• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Looking to get into this franchise... Should I get FC on Vita or PC?

PC is ultimately the better option unless portability is a huge factor for you. Feature-wise they are the mostly the same with any benefits being on the PC side. Those benefits are relatively small though, mostly tweaked/improved translations for better consistency, and no disc swapping for SC.

Why weren't both files combined to one for digital??

What's going to happen when I need to "change disks"

Save, quit game, load other disc, resume. PSP doesn't really support multi-disc games very well, not surprising given how rare they are (this and Type-0?).

Tenebrous

I think Estelle is intended to be pretty balanced rather than art-heavy. So your options are to either have a bruiser or another fairly balanced character, both of which are good options.
I worded it poorly. I meant art-heavy compared to Agate and to a lesser extent Schera from what I recall of FC. Overall, it just seemed to be the pairing that made the most sense.

Ooooh, okay. Estelle is actually meant to be very balanced and so you can build her either way - I guess that didn't come through clear enough in the "decide what kind of bracer you want to be", even though that scene cleaves pretty dang close to the Japanese, all things considered. You do end up a little arts-heavy in Act 1 if you choose Schera, but it's still fine, just because Olivier and Kloe start strong.

Yeah, there's been no real weak link so far. Well, Kloe has been the most unused, but that's only because early game is easy and doesn't really require a dedicated healer.

Already played for 9 hours... Almost 5am. Sigh, still too dark to walk the dog.

PC is ultimately the better option unless portability is a huge factor for you. Feature-wise they are the mostly the same with any benefits being on the PC side. Those benefits are relatively small though, mostly tweaked/improved translations for better consistency, and no disc swapping for SC.

Wait, the translation is different between the copies?

Also is the Vita version 60fps

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, the translation is different between the copies?

Also is the Vita version 60fps

Yes, even SC has some translation changes on PC that were made during QA, when it was too late to change them on PSP. And it will probably continue to get some minor consistency improvements if XSEED continues with the series. PSP versions are almost definitely never getting any updates.

And no, PSP/Vita version is 30 FPS. PC version is unlocked.

Yes, even SC has some translation changes on PC that were made during QA, when it was too late to change them on PSP. And it will probably continue to get some minor consistency improvements if XSEED continues with the series. PSP versions are almost definitely never getting any updates.

And no, PSP/Vita version is 30 FPS. PC version is unlocked.

Check out the latest XSEED blog for the details, but basically they kept refining the script beyond the deadline for the PSP version.

And no, it's 30.

PC it is. Thank you.

Save, quit game, load other disc, resume. PSP doesn't really support multi-disc games very well, not surprising given how rare they are (this and Type-0?).

2-UMD games are rare because the PSP's natural support for them is not good, and because manufacturing them, even in Japan at the height of the PSP boom, was and is a tremendous pain in the ass. There's a design for 2-UMD packaging, but even in 2010/11, in the PSP's final years and about when Type-0 came out, you had to special-order that nonsense.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
2-UMD games are rare because the PSP's natural support for them is not good, and because manufacturing them, even in Japan at the height of the PSP boom, was and is a tremendous pain in the ass. There's a design for 2-UMD packaging, but even in 2010/11, in the PSP's final years and about when Type-0 came out, you had to special-order that nonsense.

Catch-22 then. Support is bad because there aren't any, and there aren't any because support is bad. Fun stuff.

Very safe to say SC would not have been a 2 UMD game if it didn't exist on PC first.

Eusis

Actually, me (probably?) misinterpreting that bit about Vita performance raises a question: are the Evolution games 30 or 60 FPS? I'd think it could do 60 easily, but I've learned to not underestimate either engine/coding limitations or development calls.
Catch-22 then. Support is bad because there aren't any, and there aren't any because support is bad. Fun stuff.

Very safe to say SC would not have been a 2 UMD game if it didn't exist on PC first.
Well, it can also be the system's actual software support for it is poor, can not be addressed with firmware updates, and so that is that.

Baliis

Man, I am suffering even through normal battles. Just got a bit into Chapter 1 though.

Also I have no idea what I'm doing while fishing. Every attempt has been a dud so far.

All the prologue battles were way tougher for me. Once you pick up a couple more levels and stuff in Chapter 1 though, it feels pretty good.

So I certainly know I've given XSEED a hard time about a thing or two in my time, but: massive congratulations for getting this title out, y'all. The huge effort put into the localization and programming is more than self-evident from the blog posts. Hoping this is a big success for you guys.

