• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Remnant |OT| of DON'T LISTEN TO REVIEWERS!

Aeana

Amir0x said:
I am going to install it. But Eurogamer mentions that even when installed, loading is still a problem. I think this is where it becomes a difference of opinion?

I guess. But unless the loading gets worse further into the game, the loading is really good with it installed. As I've mentioned above, most loads are so fast that I can't even read the loading screen tips. So I'm scratching my head wondering how anybody could consider the loading times you get with the game installed to be unacceptable by any stretch. :\

Oh well.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah i don't want to comment further until I play it. I am so backlogged up, so I am trying to finish Mirror's Edge first :lol

So there's no date for the PS3 version yet? Eh. I wanted to pick up an rpg for Thanksgiving holiday and now it looks like I'll be picking up Fallout 3. Had no idea the PS3 version was delayed.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
This game sounds fantastic, based on everyone's impressions, despite the slowdown... will be putting on my Christmas list, as I feel kinda selfish whenever I buy stuff around this time.

just popping in to say i agree with the thread: game is engaging and very interesting.

technical flaws are a shame and the story is frustrating but so far i'm really into it.

ICallItFutile said:
I'm shocked IGN, Gamespot and 1UP have not posted reviews yet. Did SE send them review copies late?

i think these sites owe explanations of this. square pulled an eidos here, way worse than eidos did really and yet no one calls them on it.

gkryhewy

adversesolutions said:
i think these sites owe explanations of this. square pulled an eidos here, way worse than eidos did really and yet no one calls them on it.

Particularly odd given the game is evidently solid at worst.

Macstorm

Most likely places aren't reviewing it yet, because they got copies less than a week ago and the game is not quick. I've been playing for over a week now and with numerous game overs, I've not yet finished.

duckroll

adversesolutions said:

Maybe you should get your facts right before accusing publishers of doing anything. :p

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
When installed, the loading itself isn't an issue -- period. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just nitpicking for the genre. That said, it doesn't mean the texture popping or the battle framerate hits go away, although like someone else said, those aren't deal breakers for this game (otherwise, I probably couldn't have played and loved the shit out of Mass Effect either).

So I have a question about battles. I didn't get very far last night, ended up falling asleep on a quest from someone in the pub that took me to the caves. Is there a way to tell which union the enemy will attack? All I can see is a dotted line from my union to whichever enemy I highlight. This will really help me with my interrupt and raidlock games.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, verdict on loading when it's installed: a-ok. And I am a nitpicky son-of-a-bitch.

Verdict on texture pop-up: Fuck atrocious still. But that's not a gamebreaker like loading, so it's an overall good result.

Verdict on framerate: Still pretty negative. So this would reduce the game by a point or so in my eyes.

Chrange

Banned
Aeana said:
I guess. But unless the loading gets worse further into the game, the loading is really good with it installed. As I've mentioned above, most loads are so fast that I can't even read the loading screen tips. So I'm scratching my head wondering how anybody could consider the loading times you get with the game installed to be unacceptable by any stretch. :\

Oh well.

Same here, and there have been a couple where I wasn't really paying attention and suddenly thought 'HEY, what's that say?' only to have it vanish forever :lol

The texture pop-in is pretty bad, but it seems like it only happens (to the point I'm at anyway) when you first zone into an area and it's gone inside a second - well before you actually get control of the character. I wish they'd leave it black a little longer while it loaded everything, just fade in slower and it'd be far less noticeable.

The slowdown during combat is annoying though. I wonder if it'd have been alleviated at all if they'd simply removed any character model that was going to be made transparent in the combat sequences.

chespace

So somebody answer my battle question 2 posts above.

Puh-leeze. Or I might have to RTFM.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Does anyone have any idea what the Battle Rank is all about? It seems to increase with the numbers of battle you've been in, and to increase the difficulty of the game with it? I hope I'm wrong because I really dislike when RPGs prevent you to grind when you feel like it. LO just prevented you to level up past a certain point, that was fine by me since it was always fair.
Also
I just arrived at the mines and it's just Rush and Emma, and I get killed by the first ennemy I encounter. My battle rank is 18, I didn't grind but I made sure to kill every monster I saw in my way. Should I go back and do some side quests?
Until that point I was quite enjoying myself. The
Catacombs
were tough by manageable when I made sure not to enter a battle with too many enemies at once.
Che: As far as I've seen there is no way to know which enemy unit will attack, and who it will attack. Why would they tell you this in the first place?

chespace

Blimblim said:
Che: As far as I've seen there is no way to know which enemy unit will attack, and who it will attack. Why would they tell you this in the first place?

