• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky PC |OT|

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
btw, White Gehenna is pretty sweet now that I've unlocked it. Is it the most powerful AoE Art in the game?

I think so, unless you can hit an enemy weakness with an elemental ability.

You can get White Gehenna as early as the beginning of Chapter 2 though, when Action 2 becomes available. I just got to Ruan and already have it on Joshua.

Despera

Banned
I think so, unless you can hit an enemy weakness with an elemental ability.

You can get White Gehenna as early as the beginning of Chapter 2 though, when Action 2 becomes available. I just got to Ruan and already have it on Joshua.
Yep as soon as I reached Ruan I stormed into the orbal factory and grabbed everything.

Psxphile

Same. Time quartz spells in general have been pretty useful when I can't hit an elemental weakness and damage output usually outstrips whatever I have available in elements.

Which reminds me: what's the reason for some quartz being greyed out when you want to place them on a line? Even in 'All Quartz Ok' slots, after placing a few down I find you can't place certain quartz anymore. And I'm not talking about the 'can't place more than one of each quartz' limitation.

demidar

Same. Time quartz spells in general have been pretty useful when I can't hit an elemental weakness and damage output usually outstrips whatever I have available in elements.

Which reminds me: what's the reason for some quartz being greyed out when you want to place them on a line? Even in 'All Quartz Ok' slots, after placing a few down I find you can't place certain quartz anymore. And I'm not talking about the 'can't place more than one of each quartz' limitation.

Are you sure? Quartz can be grouped up to be the same type without actually being the same. Like you can't put two type of status effect attacks in your Orbment even if they're different (Seal, Poison, Confuse, Petrify etc. count as the same for dupe purposes).

Psxphile

Are you sure? Quartz can be grouped up to be the same type without actually being the same. Like you can't put two type of status effect attacks in your Orbment even if they're different (Seal, Poison, Confuse, Petrify etc. count as the same for dupe purposes).

Ah, you know... that might be it. So it won't allow you to stack status-effecting quartz like that. Yeah, that makes sense. Tried to set both Seal and Strike quartz on the same orbment but it was a no-go.

Anyway, Chapter 3 now. Unfortunate we keep leaving people behind whenever we have to travel to a new region. Unfortunate, but realistic I guess. Do we ever get to assemble a party of more than 4? Maybe in the final chapter...?

pahamrick

Ah, you know... that might be it. So it won't allow you to stack status-effecting quartz like that. Yeah, that makes sense. Tried to set both Seal and Strike quartz on the same orbment but it was a no-go.

Anyway, Chapter 3 now. Unfortunate we can't leaving people behind whenever we have to travel to a new region. Unfortunate, but realistic I guess. Do we ever get to assemble a party of more than 4? Maybe in the final chapter...?

End game spoilers, sorta.

You get to assemble a team of four using Joshua, Estelle and then 2 of anyone else you've partied with in the game up to that point.

Edit - Made my statement a bit clearer.

Anyway, Chapter 3 now. Unfortunate we can't leaving people behind whenever we have to travel to a new region. Unfortunate, but realistic I guess. Do we ever get to assemble a party of more than 4? Maybe in the final chapter...?

You use a party of four for the vast majority of SC, for what it's worth. The first chapter or two involve putting the band back together, and after that you run with four for nearly the entire game, outside of a few special event sequences.

Psxphile

End game spoilers, sorta.

You get to assemble a team of four using Joshua, Estelle and then 2 of anyone else you've partied with in the game up to that point.

Edit - Made my statement a bit clearer.
So only at the end will the game allow me to switch around characters, huh?

You use a party of four for the vast majority of SC, for what it's worth. The first chapter or two involve putting the band back together, and after that you run with four for nearly the entire game, outside of a few special event sequences.

You make it sound like it'll be the same four characters. I assume it'll be much like FC, where half of your team will be rotated/replaced on a per chapter basis? Or will the ranks grow, and the game will allow you to configure your party from a pool of PCs?

edit: :(

Also, since a PC review was just posted, I figure I'll share this one as well. It was just tweeted to us a little while ago:

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2014/08/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky-review/

-Tom

Nice review but the writer doesn't seem to be aware that it was originally a PC game to begin with:

It originally came out on the PSP in 2004, becoming a hit in Japan but not seeing a release outside it until 2011. It has finally been localised and ported to the PC

Trails in the Sky feels a little older than it should thanks to its portable origins

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Manoria Byroad seems to have some minor widescreen issues. It looks like it primarily happens on the left side of the screen, happens a lot when you are heading toward Krone Pass.

