• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Remnant |OT| of DON'T LISTEN TO REVIEWERS!

Rpgmonkey

Yazuka said:
So has there been any word on a PS3 version? I've just check pretty quickly thru this thread and I've seen a few people mention PS3.

There's a PS3 and PC version, but no one knows when they're releasing.

Yazuka

Rpgmonkey said:
There's a PS3 and PC version, but no one knows when they're releasing.
I almost though they had scraped those versions.
Well hope for some news on them in the not to distant future then.

Aeana

Let's kick some 'A'!
... :(

The battles are so fun, though. I don't really see what exactly affects stat gains, though. It doesn't seem to be the standard 'use it to improve it' SaGa system... seems like other stuff affects it.

White Man

Dunno if it's been asked, but is there any way to take all items after battle, or are you only allowed to pick one? Same way with chests it seems. Or am I actually taking them all and the game is just making me think I'm picking one or something?

Aeana

White Man said:
Dunno if it's been asked, but is there any way to take all items after battle, or are you only allowed to pick one? Same way with chests it seems. Or am I actually taking them all and the game is just making me think I'm picking one or something?

I thought you get all of them. That's how it seems to me. There wouldn't be much point to splitting up a captured monster, otherwise.

White Man

Good point. I was just confused because you click on an item and it goes to okay, sort of implying that you only picked that one item. And then the components all have sort of similar names and I'm too lazy to go through my component inventory and sort it out :p

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Yeah, guess A is just used to quickly jump to the OK button.

And man, I suck at the critical triggers. Either too slow or I hit the wrong button entirely, haha.

White Man

I put them on auto but I feel dirty. I think I am going to put them back on manual and only turn them to auto during problem fights. I think this game could get rather tough.

They really don't give you a big window at all to press the button.

Amir0x

Banned
I just picked up this game on a whim.

Now I realize everything RevenantKioku pimps is probably horrendous, buuuut... I am curious. It reminds me of another great game.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
White Man said:
I put them on auto but I feel dirty. I think I am going to put them back on manual and only turn them to auto during problem fights. I think this game could get rather tough.

They really don't give you a big window at all to press the button.

Yeah, I just got through the first dungeon (I chose the ruins) and the critical timing of the button presses is brutal. I haven't succeed once. :lol

I don't want to put them on auto unless I'm getting raped though.

And um, this game really doesn't look that good technically, but I think it's mostly down to the horrendous last-gen animations. Plus, some of the cutscenes that do not involve actually playing cutscene movies are really awkward. In a lot of ways, it's JUST LIKE EVERY SQUARE RPG EVER MADE.

I do enjoy the combat system though, but I'm not sure I totally understand the concept of positioning yet, with all the Raidlocks and Interference/Interceptions.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Amir0x said:

Now I realize everything RevenantKioku pimps is probably horrendous, buuuut... I am curious. It reminds me of another great game.
If we could find a piece of common ground, maybe there can be peace in the world.
But I expect a picture of this in your toilet or some animal's orifice within the hour.

I've been hearing about technical issues but I can't really say I have been having much issue out of a little bit of stutter here and there. Installed it.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
The install really speeds up load times and there's quite a bit of loading so I think it's very good. In terms of texture pop-in, well, it's still there albeit a little bit better.

I really love the install feature of NXE. 360 has never sounded so quiet playing a UE3 game. :lol

I'm about 5 hours into the game now and just got past Dillmoor. The combat system is really clicking with me now and I just unlocked the ability to form unions. Also, criticals aren't that hard to pull off if you're attentive.

The story is brain dead and Rush is still a really meh protagonist, but the combat is very very good and it's keeping me playing. It reminds me of an epic large-scale Grandia or something with its positioning and encounter triggers.

Haven't played a JRPG since LO, and having just come off FO3, this is a pretty cool breath of fresh air.

RevenantKioku

Amir0x said:
i should use this game as a test for installs.
I really can only assume the complaints are coming off of non installs. I really have practically none, other than wanting to kick Rush in the lack of testicles.

