• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Official Thread |OT|

Gunloc said:
I love it when I truly high quality series does well. And it just proves that no genre is ever dead.

Now the series just needs to extend it's grip to the rest of the world. ^_^

It's sank its poisonous fangs of lust into me, I know that much.

i played this on yuteralds strong recommendations.

the ending of this game made my head explode so hard, a 999 true ending level of awesomeness.

truly a slow burn, but if you can enjoy what is has to offer within the first section you will end up seeing something that is truly, and i hate to use this word, but epic.

I'm in chapter 4 and pretty sure I'm in the last dungeon. The chapter started kind of slow, but the second half of it has been one hell of an experience so far.

Finished this earlier. All I can say is wow. The last chapter was amazing. Thought the chapter started a little slow, but it picked up and did not let go. And the ending.....
I thought for sure the twist was going to be just that Lorence was Joshua's brother or something, but my jaw hit the floor when Alba turned out to not be who he said he was. I loved it when Joshua called him out for being there at just the right times -- it's like they took a major RPG trope and said, "Nope! Too convenient."

And then Joshua left? Awesome. I am pumped for the second chapter.

Having just played Tears of Vermillion before this, I can see a lot of parallels between this game and the first two chapters of that game.

The full interview Siliconera did with Falcom is up now.

Some interesting quotes. Here's my favorite part:

Siliconera: While still very popular in Japan, it seems like the PSP’s presence is shrinking in North America. How do you think you will release PSP games like the rest of the Trails in the Sky series, Zero no Kiseki, and Ao no Kiseki, overseas?

Falcom: I think this is an obstacle being faced not only by the Trails/Kiseki series, but all PSP games in Japan right now. It may be hard to imagine in North America, but in Japan, the PSP is the best-selling game platform, so it’s not quite as simple as just deciding to make a game for one of the HD platforms like PS3 or Xbox 360.

It is a dilemma of sorts, but I think the important thing is to let people know that there are a lot of games worth playing in Japan. As the user numbers go up, there’ll be more options to choose from for everyone. So we would like to keep releasing more titles in North America to help spread this mindset.

The PSP situation in the West is so depressing. Japan is going wild for it but hardly anyone elsewhere will buy software for it. Hopefully the NGP will be different.

Speaking of which, I'm insanely curious what Falcom's NGP launch title is. Not to mention their next Ys game. "People will be surprised", eh? PS3 Ys confirmed!
Ha, I wish.

vall03

just read the interview, and it looks like Falcom is now considering to expand their games in the west. As long as we get SC, 3rd, Ys vs SnK, Zero and Ao, Im happy. The PSP will still live!

And personally, I think it looks kind of janky and I have serious doubts about how good it will be.

A lot of the charm of both games comes from being able to wander around and explore the world at your own pace through the sidequests and whatnot. I just can't see the elements that sets Trails apart from other games translating over to a television show that well. Sure, the main plotline of SC is pretty cool, but what makes the game tick is everything else working WITH that.

So yeah, not too optimistic on that one. The fact that it'll probably end up ruining the plot twists for SC for a ton of Western fans doesn't help, either.

Aeana

There's no reason to expect it to be good. The manga isn't very good either. I'll happily stick to the games.

Aeana

Not yet. I probably will once I finish The Witcher 2 and give Kenzan a go since Segata was nice enough to send it to me.

I've been jonesing for any Kiseki news I can get my mitts on. I'm pretty much completely spoiled on the first three games (unintentionally), but I don't know that much about Zero or Ao.

But every time new Ao news comes out, I'm all over it. It's an addiction. (And I hate being spoiled on stuff.)

Aeana

I accidentally spoiled myself on some Zero stuff while reading the Falcom Magazine issues. Nothing too bad though, I don't think.

Xiaoki

Gunloc said:
Here's a link to the trailer for the Sora no Kiseki/Trails in the Sky anime.

It's pretty sweet, but beware, as it contains spoilers from the first and second game in the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUYgjabz1I4
Interesting, hope it expands on character development a lot. I found the characters to be a bit one dimensional typical super cliches.

I especially hated
that Estelle fell in love with Joshua. Why is it that every single freakin' time in manga/anime/games if they arent related by blood the brother and sister will get together? Its disturbing and creepy.

Xiaoki said:
Interesting, hope it expands on character development a lot. I found the characters to be a bit one dimensional typical super cliches.
I agree that the characters are definitely based on some familiar archetypes, but I thought they did a really good job of giving them dimension. And really, what isn't an archetype of some sort now?