I bought 3. I am heavily considering buying 4 more to raise the count to 7.

I'm only a little bit ashamed to reveal that I bought six -- one physical PSP copy, one PSN, one for myself on Steam, and three on Steam to gift.

Normal or Hard mode?

Eh. Went hard since normal is labelled "a little challenging." Like some difficulty in my RPGs, even story driven one.

Aeana

Normal or Hard mode?

Eh. Went hard since normal is labelled "a little challenging." Like some difficulty in my RPGs, even story driven one.
The main difference between the difficulty levels is the HP totals. Battles on hard take way longer than they need to. And otherwise it isn't that much more difficult.

Eusis

So the higher difficulties really are more endurance matches than not? Yeah, don't really have tolerance for that sort of thing. Especially when a game is already damn long.

The main difference between the difficulty levels is the HP totals. Battles on hard take way longer than they need to. And otherwise it isn't that much more difficult.

Oh. Might just restart on normal then if that's the only difference. Thought the game might be more balanced for hard.

Thanks for the advice.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Makes me feel better about picking normal. So far I'm not really unhappy with the level of challenge for the early game (it's not hard, but if it picks up from here it should be good), but even on this difficulty the stronger enemies are kind of sponges. Prologue boss was really bad about this, that definitely felt more like an endurance test than an actual challenging battle.

"Just" hp being higher? Everything hitting 2-3x harder on hard when compared to normal is pretty big too lol. Can't even imagine what nightmare would be like.

The enforcers already had English names. Why did Xseed change it themselves?

I myself made the decisions on (most) of those. I previously mentioned the possibility on Twitter, but with a number of other folks involved doing blog posts, I'd like to do one or more posts with some "localizer's notes" on various decisions made during the loc process. I figured long-time Kiseki fans might be curious about a few of the choices I made.

In short, for the ones I'm responsible for "changing" (which are
"Bladelord", "Direwolf", and "Angel of Slaughter"
) were all done to better match the characters associated with them, and in all cases even match the intent of the kanji a little better.

I suspect some folks might ultimately disagree with my logic once I post it, but, well, that's high-level fiction translation/localization. At the level these games operate on, which is essentially literary, there's a lot of ways to handle translations of various things, and they're all "right".

Aeana

"Just" hp being higher? Everything hitting 2-3x harder on hard when compared to normal is pretty big too lol. Can't even imagine what nightmare would be like.
I didn't say it was the only difference, just that it's the most glaring and annoying difference. I really don't enjoy the higher difficulty modes in the first two Trails games. I think they did a better job with them in later games, but I still just prefer normal. Ain't nobody got time to spend an hour on a boss.

expel

I always play em on normal mode. One thing i hate about trails bosses, the boss keeps calling their "friends" on the battle field...仲間を呼んだ gahhhhhh

Dio

Banned
I reset, too, early on. SC is very obviously not balanced for regular, grind-less play on Hard.

Also, I bust out laughing the first time
Olivier
reappeared. Also I'm investigating a roaming
ghost so I'm at the school right now and Estelle and Kloe had their conversation and I'm in a spooky basement.

This game is so fucking good and I love that I decided to stop by that old fuck's lighthouse from FC and there was a secret sidequest there.

Eusis

I myself made the decisions on (most) of those. I previously mentioned the possibility on Twitter, but with a number of other folks involved doing blog posts, I'd like to do one or more posts with some "localizer's notes" on various decisions made during the loc process. I figured long-time Kiseki fans might be curious about a few of the choices I made.

In short, for the ones I'm responsible for "changing" (which are
"Bladelord", "Direwolf", and "Angel of Slaughter"
) were all done to better match the characters associated with them, and in all cases even match the intent of the kanji a little better.

I suspect some folks might ultimately disagree with my logic once I post it, but, well, that's high-level fiction translation/localization. At the level these games operate on, which is essentially literary, there's a lot of ways to handle translations of various things, and they're all "right".
I appreciate hearing the rationale here. I have admittedly gotten either mildly annoyed or even somewhat frustrated at seemingly arbitrary changes in the past, so it's always great to know the logic since I'd figure AT LEAST 9 times out of 10 it isn't just done purely on a whim.

max_505

Man, that homecoming part was oddly fitting. It's been more than 4 years since I first played FC, so I can kinda relate to Estelle in a way when she came back to Rolent.

