• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Remnant |OT| of DON'T LISTEN TO REVIEWERS!

kay

Fear not, they will likely be adding Japanese voice acting to the PS3 and maybe PC release.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/18-11-2008-9956.html

VideoGamer.com: One of the things a lot of the fans have always wanted from JRPGs is the original Japanese dialogue with English subtitles because they feel it's more authentic but that never seems to be an option. Why is that, and do you think that games on Blu-ray might allow that because of the increased capacity?

Isogawa-san: Because this is the 360 version and it's just a DVD we didn't end up with enough room on the DVD to have two languages worth of voice. There's a lot of voice in this game. It would be cool if we can do that for a Blu-ray release. We'll see!
Full interview here http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/the_last_remnant/preview-1384.html

Somnia

So watching blim's videos. It looks good..graphics look good in motion (so much better than screens), music is pretty damn good and the voice acting seems to be really well done. I can live with the frames problems in the big battles (didn't see any in the small battles?). Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DedicationThroughLight said:
So if a Blu Ray is 50GB and the game is on 1 or 2DVD disc for the 360, what will the remaining 36GB of space be used for on the blu-ray discs for the PS3 version?

Japanese track, lossless audio? D:

Jonnyram

DedicationThroughLight said:
So if a Blu Ray is 50GB and the game is on 1 or 2DVD disc for the 360, what will the remaining 36GB of space be used for on the blu-ray discs for the PS3 version?
Duplicating data to reduce seek time?

ibu

I will jump in on the PS3 launch... but just like Infinite Undiscovery in the UK this will receive little to no promotion and will just sink without a trace.

Which is a shame as Infinite Undiscovery was good and this looks it also.

MoogPaul

I'm going to wait till it's released on the playstation 3, then buy it for the 360 new for 25 dollars, as the current trend of this generations RPGs go.

GamePro's review is up... http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/207945/the-last-remnant/

An uneven experience through and through, The Last Remnant presents itself with an innovative "East-meets-West" that suffers from unfortunate poor execution. Rather than reaching the high bar set by the company's more established efforts, The Last Remnant doesn't come close to replicating the kind of thrilling and memorable RPG experience that franchises like Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger offered. It's a shame, especially considering the so-so Infinite Undiscovery, but the silver lining is that Square Enix has an opportunity to get back to form with the much anticipated Final Fantasy and Star Ocean installments it has coming up soon.

PROS: Stunning visuals, solid voice acting, immersive environments
CONS: Repetitive battles, cluttered screens, annoying "quests"

"3 out of 5" stars....

gcubed

wow, so that pop in and slowdown is on the 360 version, god, i cant imagine how messed up the ps3 version is going to be

h3ro

gcubed said:
wow, so that pop in and slowdown is on the 360 version, god, i cant imagine how messed up the ps3 version is going to be

The characters won't have lips or fingers. It's gonna be awesome.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
Yo RK (or anyone else who has already bought the game), how is the game so far? Are you digging the story, is it so-so, or is it another cliche ridden fantasy quest that has been done to oblivion?

I do have an open mind to this as I generally do enjoy the SaGa team's games. I have read about the battle system, and it sounds like it could be engaging despite its mind-boggling complexity. The thing what I'm saying is that the battle system is only a bonus, not the foundation of a good JRPG.

I'm looking for character development, character development, a unique story, compelling presentation, exploration, and intelligent twists.

Based on that criteria, how would you rate LR so far?

edit- h3ro, you just want people to quote your avatar

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Ricker said:
So it has 2 disk...can you install just disk 1 and start playing?....I'm getting this tomorrow and would like to install it on my 20 gig HDD but if you need to install the whole game(the 2 disks) to start playing,then i wont have enough room since it's going to be like 12 gig install?
I only had to install disc one. Having not installed a game since I quit PC gaming years ago, I was thinking it would be like that and you would have to install all at once, but once it didn't prompt me for the second disc, I realized that it wouldn't make sense for the thing to install disc 2 just now. It can't possibly need anything off of it until I get to disc 2. Not too shabby.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
This game is pretty cool so far. Story's developing nicely and the battle system is fun once you get used to the sporadic frame rate. I would say I am having fun with it!

icecream

Public Health Threat
kay said:
Fear not, they will likely be adding Japanese voice acting to the PS3 and maybe PC release.
It'd be a complete first for S-E, if they actually do it. I'd better see it in my FFXIII and FFXIIIv too.

Yeah, this arrived from Game yesterday for me :)

I quite like it. The story seems a bit jumpy here and there, things happen and people do things with little or no motivation, but I really like the battle system now. It's kinda wierd not having EXP and levels, but I can live with that :p

Definitely a grower, I'd say. If you're on the fence, it's definitely worth a go. Not sure about the unreal engine, though, the visuals can range between very good and rather poor. Textures seem to take a while to load properly, with N64-style placeholders for the first 5 or 6 seconds of a scene. Maybe I should install it.

