• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Remnant |OT| of DON'T LISTEN TO REVIEWERS!

Aeana

2DMention said:
This looks like another semi-disaster like Infinite Undiscovery.

And with all the top-shelf RPGs already out, I think I'll wait till the summer or whenever this gets the inevitable price drop to $30, or ends up in the clearance area of Target.

I don't know how you could interpret it that way unless you haven't actually read the thread, which is full of very positive impressions.

Paznos

TheBranca18 said:
I know you asked someone else, but for me, I want to prolong my 360 as long as possible, so all multi-platform games I get on my PS3.
This is mainly my reason too and have been buying most multiplatform games on the PS3 as of late.

Ricker

I have a few questions also..by the way,like many have said, it's really too bad about the graphic bugs outside the battles, and slowdowns in battle,although the slowdowns actually help at times with the QTE hehe.I also installed it to the HDD,after playing without the installion at first and it really helps a lot for everything,but the pop-ins...they load faster but they are still there and there is way too many of them...now i'm not sure but I think the engine used for IU was not UE right? because there was no pop-ins in IU and the slowdowns where a lot less then this game,if they are looking for an engine,I think they should refine the IU engine and stop using the UE,it's really really bad in this game...that being said,the rest of the game so far is pretty good but i'm still confused by the battles.

My biggest gripe is the constant paning of the camera all over the place in battles,after you manage all the commands and it plays out...I find it hard to really get a sense of who is hitting who and "seeing" the action of my teamates,but I might just get use to that,I'm only about 2 hours in,it's almost still a tutorial for now...also when you are in Dreadlock and the second turn starts,it seems that it's no longer 100% turn based and some Unions are getting attacked slowly while I decide what arts or command to do?...also not still sure if you loot everything if you just skip to ok...I know you get a captured monster if you just skip to ok but if there's 2 other items.do you get one of the 2 or both.

Music is awesome,voice acting is pretty good,especially Emma,the walking/running animation is bad but that's a minore gripe,like when the character talk and they animate their arms and the like for expression,it's delayed from what they said..but those are nitpicks of mine.If the side quests are good,like some have said,and there's some customisation of your gear and all,I think this game could be a blast.

Tabs

Anybody try taking on Dominator before going to Elysion? I've tried a few different strategies, but I'm getting seriously owned by the acid breath. I'm battle rank 14 for what it's worth. Perhaps this is something that should be done later?

AgentOtaku said:
bah! ...the wait for the PS3 version is gonna suuuck! =(
it's not just the wait for it that'll suck. We all know by now that PS3 ports of UE3 games don't fare as well as their 360 counterparts as a rule, and it's already looking bad on the 360 side of things.

Either that or they'll (hopefully) take some extra time and really work at the PS3 version to fix the flaws apparent in the 360 one and give us a Bioshock-grade port, which would look good in comparison to what is on the 360.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Trav said:
Anybody try taking on Dominator before going to Elysion? I've tried a few different strategies, but I'm getting seriously owned by the acid breath. I'm battle rank 14 for what it's worth. Perhaps this is something that should be done later?

Uh, sounds like I shouldn't try then. I'm in the middle of the cave looking for it right now.

I love how easy it is to die in this game if you get too greedy with the monsters you link up before you fight. I only have 1 party right now, with 3 leaders in it. I tried splitting it up into 2 parties but the lone guy would picked off too quickly.

The "save anywhere" feature is prob the best thing to happen to console RPGs in a long time. That and the "HP and AP restores after every encounter" feature really make this game fun and not very frustrating, at the same time retaining the challenge through other design means.

Tabs

chespace said:
The "save anywhere" feature is prob the best thing to happen to console RPGs in a long time. That and the "HP and AP restores after every encounter" feature really make this game fun and not very frustrating, at the same time retaining the challenge through other design means.
Agreed on all accounts. The HP/AP restore and the sometimes lengthy battles gives the game a mini-SRPG feel.