R2WSjbl.jpg

Almighty

Well I haven't played the game much(got distracted) but I am liking what I have played so far and plan to finish it before the end of the year. I am also glad it sold very well at launch as I would love for more JRPGs to hit the PC. Though I am a little sad that we won't be getting sales numbers. I guess I will just have to rely on the old Steam peak times 10 to guesstimate sales.

Nohar

So, I finished the game. I was honestly unconvinced up until the last two chapters. I guessed some twists fearly early, like (end-game spoilers, you have been warned)
Kloe being a princess, Olivier not being a simple wandering musician, that Richard was up to no good, that Joshua was an assassin of some sort (he was just too knowledgeable and good in combat ~ his S-Break "Black Fang" just screamed overpowered, not to mention his other powers) and that Professor Alba wasn't all nice thanks to his "stare", the only time we see his eyes, which was quite eerie... Though I really didn't expect the revelation at the end about him.

And now I need the Second Chapter. Like, right now. Oh, and also a save with a perfect Bracer points score ~ I missed a few smoke bombs back in the Orbal factory, and I'm 3 points short... I don't really want to play the game from the beginning again.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, Carnelia Chapter 5. And the NPC even references how terrible the requirements are.

I'm not sure which is worse, this one or Chapter 3. Probably this one since the game actually encourages you to miss it.

So I'm getting the impression this is gonna be a very, very LONG game, is there any good 100% guides that is fairly spoiler free out there so I don't have to replay this again before the second one comes out? Normally I'd play though it once blind then repeat with an 100% guide, but I've agreed to play Persona 3 and 4 after this (neither of which I've played before) and it's hard enough to find time to finish 1 40 hour JRPG, let alone 3 lol.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm getting the impression this is gonna be a very, very LONG game, is there any good 100% guides that is fairly spoiler free out there so I don't have to replay this again before the second one comes out? Normally I'd play though it once blind then repeat with an 100% guide, but I've agreed to play Persona 3 and 4 after this (neither of which I've played before) and it's hard enough to find time to finish 1 40 hour JRPG, let alone 3 lol.

There are two complete walkthroughs on gamefaqs. Neither of them really spoil anything unless you read ahead.

Make sure you save often and use many slots, because it is very, very easy to miss some BP somewhere or not get a Carnelia chapter if you weren't referencing the guide frequently enough. Some of the things you have to do to 100% this game are really obtuse.

This not the only one lol.

1 and 2 can be bought if missed so those aren't a problem. 4 and 6 at least have the benefit of not popping up in the middle of story quests. 3 and 5 are rough because of that, especially 5 since you have to specifically do basically the opposite of what the game tells you to do. "Life is full of contradictions" indeed.

And now, more acute cases of Kisekitus have started developing.

Symptoms including violent shaking, foaming at the mouth, and wild fever dreams about SC.

ZenaxPure

Slightly OT, but man I've got bad news for you if you think P3 and P4 are 40 hour games...

Anyhow, I decided to finish up some other games (and then I got sidetracked by Dragon's Crown, darn you PS+!) but I finally got back to playing this tonight, ended up finishing the prologue and made it to the next major town. Man, that prologue was soooo long. Not that I'm complaining or anything, I'm having a lot of fun with the game.

You make it sound like it'll be the same four characters. I assume it'll be much like FC, where half of your team will be rotated/replaced on a per chapter basis? Or will the ranks grow, and the game will allow you to configure your party from a pool of PCs?

edit: :(

Not really a spoiler, but:

Sorry, I guess it wasn't clear: you gain the ability to swap out party members far, far earlier than you do in FC. Once folks rejoin "the band", they're pretty much back in for the entire tour barring a few specific events. For the vast majority of the game, you'll be able to assemble your party of four from a selection of characters.