So you can plan your interruptions and raidlocks?

I dunno, I guess it makes sense but that's not what whatshisface said in this thread. :)

duckroll said:
Maybe you should get your facts right before accusing publishers of doing anything. :p

how would i do this besides asking ign etc. for an explanation? do you think square's going to be open about delaying review copies if they did so?

Phthisis

Blimblim said:
Does anyone have any idea what the Battle Rank is all about? It seems to increase with the numbers of battle you've been in, and to increase the difficulty of the game with it? I hope I'm wrong because I really dislike when RPGs prevent you to grind when you feel like it. LO just prevented you to level up past a certain point, that was fine by me since it was always fair.

It does exactly that by making enemies harder.

Grinding is boring. Enjoy the game.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Grinding is awesome. Enjoy the game.

Seriously, battling in this game is so fucking awesome.

chespace

RevenantKioku said:
Grinding is awesome. Enjoy the game.

Seriously, battling in this game is so fucking awesome.

This.

I'm starting to understand the battle system now.

So addictive.

Slowdown be damned.

Baker

Banned
I'm only in the first dungeon after the tutorial tutorial/first town stuff, and I don't understand the RT thing at all.

Why do enemies have mental states (and your circle have a 100ft diameter) if you have to be two inches away from them to pull 'em into battle?

BobM

Baker said:
I'm only in the first dungeon after the tutorial tutorial/first town stuff, and I don't understand the RT thing at all.

Why do enemies have mental states (and your circle have a 100ft diameter) if you have to be two inches away from them to pull 'em into battle?

yeah that was frustrating me as well. when they explained the RT thing to me in the game they made it sound as if i could pull anyone in inside the circles radius. But i have also ofund that i acutally have to be dangerously close to initiate a battle.

Maybe im just not getting it?

Monocle

So, did anyone get the pre-order bonus? (It's some extra formations, I think.) If so, was the code sent in an email, or on an insert inside the box? I'm asking because Amazon shipped my copy yesterday and I haven't received an email with the code yet.

Also, an impression of the bonus content would be welcome.

madhtr

Ninja99 said:
So, did anyone get the pre-order bonus? (It's some extra formations, I think.) If so, was the code sent in an email, or on an insert inside the box? I'm asking because Amazon shipped my copy yesterday and I haven't received an email with the code yet.

Also, an impression of the bonus content would be welcome.
Well, in-store it was on a card, so I expect that it will be the same in this case.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I bought the game yesterday and had the day off today so I have been able to put about 5 or 6 hours into it. At first I hated the game. The battle system and story made no sense and the graphics / performance were terrible. After installing the game to the HDD, getting used to the battle system and getting a bit further into the story I am now having a lot of fun. Once you get used to the battle system the game becomes very enjoyable even though it takes a while to get to that point.

I do, however, really wish Square never licensed Unreal Engine 3. In fact, I wish this engine would just disappear outside of Epic-developed games. I have played just about every UE3 game and every single one of them, outside of Gears of War 1 / 2 and UT3, feel like they are early beta or even alpha builds. I am so sick of this engine and its dogshit performance, texture-loading problems, bland colors and "screen-smeared-with-vaseline" look. There isn't a single UE3 game out there that isn't developed by Epic that doesn't suffer from major technical problems. Even the Epic games have texture-loading problems and other technical issues. When every single game has problems, I don't think the developers can be blamed anymore. The engine is obviously much more trouble than its worth.

Last Remnant is possibly the worst of UE3 games in terms of technical problems. I played the game for 5 hours before installing it to my harddrive and it was a horrendous experience. Textures took forever to load and in some cases they didn't even load at all. Big battles were just a huge mess of blurred textures and a jerky framerate. Even when the textures do finish loading, the game is very ugly. The character models look pretty good, but the environments are really bad in this game. Then again, this seems to be a theme with UE3 games unless they take place in completely destroyed / post-apocalyptic environments. Playing the game off the DVD was an extremely frustrating experience. I only have a 20gb HDD (which means only about 15gb of actual space when everything is deleted), so I had to delete a lot of stuff to fit the first disc onto my HDD, but oh boy am I glad I did.

