• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Remnant |OT| of DON'T LISTEN TO REVIEWERS!

KTallguy

Banned
I'm worried this is a case of teh GAF hype! :lol

How about the story, is it shit ?

Reader Reviews titled: "This is not as bad as IU" are not encouraging :lol

AgentOtaku said:
5.3 from IGN?

mmm kaaaaay

It was the final straw for me. I will wait. Especially now that I just ordered Tales of vesperia from amazon for only $35.

I pray for a patch. i still really want to play it. Battles look and sound really cool from what i have seen and read.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I know my opinion is generally ruled as insane, but when I have a bunch of people agreeing with me, you have a very good game.
This game is awesome.

It really breaks my heart that some random on IGN can convince people not to buy a game, but a thread of real people having fun will not convince them to buy it.

Aeana

KTallguy said:
I'm worried this is a case of teh GAF hype! :lol

How about the story, is it shit ?

Reader Reviews titled: "This is not as bad as IU" are not encouraging :lol

Have you watched the GameTrailers video review? If you watch it and find it to look interesting at all, I'd recommend giving it a try.

IGN review is crazy and idiotic, but I do agree with this:

However, it does have serious limitations. The fact that you're not giving direct commands and only get a choice of a few general options can be amazingly frustrating. If you choose to heal, The Last Remnant might not pick the target that needs it the most. Sometimes it didn't give me the option to heal at all when I wanted to. Not having complete control over your unions speeds up the process of fighting smaller battles, but made me despise the game during tough fights.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Near the end of the game there are two gigantic battles that could last an hour that you cannot save in between. Or so i read in a review.

One of GAF's favorite games is Skies of Arcadia. It has fucking two hour long SHIP BATTLES THAT ARE NOTHING BUT ANIMATIONS AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

often back to back, or right after a boss with no saving.

I think they'll survive.

Aeana

KTallguy said:
The question is, are people so starved for RPGs that they'll gush about something like IU ? :lol

I hated IU, and I think TLR is a fantastic game.

I think it's pretty funny how people are still second-guessing after a thread full of positive comments, with almost no negative ones. You'll find the same sort of comments at other gaming forums, and the reader average at IGN confirms it too.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
KTallguy said:
The question is, are people so starved for RPGs that they'll gush about something like IU ? :lol
I don't have a case of MUST PLAY NEW GAMES OMGWTF OLD GAMES SUCK.
I spent the months up to TLR happily playing older RPGs, since I think this year has been pretty shitty RPG-wise.
TLR is awesome.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If you choose to heal, The Last Remnant might not pick the target that needs it the most.

WAT

You choose to heal a union and the union has shared HP. WTF is this reviewer talking about?

RevenantKioku

Y2Kev said:
WAT

You choose to heal a union and the union has shared HP. WTF is this reviewer talking about?
He must be thinking that unions should heal other unions?

FUCK! I should clearly not be trying to link 4 enemies together in this dungeon. (Blackdale, I think it's called?)

ethelred

Aeana said:
I hated IU, and I think TLR is a fantastic game.

I think it's pretty funny how people are still second-guessing after a thread full of positive comments, with almost no negative ones. You'll find the same sort of comments at other gaming forums, and the reader average at IGN confirms it too.

Six months from now, GAF will once again be full of a bunch of saps who miserably whine about how much Square sucks and how they make nothing but Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest; well, here's why -- because people are so obsessed with textures that take a second and a half to load in a new area and the possibility of a couple of long fights at the end of the game (heavens to Betsy, the final boss might even do a ten minute long summon that destroys the entire solar system) that they pass over a game that takes risks and does it exceptionally well with original and fun design choices.

Y2Kev said:
WAT

Yeah, that is true, but I'm thinking more of times when my 1200 HP union will get down to 500 HP and for some reason the option to heal is not there. That's happened multiple times to me. There is no reason it shouldn't be there. The option to heal should always be there no matter what phase the battle is in.

Y2Kev

You know what, this is absolute garbage. The Western media whines and whines about how stale JRPGs are and how they never change and how there is never any innovation, and then they go and shit on a truly innovative, fun game because of some technical issues (that are somewhat annoying, but not game breaking and certainly not horrifically unplayable).

I haven't seen enthusiasm in the media over any JRPG that wasn't a Final Fantasy save for Persona in EGM and then that garbage Odin Sphere.

Gamer @ Heart said:
It was the final straw for me. I will wait. Especially now that I just ordered Tales of vesperia from amazon for only $35.

I pray for a patch. i still really want to play it. Battles look and sound really cool from what i have seen and read.

I really hope you don't let IGN sway your opinion

mochuuu

PSN Community Mgr.
thi sgame has been a mixed bag for me so far. It's got a robust battle system, but I can't get over the nasty framrates and uneven Unreal graphics of the title. i'm going to give it some more shots, but it's got a lot to prove at this point.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
So will Star Ocean 4 also get fucked by the mainstream media?