I'm pretty sure you actually need to play this at least twice to get 100% completion (there's a bestiary entry you can't get while getting all BP and another 2 mutually exclusive bestiery entries, and there's a choice of 2 different ultimate weapons). I don't think that matters for SC though, I think the only thing that matters there is full BP ?

Psxphile

I don't think that matters for SC though, I think the only thing that matters there is full BP ?

Whoah now... back that truck up. I can't believe it never occurred to me to even ask but: just what exactly does save transfer between FC and SC entail? And do you simply have to have a completed save file or, as suggested above, are there other bonuses given depending on your performance?

I'm pretty sure you actually need to play this at least twice to get 100% completion (there's a bestiary entry you can't get while getting all BP and another 2 mutually exclusive bestiery entries, and there's a choice of 2 different ultimate weapons). I don't think that matters for SC though, I think the only thing that matters there is full BP ?

Not too worried about enemy bestiaries unless their is some sort of carry over bonus to the sequel. Can you transfer weapons or just exp/levels?

Krelian91

Is the Patient Plunderer achievement still bugged? Steam says that I opened 34 chests but I'm pretty sure I opened more. Am I the only one getting this?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not too worried about enemy bestiaries unless their is some sort of carry over bonus to the sequel. Can you transfer weapons or just exp/levels?

I think it's just Estelle's level (with some limitations), and then a bonus based on your BP.

And another minor widescreen issue, during the scene in the spa Mao doesn't disappear when she walks away, she just stands at the door at the corner of the screen.

Nohar

I love the arranged version of Silver Will from the "Super arrange version" album ♥

*sigh* I remember XSEED saying that SC was expected to be released late 2014, but I guess I need to be realistic: it probably won't be out before 2015. Sure, they will be able to use their experience of the PC version of FC to tackle some issues, but I guess that new ones will probably arise as well.

The wait is already killing me. Vicious cliffhanger is vicious.

Varion

*sigh* I remember XSEED saying that SC was expected to be released late 2014, but I guess I need to be realistic: it probably won't be out before 2015. Sure, they will be able to use their experience of the PC version of FC to tackle some issues, but I guess that new ones will probably arise as well.

The wait is already killing me. Vicious cliffhanger is vicious.
'End of 2014 isn't impossible, but early 2015 is more likely' is the official stance, I think. Personally I'd just expect 2015 and be pleasantly surprised if it comes out this year, but my instinct is that it won't.

Whoah now... back that truck up. I can't believe it never occurred to me to even ask but: just what exactly does save transfer between FC and SC entail? And do you simply have to have a completed save file or, as suggested above, are there other bonuses given depending on your performance?
Basically:
- Estelle's level carries over if it's between 35 and 40. If it's higher than 40 it's reduced to 40, if it's lower than 35 then it's increased to 35.
- If you got max BP then you get a quartz that makes enemies drop more sepith. If you didn't get max (anything less than 368) then you don't. You can get more of said quartz later in the game anyway though.
- Many of the NPCs in the game will give you stuff when you see them again if you did their quests in FC, and their dialogue will change to reflect the fact you've helped them before.

'End of 2014 isn't impossible, but early 2015 is more likely' is the official stance, I think. Personally I'd just expect 2015 and be pleasantly surprised if it comes out this year, but my instinct is that it won't.

Basically:
- Estelle's level carries over if it's between 35 and 40. If it's higher than 40 it's reduced to 40, if it's lower than 35 then it's increased to 35.
- If you got max BP then you get a quartz that makes enemies drop more sepith. If you didn't get max (anything less than 368) then you don't. You can get more of said quartz later in the game anyway though.
- Many of the NPCs in the game will give you stuff when you see them again if you did their quests in FC, and their dialogue will change to reflect the fact you've helped them before.

That last one is a really cool touch.

wrowa

I've been expecting a 2015 release for quite a while now, especially since Xseed doesn't sound very optimistic about a 2014 either, but SC would definitely make for a great Christmas surprise.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I know Spacedrake has said he really wants to get it out this year, but yeah, it's not looking likely. I'm expecting March/April and hoping it won't end up pushed further back than that. If it comes earlier, awesome.