After installing the game to the HDD it becomes a lot more playable. Sure there are still the texture-loading problems, but they pop in pretty quickly instead of taking 5-10 seconds+ or not loading at all like they did when running the game off the DVD. The load times, while still frequent, are very short now and I don't really notice them anymore. Most importantly is that battles are actually playable now. Textures load properly now and the game doesn't chop out as bad whenever a special ability is used. The performance is still pretty awful even when running off the HDD, but at least it is playable now. It is probably about the same in terms of performance as Mass Effect was running off the DVD.

Anyway, the game is a lot of fun once you get used to it, but unless you can install the game to the HDD I really can't recommend it. It is a complete mess performance wise, and only becomes playable once it is installed on the HDD. It is really sad that UE3 has become the engine of choice for this generation. I think a lot of companies didn't know what they were getting into when they licensed this thing, because so far it has produced nothing but shit in terms of performance. It is really too bad because games like Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey and Last Remnant are all very good games, but they are set back severely by UE3. I can only imagine how good these games would have been if different technology was used.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
Mirror's Edge looks like neither an early alpha or an early beta build, and it is UE3.0.

Wow. Color me surprised. I had to look that up just because I couldn't believe you. From what I played of the Mirror's Edge demo, it looked nothing like any other UE3 game. No texture-pop, no performance problems, it had vibrant colors and great lighting, everything was extremely sharp and didn't look like it was covered in vaseline. How did EA pull it off? Let's hope they can share their abilities with Bioware for the next installment of Mass Effect.

I stand by my statement, but I have to exclude Mirror's Edge. It really makes me wonder why EA was able to do what they did with the engine when no one else seems to be able to fully understand how to work the thing.

Zefah said:
I bought the game yesterday and had the day off today so I have been able to put about 5 or 6 hours into it. At first I hated the game. The battle system and story made no sense and the graphics / performance were terrible. After installing the game to the HDD, getting used to the battle system and getting a bit further into the story I am now having a lot of fun. Once you get used to the battle system the game becomes very enjoyable even though it takes a while to get to that point.

I do, however, really wish Square never licensed Unreal Engine 3. In fact, I wish this engine would just disappear outside of Epic-developed games. I have played just about every UE3 game and every single one of them, outside of Gears of War 1 / 2 and UT3, feel like they are early beta or even alpha builds. I am so sick of this engine and its dogshit performance, texture-loading problems, bland colors and "screen-smeared-with-vaseline" look. There isn't a single UE3 game out there that isn't developed by Epic that doesn't suffer from major technical problems. Even the Epic games have texture-loading problems and other technical issues. When every single game has problems, I don't think the developers can be blamed anymore. The engine is obviously much more trouble than its worth.

Last Remnant is possibly the worst of UE3 games in terms of technical problems. I played the game for 5 hours before installing it to my harddrive and it was a horrendous experience. Textures took forever to load and in some cases they didn't even load at all. Big battles were just a huge mess of blurred textures and a jerky framerate. Even when the textures do finish loading, the game is very ugly. The character models look pretty good, but the environments are really bad in this game. Then again, this seems to be a theme with UE3 games unless they take place in completely destroyed / post-apocalyptic environments. Playing the game off the DVD was an extremely frustrating experience. I only have a 20gb HDD (which means only about 15gb of actual space when everything is deleted), so I had to delete a lot of stuff to fit the first disc onto my HDD, but oh boy am I glad I did.

After installing the game to the HDD it becomes a lot more playable. Sure there are still the texture-loading problems, but they pop in pretty quickly instead of taking 5-10 seconds+ or not loading at all like they did when running the game off the DVD. The load times, while still frequent, are very short now and I don't really notice them anymore. Most importantly is that battles are actually playable now. Textures load properly now and the game doesn't chop out as bad whenever a special ability is used. The performance is still pretty awful even when running off the HDD, but at least it is playable now. It is probably about the same in terms of performance as Mass Effect was running off the DVD.

Anyway, the game is a lot of fun once you get used to it, but unless you can install the game to the HDD I really can't recommend it. It is a complete mess performance wise, and only becomes playable once it is installed on the HDD. It is really sad that UE3 has become the engine of choice for this generation. I think a lot of companies didn't know what they were getting into when they licensed this thing, because so far it has produced nothing but shit in terms of performance. It is really too bad because games like Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey and Last Remnant are all very good games, but they are set back severely by UE3. I can only imagine how good these games would have been if different technology was used.

