• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky PC |OT|

epmode

The game was developed with Direct Input from the start. This was released in 2004.

Right. I still wouldn't put it past other developers to strip it in favor of Xinput.

I'm now in the middle of coming up with a working scheme for my Saturn USB pad. It doesn't have enough buttons to handle all of the functions!

Shizuka

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised, honestly. I dunno, maybe people just have more faith in XSEED to get it fixed. Or maybe people realize how lucky we are to have the game at all, and are willing to wait a couple days for some fixes.

I can't wait for SC, let's hope it comes out as painfree as possible.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
After the small patch, I replayed the beginning of the game in 1920 x 1080 fullscreen with HD text and received no issues.

Seems safe to switch back.

wrowa

Out of curiosity I remember the blog saying eventually Falcom will send majority of PS3 Trails HD assets over to allow use in PC version. Is that including better quality character models as well?

I don't think so, the PS3 version uses the PC assets for the most part. It's mostly just the menus that got remade on PS3 in HD - and that's what we'll get sooner or later.

It's great to see people having the patience despite all these bugs and helping XSEED fixing them. The world can be a great place sometimes.

I think most people expected that the launch wouldn't happen flawlessly. We all know how much stuff got changed to make game playable in an acceptable way on today's PCs, so it was bound to break some things which Xseed didn't encounter before with limited resources.

The 1080p crash shouldn't have happened, though. It's pretty weird that no one encountered it when testing the game.

If it's crashing immediately on launch, it's probably the movie playback that's doing it, since the Falcom and XSEED logos that display on startup are a movie file.

It still crashes when deactivating the movies in my case. For some reason if I don't run the game in the native resolution of my monitors (tested it on two different ones), it refuses to even start.

Dr Dogg

Seem things are rendering correctly in fullscreen at 2560x1440 now. Still has some text issues and still crashes on launch when selecting windowed but my main issue is sorted it seems. Thanks.

Tetsuo9

Reporting the weird colors in the opening video issue in 1080p fullscreen. Nvidia card. CCCP codecs. Steam version.

For now playing on 720p windowed with no issues.

wrowa

Game's not crashing on 1080p with high-res fonts and unlocked framerate anymore either. At least not in my case.

Nerokis

b78dc3b4f2e6feb17342e26cd6e77a63.png

Finally got out of work to play this, I can't wait to start.

Beautiful.

I beat Ys I and II Chronicles+ over the span of 1.5 weeks, am now on the final boss of Oath in Felghana (I think!), and a few minutes ago very happily purchased Trails in the Sky. I went from knowing little to nothing about Falcom games to being in love with them over the past ~2 weeks. July 2014, I will always remember you.

But now I need a break. Glad to support TitS, but I've been a little too obsessed with Ys and I get the impression this will be a much, much larger scale game. So looking forward to jumping in, though!

desmax

Man, I wish they'll release a patch for the Gog Version soon.

The crash with the hi-res font is the only problem I'm having

epmode

I think the in-game aspect ratio looks OK but are the FMVs a little off? The video is stretched vertically at a 16:10 resolution when compared to a 16:9 resolution.

jb1234

Ten minutes in, haven't even gotten into my first battle yet and I'm already satisfied. The character writing is just so good. I feel like I already know these people. 360 controls are completely unintuitive, though. Need to figure out if I can remap them.

Hugstable

Banned
I haven't had any crashes yet since I downloaded the new patch and started playing 1080p Full Screen so that's always good. The control settings for gamepad were a bit wonky though with having rotates being set to select and start o_O.

Regarding achievements, I think the game isn't registering every chest phrase I get.

:( Achievements are still bugged?

ramyeon

What does it mean when they start sparkling?
In my experience, nothing. It's just something they do that takes up a turn instead of fleeing or attacking. They also have a set spawn point in every chapter and respawn sometimes when you exit and enter that screen for easy grinding.
Main difference being that they're unique encounters in each chapter. So you can't grind on them. But it's not a bad idea to fight one each time they're available.
They're not unique encounters, they respawn on entering and exiting the map like 80% of the time (In my experience). If they don't respawn you just exit and enter again.

Main difference being that they're unique encounters in each chapter. So you can't grind on them. But it's not a bad idea to fight one each time they're available.
I thought there were a couple times you could grind on them using the enter/exit trick?

I remember fighting a bunch during Chapter 3, near the hot springs resort in the PSP version.

You... might have some issues with Trails, then? It's definitely guilty of this to an extent, though it comes across less as over-explaining and more as just... realistic explaining, I guess? Like, if you were to go get a job hunting monsters in real life (were such a thing to exist, of course), there'd be training involved, right? And so there is here.

It doesn't feel extraneous, exactly, but it can be mildly tedious at times (especially if something really cool is coming up and you just want to see it transpire!). It's absolutely worth sticking through, however, as there is most definitely a payoff waiting for you at the end -- a payoff that wouldn't be nearly as impactful without all the buildup.

