• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky PC |OT|

Talking about potential sales numbers, Trails peaked at 1300 concurrent user's on Steam today. If the global achievements are to be believed, about 10% of all people who bought Trails got the "Why is my present a boy?" achievement which you get about 5 minutes into the game. So, if the achievement isn't bugged - and it might very well be! - it could be said that only roughly 10% of all buyers have played the game yet. If that's the case, we would be looking at a minimum of 10k sales so far.

But it's of course very well possible that the achievement is bugged - actually, I kinda expect it be bugged all things considered. :p

Why is my present a boy? Shouldn't unlock until you finish the prologue.

edit: ninja'd

Tiu Neo

Edit: Disregard this post, it's bullshit. The achievement I'm talking about will actually unlock a few hours into the game, not in the opening scene as I've thought. My mistake, sorry.

Talking about potential sales numbers, Trails peaked at 1300 concurrent user's on Steam today. If the global achievements are to be believed, about 10% of all people who bought Trails got the "Why is my present a boy?" achievement which you get about 5 minutes into the game. So, if the achievement isn't bugged - and it might very well be! - it could be said that only roughly 10% of all buyers have played the game yet. If that's the case, we would be looking at a minimum of 10k sales so far.

But it's of course very well possible that the achievement is bugged - actually, I kinda expect it be bugged all things considered. :p

It... may be? I don't remember getting any achievements, and played for about two hours.

Can't access steam here, I'll check tonight.

EDIT:

You only get when you conclude the prologue.

Oh, that makes sense.

Damaniel

Banned
The game appears to be behaving far better for me with all the latest patches - I can run with high res fonts on, fullscreen mode, whatever I want, and the game hasn't crashed in the last couple hours of play.

Kudos to the localization team for fixing these issues so quickly!

(And yes, the 'Why is my present a BOY?' achievement only appears after completing the prologue, which took about 3.5 hours of gameplay for me. After looking at the achievement list, I doubt I'm going to get very many of them unless I want to go into full completionist mode...)

Finally got around to mapping the d-pad with joytokey. Turns out I downloaded an "unofficial" version the first time lol, was wondering what the hell was with wrong with it.
I guess I'm finally set to keep playing without worrying about anything else.

wrowa

Finally got around to mapping the d-pad with joytokey. Turns out I downloaded an "unofficial" version the first time lol, was wondering what the hell was with wrong with it.
I guess I'm finally set to keep playing without worrying about anything else.

Joy2Key doesn't support analog controls, does it? Navigating menus with the stick is quite annoying in this game, but I also like that I don't have to press a button to walk/run with the default options. Hm!

I use CCCP and I don't get the issue.

Which OS are you running? Are you still doing the force SGSAA thing you posted about Trails being a dx8 game so it could be done w/o artifacts?

I'm glad to see that some people don't have the problem.. trying to figure out why I have it on my desktop and my notebook, both nvidia gpus on windows 8.1.

Eusis

The game appears to be behaving far better for me with all the latest patches - I can run with high res fonts on, fullscreen mode, whatever I want, and the game hasn't crashed in the last couple hours of play.

Kudos to the localization team for fixing these issues so quickly!

(And yes, the 'Why is my present a BOY?' achievement only appears after completing the prologue, which took about 3.5 hours of gameplay for me. After looking at the achievement list, I doubt I'm going to get very many of them unless I want to go into full completionist mode...)
I think you get a lot of them just trying to get all BP + Carnelia books, the former gets you better rewards and a carry over bonus for SC, the latter (gameplay spoiler)
the best weapon for either Estelle or Joshua
. So I'll probably get a decent amount, even if ones like "S-Craft? What S-Craft?" would likely drive me mad (actually, that one might be cheesable...)

Joy2Key doesn't support analog controls, does it? Navigating menus with the stick is quite annoying in this game, but I also like that I don't have to press a button to walk/run with the default options. Hm!

All you need to do is map the d-pad to the arrow keys, the game will still recognize the remaining buttons as you configured them. You're basically adding the d-pad to the game's own config.

wrowa

All you need to do is map the d-pad to the arrow keys, the game will still recognize the remaining buttons as you configured them. You're basically adding the d-pad to the game's own config.

Ah! That's good to know, thanks.

Which OS are you running? Are you still doing the force SGSAA thing you posted about Trails being a dx8 game so it could be done w/o artifacts?

I'm glad to see that some people don't have the problem.. trying to figure out why I have it on my desktop and my notebook, both nvidia gpus on windows 8.1.

I've been playing the game on three different displays. My laptop's own display, the monitor I usually attach to it and my TV. The videos will show properly on the monitor (1680x1050), but they won't show correctly on the TV (1080p) or the laptop itself (1366x something). It's really weird!