Amen to this

I'm soooo fucking sick of UE3 and I hope CONSOLE developers are too. I emphasize console developers as the engine is rather good when it's actually on a damn PC!
The engine was supposed to be THE solution this gen for consoles and it's hardly succeeded outside of Gears.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Zefah said:
Wow. Color me surprised. I had to look that up just because I couldn't believe you. From what I played of the Mirror's Edge demo, it looked nothing like any other UE3 game. No texture-pop, no performance problems, it had vibrant colors and great lighting, everything was extremely sharp and didn't look like it was covered in vaseline. How did EA pull it off? Let's hope they can share their abilities with Bioware for the next installment of Mass Effect.

I stand by my statement, but I have to exclude Mirror's Edge. It really makes me wonder why EA was able to do what they did with the engine when no one else seems to be able to fully understand how to work the thing.

Not EA, DICE and they have some serious technical wizards over there. Look what they were able to do on the Xbox 1 with Rallisport Challenge 2.

As for this game, so far I'm really digging it. I think the loading would be less intrusive if it didn't go to that ugly ass green load screen every time, just fade it to black with a little load icon at the bottom would be much better.

Phthisis

This is such a refreshing game. I'm glad to see there's still some creative people in the JRPG development community. It's so different and fun. It also seems to me that the Arabic-inspired art design that's found in this game as well as Lost Odyssey and Final Fantasy XII has become sort of en vogue in Japan. Wonder why that is.

chespace

Yup, I'm just grinding now in caves and mining for components to upgrade my weapons.

The combat is so fun so I don't mind.

I think I'll pussy out and turn on critical hits to automatic.

For grinding, I am just lazy. :D

Also, battle rank 11 now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
chespace said:
Yup, I'm just grinding now in caves and mining for components to upgrade my weapons.

The combat is so fun so I don't mind.

I think I'll pussy out and turn on critical hits to automatic.

For grinding, I am just lazy. :D

Also, battle rank 11 now.

I too am grinding for components now. This weapon upgrading business could get rather addicting. The combat is a lot of fun too, so I don't mind the grinding at all. However, the critical QTEs are a big part of the fun! You should definitely turn them on and get used to the timing. I had a lot of trouble in the beginning too (however I think this was because I had not installed the game and the combat was extremely choppy), but now I am really getting the hang of it and I just got an achievement unlocked for successfully pulling off 100 criticals.

batbeg

Okay... apparently I'm doomed to love games that the media will hate on, because this game is awesome. My B-level shitfests > Your AAA games. I played this from noon to 3am last night, and it's just so fun I can't believe it - I haven't played an RPG like that for years. I love how varied the quests are, and I've been spending a long time doing those - once I got to
Elysia
I couldn't figure out what to do to trigger the next part in the story, so I just went on to the next city and did all the available quests.

There are still some obvious complaints, like the ugliness, texture loading, and honestly, I'm a bit pissed I can't seem to access the loading screen tips as neither the manual nor the game explains a bunch of this shit, and the loading screens disappear too quickly, but this is the most fun I've had with an RPG this year. I liked IUs battle system, story, characters, and style more, but the great battle system and the quests... so fun.

I'm also pleasantly surprised by the length of the game. Still on the first disc, whereas I was already several hours into IUs second disc by this point. And the achievements seem pretty fun to get, as opposed to being given out for story related stuff.

White Man said:
One thing I am noticing--in Dillmoor, when Rush is not the party leader, every time I give a combat art order, he just does a general attack instead of using one of the combat arts he knows (he knows at least 2). Is there any reason for this or a way to change it?

Possibly just not enough AP by that point?

chespace

Yeah, I can usually pull them off if I'm not totally zoning out.

The problem with criticals is that they're important for me to win because I like to link up a lot of enemies before I start the encounter (more risk, more reward) and sometimes I actually get in over my head. :D

Also, my most powerful dudes right now are Baulson and Macgrady, but I also have 2 others... Semry and Sandy or something. I am using Semry and Sandy now and trying to get them to level up a bit. :lol

Is there a good union faq out there?

