• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Official Thread |OT|

Ricker said:
I`m a little pissed right now at this game because I love this game...chapter 3 stuff,I am level 20,not some big spoilers but just in case:

I`m at the part where I have to go to the Inn while Tita is in the shed fixing the pump,once I reach the Inn some guy walks in and I have to go and find a Guest that went in the forest and has not comed back yet...turns out it`s that photographer girl.I cannot get out of this area per say and the fight is against 6,yes 6 wild wolves or dogs and just Estelle and Joshua,the girl is there also but she occasionnaly takes a picture of one of the dogs that stuns them or something...I have my 2 special skills ready and all but there`s no way I can beat 6 of those guys...am I missing something here or what...?

Also I`m still in the area,why do I have 4 sidequests that are expired all of a sudden...my earlier save is like 4 hours behind...
Been ages since I played FC, so not sure how much I can help.

Are you having trouble keeping Dorothy alive or defeating the enemies (or both)? Some people suggest using the provoke enemy Craft to prevent Dorothy getting hit. If you have the relevant Quartz, you can try using the area Time and Wind Arts. There's one that costs 8 Time, 4 Space and 2 Illusion, which targets a medium area and can stun enemies if you're lucky. Otherwise, is the Retry Offset option still available? If so, you should use that if you absolutely cannot get past.

Ricker

Aveyn Knight said:
Been ages since I played FC, so not sure how much I can help.

Are you having trouble keeping Dorothy alive or defeating the enemies (or both)? Some people suggest using the provoke enemy Craft to prevent Dorothy getting hit. If you have the relevant Quartz, you can try using the area Time and Wind Arts. There's one that costs 8 Time, 4 Space and 2 Illusion, which targets a medium area and can stun enemies if you're lucky. Otherwise, is the Retry Offset option still available? If so, you should use that if you absolutely cannot get past.

Thanks for the tips...The PSP version has a retry option yes,not sure about retry offset?

Cheska

Is this game meant to be a little on the hard side in the beginning? I find myself dying way more than I'd like to just battling regular monsters :/

Thanks for the tips...The PSP version has a retry option yes,not sure about retry offset?
I haven't played the PSP version yet, just heard about the term from somebody who works for the team. I'm guessing the normal retry option should do the trick (what I'm referring to is the ability to retry battles with the enemies continuously weakened down).

Is this game meant to be a little on the hard side in the beginning? I find myself dying way more than I'd like to just battling regular monsters :/
It is quite tough, especially with few Crafts and Arts to utilise and only 2 or so characters to use. I'm afraid I don't remember any tips, but you could try setting your formation so all your characters are at the back and use offensive Arts on the first turn(s). This may be a huge drain on EP though, so not sure how effective it may be for you.

Cheska

Still getting owned, I must be doing something wrong. Is there no save point in the first city? I know there was one in the sewers but I can't remember how to get there :(

Aeana

Cheska said:
Still getting owned, I must be doing something wrong. Is there no save point in the first city? I know there was one in the sewers but I can't remember how to get there :(
You can save anywhere. That point in the sewer was just a heal point.

Macstorm

24FrameDaVinci said:
I gave this a shot, guess I just wasn't feeling it as much as the rest of you are. Felt bland.
This is not a game that will set you on fire in the first five hours, so I can understand that. If you can be patient and make it through that, the story really picks up. Also, feel free to ignore any side quests if you're rather just play for the story. You still get plenty of content doing that. Also, a tip, you can run from most encounters early on and then on the boss fights just die and retry over and over until you win. Cheap, but will get you through the early drag. Then when you start to grow in power and party members, you will be fine.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Cheska said:
Dangit, that's what I meant, healing station :(

Ya know early in the game (the entire Prologue) you can heal for free back at your Home, outside first town. Just go back upstairs into either Estelle or Josh's room.

It's rough early on, you have GOT to spend money on equipment. Your DEF is so low in the early on in this game you can get overrun by fighting against too many enemies, and get easily KO'd. Once you have full boots and armour and some DEF accessories, you'll never have any real problems for the rest of the game like you did at the beginning.

