• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Remnant |OT| of DON'T LISTEN TO REVIEWERS!

Kyoufu

So, what is grinding like in this game? I enjoy my RPG battle systems, I want to fight lots of battles. Will this game tire me or does the battle system have legs?

Chrange

Banned
Kyoufu said:
So, what is grinding like in this game? I enjoy my RPG battle systems, I want to fight lots of battles. Will this game tire me or does the battle system have legs?

Well, I couldn't tell you what the storyline is like because I've been repeatedly grinding in one or two areas trying to spawn the rare mobs - then dying to them and going back to grinding. I'll kill them one day!

Haha holy fuck. I just stumbled upon this game's 45 other save slots. Being a saving whore I was sorely disappointed having to juggle my saves with only 5 slots.

This game is really really good btw.

so for someone who doesn't give a crap about technical issues
i take it this game is worth a buy?
anywhere i can get it for a good price in the UK?

KTallguy

Banned
Y2Kev said:
negative 1up review incoming

Really ?

I also think that games with severe loading and framerate issues should be left in the oven a bit longer, personally. That includes games like Fable 2 and Mass Effect (ugh).

Turn based games don't suffer from these issues as much, but man, what ever happened to 60 fps?

Kyoufu

KTallguy said:
Really ?

I also think that games with severe loading and framerate issues should be left in the oven a bit longer, personally. That includes games like Fable 2 and Mass Effect (ugh).

Mass Effect didn't have "severe" loading/framerate issues. It wasn't the most polished game technically but I never thought to myself "ugh".

KTallguy

Banned
I'm biased on Mass Effect, as couldn't get into the actual game at all. I keep meaning to try again though.

But I didn't like the tearing, framerate issues in combat, texture loading problems, and long elevator rides from the limited time I spent with it.

GameTrailers had a pretty interesting review and after seeing how it looked in action, I think I could bear the graphical issues, which better be fixed or something in the PS3 version.

As well as, IGN seemed excessively negative. Is it really that bad and unoriginal? And are voices missing from most parts of the dialogue?

Ravidrath

The GT review made me want to give this game a shot. I guess I'll wait for the PS3 version to see if it fares any better, but the game is Unreal, so I'm not expecting anything.

I have been playing since Friday and am loving TLR. Slowdown really hasn't been much of an issue (maybe I just don't notice it anymore), but the pop in during battle can be annoying.

So far I have had quite a few epic battles with bosses, quest bosses and the rare guild quest monsters. I am starting to get worried that my battle rank is a little high at this point in the game, but the quests are too addictive to stop.

DedicationThroughLight said:
GameTrailers had a pretty interesting review and after seeing how it looked in action, I think I could bear the graphical issues, which better be fixed or something in the PS3 version.

I was surprised with how positive the Gametrailers review was and i was actually going to buy it. Then 1UP.FM slagged it hard and now I'm confused and filled with anxiety...

...someone tell me what to do, plez.

bigdaddygamebot said:
I was surprised with how positive the Gametrailers review was and i was actually going to buy it. Then 1UP.FM slagged it hard and now I'm confused and filled with anxiety...

...someone tell me what to do, plez.

It really just depends on how willing you are to look past the technical issues. Aside from the cosmetic stuff, which really doesn't even affect gameplay, the game is great.

Schopenhauer said:
It really just depends on how willing you are to look past the technical issues. Aside from the cosmetic stuff, which really doesn't even affect gameplay, the game is great.

Sooooo the texture pop...

Comparable to the texture problems Mass Effect had?

More frequent...less...similar?

More jarring...less...similar?

I'm not that concerned about framerate issues.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Sooooo the texture pop...

Comparable to the texture problems Mass Effect had?

More frequent...less...similar?

More jarring...less...similar?

I'm not that concerned about framerate issues.

It is pretty erratic. Sometimes there won't be much of any pop in and sometimes it will be bad (lasting for 2 or 3 sec). But generally it isn't that bad, probably the same as ME.

Gyoru

More reviews.
- Crave Online: 8.5/10
CraveOnline said:
+1 if you really liked any of the politically charged Suikoden titles and/or the large scale combat of Dragon Force (the Sega Saturn game, not the band)
-1 if you like having more direct control over your units, as in a more traditional RTS game (i.e. you are a huge nerd)
- Cheat Code Central: 3.7/5
CCC said:
For all intents and purposes, The Last Remnant has the makings of a great RPG: the story is engaging and the battle system is tons of fun to play with. And, with a lot of extra missions and side quests, there certainly is a lot of replay potential to this title. However, it seems that all these great aspects are not enough to pull it past its glaring graphical issues. If this title had been left in development just a little longer, then it might have been one of the best RPGs of the current generation. But as it stands, The Last Remnant is a great RPG that is buried under broken graphics and long load times.