Sallokin

Just got to the second major city and despite the glaring flaws I think I really love this game. I don't know why I do, but for some reason it really clicks with me.

White Man

chespace said:
I'm about 5 hours into the game now and just got past Dillmoor. The combat system is really clicking with me now and I just unlocked the ability to form unions. Also, criticals aren't that hard to pull off if you're attentive.

More like criticals aren't tough to pull off when there are a lot of characters in play. The button press cue is much slower when you have a ton going on. Ever since getting to Dillmoor, I haven't missed one. It kind of reminds me of my defending of the horrendous slowdown in Radiant Silvergun back in college.

One thing I am noticing--in Dillmoor, when Rush is not the party leader, every time I give a combat art order, he just does a general attack instead of using one of the combat arts he knows (he knows at least 2). Is there any reason for this or a way to change it?

Cedille

I hear Maehiro (the guy who intentionally didn't implement earth magic for a unique game design and the individual license boards in FFXII) is the battle director of this game, and given his deep involvement I'd not be surprised if this game sucks despite its potential.

the gamespot score doesn't really gel with the text...its fairly positive, definitely appears as if they are being overly harsh with the final grade

Aeana

Cedille said:
I hear Maehiro (the guy who intentionally didn't implement earth magic for a unique game design and the individual license boards in FFXII) is the battle director of this game, and given his deep involvement I'd not be surprised if this game sucks despite its potential.

Hearing of his involvement the other day only made me more interested in the game, personally. So far, so good.

SpokkX

So this seems to be about as bad as Infinate Undiscovery then

What is Square doing this generation?

Will gladly be skipping this

Aeana

SpokkX said:

According to whom? Have you read any of the impressions posts in the thread?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Alright, I think I'm about 6 hours in now (is there a counter anywhere?), just out of
Blackdale
(not really a spoiler...). The battle system is quite nice, I like the QTE thing that actually does something more than just power up your attacks, and contrary to Che's opinion I think the timing isn't that difficult. I don't manage to do a whole sequence 100% of the time, but it's not it's very doable.
The slowdowns during big battles are brutal, and actually DO matter since they will slow down the QTEs. Of course it makes them easier, but it's still not something I find acceptable.
The cutscenes for the most part are really good looking. The one at the end of the level I just finished had some pretty crazy lighting effects, it really looked like CG a times.
All in all I'm enjoying the game so far. But then I guess with turn based RPGs becoming rarer I'll be easy to please when I get one :)

gkryhewy

SpokkX said:

What an odd post given the consensus in this thread.

mjc

SpokkX said:

Technically yes, but the gameplay seems fun given the impressions here.

painey

I dont know what to do.. SE is really hit or miss when it comes to RPGS.. I hated IU, but the idea of turn based combat in TLR appeals to me but I dont know if I want to take a blind leap

duckroll said:
http://blog.square-enix.com/remnant

The game blog updated too. The main map planner for TLR is Kazuhiro Kataoka, the Lead Map System Designer for FFXII and the assistant director of Ogre Battle 64.

Interesting that an Ogre Battle reference within the staff of TLR has popped up.

I know that everyone is saying that TLR's combat system is a "Gambit 1.5", but it's seemed to me that it's taking a page far more from the Ogre Battle series, and amping it up to include a larger palette of abilities.

My X360 RRoD'ed, so I still do not have this yet :(

Llyranor

Mr Killemgood said:
Interesting that an Ogre Battle reference within the staff of TLR has popped up.

I know that everyone is saying that TLR's combat system is a "Gambit 1.5", but it's seemed to me that it's taking a page far more from the Ogre Battle series, and amping it up to include a larger palette of abilities.

My X360 RRoD'ed, so I still do not have this yet :(
Yeah, reading up on the details of the combat system, it reminded me of Ogre Battle and Riviera.

jett

D-Member
Amir0x said:

*shakes head*

Aeana

Llyranor said:
Hmm, nice impressions. Interest piqued now.

