this is one of the best turn based games released, and is an excellent game.

Search for Aeana and ethelred's posts.
Thanks, I already read Zefah's posts (who seems to go into detail) but I'll skim through theirs

Would ppl playing this game agree that everything else is good except the story? To ppl who are almost done (i know there are some crazy gaffers who finish games in no time) tell me if it (the story) gets better?

ethelred

Death_Born said:

Are you illiterate, or do you just have trouble thinking through kinda complicated stuff? I really don't mean this to be offensive -- I'm just trying to figure out how to approach someone with your sorts of issues, given that you've seemingly missed just about everything that's been said about the game so far. Help me help you.

First of all, no, this isn't a case of Infinite Undiscovery hype. People hyped that up beforehand. It came out, people were very disappointed. In case you hadn't checked a calendar or read what's going on here, Last Remnant is out -- people are playing it. They're not forming misguided hype-based preconceptions; they're playing it, enjoying it, and explaining why it's a good game.

Second, it's not a lacklustre RPG. That's sort of the entire point of what people are saying here. It's a great RPG that has a few pretty inconsequential technical issues, and it isn't alone in that regard, as most of the critically acclaimed RPGs this gen (including the ones from westerners) are also plagued by tons of bugs and graphical issues. Fallout? Fable? Mass Effect? Each and every one of them.

And third, I love how in questioning the game's risk, you elide away the entire battle system (and ignore the rest of the gameplay entirely). Yeah, if you're looking for War & Peace in game form, this ain't it. It's a video game, though. It's got fantastic gameplay (taking into account the very strategic formation system, the squad-based commands, the freeform class system, and so on). And it's got great dungeons, a gazillion quests, lots of recruitable characters, and offers a challenge. Are those not all reasons enough to try a game or establish it as a development risk? Or are unique characters the only worthwhile feature?

Diablos

ethelred said:
Are you illiterate, or do you just have trouble thinking through kinda complicated stuff? I really don't mean this to be offensive -- I'm just trying to figure out how to approach someone with your sorts of issues, given that you've seemingly missed just about everything that's been said about the game so far. Help me help you.

First of all, no, this isn't a case of Infinite Undiscovery hype. People hyped that up beforehand. It came out, people were very disappointed. In case you hadn't checked a calendar or read what's going on here, Last Remnant is out -- people are playing it. They're not forming misguided hype-based preconceptions; they're playing it, enjoying it, and explaining why it's a good game.

Second, it's not a lacklustre RPG. That's sort of the entire point of what people are saying here. It's a great RPG that has a few pretty inconsequential technical issues, and it isn't alone in that regard, as most of the critically acclaimed RPGs this gen (including the ones from westerners) are also plagued by tons of bugs and graphical issues. Fallout? Fable? Mass Effect? Each and every one of them.

And third, I love how in questioning the game's risk, you elide away the entire battle system (and ignore the rest of the gameplay entirely). Yeah, if you're looking for War & Peace in game form, this ain't it. It's a video game, though. It's got fantastic gameplay (taking into account the very strategic formation system, the squad-based commands, the freeform class system, and so on). And it's got great dungeons, a gazillion quests, lots of recruitable characters, and offers a challenge. Are those not all reasons enough to try a game or establish it as a development risk? Or are unique characters the only worthwhile feature?
This is what I'm talking about.

ethelred said:

Hmm...good point.

But, uh, I wasn't planning on buying any RPGs anyway. I have way too many in my backlog. It sounds better than a 5.3 though, giving it that low of a score suggests it's a buggy piece of crap, when it obviously isn't.

zoku88

Death_Born said:
Hmm...good point.

But, uh, I wasn't planning on buying any RPGs anyway. I have way too many in my backlog. It sounds better than a 5.3 though, giving it that low of a score suggests it's a buggy piece of crap, when it obviously isn't.

That's why you really shouldn't pay attn to review scores :-/

Personally, I don't think scores should even be given in reviews

sciplore

Wait ethelred you like this game? really? Wow now all I need is bebpo and duckrolls cross review and I might just be swayed. :p

Seriously though that gametrailer review sold me I will be picking this up sometime this week.

Shouta

Aeana said:
Are you sure? 5.3, man.

5.3 would be less worrying than the fact it was made by the SaGa team! However, it seems like they manage to make a game that doesn't require you to be insane or some kind of telepath so you can read the programmer's minds.

Aeana

Shouta said:
5.3 would be less worrying than the fact it was made by the SaGa team! However, it seems like they manage to make a game that doesn't require you to be insane or some kind of telepath so you can read the programmer's minds.

Well, I really strongly dislike SaGa games. I find that TLR doesn't include many of the aspects of SaGa that I dislike, and what is there is far more manageable.

Shouta

Aeana said:
Well, I really strongly dislike SaGa games. I find that TLR doesn't include many of the aspects of SaGa that I dislike, and what is there is far more manageable.

Hence my however sentence. :lol

alanias

Aeana said:

That's reassuring. I've always felt that the SaGa games are really interesting/unique but no fun to play. I tried to like Romancing SaGa and even got halfway through Saga Frontier 2... but they were just really obtuse, almost on purpose.

Do the sidequests in TLR have story/narrative to them or are they just more optional fights?

Y2Kev

I dislike SaGa too and I find this much better. Romancing SaGa was too much for me, but TLR has only hints of SaGa-- mainly that sometimes you can be a little lost. It's easier to find out where you are going than it is in SaGa though.

Top Bottom