Crave said:
+1 if you really liked any of the politically charged Suikoden titles and/or the large scale combat of Dragon Force (the Sega Saturn game, not the band)-1 if you like having more direct control over your units, as in a more traditional RTS game (i.e. you are a huge nerd)

Respect +1

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I'm in the desert and fighting these huge fucking eagle bird things.

How do I protect myself against Curse? I swear, it's the worst shit ever.

I can deal with losing HP. But getting randomly KO'ed in one turn because I'm cursed?

No thanks.

chespace said:

I can deal with losing HP. But getting randomly KO'ed in one turn because I'm cursed?

No thanks.

I am pretty sure hitting them with the silence status effect will keep them from cursing you, well either that or paralyze.

chespace

Schopenhauer said:
I am pretty sure hitting them with the silence status effect will keep them from cursing you, well either that or paralyze.

I don't have any mystic arts or weapons that can silence or paralyze monsters.

Also, to make matters worse, I clearly have characters that can cast "refresh" yet when I get cursed, I am not given the option to do so in the combat menu. Is that retarded or what? I understand the game applies a layer of artificiality to the proceedings, like having some gambits already programmed in for your unions, but c'mon, when I'm cursed, I need to fucking REFRESH. Or else... my characters start keeling over and getting KO'ed on the next turn.

Also, the whole party leader is down so nobody can act rule is fucking lame. I understand what they were going for, but it just doesn't make any sense.

batbeg

Oh my God I love this game. I love it so much. Anyway, I might need a bit of help if anyone has any advice:

I'm fighting the
Gates of Hell boss, and he is handing it to me. I'm able to get in there and kill the minions with minimum damage, and start whoopin' his ass, but eventually he'll kill one of my party members, and that is, of course, the end of that. Because he instantly brings them back to life as minions, who I can not attack. What the hell? :( I got him down to blinking red, but unfortunately my three dead unions decided to bring death upon me :( I've lost three times against him so far. My Battle Rank is something like 48 if that helps at all.

Also, I love Emmy. <3 Though "Grrreat!!" is not the fiercest battle cry :-\

Honestly, I feel my grip slipping. My previous GOTY is falling from grace, and in its place... *bows to TLR* Can't believe I'm still on the first disc, as I've probably poured 30 hours into this by now.

chespace said:
Also, the whole party leader is down so nobody can act rule is fucking lame. I understand what they were going for, but it just doesn't make any sense.

They can act, they just can't accept commands, which means sometimes they don't do anything. As for the birds, run from them. Also run from Imps. Birds and Imps are my two most fucking hated enemies, because of Curse and Cavalry Call II (can't wait to see Cavalry Fuckin' Call III).

chespace said:
I don't have any mystic arts or weapons that can silence or paralyze monsters.

Also, to make matters worse, I clearly have characters that can cast "refresh" yet when I get cursed, I am not given the option to do so in the combat menu. Is that retarded or what? I understand the game applies a layer of artificiality to the proceedings, like having some gambits already programmed in for your unions, but c'mon, when I'm cursed, I need to fucking REFRESH. Or else... my characters start keeling over and getting KO'ed on the next turn.

You definitely can't cure curse using refresh. There doesn't appear to be any means to cure it at the point in the game that I am at. You should be able to recruit a solder that has the Silencer magic art.

You do always have the option of reviving the party leader, and the party can attack without a leader, but can't use arts (from what I can tell anyway).

Aeana said:
It's back to $40 at Amazon.

Whoa, it's back to $60 again. Why does it keep changing? :eek:
According to CAG it'll be $40 again on Black Friday.

Was looking forward to playing this today but UPS bungled the delivery. I'm sad!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I'm about battle rank 12 now. Pulling 4 enemies is a fucking death wish, haha. I was doing some timing last night, though. From the field back to the field, 1 enemy took me about a minute and a few seconds, 2 would take about two minutes plus a little, 3 would take maybe under 4, and 4 would kill me. This was on the Southwest Plains (I think that's what it's called?)
Anyway, that's really not that bad! And I wasn't just yamming A or anything, I was picking my moves.

chespace said:

No thanks.

This is exactly what I was talking about a few pages ago. Yesterday for instance one of my units got down to a mere 39 HP and yet the next turn I did not have a heal option!! The other union had a "save them" option and when I hit that they killed the monsters and it was over with, but what if they missed?? No healing/refresh when you want to is just stupid design.

batbeg

adversesolutions said:
This is exactly what I was talking about a few pages ago. Yesterday for instance one of my units got down to a mere 39 HP and yet the next turn I did not have a heal option!! The other union had a "save them" option and when I hit that they killed the monsters and it was over with, but what if they missed?? No healing/refresh when you want to is just stupid design.