Psxphile

Basically:

Neat.

this has to be the longest prologue ive ever played
btw im using an achievement guide and it says to buy 2 copies of the news yet its not selectable in the buy screen in the goods store
what gives?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Guess I need to kill more enemies, I've been avoiding encounters for almost all of chapter 3 and found a particular boss featuring 3 enemies to be very difficult, they were all getting two turns to my one and could KO a character in 3 hits (made worse by status ailments and multitarget attacks). The following boss, while easier, took barely any damage and had tons of HP so the fight really dragged out.

this has to be the longest prologue ive ever played
btw im using an achievement guide and it says to buy 2 copies of the news yet its not selectable in the buy screen in the goods store
what gives?

I don't think you need two, just read the one you get before you give it to Cassius and it should count toward the achievement. He automatically takes it when you go back to the house.

And the prologue is basically an entire chapter by itself, it's not short or lacking in content compared to the actual chapters.

wrowa

rule 1 of RPGs chaosblade
KILL EVERYTHING THAT MOVES

That's not a good advice in this game at all. Experience gained after each fight will be reduced extensively if you are just slighty overleveled - which can happen really quickly, especially in the beginning. The battles are rather slow, really, and once you're starting to pick a fight against every single monster you run into you'll get tired of it pretty quickly. There's a reason why you can escape fights with a 100% escape chance - so make use of it!

Of course, this doesn't mean that you shouldn't fight at all, but you probably don't want to fight against every little creature just for the heck of it.

So, I finished the game. I was honestly unconvinced up until the last two chapters. I guessed some twists fearly early, like (end-game spoilers, you have been warned)
Kloe being a princess, Olivier not being a simple wandering musician, that Richard was up to no good, that Joshua was an assassin of some sort (he was just too knowledgeable and good in combat ~ his S-Break "Black Fang" just screamed overpowered, not to mention his other powers) and that Professor Alba wasn't all nice thanks to his "stare", the only time we see his eyes, which was quite eerie... Though I really didn't expect the revelation at the end about him.

And now I need the Second Chapter. Like, right now. Oh, and also a save with a perfect Bracer points score ~ I missed a few smoke bombs back in the Orbal factory, and I'm 3 points short... I don't really want to play the game from the beginning again.

Pm'd you.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So before I cross the border I should make sure to buy every food item in all the bars/restaurants to add them to my cooking list correct?

Yeah, good to do that at the first available opportunity. Several are available at various points in the game, but many are exclusive to shops/stores. And I believe all sit-down meals are exclusive to a single store/inn.

It's not necessary unless you are going for the achievement, but having as many recipes as possible is helpful.

Varion

Although the recipe book achievement seems to be broken in that it unlocks too early as it is. I still have five of them left and it's unlocked regardless.

Certainly doesn't hurt to have as many as you can, though. Cooking is useful.

Other then getting all BP (and these story books) I'm not super worried about filling out the cooking or monster books or getting all achievements.

Having finished the prologue and gotten to the second main town I really am digging Trails in the Sky. It's got a massive Grandia vibe in this whole "no returning to a town once you've left" and I'm going to assume that other then Estelle and maybe Joshua the rest of the party member slots will rotate based upon the story like Grandia.

Are all the games in the Legends of Hero series this good? Or is the trails in the sky trilogy really the stand out?

There's also a cooking money trick if I recall correctly...

Once you're in Bose, you can make and sell Apple Ice Cream for a profit. I'm not sure if this is present in the PC version.

Oh wait the order you put your orbs in matters? And your spells aren't based upon what orb but the level of each connecting orb?!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Well I feel dumb

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Oh wait the order you put your orbs in matters? And your spells aren't based upon what orb but the level of each connecting orb?!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Well I feel dumb

They don't have to be connecting, they have to be on the same line. All of the lines extend out from the slot in the bottom-center, and the slot in the bottom-center counts towards all lines. See how, in the top-right part of the Orbment screen, it shows the value of each element in each line? That's what determines what arts you have access to.

They don't have to be connecting, they have to be on the same line (with the slot in the bottom-center counting towards all lines). See how, in the top-right part of the Orbment screen, it shows the value of each element in each line? That's what determines what arts you have access to.

Yeah, I get it now, let me get Tempest on Joshua while Estelle has her hurricane special move, should make random battle a lot easier.

Top Bottom