• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky PC |OT|

Aeana

Anyone that hasn't played the game and is on the fence about it really needs to keep their expectations low. Don't listen to GAF's hype. Trails in the Sky is the most overrated RPG since Final Fantasy VII. I finally made myself play through the PSP version last year and I was really disappointed with it. I don't think I've ever played a RPG as boring as it was. Nothing happens in the game until the very ending and even then, it wasn't very interesting.
It's a very lighthearted RPG for most of the game, so if you're looking for Xenosaga-style melodrama you're certainly not going to find it here. With that said, I think it really picks up after the first game. Hopefully SC makes it out in a timely fashion so people can see.

B.K.

It's a very lighthearted RPG for most of the game, so if you're looking for Xenosaga-style melodrama you're certainly not going to find it here. With that said, I think it really picks up after the first game. Hopefully SC makes it out in a timely fashion so people can see.

I just want a story to it. There's almost no real arcing story to the game. Most of what happened could have been cut and it wouldn't have hurt the game at all. 95% of the game is filler. We shouldn't have to play a 50+ hour game and then another 50+ hour game just to get to the story.

I just want a story to it. There's almost no real arcing story to the game. Most of what happened could have been cut and it wouldn't have hurt the game at all. 95% of the game is filler. We shouldn't have to play a 50+ hour game and then another 50+ hour game just to get to the story.

The story is the adventure of Joshua/Estelle.

desmax

Might be SC spoilers, I dunno
Well, it's not like SC goes any faster, really.
If you didn't enjoy the first game, you'll probably not going to enjoy the second

Aeana

There is story, though. I mean, stuff definitely happens in the game. It just isn't worldshattering 'wtf omg' revelatory stuff for most of it. It's just that kind of RPG where it's more about going on an adventure and building the world. The real villains don't show up until the second game though (despite being mentioned in the first), and I'll be the first to admit that the first game is poorly paced. I don't think they should have waited so long to introduce some of the stuff.

But, I mean, the series does continue like this. There's lots of lighthearted moments and Falcom likes to pack any big story stuff into the back end of a given chapter. It might just not be for you, though. I think your post is fair, because there will certainly be others who feel the way you do if they're looking for specific kinds of RPGs.

kiriin

Anyone that hasn't played the game and is on the fence about it really needs to keep their expectations low. Don't listen to GAF's hype. Trails in the Sky is the most overrated RPG since Final Fantasy VII. I finally made myself play through the PSP version last year and I was really disappointed with it. I don't think I've ever played a RPG as boring as it was. Nothing happens in the game until the very ending and even then, it wasn't very interesting.

Im really not sure why you delude yourself to the hype to the very point of disappointed; rather then have reasonable expectation for the game? The series won't appeal to everyone. I really can't stress it enough.
I think people made it clear in why they have been vocal in this series but nowhere has it ever been fabricated as the best jrpg ever.

We'll hit that bridge when it passes, right now, it's all about being excited for the first (or second counting FC PSP?) stop on the Trails Train.

I know! It was just a jokingly reference to the very start of the newer games.

Plot ≠ story. If the bulk of the story's based around character development and hanging out, then I won't mind so long as it's truly well-written. And plot's what the Ys games already excel at, so it makes sense for Falcom to try something different.

lol, One Steam user wants XSEED to localize DigiCube's Windows port of Lunar Silver Star Story Complete. That would be awesome, especially if they stuck closer to the original script/game than WD.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Honestly, that's one of the most amazing things I've seen on this site. Kudos to you

Thank you! It's been a blast to put together, and I don't even really know what station we're headed for.

Haha that's amazing! Is it too late to jump aboard? :p

There will be a hype train for SC at some point too, right?

Never too late... unless I'm asleep. But that won't be for some hours yet. Until then, let the Hype Update Continue:

iJCNw4rZ4tEWb.png

Plot ≠ story. If the bulk of the story's based around character development and hanging out, then I won't mind so long as it's truly well-written. And plot's what the Ys games already excel at, so it makes sense for Falcom to try something different.

Not to mention the fact that our protagonist are a pair of green-horn trainee mercenaries who's teenagers.

The story is written to very clearly give context and a strong sense of believability that you're playing a journey that's realistically experienced by who Joshua and Estelle are. They are often chaperoned and given guidance by more capable, experienced adults, they aren't part of any supah sekret 'Hero's Club', and it's a story that's honest to who the characters are.