I think fans of JRPGs should ignore reviews from these big media outlets and just read the impressions in forums and shit. These sites can't be trusted at all.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
If you are on the fence and have watched the Gametrailers review and still are feeling sketchy about it, then fucking go blow your money on something else.

Jesus, it's good, how many more ways can we say it? :lol

Yes, it has some technical issues that are mostly negated by installing to HDD.

I'm a fucking graphics whore and I am dealing with this game just fine.

If you're broke, I understand.

If you like shooters more, I understand.

If you love turn-based strat combat RPGs, WTF are you waiting for?

RevenantKioku

B-b-but the opinion of someone who paid their own cash and play on their own personal time is worthless compared to someone whose job is to do it!

Aeana

ethelred said:
Six months from now, GAF will once again be full of a bunch of saps who miserably whine about how much Square sucks and how they make nothing but Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest; well, here's why -- because people are so obsessed with textures that take a second and a half to load in a new area and the possibility of a couple of long fights at the end of the game (heavens to Betsy, the final boss might even do a ten minute long summon that destroys the entire solar system) that they pass over a game that takes risks and does it exceptionally well with original and fun design choices.

Y2Kev said:
You know what, this is absolute garbage. The Western media whines and whines about how stale JRPGs are and how they never change and how there is never any innovation, and then they go and shit on a truly innovative, fun game because of some technical issues (that are somewhat annoying, but not game breaking and certainly not horrifically unplayable).

I haven't seen enthusiasm in the media over any JRPG that wasn't a Final Fantasy save for Persona in EGM and then that garbage Odin Sphere.

This is pretty much what I was thinking earlier today. :\

I'm so tired of graphics dorks who are unable to appreciate any game because of minor things like texture pop-in and occasional slowdown during uninteractive sequences.

Error said:
So will Star Ocean 4 also get fucked by the mainstream media?

I think fans of JRPGs should ignore reviews from these big media outlets and just read the impressions in forums and shit. These sites can't be trusted at all.

Nah.

I think SE will cough up the cash for good reviews.

But you're right in the larger sense... the big gaming sites haven't been reliable gauges of JRPGs in like a decade. Unless it's FF/DQ a random JRPG is almost assuredly docked at least 2 points just because.

-Though FF and DQ generally do deserve their scores even if they aren't always getting them for the "right" reasons.

Y2Kev

I want to see all of these reviewers checked to make sure none of them gave Mass Effect a free pass.

I am so impressed with this game visually and I was ready to bash it from what we had seen. The texturing in dungeons is so detailed. The game is incredibly crisp and the art is almost uniformly great (only the Cat People scare me). It's also relatively jag-free.

It's like no one is even trying anymore.

alanias

mochuuu said:
thi sgame has been a mixed bag for me so far. It's got a robust battle system, but I can't get over the nasty framrates and uneven Unreal graphics of the title. i'm going to give it some more shots, but it's got a lot to prove at this point.

Did you install it?

AgentOtaku said:
I really hope you don't let IGN sway your opinion

I was on the fence anyway. IGN maybe the lowest right now but i have read 5 other 6/10 reviews and even though im excited about it, i can wait.

Kyoufu

Y2Kev said:
I want to see all of these reviewers checked to make sure none of them gave Mass Effect a free pass.

I am so impressed with this game visually and I was ready to bash it from what we had seen. The texturing in dungeons is so detailed. The game is incredibly crisp and the art is almost uniformly great (only the Cat People scare me). It's also relatively jag-free.

It's like no one is even trying anymore.

Which game are you talking about?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The game is great and totally worth the full price tag so long as you are able to install it to the HD. The story is pretty confusing in the beginning, but it is getting better as the game progresses. The battles are the best part of the game and they only get better and more epic in scale. The difficulty progression is also pretty smooth other than a few boss battles.

If you can install the game and are on the fence, I wholeheartedly recommend the game. I personally am having more fun than I did playing Lost Odyssey.

Reviews from the mainstream vg press have always been worthless for JRPGs. Other than Final Fantasy games they are graded on a scale. Its nothing new, but some of these reviews have been particularly egregious.

So far I am enjoying this more than any JRPG this gen other than Vesperia.

chespace said:
There's not a big enough face palm for this statement.

If not cash, then perhaps "swag bags"?

Everyone likes free shit and assurances. Especially the gaming media and publishers!

But I'm sure you're here to assure me that things like this NEVER happen. Ever! Though certainly unchecked fanboy-ism is certainly responsible for a lot of ridiculous game reviews out there (i.e. 1upGeOWreview.jpg).

Can you blame a person for second guessing? ..A new IP, a $60 purchase they can't get on refund and yes, there are technical issues.. but who are you to tell another person who also would have their own opinion on the matter what they should think?

I hate texture pop-in, but I can deal with load times.. the plot seems forgettable, but the gameplay is not only inventive, but solid. I played around for a while (Just a couple of hrs) and I would like to purchase it. But I rather want for a price drop or rent then purchase if it goes well.