At least, that's been my experience. At the end of Chapter 2 now.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just bought this and Radiant Historia(which I guess I lucked out in snagging the last copy of the second shipment at my local Gamestop?)

So which to play first?

M_Night said:
I breezed through the game with relative ease. Just be sure to take advantage of good exp monsters.

the best fights aside from bosses are the monster chests. you can wipe easily if you're not careful.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Brandon F said:
Just bought this and Radiant Historia(which I guess I lucked out in snagging the last copy of the second shipment at my local Gamestop?)

So which to play first?

Never played it, but I am a big SNES/PSX era RPG fan. This is one of my favorites. I think if you enjoyed games of that time, you will enjoy this. The game, as it has been explained many times in this thread, is all about the character development and interactions between the two main characters. The writing is creative, fun, witty, and smart. I rank it up there with Persona 3 & 4 as some of the best characterizations in a JRPG.

The plot is best summed up with: "We're a boy and girl duo who travel the world helping people here and there training to be Heroes, and along the way... WTF THIS SHIT GETS REAL. HOLD THIS."

the best fights aside from bosses are the monster chests. you can wipe easily if you're not careful.

I honestly love the encounters in this game. They're easy to avoid, and for the most part relatively stress free. However, it's possible to get KO'ed by running into the wrong monsters - rather they run into YOU, and getting caught off guard. It's a great balance. You can run from every fight (except certain boss battles, I think) and you can retry every fight if you fail. So it's never a stressful game... like Persona series ("I haven't saved in a couple of hours and my main character just got one shot KO'd!!!!"), but it remains challenging and engaging.

I really enjoyed any challenging fight, there's usually one to three in every chapter that require you can change your setup, battle position, and strategy to match opponent's weaknesses and keep you on your toes.

Cheska

So I'm 8.5 hours in and still on the prologue, yet I find myself addicted to this game. Currently on the mission where
You are guiding the reporters through the Tower.
I'm not having as much trouble with the enemies now that I've leveled up a bit, but I really think they need to have more healing stations. The one in the mines was perfect during the mission.

Hoping it doesn't take that much longer for the story to pick up though.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Cheska said:
So I'm 8.5 hours in and still on the prologue, yet I find myself addicted to this game. Currently on the mission where
You are guiding the reporters through the Tower.
I'm not having as much trouble with the enemies now that I've leveled up a bit, but I really think they need to have more healing stations. The one in the mines was perfect during the mission.

Hoping it doesn't take that much longer for the story to pick up though.

You're in it for a bit, still. The game reveals things at a very slow pace. I just started Chapter 3 and I feel like I'm still waiting for it to spiral into epicness, but you can see the pieces slowly getting there. The Chapters (I believe there are four) always end on a good cliffhanging note.

I would recommend taking this game at a very leisurely pace and get to know the characters by talking to everything in sight and doing as much as side quests as possible.

Ricker

Adam Prime said:
I would recommend taking this game at a very leisurely pace and get to know the characters by talking to everything in sight and doing as much as side quests as possible.

And do them as quick as you can because some of them have no warning has to when they expire and all of a sudden,you go from one city to another city,or even a small village and poof,the kill this harder monster on the road has expired...happened to me for 2 of those guys,between Zeiss and the little pump place.

This is the only thing I hate about this game,otherwise it`s awesome...in chapter 3 now I can start to sense how crazy it will get... =)

Mephala

Cheska said:

At some point a little further you will learn to cook meals/snacks. Then you can buy some ingredients and whip up some healing without spending as much on potions and such. This makes things a lot easier. In the prologue you don't have access to much ingredients or recipes, but you get more of these goodies as you progress. My first playthrough, my Estelle and Joshua should be obese.

