• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Official Thread |OT|

semiconscious said:
thanks for the responses - i'll probably be passing on this, i guess :( ...
If you're looking for fast-paced action, this is indeed not the game for you. I actually like Trails in the Sky better than Radiant Historia due to its deeper world and character building; its deliberate pace and attention to detail create one of the most convincing worlds I've ever seen in a game. It's like an extended novel as opposed to a page-turning thriller. The payoff at the end is so, so good. I can see why it's difficult to get into for some people though.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Oh shit I just realized that you can press select to bring up a color coded map of the area you're in and press Square to show you the names of the roads and their NSEW location relative to your position! And I LOVE how the game just lets you Retry the last battle instead of sending you to the Game Over screen. That shit is great! Now I don't feel the need to Save before every battle because you-never-know what's going to happen.

This game brings so many modern conventions to an otherwise very traditional RPG! I wish other games that did HD Remixes (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest) would make improvements that don't take away from game play like this game does. Very impressed with just how much thought went into the non-gameplay conventions of this game!

... right now I'm only two hours in and my characters are taking a lot of damage. First thing I did with money after quests was upgrade armor. Is the game just kinda, like this? I feel like if I have three enemies attack me in succession I am going to be dead or very close to it.

the game at easy-medium difficulty. a few quest and boss fights can be tough but everything stays managable on your first try. i got wiped very rarely.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Finally got past the tutorial. This game has old-school Ultima4/Goldbox tactical combat! I had no idea. So awesome.

RiderKairuu said:
I've been waiting to catch this game on the cheap. Im starting to think that may be a bad idea lol.

The more copies XSEED moves at full price, the better a guarantee we have of SC coming over. Just keep that in mind.

Gvaz

Banned
I would buy this for my psp, but I'm not interested in buying anything for my PSP anymore. I'd rather get it on the PC like I did with Recettear.

Gvaz said:
I would buy this for my psp, but I'm not interested in buying anything for my PSP anymore. I'd rather get it on the PC like I did with Recettear.

Unfortunately, there's been no real word on the PC versions coming over, so it's hard to say if we'll actually get them. I'd just bite the bullet and take the PSP plunge one last time.

Dragon

Banned
I'm about 35 hours in and I assume I'm in the final dungeon. This game is pure awesome. The world they've presented is incredibly full and lush and believable. I love the side characters that go in and out of the story. Olivier is plain hilarious.

As far as I can tell this translation is really amazing. I've laughed out loud numerous times.

The thing I love most about the world is how believable it is. Almost nostalgic.

Has the second one in the series been announced for the US yet?

kasavin

Just popping in to say I too am enjoying this game so far. I felt a weird sadness after finishing Tactics Ogre before this, like I knew I wasn't going to play a game I liked that much for a while, but Trails is a good follow-up. Great localization, interesting and satisfying combat, and good interface once you get used to it. I'm still amazed that I've played my PSP more than any other game system this year.

Clevinger said:
Wait, is this true?
Yep, an XSEED rep confirmed it.

All three games in the Trails in the Sky trilogy has it's voice acting completed. (Though remember that the only voice acting is during battles.)

Sadly, this does not include Zero no Kiseki or Ao no Kiseki (yet), but hopefully the series will continue to grow in the west.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just started up on Chapter 1 this morning.

Like everyone else, LOVING the game. The writing is so great. I love being able to play a SNES/PSX era type of RPG again. I may be in the minority but I LOVE reading my RPGs instead of listening to voice actors for 50+ hours. It's so refreshing! I really wish this game had an in-game encyclopedia to keep up with the names of everything and the locations and their history.

That's about my only complaint. Oh yeah and the music is generic-tier. That's disappointing. Everything else makes up for it though. I kinda wish I had purchased the UMD version, but the PSN version loads so fast on every screen!!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Gunloc said:
Yep, an XSEED rep confirmed it.

All three games in the Trails in the Sky trilogy has it's voice acting completed. (Though remember that the only voice acting is during battles.)

