• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky PC |OT|

Aeana

Are any of the Steam achievements still bugged or is it possible to do a run to get all of them now?
I don't think any of the ones that have been reported have been fixed yet. Still waiting on a fix for the school spirit achievement, and I think Volcynika said that the orbment slots one is broken too. There's also still the chest in Sapphirl Tower that's busted which would prevent you from getting the chest message achievement.

creid

Ah ha ha, I'm starting to save my game just on impulse whenever I enter a new area or see a lone monster off to the side of the road, minding its own business. You know those guys are always trouble.
Check out page 0 of your save slots, all the autosaves are there. I'm not 100% on this, but I think the game autosaves every time you change screens, and maybe even after every battle?

Hubb

Check out page 0 of your save slots, all the autosaves are there. I'm not 100% on this, but I think the game autosaves every time you change screens, and maybe even after every battle?

Wish Ys 1 had that, lost a lot of progress the first time I played that game because I am so used to autosaving nowadays.

shiroryu

In the prologue and liking it thus far, bought it due to GAFHype™.

Some questions:
  • Is it necessary to fight the monsters chilling on the sides of the roads, or do the quests level you up enough naturally?
  • Can you use healing arts in the field? The shopkeeper recommends that you use recipes liberally to avoid potion overuse - is it a vital part of playing, or can you ignore them?
  • I assume that it's best to finish Bracer quests in a town when they become available before advancing main quests, or risk losing them?

wrowa

In the prologue and liking it thus far, bought it due to GAFHype™.

Some questions:
  • Is it necessary to fight the monsters chilling on the sides of the roads, or do the quests level you up enough naturally?
  • Can you use healing arts in the field? The shopkeeper recommends that you use recipes liberally to avoid potion overuse - is it a vital part of playing, or can you ignore them?
  • I assume that it's best to finish Bracer quests in a town when they become available before advancing main quests, or risk losing them?

Don't fight against every monster. That's completely unnecessary and it won't even bring you any meaningful EXP after a short while. Once your level is just a little higher than the mosters, the EXP will be decreased to just 3 or 4, making the battles not really worthwhile anymore. Also keep in mind that the "Run" command in battle has a 100% escape chance.

Cooking is completely optional. You might get some nice effects with it, but - just like in the Tales games - you won't have a problem if you don't make use of it. And, yes, you can use artes on the field, no problem.

Make quests as quickly as they become available, yes. Also check the board very frequently if you want to make all of them - it's incredibly easy to miss a few if you don't pay attention enough.

Just bought the game and have read through a most of this thread. Has anyone come up with a fix yet for the neon/duplicated intro video? I assume that if I'm having this problem with the opening I will have it with any subsequent FMV's as well, right?

Right now I'm playing at 1080p, Anisotropic texture filtering, high-res fonts, and no 30FPS limit.

I know that Xseed is hard at work squashing bugs with this game, but I haven't seen any recent mention about the videos. What is the cause of this issue, anyway?

Edit: Ah, okay. Looks like the only current work-around is running in windowed mode. I guess I'll have to wait for an official fix, as I really do prefer playing fullscreen. I've tried other resolutions too, to no avail.

No reason to not play it, that's the only video in the game.

Eusis

No reason to not play it, that's the only video in the game.
No, reasonably confident the ending is an FMV too. Not a very long one (most of the ending happens before that), but it IS a long RPG and it'll probably get worked out before then if you don't marathon it like crazy. Plus windowing DOES fix it, so you could just stop right before the problem point too.

No, reasonably confident the ending is an FMV too. Not a very long one (most of the ending happens before that), but it IS a long RPG and it'll probably get worked out before then if you don't marathon it like crazy. Plus windowing DOES fix it, so you could just stop right before the problem point too.

Yeah I mean except for the ending but I'm assuming it will be fixed before he gets there, really not a reason to delay playing it.

Negator

After getting to Chapter 2, I looked at the achievement list and decided that I am not going to worry about any of that shit! lol

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think any of the ones that have been reported have been fixed yet. Still waiting on a fix for the school spirit achievement, and I think Volcynika said that the orbment slots one is broken too. There's also still the chest in Sapphirl Tower that's busted which would prevent you from getting the chest message achievement.

The chest is still broken? Haven't been playing for a while. Guess I'll continue when that and achievements get fixed.

shiroryu

Don't fight against every monster. That's completely unnecessary and it won't even bring you any meaningful EXP after a short while. Once your level is just a little higher than the mosters, the EXP will be decreased to just 3 or 4, making the battles not really worthwhile anymore. Also keep in mind that the "Run" command in battle has a 100% escape chance.