Xiaoki said:
I especially hated
that Estelle fell in love with Joshua. Why is it that every single freakin' time in manga/anime/games if they arent related by blood the brother and sister will get together? Its disturbing and creepy.
I didn't really like that part either until the ending. I'm a lot more on-board with it now.

SpaceDrake said:
And personally, I think it looks kind of janky and I have serious doubts about how good it will be.

No kidding. The faces are the worst part. Given the staff and animation studio involved, I can't hold out much hope. Too bad; it could be the first introduction to the Kiseki world for a fair number of people.

Xiaoki said:

There is no way a condensed anime series which will be at best 24 episodes will contain more character development than two leisurely 50+ hour games.

I don't know what to say if you found everyone one dimensional; I thought all of the main characters were nicely fleshed out, especially with all the side material available. Estelle and Joshua's relationship was sensitively and naturally handled; I can fully believe how it progressed from their first meeting at the beginning to the very end.

Xiaoki said:

SC does expand on the cast in terms of depth quite a bit; having set these people up, it now examines what makes them tick and why they do what they do. A few of them remain pretty squarely in the bounds of their tropes - I suspect most people have probably already got Agate mostly figured out now, for example - but some of them are driven in ways you really might not expect. That said, I thought there were still some interestingly-developed characters in FC - Col. Richard
makes for an excellent villain whose motivations are way more down-to-earth and believable than most villains you find in this genre, AND his morals are consistent to the bitter end
. Cassius was also interesting in that
you wouldn't quite expect such a skilled man to consider himself such a degenerate loser - where everyone else sees a confident hero, he thinks of himself as a failure and a (deserving) outcast

As for the whole Joshua-Estelle relationship thing,
I was able to buy into the romantic aspect a lot more in the ending myself, in no small part because it becomes obvious that Joshua never considered himself a "brother" in the first place; he thought of himself as, and acted like, a houseguest, not a family member. I could really buy in to the idea that he'd fallen for this girl who bounced into his life (quite literally, and slightly painfully) since he already has a sister that nobody can really replace, so what Estelle becomes is obvious and natural. In the end, what he DOES is of questionable moral character, but then questionable morality is kind of the point with The J, extending all the way back to the prologue if you pay attention.

Estelle was a bit more weird but I could still see it - unlike a lot of these other "non-blood-related people who live as siblings then fall for each other" situations you find in JRPGs, the both of them met basically on the cusp of teenager-hood (unlike, say, Lunar, where the leads had lived together since they were babies, now that was weird) and so it wasn't totally out there that Estelle might feel something for Joshua that she didn't realize at first. And heck, the game sold me on Estelle because what she felt freaked her out for a bit and it took her basically most of the game to sort through her feelings.

So tldr, I was down with what happened, especially by the end.

i thought estelle was pretty believable (and likeable) as a tomboy, and one of the funnier female characters in a cliche-addled and moribund genre.

Zekes!

I just picked this up a couple days ago. I'm on to...Chapter 1? (I just left the first town). I think I've played for 8 hours so far, which seems to me, way too long. I really like it from the get go, though.

It's worth keeping in mind that the "prologue" is basically a full chapter all to itself; it sets up the entire rest of the story (and even establishes some important stuff for SC!) Eight hours is pretty normal.

SpaceDrake said:
As for the whole Joshua-Estelle relationship thing,
I was able to buy into the romantic aspect a lot more in the ending myself, in no small part because it becomes obvious that Joshua never considered himself a "brother" in the first place; he thought of himself as, and acted like, a houseguest, not a family member. I could really buy in to the idea that he'd fallen for this girl who bounced into his life (quite literally, and slightly painfully) since he already has a sister that nobody can really replace, so what Estelle becomes is obvious and natural. In the end, what he DOES is of questionable moral character, but then questionable morality is kind of the point with The J, extending all the way back to the prologue if you pay attention.

I don't know if this goes against what happens in later games but
I got from his post-mindfuck dialogue that he was "allowing" himself to feel belonging and loved that he craved then *POW* "No, fuck you, you're a goddamn psycopath child murderer, nothing more, and fuck you", hence him bolting into the night believing thats what the "real" Joshua is and always truly will be.

i thought estelle was pretty believable (and likeable) as a tomboy, and one of the funnier female characters in a cliche-addled and moribund genre.