`Moe Joe.

Banned
Game is great. I am loving the combat and once you get used to it, it isn't repetitive at all. The story is very jumpy, but not as bad as the IU story. The story is something you can live through if you expect it to be B grade; don't expect amazing cut scenes with appropriate juxtaposition and camera angles.

Walk into it wanting a good RPG, not a revolutionary one, and you will love it! The quests are very addicting.

Ricker

RevenantKioku said:
I only had to install disc one. Having not installed a game since I quit PC gaming years ago, I was thinking it would be like that and you would have to install all at once, but once it didn't prompt me for the second disc, I realized that it wouldn't make sense for the thing to install disc 2 just now. It can't possibly need anything off of it until I get to disc 2. Not too shabby.

Awesome thanks,that means the same will probably apply to LO and BD and possibly Star Ocean 4(if that's on multiple disks).

I knew nothing about this game until today.

Now I really want it. :(

facepalm007 said:

THis comment:

there is way too much sh*t on the screen, it looks like the battle screen has 3 pages of on screen instructions, recipes FN horoscopes.........Christ, I can't believe turn based games are still here, that's a shame.

Made me almost want to sign up to post a comment screaming at this moron.

Bossman

Yeah, I hate those newbie RPG fans who think that Oblivion is the best RPG ever and all turnbased RPGs are pure crap.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Square-Enix is sending over my copy today/tomorrow, so i can't wait to play this title.

Macstorm

Wolfwood0 said:
I second this.

Its really strange to me that nowadays story is treated like an afterthought in these reviews.
The story is not going to win it any awards. It feels very forced.

gcubed

Bossman said:
Yeah, I hate those newbie RPG fans who think that Oblivion is the best RPG ever and all turnbased RPGs are pure crap.

i agree, i HATED Oblivion, and one of the sole reasons why I want this game is because its turn based. I'm saddened that everyone is trying to go away from this style because I personally love it.

In the retreat away from turn based RPGs, I have become a fan of SRPG's to fill the void.

batbeg

Got it (along with LocoRoco 2). Only got to play for an hour before going to work, but here's my thoughts. Will be playing more when my fucking housemate is done with the tv.

Things I like:

* Voice acting
* Good start
* SAVE FUCKIN' ANYWHERE (really helpful as I had to rush to work)
* Music is bliss
* Relatively good loading times (no idea why blimblim said 7 seconds for going in buildings, it takes me about 2-3)
* Jumps right into letting you do shit (but...)

Things I don't like:

* Feels like a tutorial so far, I just want to jump into the systems!
* Texture loading is terrible, even installed (my first UE3 game aside from Lost Odyssey though)
* Walking animations are stupid for everyone
* Stupid story after about 20 minutes
* Rush. I wanted him to be like Capell who I loved, but he's just obnoxiously retarded.

Things I don't know yet:

* If it's fun. I'm enjoying the gameplay so far, but I've only done about 10 fights, none of which have required any strategy so far.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
15 minutes into the game and now out of the "intro" portion. Trying to get out of the cave.

So far, I enjoy the character designs and the overall look of the game. I think LO looks better as a UE3 RPG, but I think the designs are better in LR.

Voice acting kick ass so far, except Rush's voice is sorta whiny. I like the older woman with the scar on her face. Nice VO.

The combat... wow. WTF was going on! Looks deep as hell and I had no idea what I was doing. But just from that little bit I tasted, I think I'm REALLY going to enjoy this.

Installing this game also rules.

Aeana

I've been playing for a bit, and I'm really pleasantly surprised by the game so far. I just finished the Ruins of Robelia, so I'm not too far in, but I like it so far. The battles are surprisingly speedy! With the game installed, it actually loads too quickly, because I can't read the loading screen tips! :( There also seems to be a decent bit of customization involved, but progression works like SaGa... so you have to use stuff to raise your proficiency. This could be good or bad for me; only time will tell. I usually hate this style of progression.

The music is also surprisingly not bad. I am not a Sekito fan at all, but it's decent. If I had to list one negative, it would be that Johnny Yong Bosch voices Rush. Sigh. :(

I also managed to fit both discs on my 20GB with 1GB to spare, so that's cool.

batbeg

chespace said:
Voice acting kick ass so far, except Rush's voice is sorta whiny. I like the older woman with the scar on her face. Nice VO.

I like Emma as well, both from her voice and her design. I also like David, was considering adopting him for my new avatar, especially as David VA =
qs3vix.png
:D

I think this is my first JYB game, and though I thought he sounded decent from the trailers, in-game it's just... ugh.

Yazuka

So has there been any word on a PS3 version? I've just check pretty quickly thru this thread and I've seen a few people mention PS3.

Top Bottom