Good Goddess Aidios. The feels in this game, man. The FEELS.

zakujanai

I just arrived in Rolent right at the very start but when the name appeared in the top right it was a rather garbled-looking "Grancel". Not a major issue because I knew it was Rolent, but still strange.

I didn't say it was the only difference, just that it's the most glaring and annoying difference. I really don't enjoy the higher difficulty modes in the first two Trails games. I think they did a better job with them in later games, but I still just prefer normal. Ain't nobody got time to spend an hour on a boss.

I hope I don't regret choosing hard.

I just arrived in Rolent right at the very start but when the name appeared in the top right it was a rather garbled-looking "Grancel". Not a major issue because I knew it was Rolent, but still strange.
I saw that too. I had a sudden FPS downspike from a program that suddenly opened in the background right then so I had assumed that caused the weird title.

Also, I decided to play on Hard Mode...but I'm not sure if I'm regretting it or not (at the boss in the forest in the prologue). I'll keep pushing, and maybe when I get access to more AoE arts it'll get better.

Are the enemies faster (more turns) on this mode, or does it just seem like they go too often because of how hard they hit? Their strength is definitely making me worry more about tactics than the HP boosts, even if that does also factor in.

aravuus

May or may not have used cheat engine a bit. This battle system is just incredibly boring, and I'm not even sure what the problem is.

Hopefully CS's combat is more interesting since cheating isn't an option on Playstation. Yay PC gaming!

MrDoctor

Sounds like a similar experience to playing the most recent Ys games on Nightmare. The restrictions placed on upgrading your gear in Celceta were particularly stupid imo.

Dantero

Is there any info on when the chest texts will be done? It's a small thing but I really liked it in FC.
If it doesn't take too long I might just play something else until then(Grandia 2 Anniversary).

max_505

Does anyone know the song title of that track that plays on the title screen?

Piano tracks on the title screen almost always have that epic, melancholic feel to it. It reminds me of Xenoblade's main theme.

Sounds like a similar experience to playing the most recent Ys games on Nightmare. The restrictions placed on upgrading your gear in Celceta were particularly stupid imo.

At least in the Nepisthim style Ys games the bosses had different patterns, so it was more than just bigger numbers (although that was also there).

I'd prefer if the difficulty settings here were also more complex attacks to deal with used more often, along with maybe a small stat boost. But of course that takes more effort.

wrowa

Okay, finally got the chance to play a bit. Didn't get around to it yesterday, since I still had some work to do. Only played for 30 minutes so far, but walking through the city and talking to all of the NPCs sure feels nice... A warm welcome after such a long time.

It still feels weird that I've got the English version of SC on my hard drive.

aravuus

Looks like Estelle is pretty terrible at filling the bracer book. I was given very specific locations to visit - the character who wants me to run around doing menial shit even MARKED the locations in my map - yet the bracer book only has vague "uhhh need to visit some vague place north of this vague field" descriptions for each lol

Goddamn it Estelle

Arthea

Looks like Estelle is pretty terrible at filling the bracer book. I was given very specific locations to visit - the character who wants me to run around doing menial shit even MARKED the locations in my map - yet the bracer book only has vague "uhhh need to visit some vague place north of this vague field" descriptions for each lol

Goddamn it Estelle

she has more important things to worry about as you know

aravuus

she has more important thing to worry about as you know

True

Seriously though, ch2 Q:
How do I get to Kaldia tunnels? Need to plant the sensor thingie there, but I just can't seem to find the way to get there

e: got it. In case someone else is wondering about the same thing:
B1 of the factory

zakujanai

Man, Estelle's denial at the beginning was tough to watch lol...

btw I'm not getting right stick camera rotation on my 360 controller. Is this an issue that anyone else is having? I feel naked without it.

I'm having the same issue. It still works on FC but not on SC. Not exactly a game breaker but having used right sick on Vita and on PC for FC it does feel a bit off to use L and R.

Edit: It was easy enough to map L and R to the stick in DS4windows and it's working fine.

I'm running around Rolent and it's so much fun and I feel like no time at all has passed.

And despite it having been four years, it feels like as soon as I talk to an NPC I wind up being like "oh right, I remember them".

I'm running around Rolent and it's so much fun and I feel like no time at all has passed.

And despite it having been four years, it feels like as soon as I talk to an NPC I wind up being like "oh right, I remember them".
Yeah. It's only been a year in my case, but I was also surprised as to how easily I remember the townsfolk once Estelle started talking to them. Yet I also felt bad for her since her reunion wasn't nearly as happy as she would have liked it to be.

Top Bottom