• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky PC |OT|

Yersterday, I played for 7 hours straight and did only have a single crash at the beggining in the sewers.

I love the dialogue in this game and I laughed at a NPC that helps you at battle. Cant wait to play more when I get back from work.

creid

Played for a few minutes this morning with HD fonts off and had no issues. It actually doesn't look as bad as I expected, I'll probably leave them off for a while.

Dragon

Banned
Screen%20Shot%202014-07-30%20at%209.34.58%20AM.png

He didn't commit to anything but hopefully he looks at it at least!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So, uh, I'm guessing I should play the PSP version I bought about a year ago already?

PC version will be fine once they get the kinks worked out. The Ys games also had issues around release and all the serious issues were taken care of pretty quickly.

It sounds like the new font is the cause of most of the headaches.

Varion

I think I'll hold off on buying this until all of the bugs are fixed. I wonder if SC will have similar bugs.
It shouldn't, because any bug that gets fixed here should prevent similar issues from cropping up in SC. That's not to say SC won't have any bugs at all, because there's no way to guarantee that, but at the very least all this experience should make SC's release that much smoother. They're pretty similar, so what causes issues in one is more likely than not going to cause issues in the other.

vareon

Game keeps on crashing in the tutorial, tried to consult GAF thread and lo and behold! It's a wide issue.

Not that I'm complaining (scratch that, I am.), but I know Sara's working on it. I'll just try with the HD font turned off, maybe it helps.

Just played for more than an hour, messed around with the menus and did a ton of other stuff, no issue whatsoever as long as the high res font is off.
No glitches, nothing.
Of course other people might have issues but I'm convinced that this is all it takes for most people to have a flawless experience.
I'm playing full screen at 1080p.

Arthea

Just played for more than an hour, messed around with the menus and did a ton of other stuff, no issue whatsoever as long as the high res font is off.
No glitches, nothing.
Of course other people might have issues but I'm convinced that this is all it takes for most people to have a flawless experience.
I'm playing full screen at 1080p.

As far as I noticed 3 things help, lowering res a little (did it for me and some of my friends too), switching off high res fonts (worked for many people too), playing full screen.

pahamrick

Yep, latest patch broke everything for me. Last night I was able to play for 4-5 hours no problems (aside from the game based vsync being broken) with the follow settings.

X6QvZZg.jpg

Now I'm lucky if the game runs for 30 seconds before it hard freezes then crashes. I'll try turning the high res fonts off for now and see if that helps.

Shiina

Is there some place I can find damage values for all my magic? Like how do I know if Shadow Spear or Hell Gate do more damage without using them in combat.

Also what kind of damage do Time, Space and Mirage magic do? Monsters only show vulnerabilities for the other four elements.

Shiokazu

Is there some place I can find damage values for all my magic? Like how do I know if Shadow Spear or Hell Gate do more damage without using them in combat.

Also what kind of damage do Time, Space and Mirage magic do? Monsters only show vulnerabilities for the other four elements.

they may not be magical damage. time might be specialized in control of flow, space i dont have much idea, and mirage might be focused on crowd control.

Golbez

You can't select the red spheres with the arrow keys or left/right on a gamepad like you should be able to. The cursor pops up briefly and disappears immediately.

Came on the board to ask about this, was surprised to learn that people are having all sorts of other problems, the game has run fine on my Xbox 360 controller otherwise. Though I did need to Xpadder the Dpad in, but that's not unusual. Also the 360 controller doesn't read the triggers but does read L3 and R3, but it was the same with FF7. Anyway, hoping the S Break issue gets fixed soon!

Shiokazu

So they do 100% to all enemies? This is what I was talking about:

i dont know i did not yet touched the game, but its just a hinch.

like, time magic might be there for spells like, haste, slow, stop, this kind of stuff that reorganize the order of the turns or quicken/widen your movement range.

i dont know about space, you got me there.

and mirage might be related to things like messing with the mind, causing confusion to enemies, making them attack each other or casting barrier, something to keep you in control of the situation with more ease.

im getting my hinches from final fantasy tactics. i couldnt play much yesterday, due to crashes.