Psxphile

It's nice that the guild missions have a way of letting you know how soon you should get around to completing them before it's too late. I had the Yerte Bridge mission go from 'Term (Medium)' to 'Term (Short)' after completing the Mine event and I ran over to the bridge lickety-split to get it done.

Syril

I just started the game and I'm really impressed at how well-defined Estelle is as a character only 30 minutes in. When I was researching this game, I thought the biggest worry would be missable sidequests (though that's remedied with a guide), but it looks like it's actually going to be remembering to talk to everyone after anything happens for all the conversations and characterization that seems to comes from talking to NPCs.

Aeana

Seems there's a new update on Steam.

ed6-scherawisdom.jpg

Words of wisdom from the great Scherazard.

Played around 90 minutes and I'm basically on board with this.

Also, wow was I surprised when a monster from the training mission hit me for almost half my health. Generally it takes hours before you need to do anything other than attack in a JRPG.

Silly question, but this thread is getting unwieldy...

Does it seem safe to start the game yet, or are bugs still being squashed?

It sounds like they have been fixing issues at a breakneck pace, but are we at a point where it is safe to jump in, with all the best visual options, and expect the game to work?

I'd rather my first impression be a good one, so I am happy to wait if need be, but i'd love to jump in if possible.

Aeana

It sounds like they have been fixing issues at a breakneck pace, but are we at a point where it is safe to jump in, with all the best visual options, and expect the game to work?

I'd rather my first impression be a good one, so I am happy to wait if need be, but i'd love to jump in if possible.
It seems like most of the issues have been addressed now. The only outstanding one I can think of would be the fullscreen video glitch, but perhaps the patch that just went up fixed that. Either way, that one's relatively minor since you can get around it by playing in windowed mode or at some fullscreen resolutions other than 1080p it seems.

Damaniel

Banned

The first day, the game had some intermittent crashing bugs. After the first round of patches, I found it actually got worse in most situations (mainly when high res fonts were enabled). After the second round of patches, the game has been rock stable for me (and I've put in more hours after the second set of patches than I did before).

I can't speak for everyone, but the game has gone from 'kind of buggy' to 'pretty much fine' for me. The intro videos might still not render correctly, but I've disabled those anyway (and you can watch them just fine outside of the game if you really want to see what's in them).

wrowa

It should be safe to jump in. The game had crashing issues when you activated the high res fonts at 1080p, but those have been solved. The game should run fine for you now (in fullscreen mode at least, I think window mode might still be kinda bugged).

The only things that might not work are the movies. But there are only two of those: The Falcom logo right at the beginning and the opening movie. Not a big issue, honestly. You can watch both movies in the game's directory if you want to.

Also, wow was I surprised when a monster from the training mission hit me for almost half my health. Generally it takes hours before you need to do anything other than attack in a JRPG.

Yep, it's pretty cool in that regard. It's not a difficult game, but enemies shouldn't be underestimated either.

You can jump in without worries now.

I just started the game and I'm really impressed at how well-defined Estelle is as a character only 30 minutes in. When I was researching this game, I thought the biggest worry would be missable sidequests (though that's remedied with a guide), but it looks like it's actually going to be remembering to talk to everyone after anything happens for all the conversations and characterization that seems to comes from talking to NPCs.

Yeah, she's awesome.

Shiokazu

so im a little confused.

what is the difference between a video card and adapter?

i wonder why i cant select my nvidia from the dropdown menu... im rather unfamiliar with these issues ,__, sadly i have little to no knowledge about this.

(screens to ilustrate follow)

Lr6ZLzG.png

GB2ZGHm.png

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It seems like most of the issues have been addressed now. The only outstanding one I can think of would be the fullscreen video glitch, but perhaps the patch that just went up fixed that. Either way, that one's relatively minor since you can get around it by playing in windowed mode or at some fullscreen resolutions other than 1080p it seems.

Is the pushing left/right during combat to activate the special interrupt attack bug fixed?

Aeana

so im a little confused.

i wonder why i cant select my nvidia from the dropdown menu... im rather unfamiliar with these issues ,__, sadly i have little to no knowledge about this.

http://i.imgur.com/Lr6ZLzG.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/GB2ZGHm.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
They're the same. That seems like a bug. I've heard of stuff like that happening with other games on laptops that have two video chips.

brian!

so im a little confused.

Lr6ZLzG.png

GB2ZGHm.png

are you using a lappy? some use nvidia optimus (?) which switches between two cards
on my laptop I have a 635m. I can't select anything besides Intel HD in that same dropdown, but when I alt tab out I can check which programs are using my nvidia card in my tray. I set it in the control panel so most programs default to that card

Levyne

Banned
so im a little confused.