Kernel of archetype, then you learn more. It's much like you've been introduced to a person and you go from 1st impression to knowing them very well.

Hmm, finished it, interesting ending but given comments here I feel a little letdown there wasn't more meat revealed, I guess I kept expecting the plot to go faster to places where it didn't go or it went really slowly.

End game spoilers
Seriously saw Alba coming, both during the game (yeah you're on top on the towers for nothing and no one knows how you got up there and I can't do shit on them, why I wondered such coincidences) and the ending (the final newspaper said a few things about lights in the towers *and* I went to the museum and Alba wasn't there and the receptionist didn't know his whereabouts).

Liked it quite a bit anyway, although I need some good rest before picking up the next one.

Akainu said:
So I just got this game and was wondering if there is a new game +?

There is indeed, in multiple flavors. You can carry various things over, including items, levels, and you can even make the game substantially harder.

Akainu

SpaceDrake said:
There is indeed, in multiple flavors. You can carry various things over, including items, levels, and you can even make the game substantially harder.
Nice, nice. I'm pretty pumped to start playing.

Akainu

So I've been playing this game for like 24 hours most of it was running around talking to everyone and power leveling and I like it. But...who was the guy that sat down a said, "YES! This is a beautiful masterpiece! THIS IS THE GAME'S BOSS MUSIC!" It's just so bad and all the other piece in the game are great, but this boss battle music is just horrible.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Akainu said:
That's good to hear. I just finished the prologue. Do I have a long ways to go? D:
I don't think the boss music changed until the last chapter, but I don't remember for sure. I DO remember that
the song played a few times before that though, so you might recognize it when you hear it.

This game had a pretty weak soundtrack in general in my opinion, which sucks because the everything else about the game was really good.

Ricker

Hey guys,I`m trying to do the Candelabrum Theft sidequest before it expires in Ruan(
before going out to the theater/play part of the game
)...I`m at the last clue :
Rest at the land harbor and look to the one eyed lion
....can`t find where to go exactly,is it still in Ruan?

Ricker said:
Hey guys,I`m trying to do the Candelabrum Theft sidequest before it expires in Ruan(
before going out to the theater/play part of the game
)...I`m at the last clue :
Rest at the land harbor and look to the one eyed lion
....can`t find where to go exactly,is it still in Ruan?

Yes.
The "land harbor" is a place for ships that don't move through the sea.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Whatsup yall

Thinking about diving into this game tomorrow. I have a $50 PSN card and would like a nice JRPG for the summer. This game has a lot of positive buzz, and I would like to try it out.

What's the one game that you could compare this game to? It looks kinda Star Ocean-y in its artistic design. Is there a legit villain in this game?

... I wish there was a demo for this, but I'm willing to take the plunge from just reading this thread.

Adam Prime said:
Whatsup yall

Thinking about diving into this game tomorrow. I have a $50 PSN card and would like a nice JRPG for the summer. This game has a lot of positive buzz, and I would like to try it out.

What's the one game that you could compare this game to? It looks kinda Star Ocean-y in its artistic design. Is there a legit villain in this game?

... I wish there was a demo for this, but I'm willing to take the plunge from just reading this thread.

I haven't played them myself, but Grandia/Lunar are the RPGs people most compare this to.

There is most definitely a legitimate villain, though it takes some time to reveal who it is.

Adam Prime said:
Whatsup yall

lunar and grandia is right. there is a villain, hard to describe him more without spoiling anything. just keep in mind this is just the beginning of an expansive saga.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just downloaded the game last night, went up to the Bracer test. Game is really fun, visually it's impressive to rotate the screen around.

I do not understand AT ALL the whole crystal linking system. I read the manual, and that shit makes no sense. I suppose I'll just figure it out as I go, anyone have any helpful hints?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Adam Prime said:
Just downloaded the game last night, went up to the Bracer test. Game is really fun, visually it's impressive to rotate the screen around.

I do not understand AT ALL the whole crystal linking system. I read the manual, and that shit makes no sense. I suppose I'll just figure it out as I go, anyone have any helpful hints?
It's not as complicated as it seems. You'll probably figure it out as you go.

First of all, each orbment is unique and has "branches." It's important to organize your quartz because each branch determines what magic you get separately. A spell that requires 3 water and 2 space points has to have all five points in one branch. It shows how many points each individual branches has on the top right corner when messing with your quartz I think.