Varion

So they do 100% to all enemies? This is what I was talking about:
Yep, those three elements do 100% damage to all enemies. No enemies are weak to them, but none resist them either.

And no, there isn't anywhere to check how much damage arts will do without trying them in battle.

ZenaxPure

Hmm, got a crash at the trail (which I assume is the one other people were getting) so I skipped the fight, everything is going good... Until I do the next fight and decide to heal after combat only for the game to crash when I exit the main menu.

Edit, seems like I can't do anything with the menu now. Tried to use an item from the menu only for the game to freeze up completely (music was still playing for some reason) and I had to task manager my way out.

Despera

Banned
Game crashed while trying to rest at Hotel Rolent. Good thing I save often. I probably lost 5 mins of "progress".

Loaded my save and talked to the innkeeper this time choosing Trade instead of Rest, and the game crashed again. Just lovely.

Experimenting with music replacements... The Almighty for the battle theme and Thunder Plains (HD Remaster) for the battle result screen seem to be a good combination so far. One I won't be tiring from any time soon. That's as far as I'll go with alterations though as I prefer to keep the rest of the original content intact.

Krelian91

Game crashed while trying to rest at Hotel Rolent. Good thing I save often. I probably lost 5 mins of "progress".

Loaded my save and talked to the innkeeper this time choosing Trade instead of Rest, and the game crashed again. Just lovely.

Turn off the HD font, it solved the issue for me.

EDIT: Ninja'd, lol.

jdkluv

Experimenting with music replacements... The Almighty for the battle theme and Thunder Plains (HD Remaster) for the battle result screen seem to be a good combination so far. One I won't be tiring from any time soon. That's as far as I'll go with alterations though as I prefer to keep the rest of the original content intact.

Why would you even change Falcom Sound Team jdk's soundtrack with someone else's music? :( At least use Falcom's own arrangements!

Ahegao

Banned

Weaknesses and Resistances for the three higher elements are only in effect in somewhat "mystical" places in this series, of which there are none in FC and SC. You can use those spells on every enemy.

Hopefully they do a small beta test for the next one. This is unacceptable.

I'll probably pick the next one up when it is a sale because I have no faith in them making a stable version on release now.

Einhander

I bought it on Steam. :)

Got a question, if I plug in the DualShock 4 controller, will it work immediately, or do I need a program in order to use it?

Turned off High Res fonts solved it for me too. Seem so random. Why would font choice crash a game?
It's an entirely different renderer that forces the game to use font textures an order of magnitude larger than those from the original game, which is over a decade old. The technical significance of the new renderer should not be downplayed.

Damaniel

Banned
Yep, latest patch broke everything for me. Last night I was able to play for 4-5 hours no problems (aside from the game based vsync being broken) with the follow settings.

X6QvZZg.jpg

Now I'm lucky if the game runs for 30 seconds before it hard freezes then crashes. I'll try turning the high res fonts off for now and see if that helps.

Likewise. Played over 2 hours without a crash yesterday, but was crashing every minute or two this morning. Turning of high res fonts seemed to fix it though - I played for another 45 minutes without a crash after I did that.

(I really like the high res font though. Hopefully they'll fix the bug that's causing the game to crash when you use it...)

I'm thinking this game might be held together with toothpicks and twine.

That's honestly about par for the course when talking about Japanese PC ports. After spending half an afternoon getting Dark Souls to work on my PC over the weekend, not to mention dealing with more than on Japanese PC game that didn't understand the concept of 'adjustable resolution', I'm not all that surprised. As long as the game runs and doesn't crash much, I'll be happy enough.

I think XSeed could benefit from handling their PC releases more like Ghostlight. They do a prolonged closed beta with a few dozen (I guess from forum participation) volunteers.

I strongly agree. They should seriously consider doing this for future PC releases, including SC (yes I know it has a lot in common with FC).