Those aren't the same things at all. Curse is a status infliction which can randomly KO characters, it's not a problem with the healing options.

As for your problems with the healing options, it probably stems from a lack of AP for that turn, or another status infliction (silence). I can't think of having had the problem you're describing so far. Just make sure you have someone in each union that can heal, as obviously not everyone can, and the only time I ever had anything like this was when I put together a union without a healer.

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
How would you rate the voice acting to say... FF12? I really like the english VA in that game (except for the "lead"). Only thing keeping me from buying this is the VA. I was watching clips and I have a feeling the cheesie one liners are a little much for me in English... I hear bikkuri shita / samui 10 hours a day so I don't mind one liners so much in Japanese. I've grown numb to it.

But if those enjoying the game say that the Voice acting during dialogue is top notch that I'll pick up the english version... Hopefully A-Too has a few copies but they had a huge stack of them last weekend so maybe no worries...

chespace

RevenantKioku said:
I'm about battle rank 12 now. Pulling 4 enemies is a fucking death wish, haha. I was doing some timing last night, though. From the field back to the field, 1 enemy took me about a minute and a few seconds, 2 would take about two minutes plus a little, 3 would take maybe under 4, and 4 would kill me. This was on the Southwest Plains (I think that's what it's called?)
Anyway, that's really not that bad! And I wasn't just yamming A or anything, I was picking my moves.

Wat?

You're only battle rank 12? How long have you been playing?

A noob like me and I just went through Southwestern Plains at battle rank 23.

And yet, I am still getting spanked by the random bird at the desert who casts curse on me because I can't use any strategies on it (no silence spells, no way to dispell curse) and because it does multi-deadlocks.

Lame.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kyoufu said:
Mass Effect didn't have "severe" loading/framerate issues. It wasn't the most polished game technically but I never thought to myself "ugh".

Really? I played through Mass Effect three times on the Xbox 360 and there were countless occasions where I thought "ugh". Granted, the option to install the game on the hard drive didn't exist back then, so I am sure performance will improve after an install, but the framerate and texture loading really detracted from the experience. I later played the game on a friend's super-powerful PC and it was a lot more enjoyable.

The Last Remnant, when installed, at least runs as good as Mass Effect did off the DVD.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Remember to check on the Athlum Soldiers Recruitment guy periodically as you progress the story. I just checked for the first time since opening up the ability to recruit soldiers and I found some really powerful guys with abilities that I had never seen before. After recruiting them my unions become a lot more powerful.

I'm probably picking this up this weekend. How large is the install? I'm still rocking my launch 360 with no upgraded HDD (at least not yet...).

I can probably clear to about 11GB... is that even enough? The game is two discs after all.

Aeana

My Arms Your Hearse said:
I'm probably picking this up this weekend. How large is the install? I'm still rocking my launch 360 with no upgraded HDD (at least not yet...).

I can probably clear to about 11GB... is that even enough? The game is two discs after all.

You don't have to install both discs at once. I believe the first disc is 6.1 and the second is 6.7 or thereabout. I managed to fit both on my 20GB with 1GB left over, but I don't really have anything else on it except saves.

Aeana said:
You don't have to install both discs at once. I believe the first disc is 6.1 and the second is 6.7 or thereabout. I managed to fit both on my 20GB with 1GB left over, but I don't really have anything else on it except saves.

I'll probably just do them separately. I have a lot of various map packs that are taking up a few GBs on mine. At any rate, thanks.

Rummy Bunnz said:
According to CAG it'll be $40 again on Black Friday.

Shit yeah! :D

Gonna shop around ebay and score a larger HDD while I'm at it. I could dump Ninja Gaiden Black and free up a ton of space but I don't want to lose my saves. =/

Aeana

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Shit yeah! :D

Gonna shop around ebay and score a larger HDD while I'm at it. I could dump Ninja Gaiden Black and free up a ton of space but I don't want to lose my saves. =/

You can delete the game and leave the saves. I did that. You just have to click on the game in the memory viewer and you'll see your saves and then the game file. Just delete the game file and the saves stay.

chespace

So I keep finding all these magical weapons that I can't equip.

How do I equip other folks in my party?

Aeana

chespace said:
So I keep finding all these magical weapons that I can't equip.

How do I equip other folks in my party?

It seems that if a weapon sits unused in your inventory, party members for whom it is an upgrade might ask if they can have it. This has happened to me on a few occasions.

I have not kept up with this game at all... so sorry for this.

If I liked Blue Dragon, and endured my way through Lost Odyssey would I like this?

Top Bottom