Cooking is completely optional. You might get some nice effects with it, but - just like in the Tales games - you won't have a problem if you don't make use of it. And, yes, you can use artes on the field, no problem.

Make quests as quickly as they become available, yes. Also check the board very frequently if you want to make all of them - it's incredibly easy to miss a few if you don't pay attention enough.

Thanks!

Is there a way to see monster level or difficulty before you fight it?

And the Monster Manual in-game has a "coming soon" listed. Is it going to be patched in later or something?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks!

Is there a way to see monster level or difficulty before you fight it?

And the Monster Manual in-game has a "coming soon" listed. Is it going to be patched in later or something?

They are using some of the PS3 assets in the bestiary and I don't think they had everything ready at release, but didn't want to delay the game further just for that feature.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Oh I'm still going to play it. I just meant I'll have to play windowed and wait for an official fix before going back to fullscreen.

I'm not sure it's worth it to play in windowed mode for that if you prefer fullscreen. You can disable the logo video in the config if it bothers you and the opening only plays when you start a new game.

ScOULaris

I'm not sure it's worth it to play in windowed mode for that if you prefer fullscreen. You can disable the logo video in the config if it bothers you and the opening only plays when you start a new game.
Yeah, I'm playing fullscreen now that I've gotten past the intro.

I'm not sure we're at the point of knowing yet, but how do the collection achievements work? Do they need to be in one go or do they carry over in New Game+? I guess I missed the first Carnella Book thanks to how awesome this game is designed and I'm a few hours into the prologue so I'm not going to start over.

Conezays

Stoked on playing more of this passed the opening couple hours; almost done replaying Final Fantasy VIII, so this one's next on the melon collie and infinite backlog.

I'm not sure we're at the point of knowing yet, but how do the collection achievements work? Do they need to be in one go or do they carry over in New Game+? I guess I missed the first Carnella Book thanks to how awesome this game is designed and I'm a few hours into the prologue so I'm not going to start over.

You can purchase the first 2 chapters in the store in Bose during chapter 1. These 2 are the only ones that the game gives you a chance to get if you missed them though.

Syril

Joshua's english voice is shitty and don't fit the character at all. Wtf.

Good thing there's an option to turn off the voices, right? I always found it kind of jarring when RPGs have character voices only in battle, because you get to know characters for while before you use them in fights usually, and you've probably already imagined a voice for them by then.

Alright, thanks. Guess I could make a save before each of their regular trigger points and wait that fix out.

Thanks for the info.

flowsnake

You can buy that one later, I think.

You can buy the first 2 volumes again in Chapter 1 if you miss them

ScOULaris

Man... I want this. How soon until the bugs are all ironed out, so it will be worth the time to start it up?
Seems like most of them are all sorted out now with the exception of the opening FMV'S being distorted on certain full screen resolutions, but running the game in windowed mode solves that problem. I just started the game a few hours ago and haven't run into any issues.

Man... I want this. How soon until the bugs are all ironed out, so it will be worth the time to start it up?

Yeah I'm waiting until all the obvious bugs have been fixed. I understand that most crash bugs are gone but it still sounds like there's a number of things that need to be addressed. I might buy it before Tuesday for the 15% off but I have enough games to keep me busy for a while so I'm not in a rush to play it.

MoogPaul

Anyone else notice that Apple and Limon use the wrong pronouns when talking about each other? Maybe Ravennue is just super progressive.

I missed a point somewhere. Can't figure out where. Bothering the hell out of me considering my psp run was 100%

Shahadan

I'm still in chapter 1 but I'm really not enjoying it. I don't see it magically becoming fun later either.
I kinda want to drop it but there is something, somewhere, that will probably keep me playing a few more hours.

I'd rather have a book version, as a game it's a chore.

After hearing about hidden quests, I decided to check if I missed any. Turns out I did because I explored the entire Bose region far too early (Main quest? What's that?), never going back to a certain area again when the hidden quest was supposed to start. orz

I also missed one of the Carnelia books. >.> You guys weren't kidding about the timing or requirements. How am I supposed to get it when it means
staying in the same room as Olivier!?
No one should be subject to such torture!

I'm still in chapter 1 but I'm really not enjoying it. I don't see it magically becoming fun later either.
I kinda want to drop it but there is something, somewhere, that will probably keep me playing a few more hours.

A book version wouldn't work so well, as you couldn't do the same sort of non-linear narrative telling through NPC dialogue that Falcom uses in the Trails series.

wrowa

Well, what is it that you dislike about the game?

Unfortunately the game isn't for everyone. The Prologue and most of Chapter 1 and probably half of Chapter 2 are a real slog for me. The game starts off really slowly in my opinion, but it really picks up steam at the end of Chapter 2, though for some people it starts to pick up when you meet Olivier in Chapter 1. By the middle of Chapter 2 the combat system is fleshed out enough to add some complexity with the increase in Artes and Crafts. The characters and the story have evolved so that it is more than just this grand adventure from the 2 siblings.

