• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky PC |OT|

Psxphile

Also a quest I got from Spence in Bose is aksing me to find bear claws on the road. Problem is, I already picked them up but the game doesn't acknowledges that. I tried to find the spot again but with no success....am I screwed?

You probably found those Bear Claws in the wrong region. Spence wants to find a place in the Bose region, after all. Not sure if you got yours from the right spot or not, but the correct spot is
in Nebel Valley

Bear Claws are region-locked? lol

Eusis

Did you play Grandia? If yes, then you can guess how this game works when it comes to regions (to an extent).
This is a little more predicatable/reliable though. It's why I likened it to Bioware hubs, Grandia was more a globe trotting adventure, frequently to unknown lands, so you'd actively have no way of returning. Trails in the Sky is more arbitrary, go past a checkpoint and be told you can't go back across but you have mostly free reign within a region, at least eventually. I guess that makes it a bit of a mix though: separate areas to go to that are more or less self contained, but barred from going out of order or even revisiting.

I'm kinda feeling a little bored when playing the game. I really hope that things will speed up a little like you mentioned in Chapter 2. I'm not really digging the graphics nor the music (and that's a big problem for me, because music is one of the most important factor for me to enjoy a game).

That's unfortunate that you don't like the music. Falcom can do almost no wrong to me when it comes to music. Ys music is better, but to me the music in this game just fits it.

wrowa

I'm kinda feeling a little bored when playing the game. I really hope that things will speed up a little like you mentioned in Chapter 2. I'm not really digging the graphics nor the music (and that's a big problem for me, because music is one of the most important factor for me to enjoy a game).

I like most of the music, but I really can't stand the track that's playing during battles. And in a game where you spend a lot of time fighting that's kind of a problem - until you realize that the music is stored as .ogg files in the game's folder which you can just switch out for other files.

Once you change this sneezefest of a track to this holy shitballs remix the battles become immediately 10 times more fun, believe me. :p

Did you play Grandia? If yes, then you can guess how this game works when it comes to regions (to an extent).

It's a little different in this particular case, though. The NPC doesn't want the Bear Claw per se, he wants to know a place where it grows, so he can collect some for his medicine. Knowing that it grows in a far-away region he can't go to isn't really helpful for him.

Aeana

FC has one of those soundtracks where none of the music bothers me, but not a lot of it sticks out. And I'm totally fine with that. Games with music that I actively dislike are really difficult to play. Plus FC still has pieces of music that I hum along to. I'm in Zeiss right now and humming right along.

desmax

FC has one of those soundtracks where none of the music bothers me, but not a lot of it sticks out. And I'm totally fine with that. Games with music that I actively dislike are really difficult to play. Plus FC still has pieces of music that I hum along to. I'm in Zeiss right now and humming right along.

Oh yeah, and even though it might not be one of their best soundtracks, the tracks seems to fit the game quite nicely. I personally woudn't put that zamnai remix of the battle theme in my game, because I don't think it fits the context of the game.

Been in Zeiss too; man, I don't fell like leaving the town with that music

I praised a lot of the stuff surrounding Bose, but damn... Raun was pretty damn good too.

Really looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Edit -- I'm really attached to the original Battle theme. But I have to agree that the Main Boss theme is REALLY lacking.

I love the boss fight track, but I also love the greatness that is Phantom Brave so that makes sense. There's alot of experimental tracks in this Steel Grate Barring the Way, Tetracyclic Towers, and Leiston Fortress but there's also alot of jazz and also folkish, rustic tunes in there as well deeply beholden to a particular instrument like Cat Relaxing in the Sun or Joshua's harmonica work. It's a very distinctive OST, both to the series, and at large, but quality.

There's a few under-composed tracks (the one that plays in the old academy building in particular sounds as if it shoulda baked a little longer).