And each quartz has a number of points it assigns. Early on it's just like one water, or one fire. But later you'll get quartz that offer more points and combinations will get more complex. You'll want to find a good balance between good magic and abilities provided by the quartz.

You can check the bracer notebook and it tells you how many points each spell requires.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Woops, I posted this in the wrong thread previously- anyhow:

I can't figure out how to get past the install quartz into orbaments tutorial in the beginning of the game. She's telling me I need to be able to use both recovery and attack arts.

I opened my orbament menu, and gave estelle a fire element and gave joshua the time element (the only one he can equip). This wasn't correct. What am I supposed to do here?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
FlyinJ said:

I can't figure out how to get past the install quartz into orbaments tutorial in the beginning of the game. She's telling me I need to be able to use both recovery and attack arts.

I opened my orbament menu, and gave estelle a fire element and gave joshua the time element (the only one he can equip). This wasn't correct. What am I supposed to do here?
you've gotta equip an attack and support for BOTH characters. The girl has an attack and healing spell and the dude has an attack and time speed up spell.

obviously I just started playing, I don't know the character's names!

what am i not getting about this game?...

i've left town &
am in bose, investigating the missing airship
. & i am bored outta my skull! :) there's nothing inherently wrong with the game, or the mechanics, but between the sticky-gooey 'nice' vibe, & the story moving along at such a friggin' snail's pace, i'm really having a hard time caring about what might happen, or even remembering what already has...

so do things eventually pick up some? or is this game just not for me? i was completely blown away by radiant historia, & was anticipating something maybe not necessarily as good, but at least well made, interesting & fun. & right now i'm only seeing well made...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It picks up (the last chapter in particular is awesome), but as a whole it's a fairly slow and light hearted game. The prologue is definitely the slowest part of the game though, it picks up toward the end of each chapter and there will be a lot of key story elements that you might not catch at first. If you're looking for something faster or more dramatic it might not be for you. Edit: I'd agree that around the second half of the second chapter is where it noticeably comes together and picks up.

It's the opening to a much bigger story, but the pace didn't really bother me. It was a nice change after stuff like FF13.

I think you need to equip a water quartz for healing(recovery) but I don't remember exactly.

semiconscious said:
what am i not getting about this game?...

i've left town &
am in bose, investigating the missing airship
. & i am bored outta my skull! :) there's nothing inherently wrong with the game, or the mechanics, but between the sticky-gooey 'nice' vibe, & the story moving along at such a friggin' snail's pace, i'm really having a hard time caring about what might happen, or even remembering what already has...

so do things eventually pick up some? or is this game just not for me? i was completely blown away by radiant historia, & was anticipating something maybe not necessarily as good, but at least well made, interesting & fun. & right now i'm only seeing well made...
The game pace is very slow compared to a lot of games (what with all the conversing and quests), so it's possible the game isn't for you. I quite like the slow pace myself, but I'm not a huge fan of all the sidequests slowing down the game.

As for keeping track of what's going, I don't think it's too important to take in everything if you don't want to. If there are any important world or story details, you'll hear them time and time again or when the moment is right (otherwise, you can always read the Bracer's notebook). Eventually, a lot of these details could probably be engraved in you...

I believe a few people have said, and I kind of agree with them, that the game starts picking up around midway through Chapter 2 (or towards the end), but just don't expect the pace to get much faster than it is now.

The plot also gets darker, but it takes its time getting there (by the time you reach the 2nd and 3rd game, you can definitely tell a lot of sinister things are going on in the world) and the atmosphere is still generally "happy" most of the time.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Haha funny that you guys talk about the slow pace, my very first thought when controlling the characters for the first time was "OH SHIT THEY RUN SO FAST! And I don't even have to hold down a button for them to run! FINALLLLY!"

Man go play some of the OG Final Fantasy or games on the SNES/PSX the fucking characters move like snails around the screen compared to this game. It was freaking nice of them to update that modern convention!

thanks for the responses - i'll probably be passing on this, i guess :( ...

Adam Prime said:
Haha funny that you guys talk about the slow pace, my very first thought when controlling the characters for the first time was "OH SHIT THEY RUN SO FAST! And I don't even have to hold down a button for them to run! FINALLLLY!"

if everything else in the game (story/combat) moved at the same pace the characters do, i likely wouldn't have a problem with it :) ...

Top Bottom