And can you really save anywhere?

Also, is it easy to avoid battles?

Yes, you can save anywhere. And it's very easy to avoid battles.

Llyranor

Thanks. Nice, nice.

I'm not sure I have a clear understanding on position/movement, though. How much control do you have over that? Do you enter a battle already in a preset formation? Do you move your unions yourself, or does it automatically get done depending on which orders you give? I'm trying to figure out how you go about triggering interference, flank attacks, lock-ins and whatnot.

Aeana

Llyranor said:
Thanks. Nice, nice.

I'm not sure I have a clear understanding on position/movement, though. How much control do you have over that? Do you enter a battle already in a preset formation? Do you move your unions yourself, or does it automatically get done depending on which orders you give? I'm trying to figure out how you go about triggering interference, flank attacks, lock-ins and whatnot.

You don't have direct control over movement. What you do have is a map showing you where every union is on the battlefield, and information about what unions the enemy unions are targeting. Enemy unions will always move to the union they are attacking, and unions always enter into a 'deadlock' when they engage, which pretty much locks them on the map.

Using this information, you can cause an interference by having a union attack an enemy union before they can reach their target. Flank attacks occur when you or an enemy union is attacked by a union when already deadlocked with another union.

I guess it sounds kind of complex, but once you're in there using it, it's really neat.

Darkpen

Banned
lol, I just finished watching the 4 vids on gamersyde for last remnant, and I have to say, the combat has piqued my interest. While the cutscenes, line delivery, localisation, and UE3 tech hurts all over (so much lost potential...), the game itself seems interesting enough for me to look forward to a hopefully polished and tweaked PS3 version.

`Moe Joe.

Banned
Does anyone else get annoyed
by how much of an effect curse curse has on your parties? God, those stupid birds. Gotta set my men to stand by.

Krelian

Bought the game today and I'm liking it so far, although I don't fully understand the battle system yet and I'm not very far either. I'll play some more later.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Darkpen said:
lol, I just finished watching the 4 vids on gamersyde for last remnant, and I have to say, the combat has piqued my interest. While the cutscenes, line delivery, localisation, and UE3 tech hurts all over (so much lost potential...), the game itself seems interesting enough for me to look forward to a hopefully polished and tweaked PS3 version.
Indeed.

Keep those impressions coming. I really want to buy this version but I am booked on games right now. I will likely get this when it hits PS3 next year sometime.

tokkun

RevenantKioku said:
I really can only assume the complaints are coming off of non installs. I really have practically none, other than wanting to kick Rush in the lack of testicles.

The Gamespot review really takes the game to task on the technical aspects, and they do mention installing the game.

Aeana

I just don't understand how a game can be knocked so low for having a few technical issues. Especially since they're not even close to game-breaking.

Amir0x

Banned
I guess I'll know when I start mine up, but the technical issues they mention are preeeetty significant. For me if a game has terrible loading, that's enough to knock it down a few points. It's the reason I knocked Fable II down a bunch... and that was "just" loading between areas. If you couple that with a bad framerate, well... I can see low scores.

I'll know later on when I pop it in.

duckroll

The Eurogamer review is pretty good. The reviewer actually goes into detail about what he liked and disliked about the game, and the complaints are pretty valid even though it's really a matter of how much you like certain aspects of the game. 6/10 is pretty low but at least he expresses himself well.

Aeana

Amir0x said:
I guess I'll know when I start mine up, but the technical issues they mention are preeeetty significant. For me if a game has terrible loading, that's enough to knock it down a few points. It's the reason I knocked Fable II down a bunch... and that was "just" loading between areas. If you couple that with a bad framerate, well... I can see low scores.

I'll know later on when I pop it in.

If you install the game, the loading is completely negligible. If you don't... well, I'm sorry. :(

Amir0x

Banned
I am going to install it. But Eurogamer mentions that even when installed, loading is still a problem. I think this is where it becomes a difference of opinion?

Top Bottom