Ricker said:
And do them as quick as you can because some of them have no warning has to when they expire and all of a sudden,you go from one city to another city,or even a small village and poof,the kill this harder monster on the road has expired...happened to me for 2 of those guys,between Zeiss and the little pump place.

This is the only thing I hate about this game,otherwise it`s awesome...in chapter 3 now I can start to sense how crazy it will get... =)

I think it is wise to knock off the short duration ones straight away. The ones marked as longer I might hold for later. When the game ever says things like "We still have some time before ..." then I take the hint as "finish up those side quests!".

Wired has a nice interview with Jess from XSEED about the localization process.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/07/xseed-games/

One excerpt that I thought was important to post:

Wired.com: Because I have to ask, is there any word on whether you guys are going to tackle the rest of the [Trails in the Sky] trilogy? Please say yes.

Chavez: That’s a bit of a tough one. SC (Second Chapter) is even more horrifyingly large than FC (First Chapter aka Trails in the Sky), and we are having some issues regarding the platform that it would release on, especially since Universal Media Discs may no longer be around by the time it’s ready and the game can’t go onto [the PlayStation Network] as a download-only title. We’re continuing to work with Falcom to see if there are any other options, though.
PSP Remaster or Vita release???

Just waiting for this game to have a price drop on the psn. Can't wait for the delicious old school jrpg goodness. I know that it isnt the best example, but i think crimson gem saga is actually the game that has most pleased me with the traditional jrpg structure this generation. Im currently playing resonance of fate and loving the fuck out of it, so i want to keep the good ol rpg times rollin.

also, this game seems like its way better than hexyz force, which i dont want to cave in and buy even though its cheap

Foffy

Banned
Fingers crossed. Because shit, how many other LoH games are on PSP? The have two more planned to go, but there's two more after that..and the Ys/LoH RPG fighter.

wrowa

Didn't they already announce to bring the all three Trails games over? I will be seriously pissed if they don't >__>

If they aren't sure whether they could release all three games, they shouldn't have started localizing Trails to begin with. Being able to play just one would be a horrible tease.

Fingers crossed for a Steam release...

Foffy said:
Fingers crossed. Because shit, how many other LoH games are on PSP? The have two more planned to go, but there's two more after that..and the Ys/LoH RPG fighter.
Yeah, three more right now, with a fourth to come out in September. (Plus the LoH/Ys fighter you mentioned.)

I think we'll be seeing Vita ports for the later games in the series in the US. (Hopefully.) But I don't really care how XSEED gets the games out though, just release them and I'll buy them.

Foffy

Banned
Gunloc said:
Yeah, three more right now, with a fourth to come out in September. (Plus the LoH/Ys fighter you mentioned)

I think we'll be seeing Vita ports for the later games in the series in the US. (Hopefully.) But I don't really care how XSEED gets the games out though, just release them and I'll buy them.

Too true. And if all else fails, I hope XSEED can make a deal for the PC versions whenever possible..but wouldn't that rule out all of the games that aren't the ones planned by XSEED? The TitS trilogy are the only ones on PC, IIRC.

If all else fails, I do hope the fan community can pitch in if it's really too late. Ys V, Origin, Xanadu Next, Zwei 2, and The Legend of Xanadu all seem to be moving along at small bits and chunks.

Gunloc said:
Wired has a nice interview with Jess from XSEED about the localization process.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/07/xseed-games/

One excerpt that I thought was important to post:

PSP Remaster or Vita release???

Why can't it be download only? I don't want it to be, but I'm curious. Sony rule? I vote for VITA.

Anyways, got this a week ago. About 10 hours in. Love the classic RPG feel of it, but with a few modern things like the quest board that seems straight out of a Western RPG or MMORPG. I like the story fine so far, but it hasn't pulled me in 100% yet. We'll see how it develops.

vall03

SerArthurDayne said:
Why can't it be download only? I don't want it to be, but I'm curious. Sony rule? I vote for VITA.