I think that overall the ost is great. It's not something I'd listen to on its own but while playing the game it works really well and that's its purpose anyway.
I like how in a lot of tracks it doesn't sound like something you'd expect in a game like this, I think the composer was willing to take more risks and be more experimental compared to your average jrpg ost.
Regardless, you can't deny that the main theme is a very nice melody.

So is the only way to make money to either sell excess seliph or complete missions for the guild? I'm trying to rescue the two boys and these plants that shoot seeds seem to deal a lot of damage and a fight with 2 of them plus 2 gremlins almost wrecked my day. I was planning on saving all seliph to expand the slots on my orbaments board which seems like something that's very important, but I kind of want better gear especially armor to not get 2-3 shot by plants.

Aeana

So is the only way to make money to either sell excess seliph or complete missions for the guild? I'm trying to rescue the two boys and these plants that shoot seeds seem to deal a lot of damage and a fight with 2 of them plus 2 gremlins almost wrecked my day. I was planning on saving all seliph to expand the slots on my orbaments board which seems like something that's very important, but I kind of want better gear especially armor to not get 2-3 shot by plants.

You should have plenty of excess sepith of certain elements. It's not evenly distributed in the game, or evenly required. For example, water sepith is kind of a rarity compared to the other types in the game, but time/mirage/space sepith are not used for unlocking slots, so you can feel freer to sell them.

You should have plenty of excess sepith of certain elements. It's not evenly distributed in the game, or evenly required. For example, water sepith is kind of a rarity compared to the other types in the game, but time/mirage/space sepith are not used for unlocking slots, so you can feel freer to sell them.

Yeah I had a ton of that and was afraid to sell it for fear that some characters later in the game would need a stupid amount of them to get access to their orbaments. Thanks for the info

Finally got around to hooking up my ps3 controller to this game, the controls are still wonky though. I dunno who though it was a good idea to map cancel and menu to the same button but they should be flogged. I also really don't get why the game feels the need to have a camp button, a bracer book button, and a cook book button -.- really feel like the bracer book and the cook book should have been in the menu like they are in every other JRPG ever. Further the idea of run being L1 is just mind blowing

Yet when trying to customize it, because of how the game is set up I really couldn't figure out what the heck I would switch. Really wish I could map run and cancel to the same button and make menu (camp) it's own button by itself.

Aeana

Finally got around to hooking up my ps3 controller to this game, the controls are still wonky though. I dunno who though it was a good idea to map cancel and menu to the same button but they should be flogged. I also really don't get why the game feels the need to have a camp button, a bracer book button, and a cook book button -.- really feel like the bracer book and the cook book should have been in the menu like they are in every other JRPG ever. Further the idea of run being L1 is just mind blowing

Yet when trying to customize it, because of how the game is set up I really couldn't figure out what the heck I would switch. Really wish I could map run and cancel to the same button and make menu (camp) it's own button by itself.
Why not set the default to run and not worry about setting it to a button? There's no reason to walk in the game, ever.
And you can augment the gamepad controls with JoytoKey, mapping the keyboard arrow keys to the dpad, and ESC (menu) to a separate key from the menu if you wish.

Why not set the default to run and not worry about setting it to a button? There's no reason to walk in the game, ever.
And you can augment the gamepad controls with JoytoKey, mapping the keyboard arrow keys to the dpad, and ESC (menu) to a separate key from the menu if you wish.

I was afraid there might be some point in the game where you'd have to walk instead of run for whatever shenanigans reason, if it doesn't exist I'll just turn on auto run. Thanks

Golbez

I've encountered a bug with a particular chest in Sapphirl Tower.

When you examine the chest after getting the item in it, there's no way to close the text box. The game isn't frozen -- you can see the water animation in the corner of the screen, music continues as usual -- there just isn't a way to close the text box.

The game has been running really well for me so far, but I just had my first crash in the Sapphirl Tower after losing to the OTHER treasure baddie. The one with the Battle Suit. In my case I actually died in that battle, then when I hit "retry" the game outright crashed. Weird. Already reloaded and won that battle, guess I'm about to hit the other problematic chest.