Games aren't cheap (IMO, they never were) so.. what's the problem with having total confidence in the purchase you are deciding to make? ..Granted, this thread is full of praise. But going by past experience.. I think I'll have to disagree with some of you. Just because you're willing to tolerate or ignore the little things, doesn't mean everyone else will. And yes, I've fallen victim to those Over-hyped, must buy threads.. too many times.

Aeana

Assembly Required said:
Can you blame a person for second guessing? ..A new IP, a $60 purchase they can't get on refund and yes, there are technical issues.. but who are you to tell another person who also would have their own opinion on the matter what they should think?

I hate texture pop-in, but I can deal with load times.. the plot seems forgettable, but the gameplay is not only inventive, but solid. I played around for a while (Just a couple of hrs) and I would like to purchase it. But I rather want for a price drop or rent then purchase if it goes well.

Games aren't cheap (IMO, they never were) so.. what's the problem with having total confidence in the purchase you are deciding to make? ..Granted, this thread is full of praise. But going by past experience.. I think I'll have to disagree with some of you. Just because you're willing to tolerate or ignore the little things, doesn't mean everyone else will. And yes, I've fallen victim to those Over-hyped, must buy threads.. too many times.

It's $40.

Macstorm

KTallguy said:
I hear there are hour long battles and you can't save. Is that a lie?
No, it's not really a lie. I'm at a part now where you have six locations you have to go and fight battles. Upon starting each location, you fight, what for me, was a 35 minute battle to charge into the place. After the first 35 minute battle, you cannot save and then must fight a shorter, but harder battle against a boss. This battle is not as long, but more challenging. You have to do this six times in a row. It can easily cause frustration.

RevenantKioku

Take a risk or two.
Plus, TLR needs your purchase. You can always get the Greatest Hits version of Gears of Resistence 5 or whatever the fuck big shit is coming out this year.
And this is not directed to anyone specifically, but:
If you don't buy TLR, don't complain about JRPGs getting stale. You are the problem and you are ignoring attempts to rectify it.

BobM

I am only up to Blackdale, but so far I am glad i bought this game. The battels are different, and fun. I felt like there was definetely a signifigant improvement after i installed the game as well, as would highly recommend doing so.

Does anyone know if there is a way to sort of zoom out in a battle toget a better view of the battle field? That would be nice. Also, are there any options to change how the cameras work in the battle? Its not a big ocmplaint, but i would have liked a static camera option, maybe one where i could see more of the battlefield at once.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
My Arms Your Hearse said:
If not cash, then perhaps "swag bags"?

Everyone likes free shit and assurances. Especially the gaming media and publishers!

But I'm sure you're here to assure me that things like this NEVER happen. Ever! Though certainly unchecked fanboy-ism is certainly responsible for a lot of ridiculous game reviews out there (i.e. 1upGeOWreview.jpg).

I was just trying to stop you from looking like a complete fucking idiot. Oh well, too late.

Back to TLR.

MechaX

Aeana said:

Poor reviews aside, this game still seems like something that I would enjoy. At least, I think I'd enjoy it much more than the likes of Lost Odyssey and Eternal Sonata, and I haven't bought a 360 game since Vesperia.

Although.. I learned that Chrono Trigger DS has two new optional dungeons that have enough story to tie into Chrono Cross in big ways and an entirely new ending... And I'm an extremely big fanboy of both games...

Choices...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
BobM said:
I am only up to Blackdale, but so far I am glad i bought this game. The battels are different, and fun. I felt like there was definetely a signifigant improvement after i installed the game as well, as would highly recommend doing so.

Does anyone know if there is a way to sort of zoom out in a battle toget a better view of the battle field? That would be nice. Also, are there any options to change how the cameras work in the battle? Its not a big ocmplaint, but i would have liked a static camera option, maybe one where i could see more of the battlefield at once.

I don't think there is anyway to change the way the battle camera works, which is unfortunate. Your best bet for getting a better view of the battlefield and where everyone is in relation to eachother is the minimap that appears at the top-right of the screen when you are entering commands. I really wish the mini-map was displayed at all times, but you only really need it when you are entering commands anyway, so I guess it is not that big of a deal.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Saw the GT review, I believe I will be picking this up on PC for probably $30.

Most of the technical issues I would think would be fixed.

chespace said:
I was just trying to stop you from looking like a complete fucking idiot. Oh well, too late.

Back to TLR.

Just to get this on record: You don't feel that... in the history of video game reviews, a single one has ever been, hmm, "influenced" by cash/advertising/merchandise/publisher pressure/whatever incentives? EVER?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

You're right. Gaming media is beyond reproach. A totally mature field immune to temptation. I'm glad they're on my side!

Y2Kev

This is not a good JRPG.

Your mother.

Simply put, The Last Remnant is a coding disaster.

Your mother is a disaster.

Square Enix may have licensed the Unreal Engine 3, the same tools used to make Gears of War, but the developers clearly did not know how to use it.

They were too busy learning your mother to learn how to use UE3.

he Last Remnant is sloppy at best.

Your mother is sloppy at best.

Top Bottom