Anyways, got this a week ago. About 10 hours in. Love the classic RPG feel of it, but with a few modern things like the quest board that seems straight out of a Western RPG or MMORPG. I like the story fine so far, but it hasn't pulled me in 100% yet. We'll see how it develops.
Trails in the Sky SC is on two UMDs and was never released on PSN due to file size

SerArthurDayne said:
The game is on two UMDs, and apparently it presents some sort of problem when it comes to making it available for digital distribution.

vall03 said:
Trails in the Sky SC is on two UMDs and was never released on PSN due to file size

Groovy. Is there anything restraining them from taking the game and putting it on whatever they are going to call the PSV cards? I mean technical limitations. I assume since they bought the rights there aren't any legal issues, but who knows with that kind of stuff.

Eusis

SerArthurDayne said:
They haven't figured out a way to make two UMDs into a single eboot, and hosannainexcelsis pointed out in another thread that you need to switch UMDs as you travel between different areas, so putting the two together as separate ISOs wouldn't work either since it's not a one time switch. Unless Sony changes policy on remasters (or Xseed goes outright suicidal and goes for one massive collection) or figures out how to make single eboots for Type-0 I figure our best bets are UMDs remaining alive JUST long enough for SC's release or a Vita port, and I wouldn't mind the latter if it meant raising the visuals to PC level.

Foffy

Banned
SerArthurDayne said:
Groovy. Is there anything restraining them from taking the game and putting it on whatever they are going to call the PSV cards? I mean technical limitations. I assume since they bought the rights there aren't any legal issues, but who knows with that kind of stuff.

Seems the only barrier in the way is Sony. And I hope that they don't stomp on the release of this game, even if they had to port the game to PSV cards.

Jigsaw

Banned
Eusis said:
They haven't figured out a way to make two UMDs into a single eboot, and hosannainexcelsis pointed out in another thread that you need to switch UMDs as you travel between different areas, so putting the two together as separate ISOs wouldn't work either since it's not a one time switch.

wow that's a huge design flaw...they even can put multiple ps1 isos in 1 eboot and let you switch discs on the fly :\

Eusis

Foffy said:
Seems the only barrier in the way is Sony. And I hope that they don't stomp on the release of this game, even if they had to port the game to PSV cards.
Retailers are probably the bigger barrier here, if they didn't want to offload UMD games ASAP then they could probably sell it through traditional channels, no problem. But I seriously imagine retailers are becoming very, very cold to receiving more PSP games, and by the time SC comes out they'd probably only tolerate the typical licensed stuff.
Jigsaw said:
wow that's a huge design flaw...they even can put multiple ps1 isos in 1 eboot and let you switch discs on the fly :\
Probably never really anticipated people wanting or needing to take up more than one UMD, given that these are portable games. Kind of like how XBLA games can't exceed 2 gigabytes, roughly.

I think UMDs were known as a disaster from day 1. But I have to have my physical media, so even if they did have some sort of digital replacement program I would turn it down. I've accepted the idea that I'll need to keep both a PSP and PSV. Still, I think I would prefer PSV over 2UMDS just because of the newer media and bigger screen. Probably a tough choice for Xseed, considering they don't really know how many of their fans will be part of the PSV install base by that point, or conversely have abandoned the PSP already.

Aside- These games were PC releases in Japan? I notice that the effect of the changing character portraits is somewhat lost on me as compared to PS2 games that use that style because they are so small.

Foffy

Banned
SerArthurDayne said:
Aside- These games were PC releases in Japan? I notice that the effect of the changing character portraits is somewhat lost on me as compared to PS2 games that use that style because they are so small.

Yeah - the TitS trilogy on PSP are ports of the PC versions. The two recent LoH titles (as well as Ys Seven and Ys vs. Trails in the Sky) were made for PSP. However, Ys Seven and LoH: Zero in the Sky (Zero no Keseki, IIRC) are getting PC ports..for China.