10-15 hours into a game is lot to wade through to get to the good parts understandably. When I originally played it on PSP 2 years ago, I stopped for a while because it was so slow. I picked it back up after reading so many peoples' opinions about it. For me, it was absolutely worth it. It was my favorite game of last gen, and I am thoroughly enjoying my second playthrough, especially after clearing chapter 1.

Shahadan

Well, what is it that you dislike about the game?

For now I just see no point doing what I am doing. Everything feels so slow. Quests aren't fun or even rewarding enough, areas are mostly ugly and everything looks the same even within one area. You know this feeling when a battle ends and for a minute you don't remember which way you came from or where you have to go because the whole area is just basically one texture? It just makes me miss Grandia's compass (even Grandia in its entirety for that matter :p)
There is also way too much backtracking for my taste, and knowing you can have stupid short windows of opportunity to get something in places you have no reason to be is something I've always hated.

Basically the way I see it it's jsut dated game design, understandably so since it's rather old.
In the end a lot of times already I just wished the characters kept talking and didn't send me somewhere doing boring, slow things :lol:

I guess I would have enjoyed it more when it originally came out.

Unfortunately the game isn't for everyone. The Prologue and most of Chapter 1 and probably half of Chapter 2 are a real slog for me. The game starts off really slowly in my opinion, but it really picks up steam at the end of Chapter 2, though for some people it starts to pick up when you meet Olivier in Chapter 1. By the middle of Chapter 2 the combat system is fleshed out enough to add some complexity with the increase in Artes and Crafts. The characters and the story have evolved so that it is more than just this grand adventure from the 2 siblings.

10-15 hours into a game is lot to wade through to get to the good parts understandably. When I originally played it on PSP 2 years ago, I stopped for a while because it was so slow. I picked it back up after reading so many peoples' opinions about it. For me, it was absolutely worth it. It was my favorite game of last gen, and I am thoroughly enjoying my second playthrough, especially after clearing chapter 1.

This post makes me a believer again! Thanks.
As I said something is still compelling me to play a bit more, I guess I'll try to get to chapter 2 and maybe complete it, at least.

For now I just see no point doing what I am doing. Everything feels so slow. Quests aren't fun or even rewarding enough, areas are mostly ugly and everything looks the same even within one area. You know this feeling when a battle ends and for a minute you don't remember which way you came from or where you have to go because the whole area is just basically one texture? It just makes me miss Grandia's compass (even Grandia in its entirety for that matter :p)
There is also way too much backtracking for my taste, and knowing you can have stupid short windows of opportunity to get something in places you have no reason to be is something I've always hated.

Basically the way I see it it's jsut dated game design, understandably so since it's rather old.
In the end a lot of times already I just wished the characters kept talking and didn't send me somewhere doing boring, slow things :lol:

I guess I would have enjoyed it more when it originally came out.

This post makes me a believer again! Thanks.
As I said something is still compelling me to play a bit more, I guess I'll try to get to chapter 2 and maybe complete it, at least.

There's also a compass bezel on your MAP icon in the upper right. BRACERS, HO!

But yeah, it's a measured, savoring game for the first 15 hours. So many quit during that stretch on PSP. I will say it isn't "dated" for that, but it's definately something that is necessary to the versimlitude and plot.

Shahadan

Also a quest I got from Spence in Bose is aksing me to find bear claws on the road. Problem is, I already picked them up but the game doesn't acknowledges that. I tried to find the spot again but with no success....am I screwed?

wrowa

Also a quest I got from Spence in Bose is aksing me to find bear claws on the road. Problem is, I already picked them up but the game doesn't acknowledges that. I tried to find the spot again but with no success....am I screwed?

You probably found those Bear Claws in the wrong region. Spence wants to find a place in the Bose region, after all. Not sure if you got yours from the right spot or not, but the correct spot is
in Nebel Valley

Shahadan

You probably found those Bear Claws in the wrong region. Spence wants to find a place in the Bose region, after all. Not sure if you got yours from the right spot or not, but the correct spot is
in Nebel Valley

Oh right, I just found one there ! I just wanted to visit, guess I was lucky :p Thanks!
But I'm pretty sure I found one earlier near the King Scorpion on the road near Bose. I thought it was that one.

Nohar

I'm kinda feeling a little bored when playing the game. I really hope that things will speed up a little like you mentioned in Chapter 2. I'm not really digging the graphics nor the music (and that's a big problem for me, because music is one of the most important factor for me to enjoy a game).

Top Bottom