• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky PC |OT|

Ratrat

I only discovered this series because of the psp demo...*shrugs* Maybe it was too niche but I distinctly remember not being able to find this in stores, and had to resort to ordering it from amazon. But then again I seem to be one of the few people who enjoy Trails for the gameplay over story/characters.

Since we've been talking about gameplay in this game, I have a question. Just how much harder is Hard Mode for this game? The impressions I've gotten is that FC isn't super challenging (and that SC kicks it up a couple notches) so people who might be more interested in the combat side might benefit from knowing if they should go hunt down a Japanese clear so they can experience Hard Mode from the get-go.

Also, even Charles Barkely's excited for Trails in the Sky.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Since we've been talking about gameplay in this game, I have a question. Just how much harder is Hard Mode for this game? The impressions I've gotten is that FC isn't super challenging (and that SC kicks it up a couple notches) so people who might be more interested in the combat side might benefit from knowing if they should go hunt down a Japanese clear so they can experience Hard Mode from the get-go.

Also, even Charles Barkely's excited for Trails in the Sky.

He must have been more excited for Ys Seven, because Basket Interference is still the best one of these I've seen.

Dr Dogg

Well this is an OT and a half. Great work Volcynika, NomadicTrooperGirl, notworksafe, dragon1893, Varion, and Aeana.

I wonder what the Euro tax XSEED are going to put on this? Saying that all their other Steam releases thus far have been reasonably priced.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
See, the "not too worried about the story" part is the part that kind of worries ME, because Trails is ALL ABOUT the story. If you're asking about the combat system, you're kind of focusing on the wrong thing, since combat honestly plays second fiddle to story and world development in the case of this particular title (and series). You'll be spending WAY more time talking to NPCs, learning about the world and advancing cutscenes than you will fighting enemies (like, seriously, you'll go for hours without combat on many occasions), and if that's not what you're looking for, Trails may not be the game for you.

Well perhaps I wasn't clear. I wasn't worried about the story because just about everyone says it's good and the world and lore is great and all that. Haven't heard any negative feedback about this, so I am not too worried that it'll end up being bad.

But, I can't play a game just for the story. If combat is tedious and painful, it will be a slog, and I don't want that. So that's why I asked about the combat. Thanks for the detailed write-up, nothing jumps at me as being an immediate turn off so far. ;)

kudoboi

never played
or even heard
of this game before. will there be voice acting in this game or just tons of reading like in other games?

pahamrick

I bought the PSP version the same day I got my Vita, but unfortunately never finished it due to losing my save from being an idiot.

I will definitely be double dipping, just sad I can't do it day 1.

Arthea

Nice OT!
it was long wait, but we are finally getting there, buying it day 1 and keep waiting for SC, in hopes series will be popular on steam enough for us to get TC one day too.

Sorry if I missed it, but is there an option for japanese voices during combat? I already played the english PSP version so it would be a nice change to play with japanese voices this time.

Sorry if I missed it, but is there an option for japanese voices during combat? I already played the english PSP version so it would be a nice change to play with japanese voices this time.

only english, you can get them in japanese but you'd need some files from the japanese version of the game.

Well perhaps I wasn't clear. I wasn't worried about the story because just about everyone says it's good and the world and lore is great and all that. Haven't heard any negative feedback about this, so I am not too worried that it'll end up being bad.

But, I can't play a game just for the story. If combat is tedious and painful, it will be a slog, and I don't want that. So that's why I asked about the combat. Thanks for the detailed write-up, nothing jumps at me as being an immediate turn off so far. ;)

Don't worry, the combat is pretty good.

The combat is okay, it's just not the reason people play these games.

TheChaos0

The combat is okay, it's just not the reason people play these games.

I'd say the combat is good rather just OK. It's turned based but you can move around the field, that already makes it great.

All aspects of the game are good, not just the story. It just happens that the story is the best aspect of the game.

I started playing this on the PSP, but then I heard this was coming out and with a better translation, I think I'm going to need to restart the game :\

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What kind of changes?

I saw the thing about the German skill names but that doesn't seem like anything important.

Correcting some references to future games, I think.

If I understood currently the person who translated the PSP version, didn't do a good job and even misunderstood some of the text.

I don't think it's so much that the translation of the PSP version was bad, it's just some of the nitty-gritty details didn't get picked up, apparently due to unfamiliarity with the series on behalf of those involved with the game.

I don't feel like a demo's really going to help a game like TiTs that much.

Personally, I'd rather XSEED do multiple trailers that go a bit extra in-depth towards the lore, the mechanics, etc of the game.
Showcase the points of the game that tickles the nostalgia of fans of various other JRPGs, ala SatelliteofLove's post above, but obviously... more subtly.

I'm in full-blown shill mode, and not a represenative from Falcom, XSEED, nor Carpe Fulgur so I don't have to show any subtlety. It is ON. :D

I'd say the combat is good rather just OK. It's turned based but you can move around the field, that already makes it great.