Sadly, this does not include Zero no Kiseki or Ao no Kiseki (yet), but hopefully the series will continue to grow in the west.
I'm holding out hope but expecting the worst. If it's going to take them a year for each release (that's how it's looking so far) they are looking at a 2015 release for Ao no Kiseki, and releasing a PSP game in 2015, even digital only, will take some balls of steel.

And yeah, the final dungeon had great music, probably is the best piece in the game. As I mentioned before, I found the soundtrack to be the weakest part of the game. Most of my issues with the game were extremely minor nitpicks, and even the weak soundtrack wasn't bad, it just wasn't what I expected from Falcom.

Eusis

I'm REALLY hoping Zero and Ao get Vita updates if PSP retail or even download releases won't cut it, then there shouldn't be any worry about whether or not we get them. Unless SCEA gets a stick up their ass about ports from PSP and ignore that this is the only opportunity for some of these later games to come out here.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The only thing I DON'T like about the combat is I've never played a game where your normal combat attacks miss so often.

Hey Joshua, you hit that monster one more time, he's toast, which is good since his turn is a critical attack turn.

*miss*

YOU FUCKER!

*monster attacks Estelle*

THWAK! 250HP!

YOU FUCKING FUCKER!

wrowa

Final boss questions (or at least what I think is the final boss)

Can someone recommend me a party for the last part of the game? I'm currently using Scherazard and Olivier besides Estelle and Joshua, but the third boss devastates me. I'm not able to damage him more than one third or one quarter of his HP before he starts killing me. The drones are also so numerous that I don't even have a chance to kill them if I want to damage the boss.

Well, what's the best tactic against him? Which party makes the most sense? I guess I have to grind a bit before fighting him... Even if that means having to fight against the first two bosses again, sigh.

Macstorm

truly101 said:
The only thing I DON'T like about the combat is I've never played a game where your normal combat attacks miss so often.

Hey Joshua, you hit that monster one more time, he's toast, which is good since his turn is a critical attack turn.

*miss*

YOU FUCKER!

*monster attacks Estelle*

THWAK! 250HP!

YOU FUCKING FUCKER!
Yeah, I hated that early on, but after some good upgrades I was fine. Chapter 1 is rough like that, but gets better.

wrowa

Okay, finished the game. The ending was great, I absolutely look forward to SC, even though I kinda fear that I won't be able to play it. (Thanks to the dying PSP market and me being European -- I don't know if I will be able to play it if XSeed should decide to release it download-only or something. Here's hoping that they decide to release the PC versions too).

Generally, though, my impressions are kind of a mixed bag. I really enjoyed the game and I had a lot of fun with it, but there are certain points I didn't like so much.

The characters are great. Estelle and Joshua are two of the most memorable RPG leads in existence and the same is true for the side-characters. They are thought out really well, and they hit the middle-ground between stereotypical archetypes and interesting personalities.

The story itself though, is for the most part your average JRPG story. It takes some interesting turns towards the end, but most of Estelle's and Joshua's journey is exactly what you have seen in roundabout a billion other RPGs. I'm not critisizing the light-heartedness of the story, though, I just don't think that most of the events are very imaginative. The story progression is slow, but that didn't matter to me. I like slow-paced stories that take the time to flesh out the world and characters and Trails fits that bill.

The worldview on the other hand nearly makes up for the plot shortcomings. Nearly. Falcom has made a world that actually feels credible. The world has a story, the inhabitants are nice, there are many nice things to discover that are actually completely useless, but they are there. Some of the sidequests - like collecting the novel chapters - are so bad and involve so much stupid running and being at random places at a
specific time that I from time to time got fed up by the world, though.

Generally, I think that the sidequest system is rather bad. Even if you check the guilds constantly it's easy to miss a few. And since you don't have a clue when they are going to expire, I felt kinda forced to do every single available quest immediately.
I love sidequests, they are adding so much to the world of a game and they make it feel more vivid and credible, but as soon as I feel forced by the game to do the quests now rather than later - even though right now I would like to continue in the actual story - it becomes frustrating easily.