Sure, there's dramatisation and
them being pulled into a plot larger than their stature
, but it's always done without feeling like a bullshit
teenagers defeat enemies experienced soldiers/heroes can't.

JRPGs often get flak for its 'teenagers saving za world111!!' plot, and the one time that a game decides to not do that, but instead give us a more grounded JRPG story befitting of their teenager status, it's not a story because nothing happens.

ZenaxPure

So on a more random note (that I've been meaning to ask since the thread was made) about how long is this game for first time players anyway? I know the first post says "over 50 hours" but I'm not really sure if that means the story or if that is including any side stuff as well. I usually try to do everything I can in a game, assuming I'm enjoying it of course.

Just kinda curious.

All the story talk has me getting even more excited. I love it when stories take their time and allow for development and world building.

So if you're still doing it, can I get on that train, because I know I'm mad hype for this.

So on a more random note (that I've been meaning to ask since the thread was made) about how long is this game for first time players anyway? I know the first post says "over 50 hours" but I'm not really sure if that means the story or if that is including any side stuff as well. I usually try to do everything I can in a game, assuming I'm enjoying it of course.

Just kinda curious.

Including the side stuff.

I'd say the story itself is a dense 30 hours experience, give or take.

Side-stuff and exploration adds an extra 20+ hours, depending on how much you explore and revisit NPCs.

ZenaxPure

Including the side stuff.

I'd say the story itself is a dense 30 hours experience, give or take.

Side-stuff and exploration adds an extra 20+ hours, depending on how much you explore and revisit NPCs.

Interesting, good to know. I like to go into games blind so I won't be using a walkthrough or anything so I'm expecting to miss some of that stuff anyway (unless it's all super obvious). If I enjoy it I'll probably end up doing another playthrough at some point to see everything.

Hyunickel

Neo Member
I'm looking for something with a really engaging story and solid set of characters, is this a game that ticks both boxes? Also I've got a VITA as well, so should I go ahead and get the PC version or pick up the PSP version of VITA?

Interesting, good to know. I like to go into games blind so I won't be using a walkthrough or anything so I'm expecting to miss some of that stuff anyway (unless it's all super obvious). If I enjoy it I'll probably end up doing another playthrough at some point to see everything.

You'll miss stuff, it's a game that has some obscure things that you aren't likely to find your first time through without a guide.

I'll just say this first.

It's nothing important, but you'll miss out quite a bit of the obscure side stuff because a lot of them is not only very time-sensitive, some of it requires you to pretty much go out of your way to look for it.

But the large majority of side-stuff in this game are pretty easy to find out, you'll know about it soon.

I'm looking for something with a really engaging story and solid set of characters, is this a game that ticks both boxes? Also I've got a VITA as well, so should I go ahead and get the PC version or pick up the PSP version of VITA?

What would you define as an engaging story?

If you're looking for a grand epic of gargantuan scale, this isn't the game for it. However, I do believe that it has an engaging story, if you're fine with slower, more subtle character-focused stories.

As for solid set of characters, my answer is yes, although B.K. obviously disagrees. So you'll have to decide for yourself.

Does the script make fun of their old age often? I keep hearing that this game does a lot of usual conventions well, and this would be one of them.

Folks in their 20s aren't old.

Yes, there's the usual conventions and cliches here and there, but it's not forced down your throat.
With one exception, which I liked anyway, so I didn't feel it as a negative point.

HRose

Banned

Just kinda curious.

http://www.howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=10011

JRPGs often get flak for its 'teenagers saving za world111!!' plot, and the one time that a game decides to not do that, but instead give us a more grounded JRPG story befitting of their teenager status, it's not a story because nothing happens.

This is such an important point, Trials FC tells a story of two teenagers that aren't superhuman or chosen ones, they just go in an adventure.

ramyeon

The characters are engaging and you'll get drawn into a world that is really well fleshed out (You can purchase newspapers and obtain chapters of books to read for example). There's a lot to do in this game and I found that made it really engaging. Others have said, but I'll reiterate that there isn't a grand or epic RPG story going on here for the most part. Things pick up towards the end, but it really is about the main characters and does feel like set up for what's to come. It will leave you wanting more, in a good way.

If you want an RPG that will make you feel like you've raised a super powered team of heroes that can destroy the ultimate evil, this is not for you. It's grounded in the reality it creates, and I think it's all the better for that.