Lr6ZLzG.png

GB2ZGHm.png

Unfortunately, the solution to these sorts of issues for laptops seems to depend on every game individually. I remember Sonic Generations not running on my old laptops discrete card and only seeing the integrated graphics until I deleted or modified a line in the configuration file.

It's a fairly common issue with Nvidia notebook cards it seems (I just randomly googled and found that)

What you'll likely want to try first is to go into NVidia control panel, manage 3d settings, find the Trails executable and maybe also the configuration tool (I don't own the game so I'm unsure what's all in the directory) and set both to the preferred graphics processor of your 750m. Can't guarantee it will work, though :(

Eternia

How does this game handle items found on the field? So far in the prologue, I haven't seen much that is interactive other than treasure chests. No pots/crates/obscure piece of furniture to rummage through yet unless I missed something. I'd actually prefer if this were the case since I've recently played Divinity Original Sin which by the end greatly tested my sanity.

Aeana

How does this game handle items found on the field? So far in the prologue, I haven't seen much that is interactive other than treasure chests. No pots/crates/obscure piece of furniture to rummage through yet unless I missed something. I'd actually prefer if this were the case since I've recently played Divinity Original Sin which by the end greatly tested my sanity.
For the most part, it's just chests. Every once in a while there's something to examine that isn't a chest, but a big "!" pops up near your character if they're even kinda close to it in that case, and I can't recall that ever happening on a field, only in a couple of dungeons.

Damaniel

Banned
For the most part, it's just chests. Every once in a while there's something to examine that isn't a chest, but a big "!" pops up near your character if they're even kinda close to it in that case, and I can't recall that ever happening on a field, only in a couple of dungeons.

There are a couple of quest items in overworld maps that are collected that way (like the Bear Claw), but for the most part (like you said) it's chests only.

And be sure to check every chest after you've grabbed what's inside.
Each one says something different, and there's an achievement for reading them all...

Aeana

There are a couple of quest items in overworld maps that are collected that way (like the Bear Claw), but for the most part (like you said) it's chests only.

Each one says something different, and there's an achievement for reading them all...
Derp. I dunno why the bear claw slipped my mind. You're right, there is stuff like that.

Syril

I think I ran into another bug. I tried to set an input from the config menu, but my controller wasn't registering and I couldn't seem to back out of the the act of setting an input, so i hit Cancel to close the config, and Steam thought that the game was still running and I was unable to start the game again or exit steam without manually ending the process.

Wow, this persisted though restarting Steam. I'm going to see if resetting my computer fixes this.

Eternia

Perfect, more of my attention will be put towards the game.

I've definitely looked at chests twice. I'm actually eager to continue seeing what's inside other chests now. Better than lousy potions.

wrowa

so im a little confused.

I've got the same problem with my laptop - which is likely much older than yours - and there's not much you can do about it. I think if you open your Nvidia settings you can set specific games to run with your proper graphics card instead of Intel HD, but I'm not sure if that's actually working in this case. And honestly? It doesn't matter. This game is 10 years old, Intel HD will run the game just fine.

I think I ran into another bug. I tried to set an input from the config menu, but my controller wasn't registering and I couldn't seem to back out of the the act of setting an input, so i hit Cancel to close the config, and Steam thought that the game was still running and I was unable to start the game again or exit steam without manually ending the process.

Wow, this persisted though restarting Steam. I'm going to see if resetting my computer fixes this.

I haven't encountered this problem with Trails specifically, but with a couple other Steam games. You need to shut down the game's process in your task manager, afterwards it should be running fine again.

kiriin

so im a little confused.

Go in your Nvidia setting under 3d settings and to force your discrete gpu (750m)

Ys Origins had the same problem as well.

Happened to me just now, had to reboot the PC, fortunately I wont be needing to enter the config anymore but yeah, seems like a new bug.
Strangely the game wasn't appearing in the task manager.
I've had this happen before with other games but never needed to reboot my PC.

is there any decent way to set up the controls without having to download some kind of extra program? I don't even know how to swing the camera around with the standard controls...

is there any decent way to set up the controls without having to download some kind of extra program? I don't even know how to swing the camera around with the standard controls...

You can map the camera control to RB/LB just with the game's config.
It wont recognize RT/LT though.

brian!

it defaults to start and back for me, which is kind of funny
still wondering about how other people config their controllers

Gu4n

The fan-translation project has been revived if you're interesed though. Now, if only we could somehow work on Brandish 3...
The script of Brandish 4 is significantly larger than The Dark Revenant's (four main characters in total), so it's going to take a while before the translation has been completed, I'm afraid.

Top Bottom