Gameplay-wise it's nothing special. The areas are rather tubey, the battle system is cool, but in the end it's just yet another RPG. That's not bad, though, and I think it has some very nice features (being able to save any time is fantastic, same goes for the lack of a game over screen), but it can become tedious at times.
I don't think anyone plays Trails expecting great gameplay. It's a game about the characters and story. And that's where it's great -- the time spent reading is definitely the best time.

The only area that leaves me disappointed is the soundtrack, actually. There are only a few tracks I really liked, and many really became annoying rather quickly -- the battle theme for example. I hate that battle theme.

My enjoyment might have been hindered a bit by me getting headaches rather frequently when playing the game. I guess it's because I'm playing on a PSP-1000 and the ghosting is really incredibly awful in this game.

Oh, am I the only one who kinda dislikes the colors in this game? It's like there's a grey filter over everything.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'm still in the first chapter and just ran into Oliver. Wow, what a character. I literally LOL at the banter between him and the rest of the party. Amazing character writing! I haven't played a game where I was so entertained by the writing since the Phoenix Wright series, Persona 3 and Persona 4.

wrowa said:

The colors don't bother me. I'm playing on a 2000, no complaints.

I'm still very early on, and I'm with you. I HATE the battle theme. I usually have my PSP on the first bar of sound, if not muted, when playing. The music, as I've already posted is super generic, although I hear it gets better in some parts. And I can see how this game can be frustrating for some completionists with the strict timing on side quests and getting those books. The way I'm playing right now, it doesn't bother me. I do what I can and don't care what I miss... but I do try to do everything that is available.

I like the battle system, yeah it's nothing overly special - but honestly I don't think it's any less riveting than the Materia/Junction/Crystal system in PSX Final Fantasy games. It's interesting enough, and you can create character "classes" yourself to feel like you have some level of customization in your characters. I don't know where I would rank it against other games, but I'm still early on in the game and I'm enjoying what it provides.

I'm also really impressed by the graphics in the game. I was honestly shocked when I learned that I could do a full 360 rotation (in most parts) of the game. There's a nice level of detail in just about every section of the game.

... All in all, this is a great summer RPG experience for myself. Saving everywhere and putting the game in Sleep mode is the perfect way to play any JRPG. I play in very short bursts when watching a movie with my daughter or playing before bed. I really have no complaints other than I wish there was an encyclopedia feature in the game that reminds you of places, people, and events that have been discussed in the story like modern RPGs (FFXIII comes to mind, I know others).

If there's any complaint, is that sometimes the game is too slow, and the music is too drowsy sometimes. I've literally fallen asleep playing the game in bed while my wife is reading, haha. She'll wake me up, "That must be an exciting game, huh?" lol

Cheska

Congratulations GAF, all this high praise has gotten me to unwrap my LE and finally giving this game a shot. Here's to hoping it lives up to the hype, you guys haven't let me down yet.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Cheska said:
Congratulations GAF, all this high praise has gotten me to unwrap my LE and finally giving this game a shot. Here's to hoping it lives up to the hype, you guys haven't let me down yet.

If you love SNES/PSX Squaresoft era JRPGs, I cannot see how it is possible to not enjoy this game. The writing is better than most of those games, and this game has so many modern conventions that make it more enjoyable to play.

Macstorm

Cheska said:
It is a slow burn, so if you don't like it in the first few hours know that things improve.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I love this game. Here's my personal benchmark for a good battle system:

I was out on an exterminate quest, and I got bodied by the monsters I was fighting, died like four times (probably more). I didn't level up, I didn't purchase better equipment, and I didn't purchase better spells. After every loss, I figured out what went wrong, messed around with my battle position and figured out better combinations of Quartz to make better spells. I better utilized what I had in that moment to pull out the victory and do it rather convincingly! No grinding or "I'll come back with better shit" necessary.

