• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

Tenebrous

Not cool, spoiler tags bro.

Edit: Ahh, I gotcha. Sorry.

Seems like all my chapter 3 predictions turned out to be true. Kinda losing the will to continue at this point... Perhaps I've just played too many games, but I doubt the ending can shock me, and past that, what's the point?

zakujanai

No problem. I'm glad they seem more interesting this time, that's why I chose to go with them but haven't played any of the chapter yet. Excited to get back to it today. Totally doing a second play with the other character too though at some point.

epmode

Seems like all my chapter 3 predictions turned out to be true. Kinda losing the will to continue at this point... Perhaps I've just played too many games, but I doubt the ending can shock me, and past that, what's the point?

If you're playing Trails just to see how the story plays out or to see if it'll surprise you, I don't think you're going to have a good time. The fun is in the characterization and dialogue, both with your party members and the hundreds of NPCs.

It's a pretty laid back series.

Psxphile

p4PtHUN.jpg

Neat.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Guess you miss out on something (probably just BP) for not getting all the questions right during the Sunday School quest. Missed the Bracer principle one (had no idea and guessed). Also guessed on the last one, but got it right.

Tenebrous

No problem. I'm glad they seem more interesting this time, that's why I chose to go with them but haven't played any of the chapter yet. Excited to get back to it today. Totally doing a second play with the other character too though at some point.

I'm likely to do the same, but not for a while.

If you're playing Trails just to see how the story plays out or to see if it'll surprise you, I don't think you're going to have a good time. The fun is in the characterization and dialogue, both with your party members and the hundreds of NPCs.

It's a pretty laid back series.

The ending of FC shocked me, I gotta be honest. If there's something like that at the end of SC, I'll be more than satisfied. If it just ends with a
sponge-like easy to kill boss fight, Joshua & Estelle getting together, and no deaths... Eh, that would be amazingly boring.

Chapter 2 complete! I'm now able to predict the next three chapter's structure, unfortunately, but so far they've been fairly different once you're in the thick of things. The fight against
Walter
's worms makes better use of Chain Crafts than in the last chapter's fight, but I like the first orchestral boss theme more. I was surprised at how short the
Mt. Elmo Fountainhead
dungeon was compared to underneath the
old Jenis campus
; focus here's on avoiding map traps while not getting recklessly and surprised by enemies. Limestone Cave's gonna have to wait another day. Olivier will (for his sake) never know Kilika's fury. Heads-up: visiting Carnelia Tower isn't encouraged via side-quest like with Sapphirl Tower in Chapter 1, but it's worth a trip anyhow.

Missed the Bracer principle one (had no idea and guessed).
Same. It's one of the first notes in your Bracer's Notebook, but it's easy to gloss over after playing through FC. For the characters not knowing the order is probably more significant, as that's part of your Bracer training and getting it wrong is embarrassing out of disrespect.

Eusis

How do they support dual audio if they don't have Japanese voice files?
If that isn't just some photoshopped thing or whatever: I'm guessing there might've been something put into the localized code when they were more optimistic about that, but when it got fully and utterly shot down it was dummied out. And wouldn't actually DO anything if enabled anyway.

XSEED's shown an awesome willingness to support this as far as they realistically can, but I guess Falcom and Atlus Japan may be similar in that they're horrible about licensing deals that are friendly to foreign releases. Maybe cheaper to just keep it Japan-only, or the VA companies are just frustrating sticks in the mud about it.

zakujanai

I haven't bought an album in years, just bought the SC soundtrack on iTunes.

I'm up at 5am because I couldn't sleep forvthe last two hours because I'm too excited to get playing SC again. I'm literally like a kid at Christmas, didn't think I'd get this stupidly excited about anything again at the age of 34. Only problem is I have to wait for my partner to wake up so we can play it together.

I'm going to pass the time listening to my new soundtrack :)

Psxphile

If that isn't just some photoshopped thing or whatever: I'm guessing there might've been something put into the localized code when they were more optimistic about that, but when it got fully and utterly shot down it was dummied out. And wouldn't actually DO anything if enabled anyway.