In answer to Ricker's questions:
- I definitely got used to following the action after not being able to keep up at first. I look at the bottom left for which union is attacking (if I can't tell by voice), then follow the turn order in the upper left while watching for criticals.
- Battles are always turn-based, the time in between is just filler animation.
- You get all items. The text at the top is confusing.

chespace

So I'm in the middle of a grind and I find that I can no longer heal, but I clearly have herbs.

What's the deal with that?

duckroll

chespace said:

It's not new, Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song had the exact same features. There's a quicksave that works anywhere in the game, and HP restores after every battle. BP is encounter specific and starts building at the start of every battle. :p

chespace

duckroll said:
It's not new, Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song had the exact same features. There's a quicksave that works anywhere in the game, and HP restores after every battle. BP is encounter specific and starts building at the start of every battle. :p

True, AP does build at the beginning of every turn, but the fact that you don't have to worry about using your arts is very frustration-free.

Didn't know about Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song, but can you fucking blame me? :lol

Tabs

chespace said:
So I'm in the middle of a grind and I find that I can no longer heal, but I clearly have herbs.

What's the deal with that?
I don't think I've ever been denied the option if I was in the red. Bad luck? I guess you gotta pick the next best thing in that situation and hope a teammate reassesses his move (I love when that happens).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is really good :eek:

Save Anywhere is a controversial feature. Save points are historically used as warnings against an upcoming boss battle or a reminder to save your progress....after you "stumble" into a boss fight and lose an hour of progress, you'll wish the game had checkpoints.

Ricker

Trav said:
Agreed on all accounts. The HP/AP restore and the sometimes lengthy battles gives the game a mini-SRPG feel.

In answer to Ricker's questions:
- I definitely got used to following the action after not being able to keep up at first. I look at the bottom left for which union is attacking (if I can't tell by voice), then follow the turn order in the upper left while watching for criticals.
- Battles are always turn-based, the time in between is just filler animation.
- You get all items. The text at the top is confusing.

Ah ok thanks...I think i will break a rule ;) and open up the manual for this one...right now I finished the Atlum part and im back on the streets and Sykes wants to rescue is sister alone for now...I took the quest from the pub to go and rescue the kidnapped kid or whatever,recruited one leader but how come I can't get any members with me or him? I went everywhere,looked at the Union board and formation(which i can't seem to change anymore) and I almost get killed on regular monsters and died rather fast at the quest battle because there's like 3 waves of guys for them and i have no other members besides me,the guy i bought and the guest union or unit....I think I'm missing something now,this is the first quest in the game hehe...

Proc

Is this the xbox 360 j-rpg to get? I've skipped all of them up to this point, just haven't had the time.

chespace

Proc said:
Is this the xbox 360 j-rpg to get? I've skipped all of them up to this point, just haven't had the time.

You might want to check out Tales of Vesperia. I hear that's good.

I've only played Lost Odyssey and Last Remnant and I've enjoyed both immensely.

But of course, I'm pretty much sick of the JRPG genre as a whole so I need to game in moderation.

2 epic titles over the span of 9 months or so is just about right.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Y2Kev said:

Save Anywhere is a controversial feature. Save points are historically used as warnings against an upcoming boss battle or a reminder to save your progress....after you "stumble" into a boss fight and lose an hour of progress, you'll wish the game had checkpoints.
Well so far all story bosses in this game all had a transporter right before them, so looks like we are covered when it comes to warnings :p
I also had my first really long fight. 6 turns against a lone "monster" in a castle, with 4 unions (3 people in each) plus one guest union (one support character). It wasn't really hard, but it was the first time I had an enemy who could attack all the units around him at the same time, so it was a bit of a surprise when one unit I thought safe until the end of the turn got ko'd. My Battle Rank was (and still is) 25, and my biggest chain is at 120 for the moment.
I'm really enjoying the game, even though it's as generic (sorry about the bad word) as it gets in terms of story and characters.

Proc

chespace said:
You might want to check out Tales of Vesperia. I hear that's good.

I've only played Lost Odyssey and Last Remnant and I've enjoyed both immensely.

But of course, I'm pretty much sick of the JRPG genre as a whole so I need to game in moderation.

2 epic titles over the span of 9 months or so is just about right.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to see if any of those games have fallen in price at all before I get the new and shiny last remnant.