Eusis

I imagine a PSVita port NEEDS the first game ported over first. That way people jumping straight to that can get a (hopefully superior) version that they can play and prepare for 2. It'll help them grow the audience further (and make up for those who don't make the jump in time) too, I guess the problem is how eager Falcom would be to do it... or probably more importantly, HOW quickly.
Foffy said:
LoH: Zero in the Sky (Zero no Keseki, IIRC)
Sora's the part that translates to Sky, not Kiseki. It'd be closer to Trails to Zero or something.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Foffy said:
Too true. And if all else fails, I hope XSEED can make a deal for the PC versions whenever possible..but wouldn't that rule out all of the games that aren't the ones planned by XSEED? The TitS trilogy are the only ones on PC, IIRC.

If all else fails, I do hope the fan community can pitch in if it's really too late. Ys V, Origin, Xanadu Next, Zwei 2, and The Legend of Xanadu all seem to be moving along at small bits and chunks.
Zero is getting a PC release in China, but Falcom doesn't plan to release it in Japan. If XSEED got the PC version of the TitS trilogy and it did reasonably well, they could probably license the PC version of Zero too. And I don't know how closely that ties in with the new game, but if it's a continuation then I don't see why it wouldn't get a PC release too.

Alternative Saga is the odd one out, since it's PSP only.

Edit: Beaten.

I imagine a PSVita port NEEDS the first game ported over first. That way people jumping straight to that can get a (hopefully superior) version that they can play and prepare for 2. It'll help them grow the audience further (and make up for those who don't make the jump in time) too, I guess the problem is how eager Falcom would be to do it... or probably more importantly, HOW quickly.
If they are released on Vita, it will probably just be the straight PSP games on Vita cartridges. In that case there wouldn't be much point in releasing the first game, since it's on PSN and should be playable on Vita already.

Foffy

Banned
chaosblade said:
Zero is getting a PC release in China, but Falcom doesn't plan to release it in Japan. If XSEED got the PC version of the TitS trilogy and it did reasonably well, they could probably license the PC version of Zero too. And I don't know how closely that ties in with the new game, but if it's a continuation then I don't see why it wouldn't get a PC release too.

Alternative Saga is the odd one out, since it's PSP only.

Edit: Beaten.

Ys vs. Trails in the Sky could be an easy game to localize. It's a fighter with RPG elements.

I guess the issue here is that game was not part of the XSEED/Falcom deal.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Foffy said:
Ys vs. Trails in the Sky could be an easy game to localize. It's a fighter with RPG elements.

I guess the issue here is that game was not part of the XSEED/Falcom deal.
Tom made it sound like XSEED could very well continue their partnership beyond the games announced so far. I don't think they would have much trouble licensing the game, it's just a matter of getting it released on a living platform. Given their comments about PSN only releases, that's probably what they would most strongly consider for that game.

I have no idea how much text the game has, or really anything about it other than what the game actually is, and that it contains major spoilers for SC so it would need to come out after that game.

MechaX

And here I'm assuming that there is no reason why normal Memory Sticks wouldn't work on PSVita, simply because I would like to transfer data from FC to SC.

Eusis

MechaX said:
And here I'm assuming that there is no reason why normal Memory Sticks wouldn't work on PSVita, simply because I would like to transfer data from FC to SC.
Not only are they smaller Memory Sticks, but they seem to be tweaked from M2 so you can't reuse those either! However you can probably use a PC or PS3 as a middle man to transfer the stuff to then from that to the Vita, or even copy the data onto a Mac/Linux/Whatever depending on how they set that up for the Vita.

Aeana

XSEED should not have released FC if they weren't 100% sure about SC. I hope the fans give them an immense amount of crap because it's like stopping LotR at Fellowship.

Aeana said:
XSEED should not have released FC if they weren't 100% sure about SC. I hope the fans give them an immense amount of crap because it's like stopping LotR at Fellowship.

In an age of Operation Rainfall, every great JRPG of this generation that manages to come over is a victory, even if they are in vain.

TheChaos

Aeana said:

Seriously. It almost makes you wonder why they would bother at all.

Top Bottom