XSEED's shown an awesome willingness to support this as far as they realistically can, but I guess Falcom and Atlus Japan may be similar in that they're horrible about licensing deals that are friendly to foreign releases. Maybe cheaper to just keep it Japan-only, or the VA companies are just frustrating sticks in the mud about it.

Well, it's my screenshot. The SC voice files are already out there. I can verify it's legit. Still playing with English voices though, I just wanted to see if it worked.

Famassu

Going through the text recap of First Chapter. Since I decided to buy this for PC already, I don't have the patience to go for a 100% playthrough that I was in the middle of (and only in the prologue) that I though I'd do before this is released for PSP in Europe, so I thought I'd just read through all of it and use a 100% save file copy to get going with SC. But damn is this long even if you just read through it. :S Kind of antsy to just get through with it and start with SC, but I'll probably take better part of today, at the very least, to get through the recap. Oh well, what's one or two more days after having played FC's English version at release. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, finally bought the OST for Second Chapter since I managed to find it for just little over 20€ through eBay. Now I have all the regular OSTs except the two most recent ones, Sen no Kiseki I & II's. Would love to find some of the Super Arrange & other arrangement albums for the earlier Sora no Kiseki entries (and other Falcom games too), but those are so hard to find and/or expensive. :'(

Anyone know the ingredients need to finish the side quest in chapter 1?
Rule of thumb is to go everywhere and anywhere you can find monsters, then grind a bit to ensure you have the trickier ingredients. I didn't know what I was looking for the whole time, but I knew to check in with Orvid right before flying to Zeiss, and I'd definitely gone everywhere I could looking for the stuff.

Dice//

Banned
Progress: So far....kinda meh. lol, I like the prologue in SC less than the one in FC for being an even lamer "tutorial chapter" attempt. I'm not doubting my mind will change, but it's a bit of a weak start.

Psxphile

Do I have to manually unequip
Anelace in the Prologue
or will the game do it automatically?

Game does it automatically. For the most part, FC was good about this when a character was going to be out of your party for quite some time, I assume SC will be the same.

max_505

About that quest in Ruan where you have to get the ingredients that aren't on the client's list, how many ingredients are there to collect?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know the ingredients need to finish the side quest in chapter 1?

Juicy Bone, Lucky Fang, Curative Horn, Tender Poultry, Fish Egg, and Bird Egg are what I cleared the quest with.
You can end the quest early, but you get a better reward if you do all of them. Monster book tells you what drops them, and if you got the Luck quartz that makes it easier to get them.

Not 100% sure those are the only ones he accepts, there are a few other ingredients not on his list you can get in the region but I don't know if he would take those in place of any of the ones I mentioned.

Kensuke

Finally beat the prologue boss on hard... that only took like... 2 hours.

I really don't think there's a 'good' way to win that. If the boss decides to keep healing dishing out 1-2k damage per turn is simply unreasonable without getting destroyed. The only particularly useful tactic I noticed is if you space your characters kinda far apart (but not too far apart) then the boss will waste some turns going back and forth. And you have to just kind of get lucky on the AI being dumb and every once in a while you actually get to attack.

Even on my winning fight the boss healed himself about 6 times which meant he had 15000hp. It was like 20-30 minutes of heal, heal heal, poke for 400 damage, heal, heal, heal, heal, poke for 300 damage.

Has anyone taken him down on nightmare? I don't want to even think about that.

Wait, he could heal? In all my fights against him on hard he never healed once. He did use a buff that granted him more attack and speed.

Damptoe

Neo Member
I shouldn't have started on Nightmare. It only took me a few hours to beat the chest monsters and first boss, but the second boss is impossible. Hopefully Hard makes it a bit more doable.

Psxphile

Really starting to think that no one is meant to play Hard and/or Nightmare on a normal run. Should be saving that for New Game+.

aravuus

Saying that, the games as a whole (except for maybe FC's ending) have been very, very predictable so far.