Reading through the thread I can see the game is fun as stated but the tech problems are personal based. The thing that gets me is why/how does this make it pass the cutting room floor? Anywho I'll be waiting on the PS3 version as well.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Che just a small hint, read it if you don't want to go back and grind at some point.
Don't forget Emma

Johann

AgentOtaku said:
Amen to this

I'm soooo fucking sick of UE3 and I hope CONSOLE developers are too. I emphasize console developers as the engine is rather good when it's actually on a damn PC!
The engine was supposed to be THE solution this gen for consoles and it's hardly succeeded outside of Gears.
One of Square-Enix's goals with The Last Remnant was use as much middleware a possible in it since this game is probably a test case for how the company will develop games in the future. They've been working on an in-house engine for years that had to be adapted to cross-platform development somewhere along the line and still hasn't been shown to the general public yet. Say what you will about TLR but at least the game is out there and not pulling a Duke Nukem Forever behind some closed theater for two years after it's announcement. From their recent actions, SE seems to be looking into using a Western development approach with more middleware and possibly contracted work to cut down on time and costs.

Anyway, I haven't had this type of experience since Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. The game is incredibly buggy (visually rather than gameplay bug/crashes) but I'm having a blast playing it, especially with the install. I'm not sure if the PS3 version is going to any better since even a lot of UE3 experienced Western developers, such as 2K games, have great difficulty getting a PS3 version up to par with the original that began development on the 360. I can't imagine what a Japanese B-Team would be able to do with it technically.

RyuHayate

I really like what I'm reading here...

I intend on getting a larger HDD (I'm still rollin' with my launch 20 GB HDD) so I'll likely hold off on picking this up until then.

Llyranor

I'm pleasantly surprised at how positive the impressions have been. Looks like I'll be picking it up, then. Again, PS3 version better have dual audio :mad:

'grinding is fun etc'.... but is it necessary? I want to avoid as much as I can.

Macstorm

adversesolutions said:
how would i do this besides asking ign etc. for an explanation? do you think square's going to be open about delaying review copies if they did so?
This is nothing like Eidos blocking low review scores. The game did come out early and if people had been done with the game in time, they could have reviewed it regardless of score.

Aeana

White Man said:
One thing I am noticing--in Dillmoor, when Rush is not the party leader, every time I give a combat art order, he just does a general attack instead of using one of the combat arts he knows (he knows at least 2). Is there any reason for this or a way to change it?

It seems like a unit's position in a union and that union's position on the battlefield relative to the target enemy union affect which arts can be used. I was just messing around with positioning a few minutes ago, because I couldn't get Rush to use Spark III in the union setup I had him in. After I set him to the leader of Arrow of Athlum, he's able to use it now. I've had similar results with moving other units around. I'd love to have a bit more insight into this, since (right now) it seems to be kind of random. Does anybody have any ideas?

Paznos said:
So true I'll try my best though to wait, unless the 360 version goes down to 29 before then.

honestly just curious: if you have both, why not "jump in"to the Xbox 360 version? I have both PS3 and 360 version; I'll definitely be picking it up now.

Dragon

Banned
FateBreaker said:
honestly just curious: if you have both, why not "jump in"to the Xbox 360 version? I have both PS3 and 360 version; I'll definitely be picking it up now.

I know you asked someone else, but for me, I want to prolong my 360 as long as possible, so all multi-platform games I get on my PS3.

2DMention

Banned
This looks like another semi-disaster like Infinite Undiscovery.

And with all the top-shelf RPGs already out, I think I'll wait till the summer or whenever this gets the inevitable price drop to $30, or ends up in the clearance area of Target.

Aeana

Aeana said:
It seems like a unit's position in a union and that union's position on the battlefield relative to the target enemy union affect which arts can be used. I was just messing around with positioning a few minutes ago, because I couldn't get Rush to use Spark III in the union setup I had him in. After I set him to the leader of Arrow of Athlum, he's able to use it now. I've had similar results with moving other units around. I'd love to have a bit more insight into this, since (right now) it seems to be kind of random. Does anybody have any ideas?

Replying to myself since I had a 'duh' moment. In addition to what I said above, it looks like leaders are given priority on art usage, and the amount of AP you have affects whether the rest of your party members can use their arts, going in order from position 1 (leader), to position 2, and so on. I don't know why the AP thing hadn't occurred to me, since it's pretty obvious.

Top Bottom