That's some real good game play. Definitely makes me love the game even more!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
That's not that hot of a deal for a "lightning deal," eh?

Oh, it looks like the Standard Edition will be available as a Lightning Deal later on today.

Better to wait for the SE or not?

Princess Skittles said:
That's not that hot of a deal for a "lightning deal," eh?

Oh, it looks like the Standard Edition will be available as a Lightning Deal later on today.

Better to wait for the SE or not?

By purchasing the Limited Edition, you do get a sweet poster and soundtrack, your very own Bracer Emblem, and the satisfaction of supporting a quality niche publisher. I'd say it's worth it.

Yuterald

Cheska said:

I'm so jealous of those who have not finished this game yet. The first time through this game, learning about the world and characters, and seeing how the game finishes is such an awesome experience.

I honestly cannot understand how any RPG fan would wait to play this game. If you were in the middle of any other RPG, just drop it, and put it in your backlog. For those who have not dove into this yet stop procrastinating and prioritize. Trails in the Sky is essential RPGing.

I can't believe this was sitting around untranslated for years. I still think about the ending and it's been months since I've finished it. Savor every moment. Enjoy. It's such a special game.

creid

I will probably never have the time to play this, but I just ordered the SE from Amazon because lord knows great JRPGs need my support. Especially if we're ever going to see SC.

This game is incredibly awesome, and the Premium Edition is quite the effort by XSeed. They can keep releasing LoH games until 2015 and I'd still buy them, no questions asked. This series is too awesome to ignore. Besides, doesn't Sony have that 10 year deal with each system, anyway?

randomkid

The Amazon SE deal is up, $19.99 right now with free shipping, finally nabbed a copy for myself.

One of you superfans oughtta post a new thread to advertise, heh.

creid said:
I will probably never have the time to play this, but I just ordered the SE from Amazon because lord knows great JRPGs need my support. Especially if we're ever going to see SC.

Thank you, good sir; and when you do get around to it, it'll repay you with a great 40 hours.

At those prices, anyone on the fence should be leaping off right now.

Do you like RPGs? If the answer is yes, then play this game! :)

I really need to start playing this game again. I got into chapter 3 and stopped playing a few months ago. I was enjoying it too, despite it's slow pacing.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
randomkid said:
The Amazon SE deal is up, $19.99 right now with free shipping, finally nabbed a copy for myself.

One of you superfans oughtta post a new thread to advertise, heh.

Aw man what a steal. I got mine off PSN, and I would really like a physical copy... ! But I'll just leave it and hope that someone gets to buy the game. :)

Trying to go in blank slate (story wise) so I'm not reading reviews etc.

A few questions here that gaf can hopefully answer to help me decide if I want to get it.

-Story : Do the characters grow on you? Is the overarching story great? (or generic)
All ages thing or teenage drama stuff?
-World: does it feel like an adventure/wonder type of deal? Or is it fairly generic?
-Combat? Well paced or not? repetitive or not? truely interesting mechanics ? or just grind and bar filling/unlocking carrots.

I've enjoyed very few rpgs over the last 20 years, but the ones I did enjoy I loved.
Keep chasing that elusive quality story and world and combat but the closest I've come in recent years is ys7 (combat and pacing and world, not story).

SneakyStephan said:
Trying to go in blank slate (story wise) so I'm not reading reviews etc.

A few questions here that gaf can hopefully answer to help me decide if I want to get it.

-Story : Do the characters grow on you? Is the overarching story great? (or generic)
All ages thing or teenage drama stuff?
-World: does it feel like an adventure/wonder type of deal? Or is it fairly generic?
-Combat? Well paced or not? repetitive or not? truely interesting mechanics ? or just grind and bar filling/unlocking carrots.

I've enjoyed very few rpgs over the last 20 years, but the ones I did enjoy I loved.
Keep chasing that elusive quality story and world and combat but the closest I've come in recent years is ys7 (combat and pacing and world, not story).