Xevren

I'm really liking this game, I just hate sometimes how when I really need to heal only the slowest person is willing to do an herb instead of someone faster, and that usually ends up in my death. Just have to be more protective I guess, I hope the story gets better because it's pretty meh worthy so far.

Nolan.

Y2Kev said:

Even with checkpoints I sometimes get myself into tough spots in some games. Dq8 for instance I found myself stumbling upon new regions with strong enemies desperately trying to flee and having to face them and getting slaughtered. I think sometimes depending on how good the game is you just get lost in exploring that you forget. I like both checkpoints and save anywhere. If you're worried about accidentally bumping into a boss they should do it like blue dragon. Where the checkpoint signal goes up (and the announcer makes it clear you're in a boss's domain) so you know you only have a few seconds if you continue going to bump into the boss.

Johann

Xevren said:
I'm really liking this game, I just hate sometimes how when I really need to heal only the slowest person is willing to do an herb instead of someone faster, and that usually ends up in my death. Just have to be more protective I guess, I hope the story gets better because it's pretty meh worthy so far.

It's funny how the attempts to appeal to the Japanese audience (Rush and his sister's plot especially) in the game is predictably dragging the story down for the Western audience. Otherwise, you have things like Emma, a powerful and independent, middle aged human woman, who is practically unheard of in JRPGs. Characters that old are washed out old fogies and woman don't go over the big three-oh.

Aeana

I was looking through old screenshots, and I came across a really old one from when the game was first announced. It's pretty crazy how much the game has changed.

Y2Kev

Blimblim said:
Well so far all story bosses in this game all had a transporter right before them, so looks like we are covered when it comes to warnings :p
I also had my first really long fight. 6 turns against a lone "monster" in a castle, with 4 unions (3 people in each) plus one guest union (one support character). It wasn't really hard, but it was the first time I had an enemy who could attack all the units around him at the same time, so it was a bit of a surprise when one unit I thought safe until the end of the turn got ko'd. My Battle Rank was (and still is) 25, and my biggest chain is at 120 for the moment.
I'm really enjoying the game, even though it's as generic (sorry about the bad word) as it gets in terms of story and characters.

Maybe! In dilmoore there's a transponder and two ways to go, and I went the wrong way and got stuck in a boss battle! Luckily I kicked ass.

The framerate is baaaaaad though. There has to be something up with the game's programming....sometimes the framerate drops for like no reason.

Aeana

Y2Kev said:
Maybe! In dilmoore there's a transponder and two ways to go, and I went the wrong way and got stuck in a boss battle! Luckily I kicked ass.

The framerate is baaaaaad though. There has to be something up with the game's programming....sometimes the framerate drops for like no reason.

I'm fairly certain that at least some of it (in battle) is intentional. Whether it was a good decision or not is another thing entirely, though.

Y2Kev

Maybe, but in that battle it slowed down so drastically that I was hitting the critical triggers "too fast."

Phthisis

DedicationThroughLight said:
It doesnt look like that anymore?

Different font, and the "Deadlock" screen shows both unions running at each other instead of a close-up like that.

My advice for people who are about to go to Ivory Hills: there's a rare monster there that's a wasp: do not link him to another enemy. I made the mistake of not looking at its status, and when got into battle, it killed one of my two unions, then it started Raidlocking Rush's union while a group of raptors was deadlocking the same union. Took me like 30 turns to beat everything because I had to keep healing every single turn. The wasp is probably pretty easy on its own, but it was a harder battle than any boss fight so far.

chespace

Phthisis said:
Different font, and the "Deadlock" screen shows both unions running at each other instead of a close-up like that.

My advice for people who are about to go to Ivory Hills: there's a rare monster there that's a wasp: do not link him to another enemy. I made the mistake of not looking at its status, and when got into battle, it killed one of my two unions, then it started Raidlocking Rush's union while a group of raptors was deadlocking the same union. Took me like 30 turns to beat everything because I had to keep healing every single turn. The wasp is probably pretty easy on its own, but it was a harder battle than any boss fight so far.

Holy shit dude. 30 turns?