TiTS FC isn't the first release of theirs that was problematic. IIRC Ys Oath in Felghana had a number of issues at release (although nowhere near as bad as TiTS).

Xseed is on top of things when it comes to patches, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt. But considering this project was apparently an extremely challenging effort on their part, combined with the many dozens of PC configurations out there...they were bound to miss some things here and there during their internal testing. So I'm not too surprised the game came out in this state. A closed beta that spans a good variety of configs would have likely caught the vast majority of these bugs.

Anyway, I put about an hour into the game so far (before the latest patch that apparently broke the game for a lot of people) and the only bug I had was the S-Break bug that Aeana reported. I'll wait until the game is in a more stable state before continuing.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That's honestly about par for the course when talking about Japanese PC ports. After spending half an afternoon getting Dark Souls to work on my PC over the weekend, not to mention dealing with more than on Japanese PC game that didn't understand the concept of 'adjustable resolution', I'm not all that surprised. As long as the game runs and doesn't crash much, I'll be happy enough.

This isn't a port though, it's the original game (but with lots of enhancements). The PSP version was a port.

I did forget about the new renderer Sara mentioned in that writeup though, that could be the source of the issues more than the new font specifically.

flowsnake

I bought this on Steam for automatic updates, but I didn't expect it to be this necessary.

I wonder if GOG will make updates less annoying with their client.

I've just started playing the game. Everything was fine until I went into the orb thing segment (sorry, I haven't memorized the names of these things). When I talk to the guy in the counter, the game just crashes.

I'll try disabling HQ fonts later to see if that helps.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I turned off high res fonts before initially playing, due to feedback here. Played for an hour or so last night at 1080p with no issues.

Well, when I alt tabbed out of the title screen it came back all jumbled, but didn't effect anything once I loaded the game.

Looks like I'll hold off enabling those new patches for a bit, and I agree that a beta of some sort could work better since Ghostlight has had success with that method. Code be old and crazy.

Music almost TOO EPIC for regular battles! You don't know what forces you toy with! At least this brings it in-line with later games in the series.

Hatsuu

XSEED
Not much to really say other than we're still paying close attention to various forums, so please keep reporting as these issues come up. We did write a blog about what it took to get the game running on our XSEED Games tumblr, for those curious about how the game itself worked previously. We did expect bugs to come up because it's impossible to iron out all PC bugs by launch, but I don't think we expected the number. Sorry for those experiencing problems, since I know it can keep you from really diving into the game. I'll be keeping in close contact with Sara and if she specifies what new patches are intended to fix, I'll try and post them here.

Personally, I do like the idea of a closed beta and think it's something to take into consideration. A huge amount of bugs were caught during testing, but with so many kinds of computers and configurations, it's hard to test them all with a small team. That kind of decision-making is beyond my authority, though.

Aeana

Confirming that the Hotel Rolent rest crash happens for me too. It created a .mdmp file in the game directory, which I can provide if Sara needs it.
I also get a crash when I try to load the items tab in the menu screen.

The low res font is super ugly so I guess I won't be playing until these are fixed. Sad, since it was running just fine for me yesterday.

EDIT: But for the sake of bug reporting, I tried it and I don't get the crashes with high resolution fonts disabled.

Hatsuu

XSEED
Confirming that the Hotel Rolent rest crash happens for me too. It created a .mdmp file in the game directory, which I can provide if Sara needs it.

I believe she told me yesterday that she discovered an issue and they won't be very useful until she fixes a certain issue with them around the 1st-ish. Once those are fixed, however, they will be quite useful.

Baust

I started playing a bit last night, up to the sewers in the beginning.

No issues on my end, except for being unable to use an S-Craft in battle with a controller. I move over to select it and the cursor disappears.

That aside, the game looks great in 1080p with 60fps enabled. It's so smooth!

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I picked this up yesterday, and honestly, ain't even mad. Hopefully by the time I finish Divinity they have the kinks worked out.

Top Bottom