Javaman

I'm loving the game so far. Gigantic kudos to the publisher for pricing the game at an affordable price of $16 or $20. That made it a no-brainer buy for me and I'm assuming many others. Hopefully more of your games show up on steam soon.

Tetsuo9

Fingers crossed that the game is at least selling as expected.

As for me I just finished the prologue, enjoying the game in 1 hour or so sessions at a time.

Fingers crossed that the game is at least selling as expected.

As for me I just finished the prologue, enjoying the game in 1 hour or so sessions at a time.

The game is constantly in the top 10 best sellers on Steam and been #1-2 on GoG, I'm going to guess that it's selling well.

I also use a PS3 controller. I had the same issue as you, I kept struggling with the idea of Menu (Camp) and Cancel being the same button. So to cope with it I mapped Camp/Cancel to two buttons. My configuration:

D-Pad: Menu control
Left Analog: Movement
Right Analog: Map Rotation (With use of JoytoKey)
Triangle: Camp/Cancel
Circle: Camp/Cancel
X: Confirm/Talk
Square: Bracer Book
L1: Recipe Book
R1: World Map
Start: Local Map
Select: Location Highlights

With Triangle and Circle mapped that way, it allows me to play it off as Triangle being menu and Circle being cancel separately (even though technically they are the same).

Here's a couple snapshots of my Trails configuration and JoyToKey configuration:

lc7jbzl.png

I haven't been keeping up, but is anyone else having issues with the bracer notebook? White blocks are blocking the text so I can't see anything is there a fix for it?

Despera

Banned
I also use a PS3 controller. I had the same issue as you, I kept struggling with the idea of Menu (Camp) and Cancel being the same button. So to cope with it I mapped Camp/Cancel to two buttons. My configuration:

For maximum comfort I'd not map anything to start or select.

My Joy2Key config:

D-Pad: Menu control/Movement
Left Analog: Menu control/Movement
Right Analog: Camera Rotation
Triangle: Cook Book
L1: Walk/Run
R1: Location Highlight
L2: World Map
R2: Local Map

demidar

Binding menu to the same button as cancel is super weird to me. I generally get out of menus by just mashing cancel until I can move again but obviously this doesn't work.

I also have a bit of a gripe regarding the party (camp?) menu. Finding which part of the menu you have focus on is a bit tough. Like for example going in to the menu to use a healing spell. The cursor and/or highlighting of menu options doesn't stand out enough, and I find myself confused as to what I currently have selected ("Am I selecting a character now? Am I selecting an Orbment Slot? Am I selecting the target of a spell?"). The highlighting of the menu tabs is also too low imo.

wrowa

The menu is designed to be controlled with a mouse, I think, which makes sense considering this game started on PC to begin with. Using the mouse it's quite easy and quick to use an arte in the orbment menu, but when you are using a controller it takes just a little too long to select a healing spell.

With Triangle and Circle mapped that way, it allows me to play it off as Triangle being menu and Circle being cancel separately (even though technically they are the same).

Here's a couple snapshots of my Trails configuration and JoyToKey configuration:

Cool I'll try this out later thanks

demidar

The menu is designed to be controlled with a mouse, I think, which makes sense considering this game started on PC to begin with. Using the mouse it's quite easy and quick to use an arte in the orbment menu, but when you are using a controller it takes just a little too long to select a healing spell.

Oh right, yeah that makes sense. I was thinking of just transitioning to kbam controls instead of using a gamepad. Still, my point stands.

Really enjoying the game and I still haven't run into any glitches so far.

The only things I wonder about is the Job Board. Is there a way to look at what a job entails without selecting to do said job?

Also, feels weird that I'm using my controllers Select and Start buttons to move the camera so I'm gonna try to adjust that as well.

Top Bottom