:O

I just got a bunch of the union system opened up to me as I triggered the Elysion quest.

Yes, I am slow.

Gyoru

GameTrailers Review

Story: 8.2
Design: 8.7
Gameplay: 8.5
Presentation: 7.0

Total: 8.0

"The Last Remnant is a hard game to judge. A person's enjoyment of it will be directly related to how much they can tolerate the persistent graphical issues. If you can get past it, there's a lot to enjoy. The smart design decisions and its unique battle system."

Gyoru said:
GameTrailers Review

"The Last Remnant is a hard game to judge. A person's enjoyment of it will be directly related to how much they can tolerate the persistent graphical issues. If you can get past it, there's a lot to enjoy. The smart design decisions and its unique battle system."

Excellent review! ....kudos Gametrailers

Aeana said:

Click for fullsize.

It's different in every way.

lol, the Concept Pic/Pre Release Pictures, look totally more detailed and honestly better than that actual released one. Deadlocked looked MORE emphsaized in the pre release image.

Any reason why they changed it?

Aeana

DedicationThroughLight said:
lol, the Concept Pic/Pre Release Pictures, look totally more detailed and honestly better than that actual released one. Deadlocked looked MORE emphsaized in the pre release image.

Any reason why they changed it?

Well, the 'Deadlock' appears really big in the middle of the screen at first in the current game, too, but it has no other UI elements on the screen at that time, so I didn't link it.

Look here.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
chespace said:
True, AP does build at the beginning of every turn, but the fact that you don't have to worry about using your arts is very frustration-free.

Didn't know about Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song, but can you fucking blame me? :lol
Yes. Easily!

Teknoman

Zefah said:
Wow. Color me surprised. I had to look that up just because I couldn't believe you. From what I played of the Mirror's Edge demo, it looked nothing like any other UE3 game. No texture-pop, no performance problems, it had vibrant colors and great lighting, everything was extremely sharp and didn't look like it was covered in vaseline. How did EA pull it off? Let's hope they can share their abilities with Bioware for the next installment of Mass Effect.

I stand by my statement, but I have to exclude Mirror's Edge. It really makes me wonder why EA was able to do what they did with the engine when no one else seems to be able to fully understand how to work the thing.

Bioshock didnt seem that messy.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Gyoru said:
GameTrailers Review

Great review by gametrailers and it makes me wonder if some of the performance issues will be helped by installing on the hard drive.

Haunted

Zefah said:
Wow. Color me surprised. I had to look that up just because I couldn't believe you. From what I played of the Mirror's Edge demo, it looked nothing like any other UE3 game. No texture-pop, no performance problems, it had vibrant colors and great lighting, everything was extremely sharp and didn't look like it was covered in vaseline. How did EA pull it off? Let's hope they can share their abilities with Bioware for the next installment of Mass Effect.

I stand by my statement, but I have to exclude Mirror's Edge. It really makes me wonder why EA was able to do what they did with the engine when no one else seems to be able to fully understand how to work the thing.
pfft, EA.

:bow dice

ethelred

The more I play this game, the more I love it.

The combat system is just fantastic; original, full of depth, very speedy, flexible. It's addictive, actually. I had so much fun linking together enemies as soon as I hit Blackdale and building up a huge chain of battles. Fighting is fast and fun and it rewards the player after just about every instance of combat. Shortly after reaching Elysion I just wandered off and began going through about half a dozen different quests, exploring different dungeons, and just doing a whole lot of fighting.

The whole game feels like a wonderful fusion of Final Fantasy XII + Ogre Battle + SaGa (and Aeana reminds me that there's a good bit of Valkyrie Profile 2 in it as well). I can see some of the best elements of all of those games here, from VP2's emphasis on tactical movement within encounters to OB's squad construction and laissez-faire approach to battle commands to FF12's great implementation of mark hunting and guild/NPC quests and component looting (not to mention the many striking visual similarities). And the game does a good job of SaGa-style freeform character enhancement and recruitment. It offers a nice bit of openness without being smothering about it like SaGa and many western games can sometimes be. I like the versatility of the formations (and I have around a dozen right now). I like that critical triggers aren't just bland damage dealers but shape how battles play out in moving up ally turns. I like Mr. Diggs. I like that I always have the temptation to use timeshift to link enemies beyond my capacity to win a fight.

