• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Remnant |OT| of DON'T LISTEN TO REVIEWERS!

KTallguy

Banned
I don't have a HDD for my 360 so no install for me :(
Sooo, I'm waiting for a PS3 port, praying to god that they can make it run well.

I beat Mirror's Edge this weekend and it was amazing. That's the best UE3 game I've ever seen, really. Even better looking than Bioshock to me (to be fair, there's far less environmental detail).

Blimblim

The Inside Track
supermackem said:
Im somewhat of an jrpg noob having only really got into them this gen, ive completed all the big ones on 360 so far, im loving the look of this one just one thing is holding me back getting it. This battle system seems really complicated, im use to turn based party of five type system that seems to be the norm is this system far removed from that or just based on that with more people in play.
I'm about as much a jRPG noob as you (only played FFX and Chrono Trigger before this generation, basically), and TLR's battle system isn't a problem at all. Go ahead and get this game, I doubt you'll regret it :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So far this game's story is just abyssmal. So much is just left out and its as if the makers just expect players to understand what is going on as if this is already some well established series / game universe. The way the plot develops is just really jerky so far. I have found myself thinking "What the hell just happened? Why?" on many occasions. Not only does it make little sense, but it is just bad an cliched so far. There are a few aspects that look like they might be interesting if explored deeper, but so far nothing of interest has really happened. I am about 12 hours in as well (Battle Rank is around 22).

I really hope the story gets better because I am finding it very difficult to care about the characters and the game world itself. This whole business with Remnants and making "contracts" (playing the Japanese version so I am not sure what English word is being used) hasn't been explained at all which is disappointing considering Remnants are obviously integral to the game world.

I really hope the story gets better, because right now all I am enjoying it the battles. Luckily the battles are entertaining enough to keep me playing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
KTallguy said:
I don't have a HDD for my 360 so no install for me :(
Sooo, I'm waiting for a PS3 port, praying to god that they can make it run well.

I beat Mirror's Edge this weekend and it was amazing. That's the best UE3 game I've ever seen, really. Even better looking than Bioshock to me (to be fair, there's far less environmental detail).

Mirror's Edge is an amazing technical achievement. It is the only UE3 game that looks completely unique. I was very surprised to learn that it was running on UE3. Nothing from what I saw in the demo resembled what we have come to expect from UE3 games.

If you don't have a hard drive you should probably pass on the game. Hopefully they will clean it up a bit for the PS3 version. Even if they don't, at least they can require an install on the PS3.

Zefah, I'm plating it in Japanese and finding the story passable. Still, I wish we could liberate RPGs from these old feudal settings. If I hear "Yes, my lord!" one more time...

Ok so in Blackdale I got the chain up to 103, and no chain achievement. Sheesh, what gives? How high does it have to go? Also got an entirely new set of monsters to appear but not yet the rare. Are rare monsters random? I stumbled into some brutal monster in the mansion which murdered me. : /

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
adversesolutions said:
Zefah, I'm plating it in Japanese and finding the story passable. Still, I wish we could liberate RPGs from these old feudal settings. If I hear "Yes, my lord!" one more time...

Ok so in Blackdale I got the chain up to 103, and no chain achievement. Sheesh, what gives? How high does it have to go? Also got an entirely new set of monsters to appear but not yet the rare. Are rare monsters random? I stumbled into some brutal monster in the mansion which murdered me. : /

Maybe I am being a bit hard, but it seems particular bad to me. It just seems like too much stuff is going unexplained, and there isn't enough reason given for what is happening. I played through Enchanted Arms, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, all of which didn't have the best of stories, and even compared to them this story seems kind of bad.

I plan on playing Infinite Undiscovery after I finish The Last Remnant, but I have heard some bad things about that game's story as well.

I do agree with that "Yes, my lord!" line. That shit needs to go in the Japanese version... really. I cringe every time I hear it.

Blimblim said:
Chain achievement is for 200.
Edit: Was that monster the
Fatalclaw?

Didn't get the name. It looked like a slime from dragonquest or something.
Killed me quick, but I only had three party members so...

Zefah, yeah I dunno...what specifically feels unresolved to you?
I'm more comparing this game to FF12 which had a straight up awful story IMO and so far it's just average. I like the idea of
the academy and what it's up to

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow I just hit a brick wall in terms of difficulty. The game has been fairly challenging but not too difficult up until now, but this next main story battle is impossible at my current level. I'm at the part (which apparently is near the end of the first disc) where you have to assist the country near Athlum and take out some generals from The Conqueror's army. I haven't had any trouble up until now, but this battle is just impossible unless I go and level up. I checked on GameFAQS and some other Japanese strategy sites and they all recommend to have your battle rank around 40-50 before going into the battle. Mine is currently 28!

I guess some of the reviewers were right about needing to grind. I have actually been going out of my way to clear the whole map of every location I go to and I have even redone a few locations, but I guess that isn't nearly enough grinding. Oh well, I guess I'll go farm a few old dungeons for hours until I'm strong enough to beat this next encounter.

Spoo

I just picked this game up. I'm only about 4 or 5 hours in, but so far it's pretty good. The technical problems are obvious, but they haven't bothered me too much -- I was well prepared for them thanks to the reviews, etc.