All aspects of the game are good, not just the story. It just happens that the story is the best aspect of the game.

It's simple, quick and honestly relatively easy. It's a breath of fresh air after alot of easy-but-fiddly systems that have you tending Goldbergian meters that mean little to strategy.

I had no idea that this was coming out on GOG, i was about to get it on PSN but I'll buy this release instead.
I'd love to see more jrpg's on PC as well, keep up the good work Xseed!

Demos in general suck, but I gotta mention the EO4/Untold demos which are great, they give you the first 1-2 hours of the game, no restrictions at all.
Well, that's one benefit of being a dungeon-crawler, not a straight-ahead, story-driven JRPG.

Xenosaga comparisons are...interesting. My sister loved the series, but every time I've tried to complete Episode 1 ended before getting to the Kukai Foundation (and I only got to the Cathedral Ship once anyway). The setting in those games is far more appealing to me on principle, but the writing left something to be desired. How does this bode for me liking TitS?

TheChaos0

Well, that's one benefit of being a dungeon-crawler, not a straight-ahead, story-driven JRPG.

Xenosaga comparisons are...interesting. My sister loved the series, but every time I've tried to complete Episode 1 ended before getting to the Kukai Foundation (and I only got to the Cathedral Ship once anyway). The setting in those games is far more appealing to me on principle, but the writing left something to be desired. How does this bode for me liking TitS?

Trails has a great coherent fantasy story, with great characters and great writing.

The setting in those games is far more appealing to me on principle, but the writing left something to be desired. How does this bode for me liking TitS?

I'd say the writing of TitS is far, far superior to Xenosaga. It won't win any Oscars, but TitS has a... straightforward, simple and delightful writing imo, that captures the essence of its main story, which is a coming-of-age roadtrip/adventure of two siblings in a muted, fantasy world.

Its writing, imo, is very character-driven first-and-foremost, and you learn about the world through the myriad amount of interaction you derive from the constantly changing NPC dialogue that each tell their own personal story within that setting. It's a rich world that slowly unravels itself through your effort to learn more about it.

I would say Xenosaga's problem in its writing is that it tends to be overly convoluted, and occasionally doesn't know where to put its characterisation in alignment with the storytelling. It tries to be character-focused, but it allows the mumbo-jumbo of the lore to creep into every aspect of the character to the point that it felt unreal, especially since Xenosaga tends to go the very deep end of scifi fantasy.

If it helps, the main reason I couldn't finish Ep 1 was the massive amount of cutscenes stacked on the Woglinde chapter. I'm presuming the same with this game, which means I could really benefit from playing on the highest difficulty from the get-go.

tokkun

Trails is the reverse. The dialog writing has charm to it, but the scenario is pretty cliched.

Necrovex

If it helps, the main reason I couldn't finish Ep 1 was the massive amount of cutscenes stacked on the Woglinde chapter. I'm presuming the same with this game, which means I could really benefit from playing on the highest difficulty from the get-go.

Who doesn't love saving in between cutscenes? I could eat an entire meal during certain scenes!

It would be a shame not to have it posted in the OT so here goes:

From the steamgaf thread, courtesy of CheesecakeRecipe, the Tits hype train:

ibgKSs8ZaMCPyp.png

Syraxith

No "might be" about it -- it's coming! It's just taking a while. ;)
-Tom

Awww yeah I forgot about Carpe Fulgur.

Well if profits are high enough maybe you guys can contract a few more people to have the future games released in the not too distant future.

Gu4n

I'd say the writing of TitS is far, far superior to Xenosaga. It won't win any Oscars, but TitS has a... straightforward, simple and delightful writing imo, that captures the essence of its main story, which is a coming-of-age roadtrip/adventure of two siblings in a muted, fantasy world.

Its writing, imo, is very character-driven first-and-foremost, and you learn about the world through the myriad amount of interaction you derive from the constantly changing NPC dialogue that each tell their own personal story within that setting. It's a rich world that slowly unravels itself through your effort to learn more about it.

I would say Xenosaga's problem in its writing is that it tends to be overly convoluted, and occasionally doesn't know where to put its characterisation in alignment with the storytelling. It tries to be character-focused, but it allows the mumbo-jumbo of the lore to creep into every aspect of the character to the point that it felt unreal, especially since Xenosaga tends to go the very deep end of scifi fantasy.
Well said, well said. The very first thing I loved about Trails in the Sky when I played the PSP release was the meticulous attention to details. It took me a while before I figured out what it was exactly that struck me as detailed, but after a while I realised it was the credibility of the world. The NPC's, even the many without portraits, are portrayed as persons rather than characters and many undergo a more profound development than the main characters of a handful of other RPGs. Another detail that comes to mind is the 'completeness' of the world, like empty rooms that serve no other purpose than 'completing' the world. To stay with the persons/character analogy, Falcom filled the world of Zemuria with homes rather than just houses.

Top Bottom