I also love the boss I just fought in the Numor Mines, and I love Emma.

It's really disappointing that so many people and especially so many reviewers are getting so hung up on utterly inconsequential technical details that do remarkably little to mar the actual gaming experience. With the game installed, loading is hardly any sort of an issue, and textures load after a second or two at most (it's hardly more severe here than in other notable UE games like Mass Effect). Much of the slow-down in battles is pretty obviously not an example of glitching -- some might be, but it's also clear that a lot of it is there by design, and when critical triggers are available, it's certainly helpful.

Regardless, minor graphical issues aren't a very good reason for almost unanimous ranking of such an excellently designed game down into the 6 range. It's really a shame if people ignore this game because of that kind of stuff, or judge it to be a failure or something like that.

Also:
Come on, let's kick some A.

Y2Kev said:
The gametrailers review makes the game look great.

The game is great.

Phthisis

Not a Jellyfish said:
Great review by gametrailers and it makes me wonder if some of the performance issues will be helped by installing on the hard drive.

They are. A lot.

This game is funny. I got Romancing SaGa way back when and I absolutely hated it. The Last Remnant is almost an exact build of what I always thought a sequel to Romancing SaGa would be, only they fixed everything I hated about it. I am really surprised at how much I like TLR.

Im somewhat of an jrpg noob having only really got into them this gen, ive completed all the big ones on 360 so far, im loving the look of this one just one thing is holding me back getting it. This battle system seems really complicated, im use to turn based party of five type system that seems to be the norm is this system far removed from that or just based on that with more people in play.

`Moe Joe.

Banned
On the note of critical triggers, I have trouble hitting them; however, as soon as slowdown happens, I have a much better chance. The slowdown can be beneficial too! :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Not a Jellyfish said:

They are greatly helped. Nothing gets solved completely, but the game becomes perfectly playable if it is installed. I put my first 5 hours into the game without installing and Square Enix really should have made the install a requirement. Having owned low-end PC hardware for years, I can put up with some performance problems, but the game is borderline unplayable when running it off the DVD. It is extremely choppy, textures sometimes don't even load at all and the load times are long enough to get annoying considering how often they appear. I was amazed at how much better the game ran once I installed it. The battles are just awful when running off the DVD, but other than the occasional framerate dip, they run great when playing off the hard drive.

If you are unwilling or unable to install the game (you only need to install 1 disk at a time, so about 6gb per disk), then you should really just pass on the game. It will be a very frustrating experience if you try to run it off the DVD.

Phthisis

supermackem said:
Im somewhat of an jrpg noob having only really got into them this gen, ive completed all the big ones on 360 so far, im loving the look of this one just one thing is holding me back getting it. This battle system seems really complicated, im use to turn based party of five type system that seems to be the norm is this system far removed from that or just based on that with more people in play.

It's such a mishmash of so many different types of battle systems seen in RPGs over the years that it's hard to describe. It is kind of complicated, but there's a lengthly tutorial section at the beginning of the game that lets you get accustomed to how it works and the difficulty of the game isn't really turned up until you have a handle on how it works. You should get it; it's a great experience.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Teknoman said:
Bioshock didnt seem that messy.

Bioshock was based off a heavily modified Unreal Engine 2.5 and later added in some Unreal Engine 3.0 technology, but it was largely a UE2.5 game with some heavy modifications. Even Bioshock shows some technical problems associated with UE3.0, namely the texture-loading issue which reared its ugly head on occasion in that game too.

`Moe Joe.

Banned
BTW does anyone have a list of all the achievement monsters? Is it the dominator and the like?

I'm not sure. I have killed the birds in Emma's side quest, etc + much more - to no achievement.

Y2Kev

The fiery idol is ganging up on me :(

edit: Down he goes! I love the tactical control you have. I find that the game is challenging, but it's not as the media has written (you don't need to grind). You simply need to play smarter.

Top Bottom