The battle system is the best thing about it (the story is... well, so far, absent), and there seems to be a lot of depth to it.

I just took some subquest at the pub and got schooled though -- is there a way to hire more guys? I hired a leader, but it didn't seem like I could get any grunts at the guild. Died pretty fast :\

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Metalic Sand said:
Is there ever going to be a demo for this? 360.

It would be a really bad idea for them to release a demo I think.

The game is a ton of fun to play, but it doesn't make a damn bit of sense for the first hour or two or even more. It takes a while to get used to the battle system, but once it clicks the gameplay is very satisfying.

A demo would just leave people confused and expose the technical problems of the game. I doubt it would win them any sales.

Ricker

Spoo said:
I just picked this game up. I'm only about 4 or 5 hours in, but so far it's pretty good. The technical problems are obvious, but they haven't bothered me too much -- I was well prepared for them thanks to the reviews, etc.

The battle system is the best thing about it (the story is... well, so far, absent), and there seems to be a lot of depth to it.

I just took some subquest at the pub and got schooled though -- is there a way to hire more guys? I hired a leader, but it didn't seem like I could get any grunts at the guild. Died pretty fast :\

This is where I got stuck also...you have to go in the menu,after you get your extra leader and figure out how to add him with Skykes,so both of you are together.I found this out after going in the guild menu to try and change the formation,where you have 3 position you can put the leaders in that square and then I did something else and the game would not let me get out of the menu and back to the game.I wound up disbanding everything.

Then I had to re create a new Union,it made me understand that menu better...at one point you need to confirm the union and members by clicking the greyed out "skip" button.Finally got it right,had Sykes and the guy I got at the guild in the same party and with the guest union,I was able to beat that quest easily.

Right now I have 1 union with 3 members only,i'm doing fine with this so far but i'm not that far in still,trying to figure out on to unlock Blackdale on the world map,because that's where I need to go for some guild tasks and I have no other quests.

Neil

I have mixed feelings on this game.
The loading times PISS me off. I've not installed the game yet, still need to upgrade to NXE but will do that tonight and then install, hopefully that will speed things up. It gets some major slowdown during battles, and the textures take a while to materialise on the screen.

I also don't like the whole union deal, or more so that I can only have x amount of leaders at a time. I'd much rather have all of the main characters together, instead of having to use all the minion people with no background to them.

I do like the fights in general though, I like how they're sort of similar to Lost Odyssey, IE you pick your commands and then watch it all unfold - Beautiful, and they're very large scale, even early on in the game.

Not quite sure what to think on the levelling system, I'm very old school... I like to level up by levels, or at least have something to work with (Sphere grid, for example) so I have a degree of control. It all seems a bit random, thus I find myself grinding to get an odd HP boost or 2.

Question: My teammates are more than happy to take their part of the loot, but they don't actually do anything with it? How do you get them to customise their equipment?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Considering this system of leveling up stats dates back to 1988, your old school mindset should be just fine with it!

alanias

So, as someone who was super hyped by IU but dissapointed by it, do you think I'd like Last Remnant? I love turn based RPGs, but I often feel overwhelmed by too much openness. Still on the fence about this one, especially since the story is apparently pretty meh.

alanias said:
Still on the fence about this one, especially since the story is apparently pretty meh.

You know, I hate to say it but I think I've not played but one japanese rpg within the last few years that didn't have the stigma of having a "meh" storyline.

Blue Dragon, check!
Lost Odyssey, Check!
Infinite Undiscovery, CHECK!

Yet I enjoyed these games and the stories were not amazing, but decent enough. I'd just check the game out and see if the story or settings grasp you enough. So far I'm digging the game.

I'm only at Celapaleis, but I'm enjoying the game so far. The only problem I have is that the font is somewhat hard to read on my SDTV, but its not as bad as Dead Rising/Viva Pinata.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm still trying to say "Elysion" as "illusion" :lol

What a great game...I spent like two hours or so before just battling.

If and when a patch is released, can someone update the thread title? Im holding off right now hoping to play a smoother (cheaper) version and would hate to miss the news that a patch hit because i really want to play it.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
There really is hardly anything wrong with the game if you're playing it with it installed.

KillJade

Banned
Zefah said:
So far this game's story is just abyssmal. So much is just left out and its as if the makers just expect players to understand what is going on as if this is already some well established series / game universe. The way the plot develops is just really jerky so far. I have found myself thinking "What the hell just happened? Why?" on many occasions. Not only does it make little sense, but it is just bad an cliched so far. There are a few aspects that look like they might be interesting if explored deeper, but so far nothing of interest has really happened. I am about 12 hours in as well (Battle Rank is around 22).

I really hope the story gets better because I am finding it very difficult to care about the characters and the game world itself. This whole business with Remnants and making "contracts" (playing the Japanese version so I am not sure what English word is being used) hasn't been explained at all which is disappointing considering Remnants are obviously integral to the game world.

I really hope the story gets better, because right now all I am enjoying it the battles. Luckily the battles are entertaining enough to keep me playing.