Check, check, and check. The overarching story is great - slow to develop, but that just allows them further opportunity to expand on the characters and world Falcom has created. And what a world! It's is one of the most deeply realized I've ever seen in a video game, with careful thought given to its history, politics, economics, culture, etc. The characters are well-realized as well; even random town NPCs are memorable. The central duo are teenagers, and the plot revolves around their coming of age as they explore the country they were born in and learn about themselves and each other while doing so (in addition to getting roped into events with far-reaching implications). But even though there's drama, there's no melodramatic "teenage drama" nonsense; the characterization is very believable.

The combat system is fun; turn-based on a grid with a good character customization system and a variety of possible options in battle. It's not overly difficult, but does require and reward careful thought and planning.

You should definitely pick it up. It's one of my favorite RPGs ever.

White Man

Gvaz said:

Speaking of which, why has Recettear not ended up on PSP or DS? I dig it tons on steam, but nowadays most of my pc gaming is done on notebook or netbook and plugging a controller into a machine isn't so convenient.

White Man said:
Speaking of which, why has Recettear not ended up on PSP or DS? I dig it tons on steam, but nowadays most of my pc gaming is done on notebook or netbook and plugging a controller into a machine isn't so convenient.

Recettear is made by a doujin group which only develops for PCs.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
semiconscious said:
what am i not getting about this game?...

i've left town &
am in bose, investigating the missing airship
. & i am bored outta my skull! :) there's nothing inherently wrong with the game, or the mechanics, but between the sticky-gooey 'nice' vibe, & the story moving along at such a friggin' snail's pace, i'm really having a hard time caring about what might happen, or even remembering what already has...

I agree, I'm about 15 hours in now. Battle system is fun enough, music is nice etc but the dialogues... I usually can stand most conversations in JRPGs, but in TitS they happen so frequently and just go on and on about pointless stuff. I (sadly) find myself skipping more and more of the dialogues between Joshua and Estelle until something interesting actually happens in the story because it's the same kind of predictable reactions and dialogues on repeat. And yeah, the story moves slow as well.
Still, I find it good enough to keep playing, there have been a few times where dialogues contain less repetition and has more serious, meaningful content, where the story (seems to) pick up and the characters are likable and interesting.

Ricker

I`m a little pissed right now at this game because I love this game...chapter 3 stuff,I am level 20,not some big spoilers but just in case:

I`m at the part where I have to go to the Inn while Tita is in the shed fixing the pump,once I reach the Inn some guy walks in and I have to go and find a Guest that went in the forest and has not comed back yet...turns out it`s that photographer girl.I cannot get out of this area per say and the fight is against 6,yes 6 wild wolves or dogs and just Estelle and Joshua,the girl is there also but she occasionnaly takes a picture of one of the dogs that stuns them or something...I have my 2 special skills ready and all but there`s no way I can beat 6 of those guys...am I missing something here or what...?

Also I`m still in the area,why do I have 4 sidequests that are expired all of a sudden...my earlier save is like 4 hours behind...

krYlon

Kiriku said:
I agree, I'm about 15 hours in now. Battle system is fun enough, music is nice etc but the dialogues... I usually can stand most conversations in JRPGs, but in TitS they happen so frequently and just go on and on about pointless stuff. I (sadly) find myself skipping more and more of the dialogues between Joshua and Estelle until something interesting actually happens in the story because it's the same kind of predictable reactions and dialogues on repeat. And yeah, the story moves slow as well.
Still, I find it good enough to keep playing, there have been a few times where dialogues contain less repetition and has more serious, meaningful content, where the story (seems to) pick up and the characters are likable and interesting.

For me, that's one of the main strengths of the game. It's not afraid to put dialogue in that builds the character development and furthers the relationships between characters (particularly the main two). Sometimes the development is quite subtle and may make more sense later in the game, and I imagine, if you do a second playthrough.
I think in most games we're used to writing that advances plot, but does little else.

That's why I think this game is like a novel, where character development is usually more important than plot.

Top Bottom