As for versions. Either or. If you want to play it on the portable then grab the PSN version, it looks and plays great on the Vita. Otherwise get the PC release.

Ahegao

Banned
As a big fan of the series I too think that FC is boring as hell. Honestly, Falcom didn't figure out how to do a "WORDS WORDS WORDS"-RPG properly until Zero, the pacing during most of the Sora trilogy is completely fucked.

Hyunickel

Neo Member
The characters are engaging and you'll get drawn into a world that is really well fleshed out (You can purchase newspapers and obtain chapters of books to read for example). There's a lot to do in this game and I found that made it really engaging. Others have said, but I'll reiterate that there isn't a grand or epic RPG story going on here for the most part. Things pick up towards the end, but it really is about the main characters and does feel like set up for what's to come. It will leave you wanting more, in a good way.

If you want an RPG that will make you feel like you've raised a super powered team of heroes that can destroy the ultimate evil, this is not for you. It's grounded in the reality it creates, and I think it's all the better for that.

As for versions. Either or. If you want to play it on the portable then grab the PSN version, it looks and plays great on the Vita. Otherwise get the PC release.

I'm not looking for anything crazy out of the story, but rather something pretty solid. I even found Tales of Graces F's story to be good, so as long as it's as good or better than that I guess.

ramyeon

To be honest I've never found that site to be all that great. At least when I've compared people's times to my own clear times so I don't use it much.
Yeah, this did not take me 50 hours on my first play through. I think I was somewhere between 20 and 30 hours and I completed every side quest (Although I was missing 1 or 2 Bracer Points and 1 chapter of the book). I suppose it could take longer for some though.
I'm not looking for anything crazy out of the story, but rather something pretty solid. I even found Tales of Graces F's story to be good, so as long as it's as good or better than that I guess.
It's low key and character focused. It's also pretty episodic in that the chapters seem isolated and unrelated to each other besides the two main characters for the bulk of the game. Everything comes together in the end though, with some twists and turns.

Never played any Tales games so I can't say how it compares.

Shizuka

Yeah, this did not take me 50 hours on my first play through. I think I was somewhere between 20 and 30 hours and I completed every side quest (Although I was missing 1 or 2 Bracer Points and 1 chapter of the book). I suppose it could take longer for some though.

That's the average for people exploring everything 100% without a FAQ and talking to NPCs on a constant basis to check for new dialogue. I need to check my total playtime tomorrow, but it's close to 50 hours as well.

ramyeon

As a big fan of the series I too think that FC is boring as hell. Honestly, Falcom didn't figure out how to do a "WORDS WORDS WORDS"-RPG properly until Zero, the pacing during most of the Sora trilogy is completely fucked.
See, this is odd to me. Because bad pacing and boring RPGs don't mesh well with me, I can very rarely finish them before they get on my nerves and I just give up. But FC had me captivated for my entire play through and I was glued to it for the 4 or 5 days it took me to beat.

This is such an important point, Trials FC tells a story of two teenagers that aren't superhuman or chosen ones, they just go in an adventure.

I often feel that the complaints that JRPG gets about stuff like its teenager protagonist and stuff are often misguided.

I feel like the most important thing is whether or not the characters feel honest to the story that's being told. I don't feel like Trails is somehow worse off a story just because Tita is part of the cast, because her role is defined and grounded (to an extent) for what she is. Same with stuff like Persona.

ramyeon

That's the average for people exploring everything 100% without a FAQ and talking to NPCs on a constant basis to check for new dialogue. I need to check my total playtime tomorrow, but it's close to 50 hours as well.
Fair enough, just checked and my playtime was around 32 hours. Only used an FAQ for the books that are missable (And even then I missed one ha).

See, this is odd to me. Because bad pacing and boring RPGs don't mesh well with me, I can very rarely finish them before they get on my nerves and I just give up. But FC had me captivated for my entire play through and I was glued to it for the 4 or 5 days it took me to beat.

FC is just really a really charming game, I enjoyed every second of that game.

Ahegao

Banned

Well yeah, you probably liked the characters and enjoyed following their journey. But it's really obvious why someone would think it's boring: it's not an eventful adventure and it drags out even the simplest of developments while not providing anything in return. There is nothing to really justify the slowness, it's just slow.

Top Bottom