+1. I agree completely.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
RevenantKioku said:
There really is hardly anything wrong with the game if you're playing it with it installed.

Wow, that's quite the statement, I guess it's a good thing the install feature came out now then?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
RevenantKioku said:

Yeah the texture loading problems are no worse than Mass Effect when installed and the load times are very quick. The framerate in battles is also vastly improved when the game is installed. Just free up 6gb of space and install the game. I doubt a patch will ever be released, and even if one was I doubt all of the technical problems associated with running the game off the DVD could be fixed.

RevenantKioku

Suikoguy said:
Wow, that's quite the statement, I guess it's a good thing the install feature came out now then?
I have heard some people talking about rocks popping up in battle or something, but nothing has bothered me so far. My one complaint is that those hints between load screens just look silly. No one wants to see those things.

イエス、マイロード!
Totally should play a drinking game with the YES MY LORD stuff.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
RevenantKioku said:
I have heard some people talking about rocks popping up in battle or something, but nothing has bothered me so far. My one complaint is that those hints between load screens just look silly. No one wants to see those things.

イエス、マイロード!
Totally should play a drinking game with the YES MY LORD stuff.

Yeah, they really shouldn't have gone with that loading screen. If they just had a black screen with a small "Now Loading" message in the bottom-right, then I think the loading screens would have been a lot less noticable. The big ugly green backdrop with a screen full of "hint" text really makes the load times seem a lot longer than they are.

That "Yes My Lord" stuff is so awkward in the Japanese version. I literally cringe every time I hear it. It is even worse because it is always so obvious when they are about to say it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't have a problem with texture loading since textures load reaaaally quickly once you have it installed (faster than Mass Effect for sure), but I don't think the framerate is all that good still-- I really am concerned for the framerate on a non-installed copy is this is "vastly improved." In some really hectic battles the framerate is basically a slideshow. This doesn't hamper my enjoyment of the gameplay much at all (except for when the slowdowns throw off the critical triggers....), but it does make me a little motion sick when the framerate REALLY tanks...so far that's only happened in the
Dillmore boss battle.

I don't think the technical problems are worth discounting the game for.

What's amazing to me is how beautiful and smooth the town sequences are. Absolutely perfect framerate and beautiful.

mintylurb

duckroll said:
I wanna play this....... :(

3 more days.... :(

I don't want a fucking t-shirt. -_-
Aww poor ducky ;<

Oh, look what just arrived from amazon! So..pretty..
TLR.jpg

Aeana

Wow, hexes are kind of amazing. I just got access to soldiers with them, and they do 1000+ damage to every enemy in the enemy union (each, so 3 enemies = 3000+ damage), and give negative status effects. That's better than any other attack I have. :eek:

RevenantKioku

Maybe I missed the explanation, but what exactly is the CHAIN and how it works?

Aeana

RevenantKioku said:
Maybe I missed the explanation, but what exactly is the CHAIN and how it works?

The chain count goes up every time you defeat an enemy. The higher the chain, the better the chance is that your abilities will grow after battle.

Aeana

RevenantKioku said:
What resets it then? Leaving the dungeon?

When you leave, if a union is wiped out, if you are attacked by an enemy (and don't get the advantage), and maybe a few other things I don't remember.

RevenantKioku

Lawl, reading the review that guy is a joke.
"The save system is bad because I am paranoid! Wah, wah!"
Lord, this is painful to read. I can't believe this joker gets paid for this shit. I mean, fuck, is that all it takes to get into the business? I can write bullshit about games for money!

Aeana

5.0 for gameplay? Jeez. Does the reviewer even like RPGs?

The reader average on the sidebar there is much more accurate. :\

Aeana

KTallguy said:
I hear there are hour long battles and you can't save. Is that a lie ?

You can't save in battles. But battles do not last an hour. Not even close. The longest battle I've been in so far couldn't have been any longer than 10 minutes.

Aeana said:
You can't save in battles. But battles do not last an hour. Not even close. The longest battle I've been in so far couldn't have been any longer than 10 minutes.

Near the end of the game there are two gigantic battles that could last an hour that you cannot save in between. Or so i read in a review.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
RevenantKioku said:

This.

I've been playing the game uninstalled on and off at the office today and yeah, I can see how the slowdown and texture loading can be a real bear.

It's still quite playable, but installing to HDD is night and day.

I love the battle system. I'm still learning new strategies.

I just took down my first Tornado (that huge ass bird that sits at Dillmoor as a random encounter). So fucking hard. Got pwnt like 3 or 4 times before I hung in there.

When I won, half my party was KO'ed. :p

I'm at Elysion but just been grinding and running around. Sooo fun.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, lots of the reviews trickling in are ridiculous. I guess JRPGs are officially the genre to hate in the west. The game is really quite good*. There are plenty of faults, but it is definitely a quality game that deserves a solid 7 - 8 on a scale of 10. These reviewers giving it the same score that they give to shitty movie-tie-in games are just crazy. Anyone who actually puts a few hours into the game should at least be able to recognize that the gameplay, especially the battle system is really quite good.

* : When the game is installed to the hard drive. It is virtually unplayable off the DVD.

Top Bottom