Gotta agree with this. Hope chapter 3 is the last one following the "
visit a city, meet up with old friends, come across a wacky problem, find out it's one of ouroboros' enforcer's that's behind it, confront them
" formula. It's boring.

Finalow

when I got into the forest in the prologue the location's name was messed up. someone else had the same?

btw, not sure if the question you're asked in the forest the first time you're there can give you bonus BPs, but if it does it already means that the neoseeker guide I linked a few pages ago isn't good at all for max BP.

I didn't say it was the only difference, just that it's the most glaring and annoying difference. I really don't enjoy the higher difficulty modes in the first two Trails games. I think they did a better job with them in later games, but I still just prefer normal. Ain't nobody got time to spend an hour on a boss.
nah, the HP boost is actually the less annoying one. the damage difference is huge so chances are that you're going to waste much more time dying and retrying than doing the actual fight. restarted on normal

first dungeon mobs + boss on nightmare = 800-1000 damage per hit, 1300+ damage per hit.
first dungeon mobs + boss on normal = 100-200 damage per hit, 300+ damage per hit.

not to mention the difference in speed and the fact that you get less exp in higher difficulties, which is something I don't like at all, it should be the exact opposite. there were some bosses in FC that got much more annoying because of the huge HP pool but usually that's not the problem.

Varion

when I got into the forest in the prologue the location's name was messed up. someone else had the same?
Location name images being messed up does seem to be a thing, yeah, it's just...oddly inconsistent where it happens. It happened to me with a different area, reset, the second time it came up fine. Then you've had it there, a friend's had it somewhere else, I had another one later in the game too...

So yeah, it just seems to be something like 'when a place name appears, 5% chance of it being messed up' or...something. I'll leave narrowing the cause down further than that to Sara.

Yeah I'm gonna go back and restart on normal I imagine once you get more characters and quartz hard might be doable but as of right now when bosses deal more damage then I can heal in a turn that just isn't fun >:|

max_505

Got them all except the
Bracer 1/2/3 question.

I honestly didn't know that the Bracer Guild was around 50 years old already. And that Arseille question came out of nowhere. Good thing I got lucky on that.
Still, it was a pretty fun quest, IMO.

Fuck that photo taking side quest

So,
where is the right spot to take the photo? I got the "okay-ish" result. Probably lost a bracer point there.

So,
where is the right spot to take the photo? I got the "okay-ish" result. Probably lost a bracer point there.
Trick answer: you need
Dorothy along with you (just before the chapter dungeon)
to get the best shot possible. If you
try and take a photo up there with Dorothy in your party
, that will trigger a conversation. It's weird because usually I slam through requests ASAP, but this one rewards you for cutting it close with time.

go through the guy at the front desk's options again

Thanks.

Getting into Chapter 2 now, I honestly wasn't expecting
this much reuse of environments. We're doing cool stuff here, but it feels like FC. Again, still loving the game, but I do hope we get some more new stuff soon.I figure new areas are coming soon.

I do love how this game weaves in side quests into the narrative and gameplay. There is very little ludonarrative dissonance in these compared to other side quest heavy RPGs because A) It's your job as a bracer, and B) There is no ticking time bomb.

, that will trigger a conversation. It's weird because usually I slam through requests ASAP, but this one rewards you for cutting it close with time.

Argh, that sucks. Cursed by trying to clear out the quest right away.

zakujanai

That's just plain evil. I even thought about her when I was using the camera but she wasn't anywhere around so I never considered the possibility of needing her there. Oh well, I knew I'd never get a perfect run first time, I'm just happy I've haven't missed a book yet (I definitely will at some point)

max_505

Damn. That never occurred to me
since I haven't even met Dorothy at that point in the game.

lol, I already missed volume two of Gambler Jack anyway. This game has incentive for NG+ with another partner character anyway, so I'll read that serial then. And I still haven't gotten Doll Knight stuff.

Hmm, does the first one work on vita? Is it still being sold? Debating whether to play on vita or my old psp go. Leaning toward the latter because I loved how small it was.

Top Bottom