-Tom

Thank you for the explanation. To expound a bit, I don't dislike reading long text. I just get annoyed when characters explain things over and over. Like, in VLR there's something like this:

L: If the leftmost booth is A and the rightmost is E, the booth I'm talking about is Booth D.
S: Oh, so the second booth from the right?

That second line is really unnecessary! Some back-and-forth like that is fine to make conversation natural, but they do this for every single conversation! And that example is actually the shortest one I could think of! Graa!

Aaa, but for some reason I thought the game would be $35. For $17 I'll just go ahead and buy it.

Aeana

In my experience, nothing. It's just something they do that takes up a turn instead of fleeing or attacking. They also have a set spawn point in every chapter and respawn sometimes when you exit and enter that screen for easy grinding.

They're not unique encounters, they respawn on entering and exiting the map like 80% of the time (In my experience). If they don't respawn you just exit and enter again.

I thought there were a couple times you could grind on them using the enter/exit trick?

I remember fighting a bunch during Chapter 3, near the hot springs resort in the PSP version.

I guess I'm wrong. Either way, grinding isn't particularly beneficial since the gained experience reduces as you level up.

ramyeon

I guess I'm wrong. Either way, grinding isn't particularly beneficial since the gained experience reduces as you level up.
Yeah it's not that useful but the Sepith is nice, and the exp is still massive for Shining Poms. Plus they have really rare unique item drops.

Tetsuo9

The good thing about DirectX8 is that you can force 8xSGSSAA without any artifacts or required compatibility bits.

In case anyone is interested:
capture85k6g.png

Why I cant see the Legend of heroes profile in my nvidia inspector?, do I have to create it or something?

Aeana

Why I cant see the Legend of heroes profile in my nvidia inspector?, do I have to create it or something?
Make a new profile and then select it and click the button to add a program to the profile, then find ed6_win.exe in the install directory.

jdkluv

I've always preferred VT over 4, mainly for the music.

So much this - the epilogue themes in particular sound INFINITELY better than they do in Brandish 4. Also, Brandish VT Star Roll theme >>>> Brandish 4 Star Roll theme.

I should try to replace the alternative MIDI soundtrack with the Brandish VT soundtrack.

Just to let you XSEED guys know, I was experiencing the usual 1080p crashes earlier today, but after the patch I've been playing for a couple of hours with no problems. Thanks for the quick response!

This game is all coming back to me now. I didn't play a whole lot of it on PSP, but I'm surprised by how familiar it all feels. The music especially. And I also remember how much I liked the magic system in this game. Speccing out your party becomes a fun little puzzle.

Hugstable

Banned
Just to let you XSEED guys know, I was experiencing the usual 1080p crashes earlier today, but after the patch I've been playing for a couple of hours with no problems. Thanks for the quick response!

This game is all coming back to me now. I didn't play a whole lot of it on PSP, but I'm surprised by how familiar it all feels. The music especially. And I also remember how much I liked the magic system in this game. Speccing out your party becomes a fun little puzzle.

Yup it's been the same for me and everything has been running amazing since the patch. Thanks so much xSeed for working to get the patch out so fast after launch!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The game looks amazing at 1080p. But...

How do I do S Breaks using the controller? I press left and right and the red Ui gem flickers a bit but pressing the button does nothing.

Also, how do you access another tab in the hunter journal ?

How do you turn enemy HP bars on above them? I'm pretty sure the psp version had hp bars.

And how do you access the monster journal?

Sara just posted on her twitter she's put the first post-release patch on Steam.

"I've just pushed our first post-release patch for Trails to Steam. No idea how much is fixed but I've made an effort to fix some things. GOG will get patches just a bit slower because I don't have an automated way of patching it at the moment."

So anyone having issues, see if that does anything.

Nice! Reloaded now, lesse what got fixed.

lol I can see a lot of people dying in the Milch Main Road haha

This game is not without its claws! Hint for those finding this:
wait till 3 people are in your party

Damaniel

Banned
Game seems to work fine so far (post-patch, I didn't try it before). Videos are messed up for me, through they play fine in VLC when played directly, and I had to use my DS4 instead of my 360 controller (the analog was way too finicky on the latter), but the game itself runs otherwise at full 1440p resolution with high res fonts.

EDIT: Except I can't traverse the menus with the controller. I don't want to have to use JoyToKey, but if I must...

tmtyf

game runs at 1440p for me but im also getting the video issue with windows 8.1. Also the char portraits at that resolution are a bit meh but everything else looks great.

Almighty

Well so far like other have said it seems that patch has fixed the 1080p/fullscreen crash I was having. It used to crash after about five minutes now I managed to make it 45 minutes with no crash so far. I plan to play it for many hours tonight so we will see if it has been truly fixed, but right now I am impressed with how quick they got a patch out.

Top Bottom